Brand New To The Forum

read only section for reference and search purposes.
LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 25th, 2005, 12:09 pm

Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge! We're nice. And we want to hear from you. Tell us what you are thinking. Ask your questions. Share your successes. Tell us about those stumbles too. What hurts? What feels great? What do you want to get from rowing? Why does rowing work for you? And that's just for starters.

[old] grace21may

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grace21may » August 22nd, 2005, 10:18 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 11:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hello! I am new to rowing. I recently got a Concept 2 rower as a means of cross-training with my running. So far I am able to row for 30 minutes without stopping...but I must say I am surprised at how weak my upper body is. I have to really, really pull to get the numbers somewhere around 2:50 and I am not able to maintain that for very long. I just joined Ducks in a Row as a way to motivate myself to not give up. I have two kids; my daughter is 12 and my son is 11. My husband is trying to lose weight and is thinking about trying out the rower as well. He's been walking outside for exercise but thinks the rower might provide him a little more of a challenge.<br /><br />Besides signing up for Ducks in a Row, do I need to do anything when I log in my rowing times or do the numbers automatically go to the Ducks in a Row team?

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » August 22nd, 2005, 3:29 pm

Just sign up for Ducks in a Row. Your meters will accrue to the team. <br /><br />As for the upper body thing - remember that rowing engages all your major muscle groups. Your leg muscles are larger than your back and arm muscles and more important to powering the rowing stroke. Think about pushing with your legs more than pulling with your arms. Along the way, your upper body strentgh will improve too!

[old] Annabassand

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Annabassand » August 23rd, 2005, 2:56 pm

Hi there. <br /><br />I am a newbie here too. We just bought a C2 about 7 days ago and are very happy with it. I plan to crosstrain with biking, running and rollerblading. So far my times are crap, but I am sure that will improve with time. <br /><br />Unfortunately it seems that I may be coming down with a cold or something, so I haven't been on the rower today. I really hope I can get back on it tomorrow. <br /><br />/Anna

[old] AbbyK

Women's Forum

Post by [old] AbbyK » August 25th, 2005, 11:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Feb 25 2005, 08:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Feb 25 2005, 08:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi All you newbies and lurker potential newbies - C'mon, take the plunge!  We're nice.  And we want to hear from you.  Tell us what you are thinking.  Ask your questions.  Share your successes.  Tell us about those stumbles too.  What hurts?  What feels great?  What do you want to get from rowing?  Why does rowing work for you?  And that's just for starters. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi All,<br />I'm new here, and new to rowing for exercise.<br />Trying to get more exercise, mostly for fun, but also to get into better shape.<br />I have a busy job&family life--I just started consistent exercise in March after a ~7 year hiatus.<br />My son is 6--any correlation? ;-) <br />I've been going to the gym to do weights, aerobics, etc.<br />I need variety to stay interested.<br /><br />Here's my question--I'm short: 62 inches. Should I aim for higher than average strokes/minute?<br />Or should I stick to 20-25, which doesn't get me very far, very fast?<br /><br />Looking forward to more rows--<br />Abby

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » August 25th, 2005, 2:50 pm

I'm shorter than you - 61.5". Do NOT try to compensate for your height with an increased stroke rate. You'll just tire yourself out. Your form will be compromised and neither fitness nor performance will be enhanced. Work on pushing harder with your legs, and getting the most power out of every stroke. I usually row at 26 - 28 spm (just a little higher than the rates you mention). Remember that your drive should be faster than the recovery portion of the stroke. Depending on your age and strength you can expect to see paces between 2:10 - 2:45 once you learn the rowing stroke and develop some cardio fitness. I am 50 and usually row an hour at about 2:33 - which brings on full sweat, but no huffing and puffing. The meters add up. Good luck!

[old] Citroen

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Citroen » August 25th, 2005, 3:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-AbbyK+Aug 25 2005, 04:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(AbbyK @ Aug 25 2005, 04:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Here's my question--I'm short:  62 inches.  Should I aim for higher than average strokes/minute?<br />Or should I stick to 20-25, which doesn't get me very far, very fast? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Stick to slow strokes per min. Pull harder.<br /><br />When I started rowing I was pulling 32SPM and above. I've spent the last few months working on rowing at 20SPM. Now I've got that, I'm, now, working on pulling harder to pull better split times at 20SPM.<br /><br />You may want to change (play with) the drag factor until you find a stroke rate you're comfortable at.<br />

[old] anneoaks

Women's Forum

Post by [old] anneoaks » August 30th, 2005, 9:26 pm

I guess I am a newbie in posting something, but I have really enjoyed reading other people's posts and sharing in the successes of the other rowers. Finally, I decided to join in the conversation! As far as upping the stroke rate (Abby's question) I learned to use the erg from a top flight rower and he emphasized keeping the stroke rate low (around 20) but learning how to pull hard---get stronger versus faster. <br /><br />Tonight is the eve of reaching 1 million meters on the erg--I have only 7k to do tomorrow. <br /><br />I began this crazy sport last year and have really benefitted from it...certainly I've gotten much stronger and fitter; but like the challenge of it. Can't figure out if I want to do it to train for events or as an exercise.

[old] AbbyK

Women's Forum

Post by [old] AbbyK » August 31st, 2005, 12:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-anneoaks+Aug 30 2005, 05:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Aug 30 2005, 05:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I guess I am a newbie in posting something, but I have really enjoyed reading other people's posts and sharing in the successes of the other rowers. Finally, I decided to join in the conversation! As far as upping the stroke rate (Abby's question) I learned to use the erg from a top flight rower and he emphasized keeping the stroke rate low (around 20) but learning how to pull hard---get stronger versus faster. <br /><br />Tonight is the eve of reaching 1 million meters on the erg--I have only 7k to do tomorrow. <br /><br />I began this crazy sport last year and have really benefitted from it...certainly I've gotten much stronger and fitter; but like the challenge of it.  Can't figure out if I want to do it to train for events or as an exercise. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congrats on 10e6 meters! That's great. I hope to do that sometime in 2006.<br />Yes--it was good advice to "pull harder" I've been practicing now at 20-22 cadence.<br />I'm finding it very satisfying to be a beginner--improvements are rapid.<br />I did a 1hr row on Monday, and ended up with my best overall pace (~2:40).<br />I also ended up with blisters <br />Thanks for the good cheer, everyone.<br />Abby

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » September 1st, 2005, 12:03 am

I joined the ducks last May and have been chatting mostly on the women's forum. I've been C2 rowing intermittently since 1989, and more consistently in the last year or so. I had a lenthgy intro in the duck profiles but not here; still finding my way around. I love the non-competitive encouragement here. Also, after a full day at home with kids, it's an outlet. <br /><br />My C2 has been great because I can use it at home. I'm a stay-at-home mom with young kids. Rowing has been my most consistent exercise option I've had in the last 4 years. I used to bicycle, swim and hike, but that was pre-kids. I love brisk walks but many days that's not an option 'cause my husband is too busy with work or we need family time together. My husband already had a C2 (nearly 20 years old now) so it was set to go. With my C2 I don't have to waste time driving and add smog to the air driving to a gym. I occasionally alternate with yoga, Pilates and strength training, but those don't provide as good aerobic conditioning and endurance. <br /><br />Meeting my mileage goals helps keep me on track. I got disgusted losing speed every time I let my C2 workouts slide, and that motivated me to row more consistently, plus setting mileage goals. I like it that even when I miss workouts, I can catch up on miles with long workouts and still get a sense of accomplishment.<br /><br />Margaret<br />5'3", 44yo, 140#. 30 min PB: 6681m. Total 2.2 million meters and going.

[old] jacqwin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jacqwin » September 10th, 2005, 3:48 pm

Hi there<br /><br />I do not have a concept rower (not for the lack of trying) but because my room is not big enough to accommodate one, I do however have an Air Magnetic Rower. <br /><br />I have been reading the posts on this forum and have got some very interesting tips from all you fit people here.<br /><br />I am 52 and have only been rowing for a short while. My best time so far is 40.10 for 10K. I am aiming to row a minimum of 50K per week. Can I ask what would be a good target time to aim for for the 10K distance?<br /><br />jacqui in UK

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » September 10th, 2005, 5:24 pm

Jacqui:<br /><br />Welcome! I don't know how your air dyne compares to a C2, but your time is way faster than mine. I recommend looking at the rankings on the C2 website. You can specify your distance and age bracket, compare yourself to others, and aim to work your way up the ranks. Happy rowing.<br /><br />Margaret

[old] jacqwin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jacqwin » September 12th, 2005, 3:29 pm

Margaret<br /><br />Thank you for your reply. I have now managed 38.39 for 10K so I think that I can go a little faster. I have only been rowing since May. My time puts me at 1 of 23 I am aiming for the million metre and have challenged my daughter just to get her exercising again.<br /><br />I am still trying to work out if I could get a C2 in any of my rooms.<br /><br />jacqui

[old] Galt

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Galt » September 29th, 2005, 10:13 am

Abby, try to not grip the handle too tightly. Try to think of your hands as hooks just hanging on to the handle. Hold on just tightly enough to feel that you have control.<br /><br />One thing we all do is tense up when we are exerting ourselves. Try to relax those hands as best you can.

[old] Diane Edinger

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Diane Edinger » October 29th, 2005, 10:33 pm

I have had my Concept2 for a little over a week now. I used to go climbing regularly, but the last 4 years have been consumed with late hours at work, and continuing my education....there was no time or mental energy left to even consider working out.<br /><br />Work has eased to a normal schedule lately; I am still in school. Although I haven't really gained weight (stress seems to burn calories too...), I do find myself craving a sport. <br /><br />I absolutely love my new rowing machine!! I immediately felt those climbing muscles responding...that same pleasant tightness in the morning. I am being restrained, starting with 10:00 workouts. My latest distance was 1827 meters. <br /><br />After reading the postings, I decided to shift to 2000 meter workouts next. Well ok, that wasn't my first response....my first response was: ooof! Look at those times! ...I have my work cut out for me! <br /><br />Looking forward to feeling strong again!! -Diane