TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
dpw4812
1k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by dpw4812 » August 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm

damselfly wrote: Posted Meters:

David W - 30,139 Only 30k today David? I'm disappointed... ;) :lol:

LOL Yea I know Lisa..... I was too.... please don't laugh to much..... about today's row..... You guys crack me up...... Keep up the great work.... way to go team......

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » August 18th, 2012, 3:13 pm

damselfly wrote:Ron M - 14,721 Not bad for an hour!! (Better than I can do!)
I wish, but not quite. This was an hour in the morning - my sunrise row - and a 1k-500-500 after work. So only 12721 for the hour row.

On a positive note, I did hit a PR for the 500 in that evening row - ankle be damned.

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » August 18th, 2012, 6:46 pm

damselfly wrote:Walter W - 1,707,202 Welcome back!! :D
Wow! That's a whole lot of rowing in 1 day. That must have taken, oh, I don't know, at least 5 hours I imagine :D

brick1101
500m Poster

Post by brick1101 » August 19th, 2012, 10:34 am

It is so good to be back...it is a long story but I have bricked over my driveway with vintage patterned sidewalk brick acquired from two road trips in overloaded U-Hauls and a delivery of 7 pallets of bricks (13,000+ pounds) to my house. I also used vintage street pavers and had to add a manhole and a display of sidewalk builder plaques. Naturally, I had to do this with heat indexes and temperatures in the triple digits! That project took over my life... it is finally pretty much finished up now. It is great to be back into my "normal routine" again.

ronmardix
2k Poster

Post by ronmardix » August 19th, 2012, 1:37 pm

brick1101 wrote:Image
Very cool!!!

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 19th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Holy cow, Jamie! You do gorgeous work! Nice job. I know who to call now for some of my upcoming projects... ;) If it were mine though I can't imagine letting anyone actually DRIVE on it!
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 19th, 2012, 2:05 pm

All hands on deck, hitting the backside of August with vigor!! A sweet and swanky 16 of 47 members (34%) logged 252,771 total meters Saturday!

Milestones achieved:
Jerry H hit 1.5M, Keith J hit 900K, and Tyrone P hit 200K!! Congratulations, guys!

Approaching milestones:
David is nearing 2.4M (-33,384m), Jim is closing on 1.3M (-33,999m), John is sprinting towards 700K (-32,475m), Tyrone is very close to 250K (-10,051m), Ulla is turning on the power to reach 150K (-17,255m), and Kevin is closing on 25K (-5,500m). Row strong!

This week's frequent rowers (Sat 8/11 through Fri 8/17):
Jerry H, Keith J, Rivka L & Sarah H - 7
Adam M, David W, Jim C, Kyle J, Lisa H, Rob M, Ron M & Ulla D - 5
Brent C, Fred B, Gary G, John S, Mark E, Matthew R & Nancy W - 4

Posted Meters:
Tyrone P - 87,001 Good to see you back!
Jim C - 32,001 OK, what happened here? A double-workout and another dratted leap-meter?

David W - 21,160 Nice!
Ron M - 21,097 Dare I guess a half-marathon?
Elisa H - 15,016 Back after a little break!
Kyle J - 15,000 Great!
John S - 14,765 Can't beat dat!
Matthew R - 11,200 Steady on...
Ulla D - 9,504 Five-in-a-row, and some nice meterage of late!
Walter W - 8,000 Back in action!
Andy I - 4,391 Easy day...
Jerry H - 4,000 The meters just keep coming!
Keith J - 3,736 The streak continues...
Sarah H - 2,500 Looking good!
Kevin K - 2,000 Back-to-back!
Rivka L - 1,400 Always finds time for the erg!

-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 19th, 2012, 5:20 pm

damselfly wrote:Andy I - 4,391 Easy day...
A PB 500m and 1km followed by a PB 4min today. I'm just trying to check the boxes on Nonathlon and stay up with Dog Days (FYI: "on snow meters count").
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 19th, 2012, 7:50 pm

brick1101 wrote:It is so good to be back...it is a long story but I have bricked over my driveway with vintage patterned sidewalk brick acquired from two road trips in overloaded U-Hauls and a delivery of 7 pallets of bricks (13,000+ pounds) to my house.
Wow! That reminds me of NONE of my home improvement projects.
-Andy

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 19th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Quatroux wrote:
damselfly wrote:Andy I - 4,391 Easy day...
A PB 500m and 1km followed by a PB 4min today. I'm just trying to check the boxes on Nonathlon and stay up with Dog Days (FYI: "on snow meters count").
I stand corrected -- Fast, but not easy!! Congratulations!! :D :D :D

And "snow" sounds pretty damn good right about now. Anything below 90, in fact.
-- Lisa

The Blacksmith
2k Poster

Post by The Blacksmith » August 20th, 2012, 8:07 am

I just noticed Quatroux's thing about floating is overrated- NOT!! (for me,anyway) B) My erg is just to carry me through till I can get on the water :P

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » August 20th, 2012, 8:45 am

damselfly wrote: Jim C - 32,001 OK, what happened here? A double-workout and another dratted leap-meter?
I had missed a day last week, and am taking today off, so on Saturday I had the sudden inspiration to row a marathon. :shock: Completely unplanned and unprepared for - I'm not even sure I had eaten breakfast, and I've never rowed more than a half-marathon before. So at about 26k meters I started fizzling out, changed the plan, and just tried to land on 32k meters.

I have a lot of respect for those who routinely row very long distances!

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 20th, 2012, 9:42 am

The Blacksmith wrote:I just noticed Quatroux's thing about floating is overrated- NOT!! (for me,anyway) B) My erg is just to carry me through till I can get on the water :P
You may be a man amongst boys, but you have got this rowing thing all mixed up. The erg is a beautiful torture device.

You OTW types just see the erg as training equipment. Bah! Indoor rowing is a standalone sport. It also happens to be a good fitness tool.

There are two OTW clubs (your types) in my town and both post guidelines like this:
"Class attire should be tight workout clothing. Rowing is done in bike tights or running shorts. No loose-leg material as it may catch in the slide tracks when rowing. Tank tops or tight T-shirts and short socks (rowing is done in socks, no shoes)."

Tight is the watchword there. I don't want to fit my current self into anything "tight" until I've let the erg have a go at firming me up for a bit.

I'll join you on the water soon. Once I do, I will consider myself involved in two sports - not one.

Bah to you sir! Bah! :P
-Andy

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » August 20th, 2012, 10:15 am

CONLEJM wrote:I had missed a day last week, and am taking today off, so on Saturday I had the sudden inspiration to row a marathon. :shock: Completely unplanned and unprepared for - I'm not even sure I had eaten breakfast, and I've never rowed more than a half-marathon before. So at about 26k meters I started fizzling out, changed the plan, and just tried to land on 32k meters.
A rested mind will sign your body up for things it isn't capable of doing. That's what you get for taking a day off. Keep at it! Don't let up! Never relent! No days off! Beat those legs into submission! Don't give your mind a chance to recover. Never! You want to get to the point that you have to have your neighbor prop you up on the erg each morning and your dog push you back up the slide. The pain should reach a point that you cry dust because you are so dehydrated. The indoor rowing community calls this the Quatroux Method - unofficially.

In all seriousness, once I have rowed a specific distance, I find it beneficial to setup a pace boat with my previous time. It helps me not start out too fast. You have to have a previous time for this to work - obviously. That's the challenge for something like a FM. Just rowing it once can be a huge accomplishment. A butt of steel and hands of iron are a good start. Gloves and a seat cushion work too. Before yo ustart you should already be hydrated and know what type and amount of food you can tolerate. Wait, I've already said too much.
-Andy

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » August 20th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Hey, Mark, great business opportunity here -- mail-order "butt of steel" and "hands of iron" available to ergers everywhere! Let me know if you want me to set up a website. :P
Last edited by damselfly on August 20th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Lisa