The Duck Pond

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] anneoaks

Women's Forum

Post by [old] anneoaks » January 3rd, 2006, 11:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Newbie Duck here girls. Here's a question for answer please. I am developing some pretty cool calouses from rowing....Do real rowers go barehanded or do they use a glove???? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />When I started out, I was told I had to go bare handed (I am really not sure why) . But, I did and I wore several bandaids. And, when I was learning to row outside, our whole group of rowers had miserable blisters on our hands. But, as time has gone on, I hardly grip the handle and bare hands are not a problem. I had a few callousses after a 1/2 marathon, though. <br /><br />My advice would be to do whatever works now since you are a new rower...just stick with it for a while and then worry about the details. But, probably other people have better advice. <br />Anne

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 4th, 2006, 10:52 am

I have only rowed for a year so I am NOT an expert. BUT here's what has worked for me: I found I was getting blisters because I was gripping the handle too tight. Someone recommended holding it with my hands as if they were hooks. There is no need to GRIP it for dear life. The second cause of my blisters was the sweat from my hands causing my grip to slip. Now I put a pair of toddler socks on the handles to absorb the sweat and I haven't had a blister since.<br /><br />I did try gloves at one point but I got blisters in different places and my hands were hot. <br /><br />HOWEVER, the bottom line is to try things and go what works for you!<br /><br />Happy Rowing!<br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck

[old] ShelleyR

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ShelleyR » January 4th, 2006, 10:38 pm

thanx girls.I think I am prob. holding the handle too tight. I shall try to loosen it off

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » January 6th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Ker-Splash!<br /><br />The Buffle has landed! Thought I should drop by the Pond for a moment. I still haven't been able to sit in here long enough to finish all the posts that you Ducks have made. I'm glad to see all the activity going on. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be participating in any rowing for a little while yet. <br /><br />I have finally graduated to using a cane instead of a walker! Thank goodness! Today was my last in-home physical therapy session, so Monday I have to start the real thing. Oh joy, oh rapture! That should be interesting...<br /><br />They tell me I'm progressing well, and I've been a good little Duck. I'm following all instructions with no back-quacking! <br /><br />Keep up the good work everybody! One of these days I will finish reading all these posts and get caught up with your progress. <br /><br />Ye Olde, Slow Buffle

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 6th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Hey Buffles!<br /><br />Glad to hear you're mending well. We're coming up with a new, synchronized rowing technique in your honor called "The Buffle Shuffle." <br /><br />Naw, keep up the good work. Be glad you did all that rowing the weeks before your surgery--it's making your life easier for you now, believe it or not.<br /><br />Can you drive yet?? Otherwise it's probably hard to make a one-legged landing if you fly in.... Even though Bob's left leg/heel was the one he couldn't use, they still wouldn't let him drive for about 4 months. I drive like a maniac, so we made each other nuts.<br /><br />Keep getting better!<br />--Woolsy in WI

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 16th, 2006, 12:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Jan 6 2006, 04:34 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Jan 6 2006, 04:34 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ker-Splash!<br /><br />The Buffle has landed!  Thought I should drop by the Pond for a moment.  I still haven't been able to sit in here long enough to finish all the posts that you Ducks have made.  I'm glad to see all the activity going on.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be participating in any rowing for a little while yet.  <br /><br />I have finally graduated to using a cane instead of a walker!  Thank goodness!  Today was my last in-home physical therapy session, so Monday I have to start the real thing.  Oh joy, oh rapture!    That should be interesting...<br /><br />They tell me I'm progressing well, and I've been a good little Duck.  I'm following all instructions with no back-quacking!  <br /><br />Keep up the good work everybody!  One of these days I will finish reading all these posts and get caught up with your progress.  <br /><br />Ye Olde, Slow Buffle <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />KEEP UP THE GOOD HEALING, BUFFLE!! Soon enough, your wing-tips will be wrapped around those oars and pulling.<br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » January 17th, 2006, 8:44 am

Hi ya, Ducks!<br /><br />Thanks for all the well wishes! Hmmmmm - the Buffle Shuffle. Kinda has a nice ring to it. <br /><br />I just finished reading the new posts in the Intro thread. You Ducks have been quite busy. I'm glad to see so many new faces in the Pond. Welcome to all of you!<br /><br />Last Saturday I decided to sit down on my C2 to see how far I could slide on the seat. It went so well that I decided to pick up the handle. Low and behold, I rowed 500 meters! I know that sounds like nothing, but it was a huge step for me. I got the OK from my therapist to keep trying it as much as I can tolerate. So - let the Buffle Shuffle begin! <br /><br />Hey Woolsy - they still won't let me drive yet, especially since it's my right knee. I'm gonna try and talk the Doc into letting me drive next week. It's a pain in the tailfeathers when ya live alone!<br /><br />I told myself that I would sit in here until I got caught up with all the threads, but you all have been so busy that I'll have to do this a bit at a time. Keep up all the great progress! Hopefully I'll be up and flying back with ya soon!<br /><br />Buffles

[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » January 17th, 2006, 9:38 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Jan 17 2006, 12:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Jan 17 2006, 12:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi ya, Ducks!<br /><br />Thanks for all the well wishes!  Hmmmmm - the Buffle Shuffle.  Kinda has a nice ring to it.    <br /><br />I just finished reading the new posts in the Intro thread.    You Ducks have been quite busy.  I'm glad to see so many new faces in the Pond.  Welcome to all of you!<br /><br />Last Saturday I decided to sit down on my C2 to see how far I could slide on the seat.  It went so well that I decided to pick up the handle.  Low and behold, I rowed 500 meters!  I know that sounds like nothing, but it was a huge step for me.  I got the OK from my therapist to keep trying it as much as I can tolerate.  So - let the Buffle Shuffle begin! <br /><br />Hey Woolsy - they still won't let me drive yet, especially since it's my right knee.  I'm gonna try and talk the Doc into letting me drive next week.  It's a pain in the tailfeathers when ya live alone!<br /><br />I told myself that I would sit in here until I got caught up with all the threads, but you all have been so busy that I'll have to do this a bit at a time.  Keep up all the great progress!  Hopefully I'll be up and flying back with ya soon!<br /><br />Buffles <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey, it's great you're back! Be careful and patient with yourself. Sounds like you are making great progress!

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » January 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Hello Buffle,<br /><br />I've learned that even slow meters add up. I was interrupted by a phone call the other day, but kept pulling the handle so my PM2 wouldn't time out - easiest 1K I ever rowed. It only took half an hour or so . <br /><br />Hope your healing process is smooth,<br /><br />Emilia

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 18th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Hey Buffles!<br /><br />Glad to hear you're doing better, and you even got a chance to row! Probably a tad scary at first, hey?<br /><br />Keep doing your PT. We bribed Bob's PT people with cookies. Didn't work--they just made him work harder! His PT person was great--didn't let him get away with anything, and he needed that. She was the youngest of 5 kids, and had all brothers, so she had to learn how to hold her own against "da boys." Ya would've thought she'd been rather coddled, but not from the stories she told! <br /><br />Hang in there!<br /><br />Woolsy

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 19th, 2006, 10:39 am

You know what <span style='color:red'>PT</span> stands for don't you?<br /><span style='color:red'>Personalized Torture.</span><br />The good news is that after surgery and after all that torture my feet as as good as if not better than new.<br /><br />Keep up the hard, yucky work. It does pay off!<br /><br />Susan

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » January 20th, 2006, 5:07 am

Hello,<br /><br />One of my goals when I joined DIAR was to reach 2 million meters this season. Well...today I did it! All due to the January challenge. I was worried about setting myself such a tough goal. I reached 1 million mid-2004 (it took quite a while), so that shows you how much I'd been rowing before finding this group.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] mallard

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mallard » January 20th, 2006, 6:31 am

Great work Emilia! The challenge certainly makes the metres fly past. I should hit my first million when I row this evening - only about another 5k to go! Should be able to do it + more as the kids are going to the mother-in-law's tonight so I have peace and quiet for a while.

[old] Citroen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Citroen » January 20th, 2006, 9:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-efg+Jan 20 2006, 09:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(efg @ Jan 20 2006, 09:07 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->One of my goals when I joined DIAR was to reach 2 million meters this season.  Well...today I did it!  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well done. You're about 40K ahead of me for the season.

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 20th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Awesome, Emilia! You really cranked out the meters to get a million in just over half a year. <br /><br />BTW - what is the rowing year? I gather it doesn't match the calendar year.