Overcoming Disabilties Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
brotherjim
10k Poster

Re: Overcoming Disabilties Team Room

Post by brotherjim » July 22nd, 2012, 1:31 pm

Ron Santo Hall of Fame induction today. Ron played his entire career with type 1 diabetes. He played in an era when you didn't tell anyone you had diabetes. He missed only 18 games in a 14 year career. Ron lost both legs to diabetes and then succumbed to cancer 2 years later in 2010. He is an inspiration to me as all of my O.D. teammates are.
jim

rosita
500m Poster

Post by rosita » July 22nd, 2012, 3:20 pm

That is nice that he was voted to the Hall of fame. I know you and Jay are happy today.
Rosi

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 25th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Loretta Claiborne

Loretta Claiborne did not talk or walk until the age of 4. Despite doctors' advice, Loretta's mother refused to put her child, who is also partially blind, in an institution. When Loretta found Special Olympics, her energy and gifts found an outlet. She has earned dozens of Special Olympics medals in track, bowling and skating, and Loretta also completed 26 marathons. She has become an advocate for people with intellectual disabilities, holds a black belt in karate, speaks five languages and is a recipient of the ESPY Arthur Ashe Courage Award. Her life and struggles are depicted in Disney's film "The Loretta Claiborne Story."

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » July 26th, 2012, 1:45 am

brotherjim wrote:Oh joy, oh joy, 6 month MRI scan for MS and stroke changes this afternoon. Love when the doc says you should have died already. I know rowing and exercising has helped me so much. Plus the gallon of ice cream nightly :lol:
...and a relationship with G-d... and a loving family... and a stubborn streak...
Face it, you're too ornery to die!

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » July 26th, 2012, 1:56 am

brotherjim wrote:Ron Santo Hall of Fame induction today. Ron played his entire career with type 1 diabetes. He played in an era when you didn't tell anyone you had diabetes. He missed only 18 games in a 14 year career. Ron lost both legs to diabetes and then succumbed to cancer 2 years later in 2010. He is an inspiration to me as all of my O.D. teammates are.
jim
Even though I was a Yankee fan, I always had the Ron Santo card as part of my Topps Baseball card collection. He seemed like a stand-up guy, and he was a threat at the plate and in the field. Didn't realize he was sticking himself with needles, pumping pig insulin - which was so hard on the kidneys - into himself daily. He probably had no idea that his daily exercise was keeping him alive much longer than most (usually, kidneys would fail after 15-20 years of porcine insulin, so the less you had to use, the better).
Now with them being able to produce human insulin in the lab, and inject it very precisely to correspond to food intake, Type 1 people that follow guidelines have virtually no difference in life expectancy.
As a Type 2er that's trying to keep his sugar levels low, trying to keep those insulin shots as far into the future as possible, I can appreciate his journey. (And he could hit the hide off the ball.)

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 26th, 2012, 11:37 am

Thanks Izzzz, I am ornery and stubborn so I guess I will be fine. And after further Dr. visits, the lesions are in areas I don't really use, like common sense, humor, and girl watching. But seriously, doing very well.
Thanks also for the praise for Ron. He was my idol from the age of 6 when I first met him. You are so right, his injections did lead to kidney failure. I am so glad medicine has come so far and Type 1 is so much easier to control. Keep watching your levels and keep exercising. You may never have to have injections with your strict regimen.
I sat on the bench for parts of 2 seasons with the Cubs and had no idea Ron was a diabetic. I did eat several of his candy bars when he was out in the field not knowing he was using them as medicine, not a treat.
Thanks again Izzz and good luck and best wishes to your team.
jim

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 27th, 2012, 7:37 am

“Learn to Race” Cycling Development Camp Sept. 16-23 for riders with physical disabilities at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado!

Riders are on their bikes twice per day, riding 150-200 miles for the week. Athletes will practice skills, engage in race simulations, and have classroom discussions nightly.

Watch the documentary at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUzjoce ... e=youtu.be

Applications must be in by August 8. For more: Pam Fernandes, Pamala@quikus.com or 781-449-9563 To download the camp application:
http://usaba.org/files/uploads/Sept_201 ... cation.doc

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 27th, 2012, 10:59 pm

By Houston Mitchell
12:15 p.m. CDT, July 27, 2012

Legally blind archer Im Dong-hyun broke the world record in the 72-arrow mark with 699 points and led South Korea to a team record in the ranking round at the London Olympics on Friday.

Im has 10% vision in his left, 20% in his right eye.

"This is just the first round, so I will not get too excited by it," Im said.

He combined with Kim Bub-min and Oh Jin-hyek as South Korea scored 2,087 points Friday, breaking the old mark of 2,069 set by South Korea in May.

Im won gold medals in the team event at the 2008 Beijing and 2004 Athens Olympics.

Im has said that when he looks at the targets, he sees colors with blurred lines and aims by distinguishing between the bright colors of the target.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 28th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Alaska's 20,320-foot Mt. McKinley has presented unrelenting poor weather and avalanche conditions this climbing season and has kept multiple parties from the summit. Several people have not returned from their expeditions up North America's highest peak, including a group of four Japanese climbers, who died on the mountain in mid June.

Among those turned from the summit recently is Whistler-based big-mountain skier Holly Walker. After three weeks on the mountain, Walker and her partner left Denali on June 13 and skied the mountain from the highest base camp in one, long run.

"I don't remember exactly when the thought to ski Denali entered my brain," says Walker over the phone, just days after her return. "I knew I wanted a challenge after my stroke to see what I was capable of."

Three and a half-years-ago, while living in Silverton, Colo., Walker -- a sponsored skier who used to compete on the Freeskiing World Tour -- suffered from a freak stroke at the age of 28. The hemorrhaging found in her brain wasn't properly diagnosed until six days after her initial symptoms of headaches, confusion, and clumsiness and only after her parents had been misinformed that Walker had a life-threatening tumor in her brain. She was immediately put on blood thinners to dissolve the clot in her brain and moved to Vancouver, B.C., just two weeks later so that she could be closer to her family and the G.F. Strong Rehabilitation Center.

At G.F. Strong, Walker had to learn everything again, from writing to controlling the right side of her body. Slowly, she recovered. "After my stroke, I couldn't keep up with all of the ideas about what I wanted to do with my life," explained Walker. "But the Himalayas seemed a little far away."

At the beginning of the 2012 season, she set her sights on Denali, a reasonable goal for a girl who had climbed and skied peaks like 10,400-foot Mt. Baker in Washington less than two years after her stroke. At the time she was still struggling with some basic motor skills and confusing or forgetting words in both French and English, but Walker still had the impetus to climb mountains.

Just over three years later, Denali seemed like an appropriate object

In April, just one month before her flight to Alaska, Holly's neurologist suggested that she should cancel her trip to Denali. She had just finished a successful ski mission up Washington's Mt. Rainier, but the doctor explained that severe complications could ensue if Walker ventured to higher altitudes. She went for a second opinion.

An emergency physician in Colorado specializing in high altitude helped Walker regain confidence about her plans. Lots of water and aspirin, which works as a blood thinner and reduces the risk of clots, were suggested and she was back to prepping for the trip.

"Physically, I felt fine. I'd been training on the Spearhead Traverse in Whistler, Rainier, Baker, and many others all winter," says Walker. "The other risks inherent in mountain climbing were more of a concern."

On May 24, Walker arrived in Talkeetna to catch a three-person Cessna 185 plane to Denali.

Walker and her partner set a three-week cap on their expedition. During that time they stayed nearly two weeks at the 14,420-foot Camp 4, where it snowed almost three feet. They ski toured every day with hopes of making it to the Messner Couloir or Orient Express, but unfortunately there was blue ice on both routes.

On June 11, they moved up to Camp 5 at 17,200 feet. On June 13, they had a clear window to try for the summit, but within a short period of time, incoming clouds, 60-mile-per-hour winds, and increased avalanche danger confirmed a decision to leave the mountain. That day, marking their three weeks, they skied out. They left Camp 5 and skied to the airstrip in one go, missing the avalanche that killed the Japanese climbers (the morning of June 14 at 1 a.m.) by one and a half hours.

"It wasn't my stroke that kept me off the summit," says Walker. "It was the weather."

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 29th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Short article about Natalia Partyka, one armed table tennis player from Poland.
Personally, I love table tennis, such a fun sport to play with grandkids but not my wife. She was a state H.S. champ and never, ever, ever shows mercy. I am lucky to get 5 points in a game.
Anyway- good luck to Natalia in the Para games coming up!

Natalia Partyka was eliminated by the Netherlands' Jie Li this afternoon from the Olympic Individual Table Tennis tournament in the Round of 32, which, though disappointing, would be impressive for anyone. Being one of the top 32 women in the world in any field is a herculean task that few people will ever get to accomplish. So for Poland's Natalia Partyka to do it despite being born without a right hand and forearm is particularly mind-blowing.

The Polish Partyka competed in her first Paralympics at the ripe old age of 11, and has never looked back. London marks her second straight Olympic games, and the twenty-three year old is one of only five athletes to ever participate in both the Paralympic and able-bodied summer games (though South African runner Oscar Pistorius will expand that list to six next week). This year marked her first foray into the individual Olympic competition.

Though she was eliminated today, she will compete next Friday in the Women's team event, and you should make sure you find time to check it out. Seeing her play table tennis is enough to inspire you to want to do something more with your life. When's the last time someone playing table tennis made you feel like that?

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » July 30th, 2012, 8:08 am

The sport was developed by Sir Ludwig Guttmann at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, the birthplace of the Paralympic Games, following World War II. It has been part of the Paralympic programme since the Rome 1960 Games.

1. Who, what, when?

Wheelchair Fencing will feature 100 athletes across 12 medal events from 4-8 September. Each country is limited to six male and four female athletes, with a maximum of two athletes per event.

2. Where?

The Wheelchair Fencing competition will take place at ExCeL, which is the largest competition venue at the London 2012 Games. It is made up of five different arenas, and after the Games it will revert to its role as one of Europe’s largest versatile exhibition spaces.

3. History

The sport was developed by Sir Ludwig Guttmann at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, the birthplace of the Paralympic Games, following World War II. It has been part of the Paralympic programme since the Rome 1960 Games.

4. Classification

To be eligible to compete in Wheelchair Fencing, athletes must have an impairment that affects at least one leg or foot, and they are classified according to their level of functional ability. Category A is for athletes who have good trunk control and their fencing arm is not affected by their impairment. Catgeory B is for athletes who have an impairment that affects either their trunk or fencing arm.

5. Field of play

The competition takes place on a piste that measures 4m x 1.5m and athletes are fixed into wheelchairs that are fastened into the floor. The distance between the two fencers is determined by the athlete with the shorter arm reach.

6. Weapons

Foil:This is light weapon derived from the court sword, and in this discipline the target area is limited to the opponent’s torso.

Sabre: This is derived from a cavalry sword, and fencers score hits whenever they touch the edge of the weapon anywhere above their opponent’s waist.

Epee:This is the heaviest weapon used and is a true duelling sword. The entire body is the target, and opposing fencers can score hits simultaneously.

7. First to 15

The object of the game is to be the first athlete to score 15 points.

8. Beijing 2008

At the Beijing 2008 Games, host nation China won 13 medals, including six golds, in Wheelchair Fencing. Hong Kong finished second with seven medals, including three golds.

9. French dominance

France’s Christian Lachaud and Andre Hennaert lead the all-time Wheelchair Fencing medal charts with nine golds apiece. In fact, eight of the top 10 all-time medallists in the sport hail from France.

10. Ones to watch at London 2012

Yui Chong Chan (Hong Kong): Chan won gold in the foil and epee at Beijing 2008, and London 2012 will mark her third Paralympics Games at the age of 29.

Pal Szekeres (Hungary): The 48-year-old Hungarian veteran has competed in the Paralympics since the Barcelona 1992 Games, having won a gold and three bronze medals on the world stage. These could be his last Paralympics, and he will not go out without a fight.

11. Wheelchair frames

For fencing wheelchair frames are designed so that athletes can compete against each other whether they are right or left-handed.

12. Staying steady

Athletes’ wheelchairs are fixed in place to the ground by metal frames and the chair is clamped to both sides of the frame to keep it from tipping. An athlete’s foot must not leave the chair’s foot rest or use the floor for advantage.

ronnie1
500m Poster

Post by ronnie1 » August 3rd, 2012, 10:19 am

One moment, they were able-bodied athletes and the next, wheelchair bound for life. But “wheelchair rugby” has opened up an entire new world for some courageous athletes, who won’t take the challenges they’ve been dealt sitting down.

Wheelchair rugby coach Ken Matthews is a former player himself.

“Actually, that became kind of the anchor that I’ve gotta get better. I’ve gotta do something to get back into sports. When I first was paralyzed, I didn’t think there was anything I’d ever be able to do. That’s really the beauty of the game — it’s about getting guys going, and getting guys to keep going,” Matthews said.

The team is made up of guys like Kevin Kramer — an ex-high school and college athlete who was paralyzed in a sports accident.

“When I got out of surgery, the next day I watched a documentary on the paralympic rugby team, and I thought they were crazy. It’s something unique. I’ve never seen some of this before in my life, and when you’re out there, you’re not in a wheelchair. You’re just playing a sport,” Kramer said.

Luis Classen broke his neck in a driving accident. He was introduced to the sport a year after his injury, while volunteering at Froedtert Hospital as a mentor. Classen waited a year and a half before taking up the sport.

“I’m mad that I didn’t do it sooner, because it helps out a whole lot — physically, psychologically — everything. I get to see other people that are in the same shoes I am,” Classen said.

Lonna Rahn serves as a volunteer for the athletes.

“It has been eye opening, because before, with anyone in a wheelchair, it’s like, I didn’t know anything about them, and I didn’t know how to react with them. I don’t know any of these guys as being disabled. They’re all so active and they live a full life, and it’s really exciting to be able to be involved in all of this,” Rahn said.

Those who come to a wheelchair rudby game can expect to see some hard hits!

The guys don’t have a monopoly on wheelchair rugby. Katie Yench is believed to be the youngest person in the state to have multiple sclerosis. She was 14 when she suffered her first attack.

Someone told Yench about wheelchair rugby when she was at Froedtert Hospital getting intense physical therapy.

“I basically just thought it sounded hardcore! It feels good. It’s a way to get out there and do something and not sit at home and feel sorry for myself,” Yench said.

Like her fellow players, Yench more than gets by with a little help from her friends and family.

“They’ve been lifesavers. It’s tough for me to get out. Just like any of these guys, it’s tough to get out,” Yench said.

Getting out is the key. Coach Matthews’ message should resonate with all of us, no matter what our challenge in life.

“If you want to give up, you can, but if you don’t want to give up, there are a lot of us out there that are willing to help out. There’s a huge network of folks, and we’re helping each other all the time,” Matthews said.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » August 3rd, 2012, 12:37 pm

Posted times for "Beat the Heat" half marathon. I am going to have to try and do better in the halloween run. I did raise1200 dollars :D :D :D for children's cancer, sickle cell anemia, and other potentially fatal diseases.

94 32 James Kielma 3:02:48 M AR
94th overall and 32nd for males. Only 36 males completed the distance.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » August 3rd, 2012, 7:42 pm

brotherjim wrote:Posted times for "Beat the Heat" half marathon. I am going to have to try and do better in the halloween run. I did raise1200 dollars :D :D :D for children's cancer, sickle cell anemia, and other potentially fatal diseases.

94 32 James Kielma 3:02:48 M AR
94th overall and 32nd for males. Only 36 males completed the distance.

Great job, Jim ! The "Beat the Heat" half marathon name would be enough to deter many - and you not only finished, you raised a lot of $$$.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » August 8th, 2012, 5:17 pm

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – They are an all star basketball team defying limitations. Their home gym is at the Douglass Community Center. Players of all ages and levels participate in a program called Adapted Leisure Activities.

Every Monday night, it's a pick-up basketball game like no other. "We have guys that are in power chairs, who cannot shoot the ball that we incorporate in playing on up to guys with little or no disability," said Brent Priddy, Metro Parks supervisor.

While these athletes may be in wheelchairs, that doesn't stop them from standing out on the court.

"I'm very passionate about basketball, I hope to go far with it one day," said one of the players BJ Bonmon.

Since the Olympics have kicked off, the worldwide games have only encouraged players to push even harder.

"The intensity and the competition level, it's like it's a competition in here now because of the Olympics going on," said Dontay York, recreational assistant. "With Kobe, Lebron and all the star players and we have our little local stars in our gym, too."

They are stars that are now setting even bigger goals. "It helps me become a better player because I want to be that good someday," said John Michael Cristofoli, player.

"I always think that someday that's going to be me," said Ellie Conkling, player.

They make sure that no limitations define them. "I really do want to play for a men's wheelchair team and I hope to be in the Olympics one day," said Bonmon.

With a place like the Douglass Community Center, those dreams may not be out of reach. "I'm just very proud that I found here to play," said Cristofoli.

"Everybody wins out here," said Priddy