LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: She's A Meter Multi-Millionaire....Again!

Post by bg » March 9th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Rivka, on achieving a THREE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!!

Way to row !!
woooo hooooo and congrats rivka....

Dave_H
2k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Dave_H » March 9th, 2012, 5:29 pm

Well done Rivka and Mitch J! Congratulations!

A beautiful sunny Sydney morning on this side of the Pacific... and its a Saturday!!
A very unusual circumstance from recent history - maybe I should ask nancypants to get her kids to work out the probability of having so few sunny Saturdays in a Sydney summer! :lol:

A good weekend to all,
Dave

Kona2
Marathon Poster

A new teammate!

Post by Kona2 » March 9th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Welcome to our new year round teammate, Senga (also participating on our World Erg Challenge team)! We wish you many great rowing sessions, some fine personal milestones, and lots of good camaraderie!

mrbogie
Paddler

Post by mrbogie » March 9th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I can't get anything past you, K2.
Haven't seen this topic in awhile -- I enjoy erging to virtual rowing music, esp. the album of Pablo Tato. It's downloadable from itunes. I also throw in some "music" from the Blue Man Group. Makes those space meters go in a hurry.
Does everyone do a "cool down". It always seems like I'm working as hard at the end of the "cool down" as I am at the end of a programmed row. Just curious.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

nancypants
Paddler

Post by nancypants » March 9th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Dave_H wrote:A beautiful sunny Sydney morning on this side of the Pacific... and its a Saturday!!
A very unusual circumstance from recent history - maybe I should ask nancypants to get her kids to work out the probability of having so few sunny Saturdays in a Sydney summer! :lol:
Hee - I have had to stop them from spending half of class trolling the web site looking for other things to analyze - I'm sure it is no surprise to anyone that there is a GOLD MINE of data around here. They already came up with predictions for the year of somewhere between 11.94 billion and 12.3 billion total meters based on the previous year totals - I'm kind of curious to see how close they are (there were multiple arguments about the best way to estimate it - I might make it a project for next year at the beginning of the year).

Rumping
1k Poster

Post by Rumping » March 9th, 2012, 9:16 pm

mrbogie wrote:I can't get anything past you, K2.
Haven't seen this topic in awhile -- I enjoy erging to virtual rowing music, esp. the album of Pablo Tato. It's downloadable from itunes. I also throw in some "music" from the Blue Man Group. Makes those space meters go in a hurry.
Does everyone do a "cool down". It always seems like I'm working as hard at the end of the "cool down" as I am at the end of a programmed row. Just curious.
I haven't paid too much attention the last week (Busy busy busy), but I saw numerous milestones race by so congratulations to everyone on their milestone (I know, lame cop-out) and welcome to our new members (and their dogs).

As far as music goes, industrial rock seems to work best for me (Funker Vogt, Klutae, Pain), but often I just have the iPod on random (mostly metal, some punk, industrial and trance).

I do a cool down almost every session. Usually a 2km piece at 2:15 with the goal to finish at exactly 9:00.0, which I've managed a couple of times. Sometimes I end up going slower than that simply because my HR is higher than I want it to be once I'm a bit over halfway, but usually the 9m goal is a fun target and it's pretty much a universal CD on RowPro it seems. To compare, my usual row will be at a pace under 2 minutes, so 15-20 seconds slower is a nice cool down. I don't know how much good it really does, but I try to work on technique during the CD and try to stop sweating (or at least to stop sweating soon after).
Wim (attempting to get back into rowing shape).

Restless
1k Poster

Re: A new teammate!

Post by Restless » March 9th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Kona2 wrote:Welcome to our new year round teammate, Senga (also participating on our World Erg Challenge team)! We wish you many great rowing sessions, some fine personal milestones, and lots of good camaraderie!
Welcome to the team Senga! Wishing you many great rows :)

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: A new teammate!

Post by bg » March 9th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Kona2 wrote:Welcome to our new year round teammate, Senga (also participating on our World Erg Challenge team)! We wish you many great rowing sessions, some fine personal milestones, and lots of good camaraderie!
welcome senga.....

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » March 9th, 2012, 10:40 pm

mrbogie wrote: Does everyone do a "cool down". It always seems like I'm working as hard at the end of the "cool down" as I am at the end of a programmed row. Just curious.
I never used to do a cool down on the erg or when I was on the water. (I'm still not great about doing them on the water, but know I should.) Thanks to my Lunatic friends encouraging me to erg as many meters as I could, I realized a warm up and cool down are good ways to add extra meters. I try to do at least 5 minutes for each. I try to hold a 2:22-2:28 split for these which usually lands me a little over 1000m per 5 minutes. (You have to go by what works for you in terms of splits. Everyone is different.) My cool down is a separate piece from the workout. I can't be wimpy on the end of the "work out" piece, so the clock stops for that and then I start again for the 5' cool down. (My sprint work is 1:52-2:00 splits. I've done a 2k in under 8 min. before, but I'm not pushing myself that hard these days. I'm more like a 2:03-2:06 split for an 8-10 min piece although I probably could go faster if I had the right motivation.) My cool down pace is at a light paddle pressure for me.

Hope I helped satisfy your curiosity! :wink:

Karyn

Kona2
Marathon Poster

She's A Meter Multi-Millionaire

Post by Kona2 » March 10th, 2012, 10:22 am

ImageImageImageImage

Whoop, whoop and hooyah! Congratulations, Katerina, on achieving a TWO million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!

Still our only Luna-Tic March Madness winner....what'd you win, what'd you win...curious minds want to know... :D

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » March 10th, 2012, 10:24 am

Numbers captured....posting later this day. Stay in the hunt....68 Lunies (may be some late updates that boost this number) still on track with the March Madness Challenge.

mrbogie
Paddler

Post by mrbogie » March 10th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Karyn wrote:
"I do a cool down almost every session. Usually a 2km piece at 2:15 with the goal to finish at exactly 9:00.0, quote]which I've managed a couple of times. Sometimes I end up going slower than that simply because my HR is higher than I want it to be once I'm a bit over halfway, but usually the 9m goal is a fun target and it's pretty much a universal CD on RowPro it seems. To compare, my usual row will be at a pace under 2 minutes, so 15-20 seconds slower is a nice cool down. I don't know how much good it really does, but I try to work on technique during the CD and try to stop sweating (or at least to stop sweating soon after)."

Thanks Karyn and Rumping -- Your cool downs would make a workout and a half for me, but I do feel like I'm getting stronger all the time.
Fritz
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: She's A Meter Multi-Millionaire

Post by bg » March 10th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImageImage

Whoop, whoop and hooyah! Congratulations, Katerina, on achieving a TWO million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!

Still our only Luna-Tic March Madness winner....what'd you win, what'd you win...curious minds want to know... :D
woooo hooo katrina.....and i'm also curious.....as far as cool downs and warm ups...i need to start doing those....

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 3.9.12

Post by Kona2 » March 10th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Rats. Can't get the graphics program to go - so will be a plain one today.

Season meters as of 316/366 = 169,648,817 m

Total meters on the day = 805,177 m

Oars in space (participation) = 30 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

7.45 MM Jay
6.85 MM Ron
3.15 MM Christa
2.9 MM Bernie
2.55 MM Tammy
2.0 MM Katerina
1.75 MM Harold
1.25 MM Dave H
1.2 MM Jeff P
750 K G4reg C
250 K Andre

Hooboy! Stayin alive is getting trickier every single day! There's always those days you just can't plan for....or so I tell myself.

Thanks to all for rowing today !

Ethan 525 m
Kaylee 750 m
Mario Jackson 750 m
Gene H 1,700 m
Lily 1,883 m
Nancypants 5,000 m
Sunny 5,000 m
Marty 5,001 m
Roger 5,004 m
Scott 5,200 m
Harold 5,500 m
Rosi 5,510 m
K2 5,555 m
David T 6,000 m
Pat B 6,078 m
Diana 6,110 m
Tony 6,666 m
Jim 7,000 m
Sam 7,000 m
Nataliya 7,500 m
Jane 8,002 m
Pat S 8,400 m
David 8,528 m
Anita 10,000 m
Christa 10,000 m
Dave H 10,000 m
Jeff P 10,000 m
Peter H 10,000 m
Raoul 10,000 m
Zander 10,000 m
Tammy 10,002 m
James G enrage 10,018 m
Chip 10,101 m
Greg C 10,487 m
Fritz 10,888 m
Ronnie 11,000 m
Minnie 13,777 m
Rivka 15,000 m
Sarah 15,000 m
Michelle 16,000 m
Marie 17,020 m
Baz 20,000 m
Cathie 20,150 m
Stephen N 20,600 m
bg 22,267 m
Bernie 24,027 m
Katerina 27,000 m
Ron 28,097 m - definitely a half marathon in there!
Elton 30,000 m
Jay 32,000 m
Richard T 32,336 m

kgallagher
2k Poster

Post by kgallagher » March 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm

mrbogie wrote: Thanks Karyn and Rumping -- Your cool downs would make a workout and a half for me, but I do feel like I'm getting stronger all the time.
Fritz
You may not know, but I have been rowing for 25 years, so I have a lot of experience on the water and the erg on my side. You can't compare yourself to others. Look at what you do and simply go from there. The important thing is to listen to your body and do what is right for you. I am sure you are stronger and faster than the first time you sat on an erg. That's what matters. Keep up the good work!

Karyn