1 Year Today

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Sir Pirate

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » September 1st, 2004, 10:55 am

Not really news, but it is not often I say I will do something and then stick to it, but today is 1 year to the day I gave up smoking <br><br>I feel so much better for it too. <br><br>If you are a smoker, it IS worth giving up.<br><br>Sir Pirate

LindaM

Health and Fitness

Post by LindaM » September 1st, 2004, 11:30 am

There's an accomplishment worth applauding! Congratulations. And thanks for keeping the air around you cleaner too!

[old] DavidA

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] DavidA » September 1st, 2004, 1:06 pm

Congratulations! I'm sure it hasn't been easy. Good luck on keeping it up, as well as with your erging.<br><br>David<br>

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » September 1st, 2004, 4:13 pm

Congratulations.

[old] Prufrock

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Prufrock » September 2nd, 2004, 5:42 am

Congrats<br><br><br>I gave up about five years ago and while I'm not sure whether it has helped sporting performance, I do feel a lot healthier, cleaner, and, of course, richer. I don't have that stale tobacco smell hanging around me all the time and I can actually smell and taste my food.<br><br>Funny enough I haven't missed smoking very much since I stopped. Maybe, like yourself, I have strong "won't" power.<br><br>Stay strong<br><br>Bernard

[old] Cran

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Cran » September 2nd, 2004, 6:25 am

Aren't cigarettes good?<br><br>They are like resistance training for your lungs? must be better than that power breathe thing.<br><br>

[old] brianric

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] brianric » September 2nd, 2004, 8:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Cran+Sep 2 2004, 05:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Cran @ Sep 2 2004, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Aren't cigarettes good?<br><br>They are like resistance training for your lungs? must be better than that power breathe thing.<br><br> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Sad part is there are some people who reuse to quit, even as they hack up half their lungs every day in a coughing spell. Congratulations on staying off the cigarettes.

[old] Sir Pirate

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » September 3rd, 2004, 3:49 am

Thanks all <br><br>It is nice to get a sense of smell back and to also be able to taste what food really tastes like.<br><br>It's strange though, how I still get the odd craving. Any ex smokers of many years still get this? How long does it last?<br><br>Thanks again<br><br>Sir Pirate

[old] Duane Licudi

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Duane Licudi » September 3rd, 2004, 4:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Sep 1 2004, 09:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Sep 1 2004, 09:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not really news, but it is not often I say I will do something and then stick to it, but today is 1 year to the day I gave up smoking  <br><br>I feel so much better for it too.  <br><br>If you are a smoker, it IS worth giving up.<br><br>Sir Pirate<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Congratulations. I quit smoking too, around 7 months ago, although for the second time.<br><br>Since I started erging and keeping fit generally this past July I found it a good distraction from having quit smoking, and no longer find myself craving a cigarette, ever. I find my resolve is much stronger than before now that I'm more into healthier eating and fitness.<br><br>Keep it up

[old] Cran

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Cran » September 3rd, 2004, 7:15 am

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's strange though, how I still get the odd craving. Any ex smokers of many years still get this? How long does it last?<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Didn't take long when I quit before i wasn't getting cravings any more, a few months maybe. Didn't have patches or anything then either so not sure if that helps or not, I just decided to quit one day and did.<br><br>I never want a cigarette when I'm sober, but I do still ocasionally smoke a few when I'm drunk if other people are smoking.

[old] Bayko

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Bayko » September 3rd, 2004, 7:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Sep 3 2004, 07:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Sir Pirate @ Sep 3 2004, 07:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br><br><br><br>It's strange though, how I still get the odd craving. Any ex smokers of many years still get this? How long does it last?<br><br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>My wife says that you may have a long way to go. She quit 20 years ago and still occasionally gets a strong urge, although her desire to stay off them is greater.<br><br>A couple of friends returned to smoking after being off them for 5 years or more. They were not doing any exercise though, which I think helps to resist, and would frequently socialize at places with lots of smokers (pubs, etc.), which I think tempted them beyond the ability to resist. <br><br>Congratulations to you and good luck in making it a permanent situation.<br><br>Rick<br><br>

[old] Ralph Earle

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ralph Earle » September 3rd, 2004, 3:04 pm

I smoked a pack a day in the 1960s; I quit January 1, 1970.<br><br>But, believe it or not, every two or three years I have a dream/nightmare in which I'm smoking again. Everything seems totally real. I can taste it, feel it, smell it, and in the dream I freak out -- "I can't believe I'm smoking again!" <br><br>Most of the time, while still dreaming, l realize "Wait, this is just a dream -- I'm OK." But the last time, about six months ago, I was convinced that it was not a dream, and was very upset.<br><br>I have no explanation for this. My smoking was almost wholly social, and I had no withdrawal symptoms when I quit.

[old] Mark Keating

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Mark Keating » September 3rd, 2004, 7:12 pm

Congrats, sir pirate. I have a brother and two sisters that I would like to see kick the habit, but I realize that it is much easier said than done.<br>Way to go!<br><br>Mark

[old] Meerkats

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Meerkats » September 4th, 2004, 9:51 am

Congratulations Sir Pirate, I gave up nearly two years ago and the cravings are only by association, i.e. the ones you enjoyed, after a climb, after a cave etc, but they are mental cravings and not physical ones, just remember the difference.<br><br>I was fit when I smoked and used it as an excuse, now I dont I think I'm twice as fit, although, and I don't know if any one else has the experience it appears your lungs recover but the body doesn't quite keep up. I suffered more than a few niggles in the first few months after giving up, whilst the lungs were raring to go.<br><br>Loving not smoking and annoyed I started int ehfirst place, but that was my brothers fault. Alos my girlfirend snogs me lots more<br><br>keep it up<br><br>Chris W

[old] debs

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] debs » September 4th, 2004, 12:07 pm

I'm sure you know how good giving up the smoking is for your body. <br><br>About 3 years ago my mom was in hospice with lung cancer from smoking. On occasion my mom would cough up a nasty thick brown substance. My nephew, who had spent years in his youth working the tobacco fields of Kentucky, said my mom's cough smelled exactly like raw tobacco plants.<br><br>If smokers were to volunteer in a hospice, they might see enough illness first-hand to help them quit. <br><br>I'll keep up my 5-days per week in the gym.<br><br><br><br>