Rowing While Pregnant

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mariqua

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mariqua » November 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Hello there-<br /><br />I'm new to the forum and am awaiting my new Concept 2 rower. I used one at the gym when I belonged to one, and after much exhaustive research, I can't imagine owning any other brand.<br /><br />My question is this: how many women out there have rowed while pregnant? I am into my fourth month and am just starting to feel a bit better now that the morning/noon/evening sickness has begun to subside. This is my first baby, and I am a fit 41 year old woman. I'm advanced in studio pilates and have been training for the past several years, 3 days a week in addition to walking, hiking, and an occasional run. I need something to keep me in shape while pregnant (in addition to the prenatal pilates which is quite gentle and anaerobic) and also a workout I can sneak in once the baby comes!<br /><br />Any advice or comments much appreciated.<br /><br />All the best for now,<br />Marie

[old] xdarrylx

Women's Forum

Post by [old] xdarrylx » November 2nd, 2005, 5:29 pm

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » November 2nd, 2005, 8:42 pm

Congratulations! Can't really offer you any advice on rowing and pregnancy....i've never been pregnant. Just wanted to say good luck, and keep us updated on what you experience with it, and what your practititionar advises. Could be an excellent resource for other rowers in the future. Take care!

[old] mariqua

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mariqua » November 2nd, 2005, 9:53 pm

Hello again!<br /><br />Thank you all for the advice. I just checked out the pregnancy page and the information was inline with what I have already heard. Great advice to keep monitoring heart rate and listening to the doctor and my body. Since I've been training in pilates for so long, my core abdominal strength is really good so I'm not too concerned about the finish with the rowing as long as I keep the workout on the low to moderate side. Also, I've continued to work the pelvic floor (as it's called in pilates-ese) through the first trimester which is supposedly the trickiest time according to my prenatal instructor and doctor. Strenthening these muscles, I hear, will make the delivery easier. Well, we'll just see about that when the time comes! <br /><br />Also, didn't think too much about the relaxin hormones loosening the joints as well as the general klutziness. This is good to think about as well ... will focus on the workout not the TV (!) and stop if I feel dizzy, etc. <br /><br />And, lastly always good advice to heed the doc's advice. So far he's been pretty accepting of my exercise routine.<br /><br />Again, I appreciate the comments and am looking forward to keeping you updated on my (our) progress. <br /><br />Best,<br />Marie

[old] Nayla

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Nayla » November 3rd, 2005, 10:27 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mariqua+Nov 2 2005, 03:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mariqua @ Nov 2 2005, 03:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My question is this: how many women out there have rowed while pregnant? </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congratulations to you! Very exciting to be expecting. <br />I rowed throughout my entire second pregnancy (didn't have a rower for the first one) and it was wonderful! I kept my hr under 140 and rowed for 30-40 minutes at a time. It was very helpful for keeping the puffiness/swelling at bay. With both pregnancies, my ankles and feet tended to swell up in the third trimester and the rowing made a huge difference. It felt so good to get the blood pumping. The only thing that I needed to adjust when my belly started to really stick out was the recovery of the stroke. I ended up rowing with my legs kind of sticking out to the side to make room for my belly. I felt like a frog. I could feel it in my calf muscles because I wasn't used to rowing that way. In the end though, that birth was sooo much easier than the first - I like to think the rowing had something to do with it.<br /><br />Good luck to you. Let us know how you like it!<br />Nayla<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 12th, 2005, 11:54 am

Here's a new article out on WebMD about how many pregnant women do not get enough exercise: <a href='http://www.webmd.com/content/article/11 ... RSS_PUBLIC' target='_blank'>http://www.webmd.com/content/article/11 ... LIC</a><br /><br />And again, OB care providers should be giving pregnant women exercise guidelines to follow, based on the women's health history and pregnancy risk factors. If they forget (hey, they're human!) be sure and ask.<br /><br /><br />--Jen

[old] mariqua

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mariqua » November 14th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Hi again-<br /><br />I just got my rower on Friday and my husband set it up Saturday morning. I've been using it every day since and it has been wonderful. I have to watch out for my hip flexors though. So I'll be doing lots of stretching as this can be a trouble spot for pregnant women due to the shift in posture.<br /><br />Lots of good advice here, and the article on Web MD was really telling.<br /><br />I must confess that I really need the exercise right now as my husband just found out that his father passed away suddenly. He had to fly to Germany the day he found out to be with his family, and of course I'm not allowed to travel right now so am on my own unable to help. So, the exercise is not only good for my body, it's good for the baby too. A healthy, happy, less-stressed mom will make a healthy baby. My husband is so happy that I'm finding joy in the exercise too. I know it may sound silly but knowing this even helps him since we can't be together.<br /><br />Thanks again for all the great advice. Any tips on working with hip flexor stretches or avoiding injury most welcome.<br /><br />Best,<br />Marie

[old] Mary P.

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mary P. » November 27th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Hi, Marie - I rowed (on the water in a single or erging) every day when I was pregnant. Rowing was comfortable the entire pregnancy. Running became difficult after 6 months, & cycling--forget it! But I had no problems rowing. <br /><br />The best thing about rowing all the way through pregnancy was that I was in shape to erg AFTER pregnancy. Once my son was born, erging was the only exercise I could do without needing to find a babysitter. As an infant my son would be lulled to sleep by the erg whirring, and a couple years later he could watch TV (and explain the cartoons to me) while I erged. <br /><br />Definitely keep erging -- so good for post-pregnancy!<br />Good luck,<br />Mary P.<br /><br />P.S. My son (now 13) and I just finished a "tag team" erg session for the Holiday Challenge -- I do 2K, he does 1K, I do 2K, he does 1...for as long as we can hold up!

[old] dnl17

Women's Forum

Post by [old] dnl17 » December 2nd, 2005, 4:43 pm

Hi Marie - I am also pregnant and interested in who else has been/is pregnant and rowing - seems we could help keep one another motivated. I'm 3 months pregnant and am using my erg 2-3 times/week, this will increase as running becomes more difficult (during my first pregnancy I wasn't comfortable running after about 6 months and switched to the erg and swimming). I rowed during my first pregnancy, but not as much as I'd like to during this one. I too had to kind of tinker with my stroke to accomodate the growing belly, but it wasn't too much of a problem. I'm entering into pregnancy with a good base level of fitness/strenght from 3 solid years of rock climbing/training for climbing and have been using the erg for good cross training. Since climbing and pregnancy don't go hand in hand, I'm going to be more disciplined about rowing and other exercise that still maintains core strength! Also, I was addicted to the erg after my first pregnancy - great and convenient with a baby around - and now my 3 year old likes to try her hand at rowing. <br /><br /><br />Any other pregnant rowers out there? We should stick together... <br /><br />Diane <br />

[old] Chanstero

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Chanstero » December 28th, 2005, 4:38 pm

Hi, I am now 27 weeks pregnant and have begun rowing just a few weeks ago. I began with only 7 minutes a day and am now up to 30 minutes at least 4 times weekly. I am aiming for 30 minutes daily with a once a week hour long stretc. I love it! I have no physical symptoms/complaints at all. In fact, I feel invigorated, healthy and just great overall!

[old] GarolynG

Women's Forum

Post by [old] GarolynG » January 2nd, 2006, 8:06 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy and having the good sense to think /ask about how to best care for your child during it. Looks like you have been getting most of the widely accepted good advice. (You can also find it on the sales part of the concept 2 web site women and rowing section. <a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/womenw ... gnancy.asp)' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/womenw ... gnancy.asp)</a><br />* Stay aerobic – the baby needs oxygen<br />* Stay cool – the baby’s brain is at your core temp <br />* Stay hydrated – baby really needs water – so do you<br />* Don’t lift heavy in your 3rd trimester – your ligaments have some extra stretch - thankfully<br />* Don’t do anything risky (where you could fall and bop the baby)<br />* Don’t work out at a more intense level than you did before the pregnancy (your body is doing enough new stuff!)<br />My GynOb added one I hadn’t read anywhere but the concept is the same<br />* Don’t divert your body flow (go for the burn) – the baby needs oxygen<br />Rowing indoor or out is great, as are many other activities, as long as you know your limits. Rowing has no real fall risk or heavy lifting and can be done aerobically, at your current fitness level, without diverting blood flow, while staying cool and hydrated. I rowed pretty late with my first – then once I got stomach cramps - summer in Texas – fortunately I was in a double with someone who could row me home - made that my last row (stopped around the same time the second time) - my GynOb said it was likely I was just dehydrated – no damage but enough of a scare to get me off the water . You do eventual have some trouble with your stomach getting the way …6 year later it is still a problem! I have two beautiful healthy girls (born in my very late 30s) but I do need to mention they can slow you down a lot more once they are born! Just do what you can and keep your focus on your child – your efforts will pay off for their lifetime.<br />re: the other questions - yes I did row a Marathon (LA) 3 months after my first - but I did one right before I got pregnant too! - and I saved all the really long training for after she was born.

[old] Andrea

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Andrea » January 27th, 2006, 5:46 pm

I'm rowing while pregnant too! We just got our erg after Thanksgiving, and we found out that I'm pregnant with #3 earlier this month. I'm suffering through a lot of morning/noon/night sickness right now. In fact I got really nauseated during one session, so I'm keeping my sessions short, only 15 minutes, and trying to do multiple rows a day spread out. <br /><br />Hopefully the nausea and dizziness will let up soon and I'll be able to row at a more normal pace and distance!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Andrea

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 27th, 2006, 11:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Andrea+Jan 27 2006, 05:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Andrea @ Jan 27 2006, 05:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm rowing while pregnant too! We just got our erg after Thanksgiving, and we found out that I'm pregnant with #3 earlier this month. I'm suffering through a lot of morning/noon/night sickness right now. In fact I got really nauseated during one session, so I'm keeping my sessions short, only 15 minutes, and trying to do multiple rows a day spread out. <br /><br />Hopefully the nausea and dizziness will let up soon and I'll be able to row at a more normal pace and distance!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Andrea <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congrats, Andrea! <br /><br />And I feel for ya, because I *hate* to throw up! <br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] Wiley

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Wiley » March 5th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Hi,<br />Im new to the forum and I am now one month pregnant and very active with rowing and I have continued rowing...I am on my second child and the simple fact that I was active before my first child birth and all the way through it made all of the difference in the world when it came to delivering her. So stay active and it will help you so much throughout your pregnancy :D . I was afraid to row because it pulls on the tummy a bit but it didn't hurt and it seems like a lot of women do it while pregnant....<br /><br /><br />Best of Luck!!!<br /><br />Kelly<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Hello there-<br /><br />I'm new to the forum and am awaiting my new Concept 2 rower. I used one at the gym when I belonged to one, and after much exhaustive research, I can't imagine owning any other brand.<br /><br />My question is this: how many women out there have rowed while pregnant? I am into my fourth month and am just starting to feel a bit better now that the morning/noon/evening sickness has begun to subside. This is my first baby, and I am a fit 41 year old woman. I'm advanced in studio pilates and have been training for the past several years, 3 days a week in addition to walking, hiking, and an occasional run. I need something to keep me in shape while pregnant (in addition to the prenatal pilates which is quite gentle and anaerobic) and also a workout I can sneak in once the baby comes!<br /><br />Any advice or comments much appreciated.<br /><br />All the best for now,<br />Marie :D<br />[/quote]<br />

[old] jcmatthews

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jcmatthews » March 6th, 2006, 1:45 pm

I didn't start rowing until after my last child, but I did run through 2 pregnancies. I ran 2 miles the morning of the day that my last child was born. The advice from GarolynG is excellent. I just wish that all of my patients were as active as the ladies here. I have trouble just getting them out to walk around the block!