LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

big maq
500m Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by big maq » February 21st, 2012, 9:10 pm

WOOO HOOO Finally made my 7 million lifetime meters!!!! Yeah!!!
Mitch J

Restless
1k Poster

Post by Restless » February 21st, 2012, 11:52 pm

big maq wrote:WOOO HOOO Finally made my 7 million lifetime meters!!!! Yeah!!!
Mitch J
That is awesome! Congrats on your 7 million :!: I'm trying to creep up on 2 million lifetime for myself.

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 2.20.12

Post by Kona2 » February 22nd, 2012, 1:17 am

Whoa...almost missed the day's posting (although I did capture the info at the usual time)! And what a great day everyone seems to have been having...welcome back to Pat B for the 2012 season! Also, welcome new teammate Nancy P AND congratulations on that new rowing machine (best use of a tax return I've heard of!). We wish you many great rowing sessions, and much camaraderie with the team.

Meanwhile, our logbook says that Marathon Fever is continuing to run its course through the team ranks. Of course, it never completely goes away. Congratulations, Charles B, on a fine full marathon! And Kapn Kristine has checked in! Most excellent day!

Season meters as of 298/366 = 158,630,357 m

Total meters on the day = 522,137 m

Oars in space (participation) = 35 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

6.45 MM Ron
2.8 MM bg
2.75 MM Bernie
2.35 MM Robyn
2.2 MM Ross
1.8 MM David T
1.65 MM Harold
1.45 MM Terri
1.45 MM Raoul
1.25 MM Charles B - with a full marathon to sail across that milestone marker
1.2 MM Wim
700 K Mike M

Thanks to everyone who rowed today - some milestones are getting VERY close!

Steven D 881 m
Ashlee 1,011 m
Lily 1,100 m
Kaylee 1,200 m - nice new picture!
Mario Jackson 1,500 m
Denny 2,500 m
Bobbie 3,000 m
Rosi 3,000 m plus sneaker miles...
Ken H 3,605 m
Sam 3,700 m
Marty 4,000 m
Tammy 4,000 m
Scott 4,300 m
Marie 4,500 m
Chuck 5,000 m
Dave H 5,000 m
Nataliya 5,600 m
David T 6,000 m
Terri 6,000 m
Collin 6.720 m
Diana 7,500 m
Katerina 7,500 m
Robyn 7,500 m
Mitch J 7,513 m
Anita 7,899 m
Tim K 8,000 m
Wim 8,826 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m
Harold 9,000 m
Jim 9,000 m
Christa 9,500 m
Jerry 10,000 m
Mike C 10,000 m
Mike M 10,000 m
Rebecca 10,000 m ...just add that 777 and you'll have SIX lucky 7s in a row. Good karma it would be.
Ron 10,000 m ... hope your back is holding up!
Zander 10,500 m
Fritz 10,976 m
Rivka 11,000 m
Sarah 11,000 m
Ross 11,235 m
Kristine 11,566 m
Roger 12,000 m
Ronnie 12,000 m
Bernie 12,012 m
Pat B 12,017 m
Greg H 12,502 m
Dennis 13,485 m
Michelle 14,000 m
David A 14,258 m
Jay 15,000 m
Raoul 15,131 m
Image Cathie 21,000 m
Image Danno 21,097 m
Image bg 25,150 m ...whoa...look at you go, girl!
ImageCharles B 42,195 m

Kona2
Marathon Poster

7 Million Lifetime Meters

Post by Kona2 » February 22nd, 2012, 1:19 am

ImageImageImage Image

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Mitch J, on achieving SEVEN million lifetime meters! We wish you many, MANY more!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » February 22nd, 2012, 4:36 am

Restless wrote:
Mitch J
That is awesome! Congrats on your 7 million :!: I'm trying to creep up on 2 million lifetime for myself.

-Rebecca

wooo hooo mitch...and welcome nancy...and welcome back pat..and good to hear from captain k....and i can't wait for spring training games to start....

nancypants
Paddler

Post by nancypants » February 22nd, 2012, 10:47 am

Hi, everyone - thanks for the welcome! I'm really looking forward to rowing with you guys. I figure that I'm more likely to stick with it if I am being held accountable. I'm turning forty in May and am really trying to make some lifestyle changes so that my forties are healthier than my thirties have been. :D

Rumping
1k Poster

Post by Rumping » February 22nd, 2012, 11:21 am

nancypants wrote:Hi, everyone - thanks for the welcome! I'm really looking forward to rowing with you guys. I figure that I'm more likely to stick with it if I am being held accountable. I'm turning forty in May and am really trying to make some lifestyle changes so that my forties are healthier than my thirties have been. :D
Welcome Nancy! Good luck on the lifestyle changes. It can be hard, but it's a great feeling when you can look back next year and say to yourself that you feel or look much better than you did a year earlier.

As far as accountability goes, our team has a great accountant :) Keep updating your online logbook, and if you haven't already tried out Row Pro, I suggest to try that as well. There's not always people around to row with, and most of the time you're not racing anyone, but it's great to have a little chat before/after a row with like-minded folks and to know that the other avatar(s) you're seeing on the screen/laptop are real people. It's well worth the investment (at least I think so, as it helps me quite a bit).

Also great, if you use facebook, is the Concept 2 app which will post your rows on facebook for your friends/family to see.

After commenting/liking some performances at the Crash B's this weekend, one of the rowers suggested I'd try to beat my PB for the 2k as he 'knew' from having rowed with me on Row Pro that I could do better. And so last night two others helped me through a warm up, race and cool down. I did improve my PB by over 2 seconds, but it wasn't as good as I was aiming for. I just had no breath left after 1500m and had to slow down. The strength is there, my heart rate never went over 170, but I just couldn't get enough oxygen. Every time after a 2k attempt I end up with a sore throat and coughing all evening long. I wonder how to improve my breathing properly...

And congrats Mitch! That's a lot of kilometers!
Wim (attempting to get back into rowing shape).

Restless
1k Poster

Post by Restless » February 22nd, 2012, 11:41 am

nancypants wrote:Hi, everyone - thanks for the welcome! I'm really looking forward to rowing with you guys. I figure that I'm more likely to stick with it if I am being held accountable. I'm turning forty in May and am really trying to make some lifestyle changes so that my forties are healthier than my thirties have been. :D
I'm a little late but welcome! This is a great team to be with. Since joining I've had continued support and motivation, not to mention inspiration from the stories and achievements of everyone here.

Also, congrats Wim on your new 2k time. :)

-Rebecca
Life is not about learning to survive the storm, but rather learning to dance in the rain.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

She's Got Her Million !

Post by Kona2 » February 22nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Diana, on achieving a ONE million meter rowing season! We wish you many, MANY more!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Breathing....

Post by Kona2 » February 22nd, 2012, 1:06 pm

Wowzer...took me a bit to find this series (thanks to all those who venture forth into the forum and ask the questions - some of the question and answer series are quite useful to many). I've now saved some of Baz's tips on breathing exercises into a word document for easier reference. :shock: Baz has reported some good success with changing up breathing technique, and he's got some great references here. Hope it helps.
Rumping wrote: After commenting/liking some performances at the Crash B's this weekend, one of the rowers suggested I'd try to beat my PB for the 2k as he 'knew' from having rowed with me on Row Pro that I could do better. And so last night two others helped me through a warm up, race and cool down. I did improve my PB by over 2 seconds, but it wasn't as good as I was aiming for. I just had no breath left after 1500m and had to slow down. The strength is there, my heart rate never went over 170, but I just couldn't get enough oxygen. Every time after a 2k attempt I end up with a sore throat and coughing all evening long. I wonder how to improve my breathing properly...
BAZzy wrote:
Jodi wrote:I'd love to hear Baz' thoughts on a breathing technique while doing sprints. I wasn't aware that there was a technique, but it makes sense since breathing while doing any sort of rigorous physical exercise is a challenge. I could just be speaking for myself though. :lol:
Hi Jodi

Firstly, I am a big fan of short sprint work-outs.

From my reading on the subject it is all about increasing your anaerobic threshold. The body can only operate at this level for shorter periods, but it can be conditioned to lengthen it and I’ve put a link for you to have a look at.

I mentioned on Friday that I will be switching from longer endurance rows into much shorter sprint work. Endurance should be seen as the foundation for any training program, but working at, or close to, 100% of your heart-rate capacity as part of your program will increase your speed. If you want to go faster you need to train for that. If you haven’t already have a look at the Concept Rowing training manual on the Concept website, it is quite a comprehensive document and it has a number of pre-set programs in Chapter 5. I follow the 2,000m training program that runs through 26 weeks. It starts with endurance work, and moves into speed work later. I find this a very good and dynamic all-round program.

Breathing is an interesting one for rowers, as you are frequently compressing your diaphragm as you are trying to breathe. So what is useful is to strengthen the muscles you use for breathing to make the process more efficient. I use a device called ‘power breathe’ which is very simple, but effective. It isn’t about increasing lung capacity (it might though) and I can say that I have noticed a reasonable increase in performance over time. Getting oxygen around the body and especially into the legs is key to good performance. I’ve put a link to this also...

Good luck with it, and let me know how you get on... Cheers, BBB

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/adv ... eshold.asp

http://www.concept2.com.au/training/tra ... ining.aspx

http://concept2.co.uk/training/breathing

From Amazon: not advocating the product, just giving you the info...

There are several power breathe devices on the market - and at least one reference book that talks about breathing and athletics: Breathe Strong, Perform Better by Allison McConnell.
Alison McConnell is a professor of applied physiology at Brunel University in London. She is a fellow of both the American College of Sports Medicine and the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) and is a BASES-accredited physiologist. McConnell is acknowledged as a leading authority on breathing muscle training and is the author of numerous scientific articles and book chapters. She is a regular presenter at international scientific and medical conferences.

McConnell is the inventor of Powerbreathe, a breathing muscle training system created in the early 1990s. She pioneered the introduction of breathing muscle training into athlete preparation and has worked with Olympic and world champions around the world to help them to optimize the use of Powerbreathe in their preparation for competition. She has also been influential in the acceptance of breathing muscle training as a treatment for breathlessness in patients with lung disease, and Powerbreathe is now a prescribed treatment within the UK National Health Service.
Today’s top athletes, as well as their coaches and trainers, know the benefits that breathing muscle training provides. From performance to conditioning, the results are clear. Now with Breathe Strong, Perform Better, you will learn how to use breathing training to excel.

In this comprehensive guide, the world’s leading authority on breathing muscle training, Alison McConnell, will show you how to apply the latest scientific research and case studies to maximize training, conditioning, and performance. With detailed instruction, practical advice, and easy-to-use sample programs in Breathe Strong, Perform Better, you will be able to achieve these goals:

•Increase breathing strength, power, and endurance.

•Improve breathing comfort.

•Improve performance times.

•Accelerate training and performance recovery.

•Enhance breathing efficiency.

•Reduce whole-body effort.

•Minimize the risk of injury.

In addition, you’ll find more than 30 sample workouts for specific sports and fitness activities, such as baseball, cycling, football, running, soccer, swimming, tennis, and weight training.

With professional insights, exercise tips, and advice for integrating breathing training into existing training programs, this guide has it all. If you are ready to improve fitness, increase performance, or simply maximize your enjoyment of exercise, Breathe Strong, Perform Better is the guide you can’t be without.

So...for those who are interested in pursuing some additional thoughts on improving breathing (I could have used some of these in the last week...), here's a resource.

Rumping
1k Poster

Post by Rumping » February 22nd, 2012, 3:10 pm

Thanks K2 (And Baz). I found that article on breathing through Fletcher's site last night (someone mentioned a Fletcher warm-up, so I tried to look it up and found a lot of interesting information). I don't see myself investing in a breathing device at this time. I do see myself doing more sprints and pushing my lungs and hopefully see improvements there, as my lungs are currently what's preventing me from breaking the 7 minute barrier (well, technique is probably the main cause, as between breathing technique and rowing technique there's certainly some time that can be gained).

And Baz, are you still using the Power Breathe?

Congrats Diana on the 1M!
Wim (attempting to get back into rowing shape).

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 22nd, 2012, 4:13 pm

I have had a powerbreathe for a few years and I recommend them (not a paid spokesman, but an actual user). They do help your lung function and I also believe help your cardio. My doctor said that since I have used one, my O2 levels are better and my bp is lower. My 4 cents with inflation.

Congrats Diana on 1 million meters. Welcome to all new teammates, sorry so late.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 2.21.12

Post by Kona2 » February 22nd, 2012, 4:48 pm

Image Another episode..

This is definitely a bunny trail...or maybe today it's a cat tale. It all started about six years ago when the Denver Dumb Friends League decided to have an Adopt A Cat day. I had no intention of having a cat, but others in my family were somewhat insistent that we at least go see the cat parade. Miles down the road, the process began with getting a number and wandering to several of the viewing windows where all kinds, sizes of kittens and cats played. "Don't get too attached to one specific cat," came the cautioning words "because you pick by number." I wasn't worried. I had no intention of getting a cat. A couple of hours passed, and had my eye on a couple of kittens..and they were snagged by those holding the numbers ahead of us. We must have looked particularly dejected. One of the workers there came and talked with us for a short while, and we found ourselves in a room filled with kittens in lock up (they were in small wire kennels). These were kittens who were not quite old enough or heavy enough (needed to be 2 lb) to be adopted out, or maybe they needed some meds administered for a few more days. I was looking at one cage. It said "female" kittens, and there were three romping about. One in particular caught my attention. I was handed that kitten to hang onto while we looked about. Several were held out for inspection and I found myself saying "this.is.the.one." Where did that come from?! After some paperwork, and learning how to administer some meds, we were out the door with a kitten in a cardboard box and instructions to bring the kitten back for neutering in a few days. Of course in all the newness, who reads the instructions? He was in the girl kitten cage. All I know is that Jessie had to be renamed Jesse. Dogs are so much less complicated. Jesse still likes empty cardboard boxes...and anything with a carbohydrate in it...and believes he is a dog. But that's how he ended up here.

Season meters as of 299/366 = 159,155,080 m ...woohoo! We're working on day 300 today !

Total meters on the day = 529,423 m

Oars in space (participation) = 32 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

7.05 MM Jay
5.9 MM Cathie
3.9 MM Ronnie
3.45 MM David A
2.8 MM Rivka
1.05 MM Jeff P
1.0 MM Diana
950 K Mitch J

Image Million Meter Watch:

Cathie with (84,149 m) to go!

Minnie with (64,839 m) to go!

Ronnie with (93,859 m) to go!

Zander with (26,778 m) to go!

Christa with (60,495 m) to go!

Baz with (169,257 m) to go!

bg with (167,479 m) to go!

Rivka with (192,982 m) to go!

Bernie with (245,738 m) to go!

Elton with (86,030 m) to go!

Sam with (119,168 m) to go!

Katerina with (155,360 m) to go!

David T with (194,000 m) to go!

K2 with (19,989 m) to go!

Chris H with (44,301 m) to go!

Mitch with (49,788 m) to go!

Sunny with (54,961 m) to go!

Angelo with (59,836 m) to go!

Kevin N with (60,550 m) to go!

Tony with (82,223 m) to go!

BJ with (133,942 m) to go!

Ted with (137,000 m) to go!

Thanks to all who rowed today!

Steven D 897 m
Lily 950 m
Mario 1,560 m
Terri 1,800 m
tom R 2,319 m
Ken H 2,500 m
Bobbie 3,000 m
Diana 3,000 m
Gene H 3,000 m
Jeri 4,000 m
Scott 4,350 m
Harold 4,500 m
Sam 4,600 m
Marie 5,000 m
Peter G 5,019 m
Robyn 5,111 m
David T 6,000 m
Wim 6,093 m
Rick 6,456 m
Tim K 6,793 m
Jeff P 7,068 m
Jim 7,500 m
Nataliya 7,500 m
Rosi 7,500 m
Mitch 7,765 m
Katerina 8,000 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage m :D
Anita 9,000 m
Sunny 9,000 m
BJ 9,047 m
Christa 9,500 m
Mike C 9,977 m
Thomas T 10,000 m
Zander 10,555 m
Greg C 10,588 m
Ross 10,842 m
Rivka 11,000 m
Fritz 11,640 m
Jerry 12,000 m
Sarah 12,500 m
Michelle 13,000 m
Dennis 13,445 m
David A 14,619 m
Jay 15,000 m
Ronnie 19,600 m
Baz 20,000 m
Image Cathie 20,500 m
Image Danno 21,097 m ... you've a Mooner again ...
Image Walter 21,097 m ... he's become a Mooner...
Image bg 22,157 m
Nancy 39,895 m
Image Ron 42,195 m ...Full Mooner...

Drivetofast
6k Poster

Post by Drivetofast » February 22nd, 2012, 4:55 pm

That was a good Cat trail Keep them comming they are to funny :lol:

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » February 22nd, 2012, 5:23 pm

Mitch J
Congratulations!
That is certainly a lot of erging.
You're more than 2/3 of the way to the big 10.

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log