The Duck Pond

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 23rd, 2005, 4:19 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-edollar+Oct 11 2005, 09:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(edollar @ Oct 11 2005, 09:32 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have looked forward to this day for a long time. I got ONE MILLION METERS today and have 7,645 meters toward my second million. I knew it would feel good but I just didn't realize how good it would feel until I saw the total cumulative meters say 1,000,145 meters after I did a 2500 meter row this afternoon. It just looked terrific. Just wanted to say how much belonging to DIAR means and the honor board where I just keep trying to work up to the next page all the time. Truly appreciate Concept2 for having this wonderful website where we can all inspire each other. Love the competition with Shannon who keeps me rowing. <br /><br />Ellen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Ellen!<br /><br />I hit my million meters today! And you're right, it feels mighty good seeing that grand total. I had to row over 17k today to hit it, but I wanted to get it before I started the Holiday Challenge, just to have a clean slate for the next "goal." And I burned up 900kcal to, ahem, prepare for tomorrow. <br /><br />And I'll join you in thanking C2 and the sister Ducks for helping me right along. Both have been a great, positive influence in keeping me going. And best thing is, I wanna go some more! <br /><br />So Holiday Challenge it is. And a new sweatshirt to go with my million meter t-shirt!<br /><br />Have a great holiday, everyone! Stay safe!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] edollar

Women's Forum

Post by [old] edollar » November 23rd, 2005, 5:03 pm

Welcome Blue Dog Fan. It is so motivating belonging to the DIAR. I could buy the Model D with the confidence that it was not going to gather dust because I log online. <br /><br />Congratulations, Jen in Wisconsin. That million meters looks great doesn't it. I am wearing my Million Meter Club t-shirt today and it feels great. I am already over a third of the way to my second million. Looking forward to the Holiday Challenge. I want a sweatshirt too.<br /><br />My hands have a lot of hot spots from a 10k row and a 60 minute row last week and I'm going to be on the road over 10 hours tomorrow but hopefully will get a short row in before I leave and another when I get back just to get the challenge started.<br /><br />I have a lot of respect for the members who have done over 10 million meters. Many times I've gotten all revved up over some type of exercise just to let my enthusiasm fade. I think it takes a lot to keep rowing million meter after million meter. Hopefully I can be one of those people who can say I've rowed over 10 million meters some day. Maybe by then I will have lost all the weight I need to lose. <br /><br />Ellen

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » November 23rd, 2005, 6:07 pm

<br />I just hit my first million meters today, so I am PUMPED.

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » November 23rd, 2005, 6:08 pm

I was trying to say C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S J E N in the previous post.<br /><br />Tina

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » November 23rd, 2005, 6:09 pm

Rowing's fine, but I can't work this forum!<br /><br />Tina

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 23rd, 2005, 6:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jemima+Nov 23 2005, 06:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jemima @ Nov 23 2005, 06:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Rowing's fine, but I can't work this forum!<br /><br />Tina <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks, Tina! And that's okay, because I need training wheels on my rower sometimes. <br /><br />Have a great holiday!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » November 24th, 2005, 3:07 am

<br />Hi Ellen!<br /><br />I hit my million meters today! And you're right, it feels mighty good seeing that grand total. I had to row over 17k today to hit it, but I wanted to get it before I started the Holiday Challenge, just to have a clean slate for the next "goal." And I burned up 900kcal to, ahem, prepare for tomorrow. <br /><br />And I'll join you in thanking C2 and the sister Ducks for helping me right along. Both have been a great, positive influence in keeping me going. And best thing is, I wanna go some more! <br /><br />So Holiday Challenge it is. And a new sweatshirt to go with my million meter t-shirt!<br /><br />Have a great holiday, everyone! Stay safe!<br /><br />--Jen in WI <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />WooHoo! Congratulations!! <br />-Michelle

[old] blue dog fan

Women's Forum

Post by [old] blue dog fan » November 24th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Congrats everyone on 1 million meters - it seems like a really long way off for me - though I will keep plugging away.<br /><br />I am trying to lose some weight and generally tone up - any suggestions????<br /><br />If there is another forum for newbies please point me in that direction as I am sure everyone new asks the same questions.<br /><br />I have been trying to row 3-5000 every morning and 1-2000 at night. Is this enough??? Where should I have the resistance set??<br /><br />Any help will be gratefully received.<br /><br />Thanks

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » November 24th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Congratulations, Jen! I just checked my history, and if I complete the holiday challenge, I'll be almost halfway to my 2nd million. So, I'm off to row...<br /><br />Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!<br /><br />Emilia

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » November 24th, 2005, 5:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-blue dog fan+Nov 24 2005, 12:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(blue dog fan @ Nov 24 2005, 12:12 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Congrats everyone on 1 million meters - it seems like a really long way off for me - though I will keep plugging away.<br /><br />I am trying to lose some weight and generally tone up - any suggestions????<br /><br />If there is another forum for newbies please point me in that direction as I am sure everyone new asks the same questions.<br /><br />I have been trying to row 3-5000 every morning and 1-2000 at night.  Is this enough???  Where should I have the resistance set??<br /><br />Any help will be gratefully received.<br /><br />Thanks <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome to the Ducks, Blue Dog Fan. <br /><br />This forum is just fine to post any questions.<br /><br />I have only been rowing six months, so I am pretty much a newbie too. There's lots of folks on here who can give you much better advice. But I'd say keep the resistance down really low to start, like 3 or less on the damper. And as for distance, well everyone has different goals and fitness levels. Be careful not to overdo it at first, though.<br /><br />Are you going to try for the Holiday challenge?<br /><br />- Krysta

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » November 24th, 2005, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the congrats, y'all! I'm making a list for Santa so I can get things to accessorize with my new t-shirt. And Emilia, you're on towards the second million, wtg!! I'll have to see if I can catch ya! Yeah, right. <br /><br />And BlueDogFan, you can ask away in this forum about any questions you have. I think some of the Ducks work at C2 (??), so I'd reckon that some of them will jump in with advice. And I agree with Krysta about having the damper set at less than three, and start out slow at first. When you first start using the rower, you'll be using muscles that you forgot you had, so build up to a comfort level. This C2 rower is addicting though, hey?<br /><br />When you're ready to start building up speed and endurance, check out C2's website--lots of info there (also the UK C2 site), and C2 has a free training book they'll send you (and the info is online, too). If you can't find the links on the site, holler, and I'll see if I can find them. I don't know if you'll have to pay shipping or not though. I got mine when I ordered the padded seat cushion (which I highly recommend, btw). C2 also has a free logbook and technique video, so if you don't have those you might get more bang for your shipping buck to get all of them. Gotta love C2 for their customer support practices--they've been great whenever I've emailed them about stuff.<br /><br />How much weight are you aiming to lose? I've lost almost 40, but I've got 50 more to go. I like the book "Make the Connection," by Bob Greene and Oprah Winfrey. I found a copy in a garage sale for 25 cents. His basic instructions are very sound. He offers no gimmicks or fluff stuff. You might see if you can get a copy at a library. I've read some of his other books too, but I liked his first one the best.<br /><br />And just a little tidbit if you didn't know this already--it takes 3,500 calories to gain or lose a pound. Also you shouldn't lose more than one or two pounds a week, otherwise you're probably losing lean mass as well as fat. Don't skip meals because that puts your body into "conserve" mode and slows down your metabolism, and that ya do not want! Greene covers info about weight loss plateaus, because there might be some weeks when you're not doing anything different, but you GAIN weight, then lose four or more pounds the next week, all having to do with water retention and such. Of course, the scale can lie, because you're probably losing fat and inches, but gaining muscle mass which volume-wise weighs more than fat (picture a pound of feathers compared to a pound of lead).<br /><br />That's all I can squeeze outta my brain for awhile! I hope everyone in the U.S. had a great Turkey Day.!<br /><br />--Jen in WI. Probably won't lose any weight this week I'm glad for the Holiday Challenge!

[old] blue dog fan

Women's Forum

Post by [old] blue dog fan » November 25th, 2005, 1:01 pm

<b>Krysta</b> - I tend to rush in to things and want to be brilliant immediately. So will try to 'pace' myself. Will definitely try to do the holiday challenge. Have damper at 2 as that is about all I can manage - for now.<br /><br /><b>Woolsmith</b> - Excellent advice here - have surfed a bit on c2 website and downloaded some training info and weight loss guide. I didn't realise just how good the c2 site is - loads of really useful stuff - will try to surf some over the weekend and catch up on some reading. Congrats on your continuing weight loss - ideally I would like to shift about 40lbs but am realistic - afterall it took quite a few years and lots of money to put it here!!!<br /><br />Bye for now

[old] Dinaflo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dinaflo » December 1st, 2005, 10:52 am

Not sure if I'm posting the right way, but reading abour your achievements is so encouraging to me. Yesterday in the mail I received the fall issue of the Update and I am going to try to work toward at least the 100,000 meter holiday Challenge to get me rowing on a daily basis. As of today I'm on my way 2.518 meters <br />but I'm really going to try to do this. Have a good day everyone.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 1st, 2005, 9:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dinaflo+Dec 1 2005, 10:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Dinaflo @ Dec 1 2005, 10:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Not sure if I'm posting the right way, but reading abour your achievements is so encouraging to me.  Yesterday in the mail I received the fall issue of the Update and I am going to try to work toward at least the 100,000 meter holiday Challenge to get me rowing on a daily basis.    As of today I'm on my way 2.518 meters    <br />but I'm really going to try to do this.  Have a good day everyone. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey there, Dinaflo!<br /><br />You got out there and rowed, so just to row daily is a great goal, imho. Sometimes I have try to row twice in one day because for whatever reason, I just don't "have it" in a morning row. Sometimes I don't have it for an evening row, either. <br /><br />I'm trying to do the 200,000 meter HC because I'm drooling over the sweatshirt that C2 is offering for sale for that level. And I actually have some time off from work so that I'll have the time to put into the extra meters, otherwise I think it would be a real struggle for me to hit the 200k. I'm in awe of women with children and busy families who are going for this!<br /><br />Hang in there, Dinaflo, you can do it! Little clumps of meters here and there will add up fast. <br /><br />Happy Holiday Challenge!<br />--Jen in WI<br /><br />

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » December 6th, 2005, 11:57 am

I just passed 100,000 in the holiday challenge and am wondering if anyone else is half way there too?<br /><br />Tina