TimbukTOO Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
garygOP
1k Poster

Re: TimbukTOO Team Room

Post by garygOP » July 21st, 2012, 3:31 pm

What were your symptoms, if I can ask?
Symptoms: General fatigue- never able to get out of warm-up mode- lack of any energy or drive to go hard- once the routine was underway. In other words, I wanted to work out, but once I would start out onn a work out, I just felt weak and lethargic. I never went to see my doc- he would have just told me to rest. And it took a long time for me to recover. I am not the strong young buck I used to think I was . I turn 65 this year- and I have learned to respect Father Time.

I have tried to analyze what occurred and I believe I understand the cause.
I looked at the log from last year in excel format and I found that for a 6 week period I had tripled the distance I was rowing-and not taken my rest days- I love the the Concept2 Challenges we have, but they can be detrimental if you go from low gear to red-lining your workouts without a gradual build-up. It was my fault- not the Challenges fault.
I went too far too fast for too long, without sufficient build-up or rest.
I am now doing about 60- 70 K per week - but I built up to this- went from 6 to 9 to 12 and then 16 K sessions- and am taking entire days away from exercise- and for now I am avoiding any cross-training- no weights, no abs, maybe 30 minutes on the ARC Trainer 1 or 2 days of the week, when I cut the erg w.o. short due to either fatigue or boredom.
I will know better in a month or so if I built up slow enough. It also helps that i travel a bit and am forced to rest due to a lack of ergs along the routes I travel for my job.

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » July 21st, 2012, 5:53 pm

damselfly wrote:Bad news for me... No meters for a while. Ever since being back from our vacation I've been experiencing some weird physical symptoms -- muscle weakness, mental haze, shakiness, wobbly... Nothing that stopped me exercising, of course! Blood tests show a little elevated muscle enzymes, one cause can be over-training or heat stress. So doc says no exercise for at least three days and then a blood recheck. This is gonna be hard.... Hopefully I'll be back online for the RowLympics!
Bad news, indeed. Here's to a restful 3 days!
Looking forward to good news... Cheers!
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 22nd, 2012, 9:28 am

Thanks guys... Yes, I'm not known for taking rest days... I just don't think I train hard enough to have brought on overtraining syndrome... It's not like I'm Izzz or anything! :lol: I'll keep you posted.
-- Lisa

Try not! Do, or do not! There is no "try". -- Yoda

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 22nd, 2012, 9:35 am

All hands on deck! A stellar and sumptuous 7 of 39 members (18%) logged 87,973 total meters Saturday!

No milestones, but on the horizon:
Glenn is approaching 150K (-2,087m)

This week's frequent rowers (Sat 7/14 through Fri 7/20):
Gary G, Gary D, Jim C, Kyle J & Matthew R - 5
Adam M, David W, Keith J & Lisa H - 4

Posted Meters:
David W - 21,245 Our main star in the TimBukToo constellation!
Kyle J - 17,296 Breaks free of the round numbers!
Gary G - 17,207 Kickin' Father Time's sorry butt!
Andy I - 10,000 Back in the boat and hopefully feeling better!
Fred B - 8,959 Excellent!!
Glenn Y - 8,458 Looking good......
Brent C - 4,808 Three in a row... Shoulder OK?

-- Lisa

CONLEJM
2k Poster

Post by CONLEJM » July 22nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

damselfly wrote:Bad news for me... No meters for a while. Ever since being back from our vacation I've been experiencing some weird physical symptoms -- muscle weakness, mental haze, shakiness, wobbly...
Hi Lisa, I am hoping you are feeling better. I'm glad you went to the doctor and are in good hands. My 9-yr old son had many of those same symptoms last week and was diagnosed with Lyme Disease (presumably from a tick bite). He's on antibiotics for a month and should be fine thereafter, but I am so glad we didn't wait any longer to get him checked out. We thought he had the flu for the first few days.

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 22nd, 2012, 4:05 pm

CONLEJM wrote:
damselfly wrote:Bad news for me... No meters for a while. Ever since being back from our vacation I've been experiencing some weird physical symptoms -- muscle weakness, mental haze, shakiness, wobbly...
Hi Lisa, I am hoping you are feeling better. I'm glad you went to the doctor and are in good hands. My 9-yr old son had many of those same symptoms last week and was diagnosed with Lyme Disease (presumably from a tick bite). He's on antibiotics for a month and should be fine thereafter, but I am so glad we didn't wait any longer to get him checked out. We thought he had the flu for the first few days.
Holy moly, Jim, I'm glad you got him checked out! Hope he is feeling better soon. Poor little guy!
-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » July 23rd, 2012, 8:58 am

damselfly wrote:Andy I - 10,000 Back in the boat and hopefully feeling better!
I don't feel worse. I've got that going for me.
My neck hurts. I guess that can go with a sinus infection, but 2 weeks is a bit much. Rowing didn't make it worse so I'm going to call this one the 'walking dead illness'. I'm not "sick", but also not 100%. Men aren't geared for this. We're an all or nothing sex. This halfway sick stuff is for the birds.
-Andy

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 23rd, 2012, 10:17 am

Welcome back to the boat to our "Wonda from Down Unda", Tyrone P!! Glad to have you aboard for another season! A fit and fabulous 10 of 40 members (25%) logged 252,104 total meters Sunday, including Tyrone's 152k!

Milestones achieved:
Yisroel H blasted through 600K, Glenn Y and Tyrone P plowed through 150K, and Ulla D passed 15K!!

Approaching milestones:
Gary is nearing 600K (-36,435m), Adam is closing on 600K (-46,000m), and Ulla is fast approaching 25K (-8,205m). Row strong, team!

Posted Meters:
Tyrone P - 152,948 Welcome back!
John S - 22,866 Back after a short break...
Yisroel H - 19,764 Ready and rarin' to go!
Gary G - 16,186 Five biggies!
Matthew R - 11,200 Great consistency!
Adam M - 10,000 Looking good....
Glenn Y - 6,728 Sweeeeet...
Fred B - 5,232 Definitely a streak...
Nancy W - 4,094 Nice!
Ulla D - 3,086 Welcome back!

-- Lisa

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 23rd, 2012, 10:27 am

Quatroux wrote:
I don't feel worse. I've got that going for me.
My neck hurts. I guess that can go with a sinus infection, but 2 weeks is a bit much. Rowing didn't make it worse so I'm going to call this one the 'walking dead illness'. I'm not "sick", but also not 100%. Men aren't geared for this. We're an all or nothing sex. This halfway sick stuff is for the birds.
Hmmmm... Have you been craving.... brains? In any case, I hope you're better soon!

Feeling almost normal this morning. Pulse rate was back to normal 48 bpm first thing today. Two more days of forced rest. Taking my mom and brother to the natural history museum in Los Angeles today to keep occupied. Driving through LA -- now THAT oughta get the pulse rate back up again. :cry:

-- Lisa

glenmbaker
1k Poster

Post by glenmbaker » July 23rd, 2012, 6:34 pm

damselfly wrote:
Quatroux wrote:
Hmm...I finally get the chance to check back into the group and read about all these people feeling poorly. Must be something in the air (water?). I've been out for quite a while now, and will probably continue to be out due to really nasty tendonitis in both shoulders. It got so bad that some times I would move my arm wrong and get hit with a sharp jab of pain that would bring tears to my eyes (literally).

After 6 months of that I finally saw the doctor and he gave me some prednisone-like steroids. I tried Ibuprofin first, but finally gave up and took the darn white pills. Shoulders seem a bit better now, but they're certainly not well.

Meanwhile our German foreign exchange student shows up in two weeks. He allegedly rows at a 1:36 split (or something like that). Not bad for a high school kid. I was hoping to be in better shape before he got here but oh well...

..glen

damselfly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by damselfly » July 23rd, 2012, 7:45 pm

Jeez, we're all a mess. I'm sorry to hear you're in such pain, Glen! Tendonitis can be a bee-atch to get rid of... I hope you get some relief soon with the steroids...

But perhaps we can recruit your exchange student.... :lol:
-- Lisa

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » July 24th, 2012, 9:20 am

glenmbaker wrote:After 6 months of that I finally saw the doctor and he gave me some prednisone-like steroids
Sorry to hear about your shoulder, but good to know you are getting some help. Be careful with the prednisone. I took it for a month, felt like an all-star the first week, and then gained 10 pounds. It can really do a number on you over time.
-Andy

glenmbaker
1k Poster

Post by glenmbaker » July 24th, 2012, 10:26 am

Quatroux wrote: Be careful with the prednisone. I took it for a month, felt like an all-star the first week, and then gained 10 pounds. It can really do a number on you over time.
Yeah, there are a load of reasons to avoid that stuff. The course that I had was 6 days with a differing (tapering) dosage every day. Seems to have helped somewhat, but there's still pain and I'm a bit wary about just jumping back onto the erg and exacerbating the problem all over again. Sounds like time for some PT (or maybe even an injection...we'll see).

Hmm...maybe I can do legs only erging...

Izzzmeister
10k Poster

Post by Izzzmeister » July 24th, 2012, 10:38 pm

All hands on deck, groaning and wincing from various & sundry illnesses and injuries! 7 of 40 members (18%) logged 77,354 total meters Monday!

Milestones achieved: Team TimbukTOO passed 11 million!
Approaching milestones: Mark E nears 350K (-586m)! Ulla approaches 25K (-4,082m)!

Posted Meters:
David W - 24,035 What?! A day off yesterday?!
Jim C - 16,306 Hour?
Mark E - 11,428 Nice!
Matthew R - 11,200 Precise!
Adam M - 8,000 Good!
Ulla D - 4,123 Two!
Fred B - 2,262 Five in a row!

dpw4812
1k Poster

Post by dpw4812 » July 25th, 2012, 5:11 pm

LOL A day off.... nawww well some days most of the time the one day that I don't row is on Sunday's. Yolanda and I try and get out on the real water for some kayaking..... I wanted to add something, with the number of knee operations that I have had "4" total I find that some pain meds just don't work. So on those day's I go with Ice and heat for a number of a times and Advil. if after a couple days of the pain does not go a way then I make a trip to the Doctor's office for a cortisone shot. with in a day the pain and inflammation will be gone along with any pain. Granted it is not for everyone but with my issue that is my only recourse.

Since I have lost the weight and had such a regular routine for working out, I have not been to the Doctor's office in 2 years..... :-) I always make sure when I row that mix it up hard and easy pull's during my workout, but my biggest thing is to make sure that I focus on my form..... first and foremost.