LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Restless
1k Poster

Re: Another Meter Millionaire !!

Post by Restless » October 14th, 2012, 3:44 am

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Meter Millionaire Bonanza!!! We've got TWO meter millionaires today!! Congratulations, Jeff P, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!! Way to row!

Congrats Jeff on your 1million!

Welcome back both Robyn and Jodie J

I would also like to thank everyone for the congrats on my own million, I am more then embarrassed to admit that this time last year I didn't even have 30k done yet! Thank you everyone for the huge motivation, and fun times :D @Matthew B... you will get your 1 million (and more) I am sure :) I find it is such a good feeling to see the meters going by, if its the first 10k of the season or the first 1 million going by.

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 10.13.12

Post by Kona2 » October 14th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Image Day 30/31 of 31

The finish line looms for those in the southern hemisphere today...and tomorrow we finish up this challenge in the northern hemisphere! Both Challenge teams are staying in the top ten percent of all the teams. Ron is getting close to that million meter challenge mark. Jay threw down a 100K and then followed it with 68K the next day. Makes me hurt just to think about it....

Season meters as of 165/365 = 76,002,018 m

Total meters on the day = 2,126,983 m

Oars in space (participation) = 31 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

3.55 MM Ron
2.7 MM Richard T
2.6 MM Cathie
2.45 MM Michelle
1.9 MM Brett
1.85 MM Danno
1.15 MM Matt F
1.15 MM Christa
1.1 MM Anita
850 K Harold
700 K Marty
600 K Roger
350 K Dennis
50 K Matt B - actually pretty close to 100 K

Thanks, everyone, for rowing with us!

Brian C 5,000 m
Peter G 6,108 m
Bobbie 7,100 m
AJ 7,147 m
Carolyn 7,212 m
Tammy 7,500 m
Nataliya 8,500 m
Marty ImageImageImageImage m
Harold 9,500 m
K2 10,000 m
Rebecca 10,000 m
Tim K 10,000 m
Tim P 11,048 m
David T 12,000 m
Marie 12,000 m
Roger 12,000 m
Rivka 12,500 m
Jim 12,600 m
Cathie 15,000 m
Sam 15,000 m
Anita ImageImageImageImageImage m :D
Tim G 17,500 m
Sarah 19,500 m
Matt F 20,000 m
Ronnie 20,000 m
Zander 20,000 m
Dennis 21,097 m ... mooning us!
Ron 21,097 m ... another half moon!
Rosi 21,098 m ... half moon !
Michelle 21,100 m ... half moon plus some !
Minnie 21,727 m .. half moon plus some !
Danno 21,941 m .. half moon and more!
Richard T 25,000 m ... half moon and more!
Christa 31,110 m
Matt B 47,646 m ...wowzer....that's a lot of meters...almost doubled your total in a single day! Full moon and more!
Brett 54,113 m
Jay 68,000 m
Robyn 715,693 m
Jodie 745,703 m

BigBrett58
2k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by BigBrett58 » October 14th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Good job Matt! Way to push.

Jay, I think your second day is even more impressive than your first. You have to be hurting right now. Wow. That really is amazing.

nl07695
1k Poster

the number dream...

Post by nl07695 » October 14th, 2012, 1:43 pm

hi Jan, read this on KFOX (so it must be amazing :P ) and hadto share it with you http://dmreg.co/RlH4Zw

mattblakkius
Paddler

Post by mattblakkius » October 14th, 2012, 5:04 pm

BigBrett58 wrote:Good job Matt! Way to push.

Jay, I think your second day is even more impressive than your first. You have to be hurting right now. Wow. That really is amazing.
Have to say its great being among a bunch of "luna-tics" ;) I did my first half marathon today and it was great,
but i have a question for all you guys who do some insane meters in a day.. How do you keep your rear end ' comfortable'? Its something that bugged me in my last 5k esp. :D

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Another Meter Millionaire !!

Post by bg » October 14th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Meter Millionaire Bonanza!!! We've got TWO meter millionaires today!! Congratulations, Jeff P, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!! Way to row!

wooo hooo and congrats rebecca and jeff,,,and a huge thank-you to k2 and da do ron ron from me too...and great rowing everyone....luna-tics and overcoming disabilities folks rock :}

BigBrett58
2k Poster

Post by BigBrett58 » October 14th, 2012, 6:17 pm

mattblakkius wrote:
BigBrett58 wrote:Good job Matt! Way to push.

Have to say its great being among a bunch of "luna-tics" ;) I did my first half marathon today and it was great,
but i have a question for all you guys who do some insane meters in a day.. How do you keep your rear end ' comfortable'? Its something that bugged me in my last 5k esp. :D
The best advice I can give you is as you row more, your rear end will build up endurance. What I do to prolong how long I can go is to sit upright and straighten my back and flex my rear end. I'm not using my back at all to row, so just using my legs and arms. I row like that for about 30 seconds to a minute. This relieves some pressure and buys me 5 to 10 minutes before i have to do it again. I don't know if that makes any sense or will work for anyone else. It's just something I figured out the in the last week. If you're not worried about getting a best time, put it on "just row" and just stand up and stretch your hamstrings for 30 seconds and start rowing again.

jay
Paddler

Post by jay » October 14th, 2012, 7:35 pm

That is great advice from Big Brett, Matt. You can always stretch and take a break of a minute or so. Also, way, way back, this was discussed on the forum with some super advice from many teammates. I don't know when it was posted but maybe Kona , Minnie, or Ron recall. They have excellent memories for old codgers :D
jaybird

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » October 14th, 2012, 9:20 pm

macbruce1 wrote:
jay wrote:That is great advice from Big Brett, Matt. You can always stretch and take a break of a minute or so. Also, way, way back, this was discussed on the forum with some super advice from many teammates. I don't know when it was posted but maybe Kona , Minnie, or Ron recall. They have excellent memories for old codgers :D
jaybird
What has worked well for this "old codger" on the longer rows is a combination of the streching once in a while and periodically massaging my glutes and quads with something known as "The Stick". It is a series of hard plastic cylinders mounted on a semi-flexible rod with hand grips at each end. I find that just a few seconds of vigoruous massage with this enalbles me to row without discomfort for quite a while. I bought it from Road Runner Sports, but I first tried it out at the fitness expo before the Vermont City Marathon, so I'm sure it is available elsewhere.
With experience you will discover what ever works best for you.
Happy Rowing
Da Do Ron Ron
I'm with Ron...stretching will help greatly...

Cheers BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » October 14th, 2012, 10:20 pm

jay wrote:That is great advice from Big Brett, Matt. You can always stretch and take a break of a minute or so. Also, way, way back, this was discussed on the forum with some super advice from many teammates. I don't know when it was posted but maybe Kona , Minnie, or Ron recall. They have excellent memories for old codgers :D
jaybird
Hah! Thank you for your nod to codgers, young Jaybird.

I have two seat pads that I stack (gel on top).
One is gel (similar to this: http://www.gelsport.com/product_rowing_red.html), and the other is the
sore-no-more: http://jlracing.stores.yahoo.net/stock- ... ories.html

I found that bubble wrap and foam cushions changed my body position, plus they shred quickly.
Rowing shorts work well, as a lot of other shorts have the seams and padding in the wrong places.

I also use rowing gloves, mostly after about 10K: http://www.newgrip.com/rowing.html

In addition to stretching, those big exercise balls help unbend me. (Old codger issue, mostly.)

mattblakkius
Paddler

Post by mattblakkius » October 15th, 2012, 4:27 am

Thanks Everyone for your advice. I shall give them all a go and hopefully have a more comfy row next time!

( The wife seems to think i have enough padding already attached to my back side, :D )

BigBrett58
2k Poster

Post by BigBrett58 » October 15th, 2012, 7:05 am

I used to have a lot more padding attached, but it didn't translate into a cushioned ride.

BigBrett58
2k Poster

Post by BigBrett58 » October 15th, 2012, 7:07 am

Congrats Ron on hitting 1 million meters in the competition. You got it with a whole day to spare. I knew you could do it.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » October 15th, 2012, 7:29 am

Congrats Ron for passing 1 million meters in the challenge . Congrats to you and Brett for an outstanding month/challenge of consistantly awesome rowing.
Matt, advice given so far is the best . I used to use a cushion from a wheelchair but now sometimes use a stadium pad that the school sells for football and baseball games. Works well for old codgers like me and my lovely wife Bobbie. Not sure how to describe it , but it is about 2" thick and fits most " derrieres" (generic) Congrats on your first of many half marathons.
jim

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » October 15th, 2012, 7:59 am

Way to Row Ron 1 Million Meters in The Challenge