Brand New To The Forum

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] ghia

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ghia » December 21st, 2005, 11:57 am

Hi - just registered for the forums and wanted to introduce myself.<br />I am 41 years old and have been rowing for 2 1/2 years. I generally row 6K about 5 times a week. I live in St. Louis, MO with my husband - no children. I am an artist (glass and silver) and work part time in an art studio where I teach classes. I have seen my fitness level improve over the last 2 1/2 years of using the rower, but am truly impressed by the numbers I'm seeing from many of you out there. How do you do it?! <br />ghia

[old] Leena

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Leena » December 21st, 2005, 5:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cuserower02+Dec 20 2005, 09:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cuserower02 @ Dec 20 2005, 09:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sorry this took me so long to respond! Yes, I did go to Syracuse! When did you go?? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />94-98. You?

[old] crewgirl96

Women's Forum

Post by [old] crewgirl96 » December 26th, 2005, 12:00 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself in my first ever post on here. My name is Lisa and I've been rowing for nine years. I'm 27 years old and an accountant. I recently moved from the East Coast to Kentucky where I've found no rowing at all in my area. I've been very depressed since June of this year since that's when I left my team . <br />My husband (whom I just married in April) had apparently noticed how much I was missing rowing, since running is not great for my knees, but my only alternative. So guess what I found under the Christmas tree this morning?? My new Concept 2 model D erg! <br />I can't wait to join rows online and get that team feel again. I know it's not rowing in a boat, but it's still rowing! <br />Happy Holidays everyone!<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 26th, 2005, 12:27 am

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself in my first ever post on here. My name is Lisa and I've been rowing for nine years. I'm 27 years old and an accountant. I recently moved from the East Coast to Kentucky where I've found no rowing at all in my area. I've been very depressed since June of this year since that's when I left my team . <br />My husband (whom I just married in April) had apparently noticed how much I was missing rowing, since running is not great for my knees, but my only alternative. So guess what I found under the Christmas tree this morning?? My new Concept 2 model D erg! <br />I can't wait to join rows online and get that team feel again. I know it's not rowing in a boat, but it's still rowing! <br />Happy Holidays everyone! <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey Lisa!<br /><br />Welcome to the Women's Forum, and congrats on your new toy! Lots of good info about erging on the C2 website and the C2 UK site. Erging isn't rowing on water, but it's addicting in its own right. I love the endorphin rush and seeing those meters pile up. I've never rowed on water, but it's become a goal of mine.... <br /><br />If you'd like to join a virtual rowing team, the Ducks in a Row would certainly welcome you! But look around on the team board--you might feel a kinship with an alma mater on there. The virtual team's are mostly non-competitive, except with yourself. Any meters you row simply get added to the entire team total. The instructions for joining are permanently posted at the top of the Women's Forum page.<br /><br />And if you'd like to get that new C2 beastie broken in right, you could also join in on the January Virtual Team Rowing Challenge. This challenge is more of a competition--the team who rows the most meters wins. A group of Ducks (and adopted Ducks) have formed a team for that called "Fowl Play." Many of us are doing this in addition to a weight loss challenge, and the two just seemed to go together. <br /><br />To get you such a nice toy, your "Santa" sounds like a keeper. Merry Christmas to you too, and again, welcome! Give a holler if ya have any questions.<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] voodoogirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] voodoogirl » December 28th, 2005, 10:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi--talk about new, this morning was my first time on a C2, and my first time on a rowing machine! What a great christmas present--I'm no good at getting to the gym regularly and wanted a total body workout I could do in my house. I'm a freelance writer and work at home, and I'm really excited about rowing--what a great break from sitting hunched in front of a computer. Besides rowing I do pilates, lift weights, and take long (long) walks with my dog--I'm not in bad shape (44, 5'6", 130 lbs) but could be in a lot better shape than I am. <br /><br />At the moment I'm just worried about getting the technique correct...and staying motivated, although this site seems to be the antidote to any lack of motivation <br /><br />Happy New Year to everyone!<br /><br />Laurie<br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 29th, 2005, 8:34 pm

<br />Hi--talk about new, this morning was my first time on a C2, and my first time on a rowing machine! What a great christmas present--I'm no good at getting to the gym regularly and wanted a total body workout I could do in my house. I'm a freelance writer and work at home, and I'm really excited about rowing--what a great break from sitting hunched in front of a computer. Besides rowing I do pilates, lift weights, and take long (long) walks with my dog--I'm not in bad shape (44, 5'6", 130 lbs) but could be in a lot better shape than I am. <br /><br />At the moment I'm just worried about getting the technique correct...and staying motivated, although this site seems to be the antidote to any lack of motivation <br /><br />Happy New Year to everyone!<br /><br />Laurie <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey Laurie!<br /><br />Yup, the C2 erg is addicting! Lots of good info on these forums, so if you have any questions, just ask away. And like I mentioned earlier in this thread, feel free to join a virtual team (Ducks in a Row would love to have ya!), or join one of the challenges coming up. C2 has the January Virtual Team Challenge starting up on Jan 1st. <br /><br />If you haven't set up an online personal logbook, it's pretty easy. It's a great way to keep track of the meters you row, and it will automatically add up the meters for any challenges you want to enter. <br /><br />If you can find a post by Xeno Muller, he has a link in his signature that shows a video clip of him rowing with proper technique. You can click it frame by frame. C2 also has a free technique video if you don't already have it. I row while watching a DVD or TV, and I always have to check in on my technique. I tend to get sloppy, especially when I'm getting fatigued toward the end of my workout. <br /><br />What kind of writing do you do??<br /><br />Welcome to the C2 world, Laurie!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] voodoogirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] voodoogirl » December 29th, 2005, 10:15 pm

[quote=woolsmith,Dec 29 2005, 07:34 PM]<br />Hi--talk about new, this morning was my first time on a C2, and my first time on a rowing machine! What a great christmas present--I'm no good at getting to the gym regularly and wanted a total body workout I could do in my house. I'm a freelance writer and work at home, and I'm really excited about rowing--what a great break from sitting hunched in front of a computer. Besides rowing I do pilates, lift weights, and take long (long) walks with my dog--I'm not in bad shape (44, 5'6", 130 lbs) but could be in a lot better shape than I am. <br /><br />At the moment I'm just worried about getting the technique correct...and staying motivated, although this site seems to be the antidote to any lack of motivation <br /><br />Happy New Year to everyone!<br /><br />Laurie <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey Laurie!<br /><br />Yup, the C2 erg is addicting! Lots of good info on these forums, so if you have any questions, just ask away. And like I mentioned earlier in this thread, feel free to join a virtual team (Ducks in a Row would love to have ya!), or join one of the challenges coming up. C2 has the January Virtual Team Challenge starting up on Jan 1st. <br /><br />If you haven't set up an online personal logbook, it's pretty easy. It's a great way to keep track of the meters you row, and it will automatically add up the meters for any challenges you want to enter. <br /><br />If you can find a post by Xeno Muller, he has a link in his signature that shows a video clip of him rowing with proper technique. You can click it frame by frame. C2 also has a free technique video if you don't already have it. I row while watching a DVD or TV, and I always have to check in on my technique. I tend to get sloppy, especially when I'm getting fatigued toward the end of my workout. <br /><br />What kind of writing do you do??<br /><br />Welcome to the C2 world, Laurie!<br /><br />--Jen in WI <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Thanks for the welcome, Jen--I've got my logbook set up and will look for a post from Xeno. I've also got the C2 DVD, which helps a lot. You asked about my writing--I do mainly corporate communications and marketing pieces, things like corporate newsletters and website articles. I've been working freelance that way for about five years now (www.voodoocommunications.com). That keeps food on the table. In my spare time I write essays, mainly nature writing, and I'm just starting to work on an idea for a novel. Rowing, and long walks in the woods with my dog, it turns out, are great ways to work out characters and plot. Makes the time really fly...<br /><br />I'll also look into an online team so my still-meager meters will do some good! It's great to be here.<br /><br />Laurie<br />Mt. Rainier, Md

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 2nd, 2006, 9:53 pm

Hi All! I'm new to this board, so I'll start with an introduction. My father surprised us with a C2 for Christmas, so here I am.<br /><br />My rowing background - I rowed intramural crew for the last 3 yrs of college. Very low key, but lots of fun. After that I did the occasional erging at the health club while I was a member (so a few erg pieces spread over 4 1/2 yrs). Nothing from then until 12/26/05 when I finally got on our new rower. (It arrived about 10 days before Christmas.) So far I've managed to work out 4 times, doing about 5500m in half an hr.<br /><br />Other stuff about me - I'm a SAHM of 3 boys - Jonathan (9), Benjamin (7), and Nicholas (5). They have all tried out the erg, too. In fact, Nicholas rowed 1888m today! My DH is Jeff. He actually rowed competitively his final year in college, so he was delighted by the new erg. He's been using it to supplement his biking. Maybe we'll get him on the boards, too, but probably not in the Women's Forum. LOL. (If Jeff_FLG shows up, that will be him.)<br /><br />I'd like to join the January virtual team challenge, so that I keep up with the good start that I've gotten. Might even have to become a Duck. Looking forward to getting to know you folks.<br /><br />Schenley<br />(age = 41, wt = HWT, but hoping to get back to LWT w/my new rower.)

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 2nd, 2006, 10:37 pm

Welcome Schenley,<br /><br />Definately join Fowl Play for the Jan Challenge. AND sign your hubby up too! (There are men on the Fowl play team). We need every meter we can get. We are clearly in second place but I know we can move up!<br /><br />I have really enjoyed rowing and the challenges keep me going. Wecome to the forum. <br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 2nd, 2006, 10:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-MomofJBN+Jan 2 2006, 09:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(MomofJBN @ Jan 2 2006, 09:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All!  I'm new to this board, so I'll start with an introduction.  My father surprised us with a C2 for Christmas, so here I am.<br /><br />My rowing background - I rowed intramural crew for the last 3 yrs of college.  Very low key, but lots of fun.  After that I did the occasional erging at the health club while I was a member (so a few erg pieces spread over 4 1/2 yrs).  Nothing from then until 12/26/05 when I finally got on our new rower.  (It arrived about 10 days before Christmas.)  So far I've managed to work out 4 times, doing about 5500m in half an hr.<br /><br />Other stuff about me - I'm a SAHM of 3 boys - Jonathan (9), Benjamin (7), and Nicholas (5).  They have all tried out the erg, too.  In fact, Nicholas rowed 1888m today!  My DH is Jeff.  He actually rowed competitively his final year in college, so he was delighted by the new erg.  He's been using it to supplement his biking.  Maybe we'll get him on the boards, too, but probably not in the Women's Forum.  LOL.  (If Jeff_FLG shows up, that will be him.)<br /><br />I'd like to join the January virtual team challenge, so that I keep up with the good start that I've gotten.  Might even have to become a Duck.    Looking forward to getting to know you folks.<br /><br />Schenley<br />(age = 41, wt = HWT, but hoping to get back to LWT w/my new rower.) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome to the C2 Forums, Schenley and family! <br /><br />You're certainly welcome to become a Duck if ya want! The main teams are noncompetitive (but there's always a few ). Folks just row as much as they want, and their meters go towards the team total. Check out the online logbook if you haven't done so already--it's a great way to keep track of your meters, and anything you enter gets automatically entered in the team totals or one of the challenges if you enter that. To join Ducks in a Row, just follow the instructions given in one of the permanent posts located at the top of the Women's Forum page. <br /><br />If you want to join the JVTC, look around for a post by our JVTC fearless team captain, Emilia Gan (her handle is "efg"). You can send her a "PM" or a personal message by clicking on the PM in the bottom right corner of the box containing her post, or you can make a post on the Fowl Play thread under the JVTC topic on the main board. If you can't get her, reply to me here, and I'll run her down for ya!<br /><br />BTW, the JVTC team, Fowl Play, isn't just for Ducks! Your whole family can join if they'd like, and we'd love to have y'all! This is the first JVTC C2 has had, and it seems to have really taken off right outta the chutes. Lots of excitement! <br /><br />With your new erg, you'll be setting a good, healthy example for those boys of yours! Might even help 'em run off some extra energy, hey? <br /><br />Happy rowing!<br />--Jen in WI

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 3rd, 2006, 12:42 am

Thanks for the welcome! Jeff has agreed to become a Fowl, so I'll PM Emilia again. I do have a logbook set up, so I think that part is all set. I don't know if the boys will be interested. Their "thing" is gymnastics, so they are all STRONG. No couch potatoes there. In fact, I'm the only one in the family likely to fall into that category. <br /><br />Schenley

[old] TeddiH

Women's Forum

Post by [old] TeddiH » January 22nd, 2006, 11:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 09:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 09:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hello all! <br />I just got my new model D on Friday and did my first row today-all of 768meters in 5 minutes!!! I'm breaking in slowly as I'm 5'8, 215lbs and have arthritis in hips and wrist and shoulders and started the C2 as it seems to be gentle on the old fat bod. My main aim is better cardovascular health and weight loss as secondary gain, though I'm not too concerned about that. I lost 35 lbs 3 yrs ago but am plateaued. I'll post any progress.<br />Ted

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » January 23rd, 2006, 12:13 am

Hello Ted,<br /><br />Welcome to the forums. The great thing about the rower for me is that I can do it at whatever level suits me at a given time. When I need to exercise to relieve tension and back pain, I can do a gentle workout. When I feel more energetic, well, it's great for that too. I think you are wise to start cautiously, but I bet you'll be amazed at what you can do before too long.<br /><br />Emilia

[old] lightfoot

Women's Forum

Post by [old] lightfoot » February 3rd, 2006, 3:55 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 12:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 12:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Linda -<br /><br />Just thought I'd join in on the conversations. I'm a newbie. Just started rowing mid January at my works gym. Still trying to figure out what all the numbers on the Concept 2 mean. <br /><br />I've been logging my times, but not sure whether I'm doing okay or what. The damper setting is confusing me...should I keep it at 10 or 5 or ?.<br /><br />My workout is usually 30 mins long. I'm in the heavyweight category, I'm 5'4". <br /><br />My most recent row (today) was 5759m, 91.7 watts, 236.3/500, damper setting 10, ~26 spm.<br /><br />I don't know which statistic to concentrate more watts? distance? or spm? My goal is to lose weight, so I try to row 3 times a week. <br /><br />I like to have some goal set, so it makes me concentrate and then the time seems to pass by quickly.<br /><br />Looking forward to getting a response.<br /><br />

[old] kinley

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kinley » February 3rd, 2006, 5:50 pm

<br />Hi Lightfoot:<br /><br />I too am a 5'4" heavyweight, and I row with damper on a 1 or 2 (drag of about 100). To create resistance, you have to JUMP off the foot stretcher and pull! Don't get lazy and expect the machine to just give you resistance for nothing at all.<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> My most recent row (today) was 5759m, 91.7 watts, 236.3/500, damper setting 10, ~26 spm.<br /><br />I don't know which statistic to concentrate more watts? distance? or spm? </td></tr></table><br /><br />You'd get a much more analytical & statistical response over on the training forum, but it seems to me you should work on efficiency. You've got the damper jacked up as high as it will go, you're pulling 26spm, yet only generating 91 watts. Can you produce that energy with a lower drag factor? With fewer strokes? Practice accelerating the flywheel at the catch, then letting the fan work for you during a slow, relaxed recovery. Once you have learned to row efficiently, you should see correlation between rate (spm) & pace. <br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->  Still trying to figure out what all the numbers on the Concept 2 mean. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Here's the link to information about monitors. <br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... upport.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/servic ... asp</a><br /><br />Good Luck >>>------> Kinley<br /><br />