TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by damselfly » August 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm

A big TimBukTOO shout-out of welcome to new member Nan Patout! Welcome aboard, Nan! We're glad to have you here in our modest little boat. If you get the chance, please stop by the forum and introduce yourself! Meanwhile, a thrifty and thrumming 13 of 48 members (27%) logged 126,105 total meters Sunday!

Milestones achieved:
Mark E hit 500K, Nan P hit 15K!! Congratulations!!

Approaching milestones:
Kyle is nearing 1.5M (-47,280m), Andy is clanking along towards 600K (-36,549m), Sarah is eyeing 600K (-49,516m), Jamie is driving towards 100K (-2,781m), and Nan is on the road (rowed?) towards 25K (-5,142m). Row strong, team!

Posted Meters:
Kyle J - 25,000 Big day!!
Nan P - 19,858 Welcome aboard!
Andy I - 14,357 Dry as a bone!
Mark E - 12,000 All wet behind the ears!

Adam M - 11,500 Looking good!
Matthew R - 11,200 Got that consistency thing DOWN! :)
Fred B - 8,276 Big one for Freddie!
Jamie B - 6,914 Layin' down the meters!
Keith J - 6,000 Good streak going across the pond!
Walter W - 3,000 Looks like another daily rower!
Rivka L - 3,000 Streaks..
Jerry H - 3,000 ... all ...
Sarah H - 2,000 ... unbroken!!

-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

The Blacksmith
2k Poster

Post by The Blacksmith » August 20th, 2012, 5:31 pm

There's not too many of "my types" ANYWHERE,I'm too crazy for anyone to want to be like me :lol: :lol: , and the erg IS a wonderful torture device, BUT, I disagree Sir. When you're on the water,in a torture device of a different design, adding in wind, current, running into stuff and almost ending up in the water instead of on it-nothing compares. Just look what Ratty (from "the Wind in the Willows") said, "There is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." SOOO, A double Bah! to You Sir, A Double! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 21st, 2012, 10:51 am

All hands on deck, eyes searching the horizon for any signs of our Cap'n!! Has he been seized by pirates? Has he been eaten by sharks? Stung senseless by jellyfish? Has he burned to a crisp on a beach somewhere, having forgotten his SPF 90 sunscreen?! Meanwhile, back in the boat, a fit and feisty 15 of 48 members (31%) logged 139,176 total meters Monday!

Approaching milestones:
David is close to 2.4M (-8,184m), Kyle is eyeing 1.5M (-37,280m), Matthew is closing on 800K (-49,002m), John is nearing 700K (-24,782m), Andy is making for 600K (-31,499m), Sarah is nearing 600K (-42,016m), Brent is coming up on 250K (-23,264m), Rob is closing on 200K (-14,084m), and Nancy is approaching 200K (-18,538m).

Posted Meters:
David W - 25,200 Stellar, as always!
Rob M - 18,073 Big! Long movie? ;)
Brent C - 14,000 Attaboy!
Matthew R - 11,200 Keep on truckin'...
Kyle J - 10,000 No problem with dog days here!
Keith J - 8,008 The streak is alive!
John S - 7,693 Nice!
Sarah H - 7,500 Excellent!
Nancy W - 7,109 Great distances!
Lisa H - 7,028 7k today should get me week 3 in Dog Days...
Rivka L - 5,500 Sweet!
Andy I - 5,050 6 in a row!
Adam M - 5,000 Steady as she goes!
Fred B - 4,315 Nice!
Jerry H - 3,500 Unstoppable!

-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 21st, 2012, 6:47 pm

The Blacksmith wrote:There SOOO, A double Bah! to You Sir, A Double! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bah! I will not be rebuffed! :P
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

nancypants
Paddler

Post by nancypants » August 21st, 2012, 9:09 pm

Hi everyone -

I'm Nan Patout, a forty year old high school math teacher from Louisiana. I have struggled with weight and fitness my entire adult life, but I feel like I am on the right track now after restarting rowing last week. I have actually been lurking in this forum for the past couple of days - I find it interesting that y'all recently discussed how to boost membership, when I actually switched to this team from another because it's a lot smaller and I feel like I can keep track of people better. :D

Rather than make long term goals that I probably won't end up keeping, right now I am doing the beginner Pete's Plan and taking it one week at a time (I started week two tonight). I am trying to focus more on consistency and less on speed. I am not a morning person (understatement), so I am trying to make sure to find time to row in the afternoons/evenings - so far, planning ahead has worked out pretty well!

Glad to be aboard - thanks for the welcome, Lisa.

NP

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » August 21st, 2012, 9:57 pm

Welcome aboard Nan!

I started rowing in earnest last December, and in doing so I've lost some weight and lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure significantly. Now rowing is a way of life for me; sometimes a grind, but usually one of the highlights of the day.

This board specifically, and the C2 website generally, is a great motivator for me. The folks on this board are very encouraging, and pretty dang funny, too! :lol:

Best regards to you!
Jim

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » August 22nd, 2012, 1:58 am

damselfly wrote:All hands on deck, eyes searching the horizon for any signs of our Cap'n!! Has he been seized by pirates? Has he been eaten by sharks? Stung senseless by jellyfish? Has he burned to a crisp on a beach somewhere, having forgotten his SPF 90 sunscreen?!
Wow, Damselfly, you must be psychic! Actually, I was seized by pirates who fed my lunch to the sharks, put me in a tank of jellyfish until I was senseless, then left me on a beach somewhere to burn to a crisp since I didn't have on my SPF90 sunscreen (otherwise known as a wool sweater)! I survived only thanks to Melatonin - that's Melvin D. Atonin of Waikiki who took me into his hut for a small fee and a surfboard to be named later.
Good to be off vacation - now I just need a vacation from my vacation. My wife says I had a good time on vacation though, and I believe her!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » August 22nd, 2012, 2:17 am

nancypants wrote:Hi everyone - I'm Nan Patout, a forty year old high school math teacher from Louisiana. I have struggled with weight and fitness my entire adult life, but I feel like I am on the right track now after restarting rowing last week...I actually switched to this team from another because it's a lot smaller and I feel like I can keep track of people better. :D ...need to row in the afternoons/evenings... Glad to be aboard - thanks for the welcome, Lisa. NP
Welcome, Nan! Glad you chose us from all the possibilities! If we don't keep you rowing, remember that laughing is also good exercise! Actually, rowing is an amazing fitness builder that will be a great assist in controlling your weight. (As a fellow that used to be over 300 pounds - my top weight was 330 - I can personally attest to that.) ...And, as my downstairs neighbor can attest, I sometimes row as late as 1AM.
I can count all the math teachers on this forum on one hand - but with your help, by the end of the year I hope to be able to do that calculation in my head!
So, welcome again to Team TimbukTOO, and I hope we can help motivate you to do what it takes to be fit and energetic!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » August 22nd, 2012, 2:20 am

Quatroux wrote:Bah! I will not be rebuffed! :P
What I do in order never to be rebuffed is, I make sure never to get too buffed in the first place...

dpw4812
1k Poster

Post by dpw4812 » August 22nd, 2012, 7:59 am

Welcome aboard Nan..... great to have another member join the team. As you do know the weight will drop as other members have mentioned. I myself went from a whopping 275lbs to 195lbs with just the following a few simple rules row... row... row... eat less row.. row... :-) with rowing and a good healthy diet it is all it takes.... Good Luck and welcome aboard.....

David

The Blacksmith
2k Poster

Post by The Blacksmith » August 22nd, 2012, 8:51 am

Welcome Aboard Nan!

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 22nd, 2012, 9:16 am

Welcome Nan! And welcome home Cap'n Izz!! I was just about to send out The Blacksmith and Jamie in their boats to rescue you!
Izzzmeister wrote:I can count all the math teachers on this forum on one hand - but with your help, by the end of the year I hope to be able to do that calculation in my head!
Nan, you definitely have your work cut out for you in this regard... :)
dpw4812 wrote:I myself went from a whopping 275lbs to 195lbs with just the following a few simple rules row... row... row... eat less row.. row... :-) with rowing and a good healthy diet it is all it takes....
Nice program, David!! And if that doesn't suit, there is always the Quatroux Method... :P

I row to maintain weight loss and keep anxiety and stress at bay. If it weren't for my participation in this team, my erg would no doubt be buried under stratified layers of dust!

We are a smaller crew than you may be used to. Our forum is usually pretty quiet, but we get pretty chatty around the team challenge times. So grab an oar, get comfy, and everyone row strong!!
-- Lisa

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 22nd, 2012, 9:25 am

Another TimBukTOO round of welcome, please, for another new member, Alan Penman! Welcome, Alan!! Stop in and say hi, if you get the chance! We're happy to have you aboard!! Meanwhile, an outstanding and outrageous 18 of 49 members (37%) logged 152,240 total meters Tuesday!

Milestones achieved:
David W hit 2.4M, Jamie B blasted through 100K, and Nan P cleared 25K!! Congratulations, all!

Approaching milestones:
Jim is closing on 1.3M (-17,999m), Matthew is nearing 800K (-37,802m), Andy is close to 600K (-26,449m), Sarah is in the hunt for 600K (-36,511m), Rob is eyeing 200K (-8,658m), Bob is in sight of 75K (-6,109m), and Nan is coming up to 35K (-9,642m). Row strong!

Posted Meters:
David W - 27,230 Nice!!
Jim C - 16,000 Recovered, hopefully!!
Walter W - 15,000 Excellent!!
Matthew R - 11,200 Steady on...
Yisroel H - 10,000 Yay!! The Cap'n's back!! :D
Adam M - 8,500 Looking good...
Lisa H - 7,024 Dog Days week three, check!
Keith J - 6,992 Streakin' along!
Jamie B - 6,366 Wait, Bricks don't float!
Sarah H - 5,505 Still an unbroken streak!
Nan P - 5,500 Great meterage!
Rob M - 5,426 Looking good!
Fred B - 5,111 Inhumanly possible!
Andy I - 5,050 Clanking along...
Bob G - 5,000 Welcome back, Bob!
Alan P - 4,636 Welcome, Alan!!

Rivka L - 4,000 Neither rain, nor snow, nor...
Jerry H - 3,700 ... icebergs, nor pirates, keep us from our daily rows!

-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 22nd, 2012, 11:59 am

nancypants wrote:Glad to be aboard - thanks for the welcome, Lisa.
Welcome to the team! A little know fact about TimbukTOO is that we were originally formed in 1984 as a beatboxing team anchored by a man known as Big Buff Love. Buff Love went on to form a popular rap group featured in the 1987 Warner Bros. film Disorderlies.

With the departure of Love, TibukTOO was a ship without a captain. They tried their hand at several competitive endeavors including traveling the country playing in tournaments based on the parlor game Boggle. As a last act of desperation, the team passed itself off as a cohesive family unit and made it on the set of Family Fued. While the episode never aired, the team did win $2,000 and a 32-foot catamaran.

TimbukTOO used the prize money to hire famed sailing instructor Joseph Hazelwood. Based out of Rockport, Texas, the team saw immediate success and was even featured on the cover of Sailing Today. Despite fielding a competitive team and gaining some positive exposure in the press, Timbuktoo was never able to secure the coporate sponsorships necessary to continue as a going concern.

The assets of Team TimbukTOO Sailing Ventures were sold at auction and the proceeds used to fund an athletic scholarship at Northwestern State University of Louisiana. While many team members had hoped to establish a collegiate sailing club at the school, the scholarship committee was able to draw national attention to the school’s annual Marathon Rowing Championship.

A minor federal investigation into accounting irregularities did force the scholarship committee to disband, but not before a love of rowing had taken hold of the group. Timbuktoo is today reborn as a virtual indoor rowing team.
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 22nd, 2012, 12:13 pm

Good heavens, Andy, you should be a comedy writer! Between you and Izzz, it's never dull around here! :lol: :lol:
-- Lisa