Low Carb Diet, Strength, Hr, Etc.

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 7th, 2004, 1:48 pm

Sounds totally healthy, except for the mayo. <br><br>Non fat yogurt is good though.

[old] Cran

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Cran » June 7th, 2004, 5:59 pm

The south beach diet can be healthy.

[old] donm79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] donm79 » June 11th, 2004, 8:56 am

I have the opposite problem. I can't keep weight on. I'm 6'1" and have gone from 84kg to 80-81kg in the past 3 months. That would be fine, but I was lean to start with. I don't think I can compete well (or stay healthy) as a lightweight, but I'll need to pack some weight back on to have a hope of competing with the big boys. A typical day's eating:<br><br>Breakfast (8am): Bowl of shredded wheat or raisin bran, semi-skimmed milk, one scoop of protein powder, one banana, two fish oil capsules, 500mg vit C, 400iu vit E, multivit, zinc+magnesium supplement<br><br>Lunch (12pm): Small chicken sandwich with salad on brown bread. Glass of milk.<br><br>Snack (4pm): Small chicken sandwich with salad on brown bread. One apple.<br><br>Training (6pm): Protein/carb shake with 40g protein (whey powder) and 80g carbs (maltodextrin). Sip on half of it during training and gulp other half after training.<br><br>Dinner (8 or 8:30pm): 200g lean beef, one can of chickpeas, big serving of veggies.<br><br>Snack (10pm): Before bed I'll eat some junk food. Maybe a couple of chocolate muffins with butter, or a small loaf of raisin bread with butter, or a chocolate bar. I'll usually have a protein shake along with this.<br><br>All this and I can't keep the weight on! Any tips?

[old] Andrew Burrows

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Andrew Burrows » June 11th, 2004, 9:03 am

Eat burger and chips 5 times a day !

[old] donm79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] donm79 » June 11th, 2004, 9:15 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Burrows+Jun 11 2004, 08:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Andrew Burrows @ Jun 11 2004, 08:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Eat burger and chips 5 times a day ! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I think I'd enjoy that plan but I'd prefer if most of the weight gain is muscle!

[old] Ericr

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Ericr » June 11th, 2004, 9:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-donm79+Jun 11 2004, 08:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (donm79 @ Jun 11 2004, 08:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Burrows+Jun 11 2004, 08:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Andrew Burrows @ Jun 11 2004, 08:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Eat burger and chips 5 times a day ! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>I think I'd enjoy that plan but I'd prefer if most of the weight gain is muscle! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Eat between breakfast and lunch too. Also your lunch is way too small. You're the most catabolic in the morning and only breakfast won't help enough. <br><br>Try to calculate your BMR (basic metabolic rate) also at<br><br><a href='http://www.thecolumn.org/how-many-calor ... i-need.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.thecolumn.org/how-many-calor ... /a><br><br>(lots more of those calculators online when you search for Basic Metabolic Rate)<br><br>Because your diet now surely is below your BMR, that's why you won't keep your weight.<br><br>

[old] donm79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] donm79 » June 11th, 2004, 10:15 am

Ericr - I'm sure you're right that it's a simple matter of calories in versus calories out, and between breakfast and training I probably don't eat enough. I work in a management consultancy and my colleagues poke fun at me for eating at lunch and again in the afternoon. But, as a testament to erging I eat a heck of a lot more than any of them and I'm a heck of a lot leaner. Bigger lunch is the plan.

[old] Nayla

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Nayla » June 11th, 2004, 11:55 am

Another suggestion to increase your caloric intake in a healthy nutrient-dense way is too add nuts,nut butters, and seeds (and maybe cheese?) a couple times a day. Good luck!<br><br>

[old] drkcgoh

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] drkcgoh » June 11th, 2004, 3:01 pm

Consult a Sports Nutritionist for a professional asessment of your diet. It looks deficient in carbohydrates, and relies too much on artificial proteins & carbohydrates. Take some real food. Those vitamins and supplements have not helped. If you really want to pig out, look up what a Sumo wrestler eats, but I don't think you want that kind of weight. You could also take a look at your training. More rest days might help. Prolonged high intensity training for long durations taps into protein as a source of energy because there are insufficient carbohydrate stores to supply the high energy demand.<br>My rowing coach is 6'5", weighs 175 lbs, has 9% body fat, and rows 2K in under 6:05. <br>KC62

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 11th, 2004, 3:14 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have the opposite problem.  I can't keep weight on.  I'm 6'1" and have gone from 84kg to 80-81kg in the past 3 months.  That would be fine, but I was lean to start with.  I don't think I can compete well (or stay healthy) as a lightweight<br><br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Why not? I think you'd be fine as a lightweight, as long as you continued to eat healty.<br><br>Regardless of that, you'd be fine staying at the weight that you are.<br>

[old] donm79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] donm79 » June 11th, 2004, 3:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+Jun 11 2004, 02:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (John Rupp @ Jun 11 2004, 02:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have the opposite problem.  I can't keep weight on.  I'm 6'1" and have gone from 84kg to 80-81kg in the past 3 months.  That would be fine, but I was lean to start with.  I don't think I can compete well (or stay healthy) as a lightweight<br><br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Why not? I think you'd be fine as a lightweight, as long as you continued to eat healty.<br><br>Regardless of that, you'd be fine staying at the weight that you are. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I don't mind staying where I am; I just don't want to continue to lose weight. I plan to start rowing on the water in the autumn and I don't think I'll ever make the 72.5kg limit. I'm 24 years old and the last time I weighed 72.5 I was 15.

[old] donm79

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] donm79 » June 11th, 2004, 3:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-drkcgoh+Jun 11 2004, 02:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (drkcgoh @ Jun 11 2004, 02:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Consult a Sports Nutritionist for a professional asessment of your diet. It looks deficient in carbohydrates, and relies too much on artificial proteins & carbohydrates. Take some real food. Those vitamins and supplements have not helped. If you really want to pig out, look up what a Sumo wrestler eats, but I don't think you want that kind of weight. You could also take a look at your training. More rest days might help. Prolonged high intensity training for long durations taps into protein as a source of energy because there are insufficient carbohydrate stores to supply the high energy demand.<br>My rowing coach is 6'5", weighs 175 lbs, has 9% body fat, and rows 2K in under 6:05. <br>KC62 <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> I probably take in 400-450g of carbs every day. I don't think that's too low for someone who typically ergs under 50km/week. <br><br>Your coach's erg time is great, but I don't have the leverage advantages of someone who's 6'5". As far as I'm aware, the only heavyweight international rower (actually he's a sculler) who is as short as me is Ian Lawson, and he weighs 96kg. I suppose he makes up for his leverage disadvantage and shorter pull by being especially powerful. I'm not using lack of bodyweight as an excuse; I simply have fairly ambitious long-term plans for my rowing/erging and I want to give myself every possible advantage.

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » June 11th, 2004, 4:08 pm

Any idea who the tallest top lightweights are?<br><br>An athletic friend of mine is 6'6 and 165 pounds.

[old] sekitori

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] sekitori » June 11th, 2004, 5:23 pm

To show how strange this Atkins mania has become, there is now a vitamin on the market which supposedly is for those on a low carb diet. It's One-A-Day CarbSmart. I've also seen low carb milk advertised. So now they're taiking advantage of vitamin and milk sales. I wonder what will be next. I'm sure these items cost more than regular milk and vitamins. So do the Atkins products I've seen. Atkins Endulge Ice Cream (their spelling, not mine) costs around $4.00 a pint, or about $16.00 for a half gallon. For this you get a product that is 65 to 80% fat. A large percentage of that fat is saturated. The only good thing about it is that it doesn't contain sugar. <br><br>The bottom line is that the Atkins people and those who are pushing associated products such as vitamins have only one motivating factor and it sure isn't health. It's money. They create a demand for products and then they charge as much as they can for them, despite the fact that they're unhealthful or unnecessary. I do give them credit, however. They know where the money is and they sure know how to get it.

[old] drkcgoh

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] drkcgoh » June 11th, 2004, 6:32 pm

There are still people out there who eat a normal balanced diet without a single vitamin or supplement. We may not be talented enough to win hammers or gold medals, but we maintain good health and recover from minor coughs & colds or stomach upsets in just a few hours without any medication (had bad stomach cramps & diarrhoea that lasted almost 1 hr the other night, but resumed normal rowing for 9K the next morning). <br>Why should there be all this fuss about diets if not for the status symbol about the money made and spent on them. As a wise friend from New England once remarked, "I don't want to be the poorest healthy person around".<br>KC62