Rowing And Asthma Or Other Respiratory Problems

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] timothyenglert

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] timothyenglert » October 24th, 2004, 1:24 pm

I've relied on the Concept 2 rower over the years to assist me in coping with my lifelong bout with asthma. It's simple, non impact motion has made breathing deeply and with control a boon to my well being. I wonder how many fellow rowers live with asthma or other respiratory problems, and whether they feel that the Concept 2 has assisted them in breathing a bit easier. Would love to hear from you.

[old] Birdi

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Birdi » October 24th, 2004, 1:59 pm

I agree, I have asthma and other respiratory problems and exercise like rowing is very beneficial for lung function. Bonus to indoor rowing is that one can escape some of the outside pollutants/irritants. I live on a farm in the country in WA state so enjoy pretty great air, but pollen can be a problem. I walk outdoors and row inside! Glad to hear from other breathing challenged persons.

[old] drkcgoh

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] drkcgoh » October 27th, 2004, 6:46 pm

Exercise Induced Asthma is a slightly different condition precipitated by exertion at maximum capacity under dry and cold conditions. I shy away from competition because it brings on these bouts of coughing that lead to an asthma-like attack if any cold water gets into the wrong pipes. There are tests to detect those prone to this condition, and inhalants to prevent it. Gradually increasing intensity of training will also help prevent it.<br>KC63

[old] captain

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] captain » October 28th, 2004, 7:31 am

I feel the same I do have bad asthma and other respiratory problems. Exercise like rowing is very beneficial for lung function. I found just by keeping a better fitness level the asthma decrease, but there always the allergies season where you can't do much about it. One thing is sure you can just improve it by rowing.

LindaM

Health and Fitness

Post by LindaM » October 28th, 2004, 11:59 am

Talk to your doctor about Flovent - a preventive inhalant. Flovent and long daily workouts - mostly at UT2 & UT1 pace, have totally eliminated my asthma. Even in a cat-filled environment (formally a prescription for disaster), I can maintain a high level of lung capacity.

[old] Birdi

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Birdi » October 28th, 2004, 1:24 pm

Linda, you got it, Flovent is the trick, seems I never had to use albuterol anymore because it was prevented in the first place....I have made health changes for myself (no smoking or smoke environments) exercise, diet, etc and since mine is only plant and not animal allergy I still have my dusty cockatoos and other birds, cats, dogs, etc (I have a farm) and other than various plant seasons and exhaust from traffic (I rarely go near a city) I am free, I even heat with wood stove...in my case, my own changes mainly smoking and exercise after gaining control with Flovent have been the real ticket....cant rule out the C2, it's my lifesaver!

[old] timothyenglert

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] timothyenglert » October 28th, 2004, 5:15 pm

Thanks for your responses. When Flovent came out several years ago, it was the first drug that allowed me to break free from a lifelong dependance on Theophylline, an insidious drug that I would take daily in doses as much as 1200 mg. The break was dramatic both physically and psychologically. Eventually, Advair came on the market, which is a combination of Advair and other shorter term drugs. This allowed me to feel more free from my asthma than anything else. I've had a combination of environmentally induced asthma (dust, animal hair, mold, etc.), weather induced (cold air, changes in temperature or humidity), and exercise induced as well. I found that, at one point in my life when my asthma was particularly bad, the C2 offered a sort of therapy that focused on simple, deep breathing in a highly controlled and self paced method. Having looked to aerobic activity throughout my life as one of my many therapies, I found the C2 to be the most effective, since it allowed me to concentrate entirely on the process of breathing deeply in and out. As long as I started very slowly, and didn't push myself too quickly to a rapid pace, I found that my breathing was much stronger, and my confidence was also dramatically improved. I keep my pace somewhere between 18-22 spm, and at that pace I can take one breath per stroke very comfortably. Also, the full body motion of rowing is very much a metaphor for breathing.

[old] gman953

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] gman953 » October 29th, 2004, 9:29 pm

ya i use flovent 2 and it works great i also use rinocort nasal spray which helps a tons 2. My doctor also said to take flovent if you are getting a cold and it should help with that.