LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Jodi
1k Poster

What did I miss?

Post by Jodi » April 26th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Although I haven't been active on the forum in quite some time, I have been active and have thought often that I really need to log in and see what everyone is doing.
I have no excuse, although I have been busy. (Helping out with my grandchildren while my son was in California for training, medical issues, and with summer coming on the yard is requiring a lot more maintenance)
I'm happy to say that by reestablishing a weight training workout over the last 3 months I have been able to get back down to my pre-thyroid condition weight. Rowing and running short distances has been my cardio workouts and I have been able to sustain longer sprints, although I row less on the average. But it's a give and take, so I count it as a blessing to be healthy at my age. I have found that the same breathing technique used for rowing works well in running, and that's a good thing with the heat and humidity of summer coming quickly to Southeast Georgia, so thanks again to the forum for that.
I'll have to go back and read what's been going on, but it's good to know you guys are here and haven't moved while I was away. (We threatened to do that when our kids left home):lol:
I attached a picture of my grandchildren because they are so darn cute, and it's a grandparents responsibility to brag, so I'm bragging. :D
Attachments
Ciera & Nikolas March 2012.jpg
My Grandchildren
Ciera & Nikolas March 2012.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 6192 times
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, used up, totally worn out, & loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

brotherjim
10k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by brotherjim » April 26th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Jodi,
Glad you were able to get down to your pre-thyroid weight. That is awesome. Your grandkids are beautiful, I think all grandkids are beautiful. It is tough when 4 play ball during different seasons and really tough when they play at the same time and are on different teams due to ages. Ashley, Allie, Kaylee, and Ethan all have games tonight. Only Ash and Allie are on the same team.
Keep up the great work Jodi.
jim

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » April 26th, 2012, 7:33 pm

OK Jodi, You started it. Your Grandkids are adorable, but now you have to look at mine. Charlie is 18 months and Mae is 3 months. We call them Irish Twins. And I'm sure 27 will be showing a picture of the beautiful Julliet soon. Anybody else want to brag on their Grandkids, aren't they the best!
danno

Image[/img]

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » April 26th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Ok you guys I figured out my non-notification problem with the forum. I started using a new spam filter a couple of months ago and it thoroughly scoured my email and sent most of it the the junk folder. So now I am happily recieving 20 Lunatic up dates a day. Jayus you guys are verbose, love it!

danno

Jodi
1k Poster

Post by Jodi » April 26th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Oh my gosh! They are so cute! Why do you call them the Irish twins, and do they live close to you. And thanks Danno for your response, I couldn't imagine having to try and make it to that many games, but we would give it our best shot!
My two are a 10 hour drive away. We used to fly, but it's gotten too expensive. I hope they live closer by the time the kids are old enough to play soccer or t-ball, because we really want to stay active in their lives.
Okay Luna-tics, more grandchildren pictures?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, used up, totally worn out, & loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Jodi
1k Poster

Post by Jodi » April 26th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Oops! I'm such an airhead tonight. In my response I put "thanks Danno" but meant Jim. I was looking at Danno's response at the bottom of the page and wrote that instead of Jim. That's what happens when I'm talking to my sister on the phone while trying to type a response. :oops:

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » April 26th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Jodi wrote:Oops! I'm such an airhead tonight. In my response I put "thanks Danno" but meant Jim. I was looking at Danno's response at the bottom of the page and wrote that instead of Jim. That's what happens when I'm talking to my sister on the phone while trying to type a response. :oops:
So now I have hurt feelings cause you weren't talking to me. And such a great responce it was. FYI they are called Irish Twins because they are less than 15 months apart. And we live 19 hours apart. We in Dayton Beach and they in Chicago.

danno

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: She's A Meter Multi-Millionaire....THREE Million!

Post by BAZzy » April 26th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Tammy, on achieving a THREE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more! Way to row!
Way to row Tammy! Cheers, BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » April 26th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Crikey, lots happening in here today. Good to see you Jodi, and great photos, and also Danno’s grand-children. There’ll be a few million metres in my log-book before I get to post some! :)

BG, signs-up for an obstacle run (WOO HOO!) – you’ve got to love that, post the details when you can.
And Ron, on massaging your butt! I use a small medicine ball to roll on, especially after doing squats, and it works a treat...

Rugby season starts tomorrow, not sure who is excited more, TomO, or Mum and Dad – we all are! :D

And I came across this quote the other day from a Navy Seal / SWCC - I don't stop when I'm tired, I stop when I'm done (was going through my head at about the 8,000M of a 10,000m row this morning).

Have a good weekend wherever you are in the rowing universe...

Cheers, BBB
www.thelandy.com

just27
10k Poster

Post by just27 » April 26th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Toothdoc wrote:OK Jodi, You started it. Your Grandkids are adorable ... And I'm sure 27 will be showing a picture of the beautiful Julliet soon. Anybody else want to brag on their Grandkids?
danno
Oh, sure, twist my arm: Juliette, with grandpa AJ,
discovers that bubbles taste bad when they burst on your face.

Chris
Everything's Shiny. Not to fret.

Edscapade
2k Poster

Post by Edscapade » April 26th, 2012, 11:01 pm

That is an awesome quote BaZzy! Thanks for sharing. It is so true...

Thanks for the information Kona and macbruce1 on how to deal with the long rowing. I do appreciate it.

Wishing you all the best in meeting your goals!

Best,
Ed

just27
10k Poster

London 2012: Advertisement

Post by just27 » April 27th, 2012, 6:39 pm

This has got to be the best ad, ever. (Don't get ruffled, dads, it's doubtless because Mother's Day is coming up!)

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: London 2012: Advertisement

Post by BAZzy » April 27th, 2012, 7:38 pm

just27 wrote:This has got to be the best ad, ever. (Don't get ruffled, dads, it's doubtless because Mother's Day is coming up!)
How good was that...tugged at the heart strings a little!

Cheers, BBB
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 4.26.12

Post by Kona2 » April 27th, 2012, 9:08 pm

That was a very good ad, Minnie....must say that it sure seemed easy for those moms to wake up those kids... :lol:

Welcome back, Tris! Always good to have returning rowers back on board.

Image Another episode...

Back in a long ago day, there was a televised showing of a parody of the fairy tale "The Princess and the Pea." Only this one was called Once Upon A Mattress, and I think a movie was actually made of it years later. Once Upon A Mattress starred Carol Burnett, who was playing Princess Winnifred (Fred for short), a gal from the swamps that the Prince wanted to marry (this was pre-Shrek the movie). Oh no! cried the parents...and a test was devised to see if she was really, really a true princess. If she could feel that small disturbance under ALL those mattresses, well then...she was a Princess, and thus marriage-worthy. (How did they ever come up with that one?!). Where am I going with this? Well, yesterday I decided new pillows were needed. My previous attempt at getting just the right pillows had ended up with the new pillows exiled to the guest room, and the old pillows happily retrieved from the closet. A year passed, and once again I decided to go hunt pillows. There are stores in the US where you can find WHOLE rooms full of pillows of every shape and size, and I won't even go into all the types of fillings. But pillows are very specific things for each of us...and I know that you have all been here. Into the closet went the old pillows, into the pillowcases went the new ones. Unfortunately, the new ones called up memories of Once Upon A Mattress. These pillows were not for neck support...they were for neck pain! So today, the more scientific approach of take a tape measure with me to see if I can replicate the "favorites." If not, another room is getting some new pillows...I know, goofy bunny trail, but true...

On a more serious note, I was thinking about Baz's quote about rowing until we're done, even when it's boring or we want to do other stuff. And we do that because rowing and all the other exercise things that we do help us CONTINUE to do the other things that we want to do. Bruce is getting ready for base camp of Mt Everest. bg is getting ready to train for an obstacle course run...even though she's already navigated some pretty serious obstacles in life (as many of our team have done). Many are trying to keep up with some really, really adorable grandkids. We have so many adventures that are still out there to find, conquer...and to get other people interested in doing these things for the fun that's out there is stellar.
And so ...because we're into adventure...I was hoping that this next year, we could head back to the moon...unless you all insist on returning to earth first. What say you?

Season meters as of 363/366 = 203,858,087 m

Total meters on the day = 1,114,999 m

Oars in space (participation) = 26 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

5.75 MM Michelle
4.8 MM Rosi
4.7 MM Jim
2.65 MM Katerina
2.6 MM Ross
1.85 MM Brian
950 K Greg C
550 K Tim P
450 K Peter G

Thanks to everyone who rowed with us today!

Steven D 857 m
Gene H 1,500 m
Mario Jackson 1,500 m
Sunny 2,300 m
Marty 2,560 m
Diana 3,000 m
Zander 3,000 m
Tammy 3,300 m
Elton 4,000 m
Sam 4,500 m
Roger 4,900 m
Paul B 5,000 m
Harold 5,001 m
Jeri 5,015 m
Peter G 5,157 m
Marie 5,500 m
Robyn ImageImageImageImage m :D
David T 6,000 m
Fritz 6,658 m
Stephen N 6,723 m
Anita 7,000 m
Rivka 7,500 m
Sarah 7,500 m
Jim 7,519 m
AJ 8,209 m
Christa 8,500 m
Rosi ImageImageImageImage m :D
Baz 10,000 m
Brian 10,000 m
Ross 10,062 m
Greg C 10,591 m
Bruce 10,905 m
David A 11,996 m
Bernie 12,009 m
Tim 12,070 m
Ronnie 14,000 m
Ed 15,000 m
Michelle 15,000 m
Walter 15,000 m
Cathie 15,780 m
Jay 18,000 m
Image Richard T 21,097 m
Image Minnie 21,297 m
Image Katerina 22,000 m
Image Ron 23,097 m
Jodi 30,591 m ... great update!
Tris 678,251 m

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » April 28th, 2012, 9:12 am

Ron, That sounds like it will be great fun and very interesting. How odd, I was just reading in a Saturday magazine about a Civil War reenactmant regiment band called "The Wildcat Regiment Band" Have a great time :)

Kona, I vote for returning to moon again . Will we just turn from where we are and head back? Is that possible? I guess if we haven't entered the earth's atmosphere we won't need booster rockets, but i am just a lowly musician and don't understand space travel that well. Barely understand the space betwixt my ears.
jim