What OTW Training have you done today

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Re: What OTW Training have you done today

Post by Rockin Roland » September 23rd, 2011, 12:22 am

Rocket Roy wrote:
I now have a rowperfect, 2nd hand but I'm upgrading the black box so it will be an old machine with the latest technology on it. The old black box had a phone jack on it and a 8 point plug on the other end.

The thing I notice is after 20 mins on the rowperfect, getting onto my C2 feels like a Rolls Royce. Because the RP is wobbly with the seat and the chain feels lumpy. But I do like the RP.
The old superseeded Rowperfect model that you have is a bit of a relic but nevertheless will still enable you to work on technique, more so than anything that C2 has out there. However, if you get a chance, try the new Rowperfect "indoor sculler" erg. It's so smooth, quite and easier on the body. After years of thrashing around on C2s I've totally re-trained my motor nuerons/muscles by using the Rowperfect "indoor sculler". So much that my on water technique has improved imensely. The Rowperfect erg has finally eliminated all those bad technique habits that I picked up from using C2s. I can't believe how much it has improved my rowing on the water.

Roy, the bottom line is. If you want to improve your rowing on the water, stay off the C2s and spend the winter racking up heaps of meters on the Rowperfect(even on the old clunker that you have there). Plus with some added coaching I garuantee you'll notice a difference back in the boat.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » September 23rd, 2011, 4:08 am

Are there only 2 RP version's?

The new one is £2050.00, my 2nd hand one is £500.00 so no question of getting a new one really, I have to pay a bit...£150 to get the updated box and software so that stands me at £650.

I haven't really been able to use it yet due to muscle problems, but already I can see how it would be better for the OTW stroke. And now all that matters is OTW. I may race as a hwt at the British erg comp just for the social side of thing's but all is now aimed at the Water.

I got my ticket from my club Vesta to allow me to go out anytime I want on my own on the Thames now, passing a written test last night! The ironic thing is now I can, I can't for a while at least until the back heal's up.
Lwt 55+ World Record Holder 6.38.1 (2006-2018)
World champion 2007, 2009, 2014.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03
Golf best gross 78, 8 over par.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » September 23rd, 2011, 2:01 pm

Rocket Roy wrote:I may race as a hwt at the British erg comp just for the social side of thing's but all is now aimed at the Water.
Roy,

Are you referring to the BIRC? Has anything new developed on whether or not there will be one this season? I still have a hankering to give it another try sometime, but my time is running out. I did manage to pass my driving test a couple of weeks ago, so I have a new lease on life - well for two more years anyway. The significance of this is that I can still get to an airport.

Bob S.

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » September 23rd, 2011, 3:46 pm

Bob S. wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:I may race as a hwt at the British erg comp just for the social side of thing's but all is now aimed at the Water.
Roy,

Are you referring to the BIRC? Has anything new developed on whether or not there will be one this season? I still have a hankering to give it another try sometime, but my time is running out. I did manage to pass my driving test a couple of weeks ago, so I have a new lease on life - well for two more years anyway. The significance of this is that I can still get to an airport.

Bob S.
Bob, you should live over here, you never need to take another test once you get your licence here.

BIRC is on March 25th (I think) 2012 in Nottingham.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » September 23rd, 2011, 4:24 pm

Rocket Roy wrote:
Bob, you should live over here, you never need to take another test once you get your licence here.

Thanks on the BIRC info. I guess that I should have checked their website first but I was lazy - it was easier to just post here.

Re driver's licenses: Yes, I had heard that about the UK licenses. Here it depends on which state you live in. In California, we currently have to renew every 5 years. I got my first one in 1941, a few weeks before my 17th birthday. After that, I just had to take the written and vision tests for each renewal period. Since I am near-sighted I have always had a corrective lens requirement. But 3-4 years ago, I developed macular degeneration in my right eye, so this time around I failed the vision test, which requires that both eyes have a certain level of acuity. I was able to get an OK from my ophthalmologist, but the fact that I failed the initial test meant that I had to take the on-the-road test. Fortunately I passed that, although I had about 14 warning checks out of an allowed 20. Not too great, but it gives me a provisional 2 years. After that I may be ready to give it up entirely - which won't easy in this sparsely settled desert area of eastern California.

Bob S.

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » September 23rd, 2011, 5:53 pm

Bob S. wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:

Thanks on the BIRC info. I guess that I should have checked their website first but I was lazy - it was easier to just post here.

Re driver's licenses: Yes, I had heard that about the UK licenses. Here it depends on which state you live in. In California, we currently have to renew every 5 years. I got my first one in 1941, a few weeks before my 17th birthday. After that, I just had to take the written and vision tests for each renewal period. Since I am near-sighted I have always had a corrective lens requirement. But 3-4 years ago, I developed macular degeneration in my right eye, so this time around I failed the vision test, which requires that both eyes have a certain level of acuity. I was able to get an OK from my ophthalmologist, but the fact that I failed the initial test meant that I had to take the on-the-road test. Fortunately I passed that, although I had about 14 warning checks out of an allowed 20. Not too great, but it gives me a provisional 2 years. After that I may be ready to give it up entirely - which won't easy in this sparsely settled desert area of eastern California.

Bob S.
Sounds tough Bob.

You'll have to scull everywhere! If only that were possible eh?
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » September 24th, 2011, 3:49 am

Rocket Roy wrote:Are there only 2 RP version's?

The new one is £2050.00, my 2nd hand one is £500.00 so no question of getting a new one really, I have to pay a bit...£150 to get the updated box and software so that stands me at £650.
Roy,
There are 3 different Rowperfect ergs.
1) The original model, which went out of production several years ago, is now only available 2nd hand. This is the model that you have and doesn't come with a monitor in standard spec but can be bought later as an accessory together with two different types of computer software. The software is very technical and aimed more at elite rowers for analysing stroke data. However, as you've discovered these ergs can be picked up fairly cheaply 2nd hand and still do a great job of training to row on the water.

2) RP3 (Dutch version) which currently is available in Europe & USA has been around for less than two years and is an improved model over the original Rowperfect. Like with the superseeded model you still have to purchase the monitor and software as accessories.

http://www.rowperfect3.com

3) "Indoor Sculler" (Australian version) is currently available in Australia, Sth Africa & North America. This is the most refined out of all the models and has loads of extra features over the other two models. Monitor comes as standard and pace boat/session recording software is just about to be released. It is also much smoother and quieter than the others plus has the best cosmetics.

http://www.rowperfect.com.au

Roy, do you plan to scull on the water all through winter, that's if it's possible to do so?
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » September 24th, 2011, 4:37 am

Roland, yes I plan to be out every other day through the winter on the Thames whenever it is possible.

I have the model that Peter Haining is pictured on in one of those links. So if it was good enough for him....

My Pogies have arrived today, so I'm all set now for the bad weather.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » September 24th, 2011, 7:17 am

Now that our new rowing season has commenced, this morning I had the luxury of having two rows.
At first light I went out in my scull for about one hours worth of steady state firm pressure rowing. There was a stiff breeze blowing directly downstream making for a quick higher paced rating contrasting to the return trip with your back up agaimst the wind. I was very pleased with my row in both directions.

Upon returning to the clubhouse I had about one hour's break which was spent re-hydrating the body. Then I had my first sweep row for the season rowing in 5 seat in the eight. We warmed up in 4s then 6s before rowing as a complete eight. Given that most of the guys hadn't rowed since June we were expecting some balance & timing issues. However that was short lived and before long we had the boat up and running really well. Make that, surprisingly well. Having an ex World Championship bronze medalist in 7 seat may have helped but generally everyone seemed to have kept their technical form over the winter months which contributed to us having a very nice row.

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » September 24th, 2011, 8:08 am

Roland, where are you? Aus or kiwi would be my guess.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03

gregsmith01748
10k Poster

Post by gregsmith01748 » September 24th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Awesome day on the lake! Cloudy and humid, but a nice temp and no rain. And nice flat water.

I was in a single (my fourth outing in the single) and I was rowing with a mixed quad (2 guys, 2 gals). We did about 12K over 1:20. The best part was my new toy! I bought the speed coach app on the iphone. I've never used a proper speed coach so I don't know what I'm missing, but this I thought it was awesome. The app uses the GPS for distance and velocity and the iphone accelerometers to measure stroke rate, stern check and boat bounce. The display is clear and easy to read, and it is very easy to export data.

I exported the GPX data for the route...

I exported stroke by stroke CSV data to excel to give me stroke rate and pace plots, here is my best 500m section. It wasn't an interval, just the highest stroke rate and pressure segment of the workout.

I'm very excited. Now I can finally get some feedback. It was much easier to control my stroke rate and I could really see how improving my reach impacted boat speed (at least when I didn't mess up the catch!)

The only down side of the app that I can see is there is about a 5 to 10 second (2 or 3 stroke) lag between when you change something and the pace responds. So, I would go to full pressure and then see the speed increase a few strokes later. I don't think it's a big deal, but I bet a real speed coach would be more responsive.

Oh, and one more thing, you can get it to log heart rate if you get an ANT+ monitor and an ANT+ dongle for the iPhone.

Edit: I almost forgot. One question. To benchmark my performance, what kind of pace difference should I expect to see between the erg and rowing a single. Today is looked like I was about 25 to 30 seconds slower per 500. I think I've seen numbers closer to 15 seconds as being "good". I am thinking that this means that I have a lot to learn about OTW rowing. Any guidance you guys could give me would be immensely welcome.
Greg

tewbz
2k Poster

Post by tewbz » September 25th, 2011, 1:42 pm

first regatta of the season yesterday!
1st place in the 2nd heavy weight varstiy 8 with a time of 18:03 (i think)
and then 5th in the lightweight varsity 8 with a time of 17:23.
wasnt to happy with the lightweight 8 but i guess we will just have to improve over the next few weeks to come back and win that. my boat has made huge progress from the begining of the season, and i hope to keep making progress like this for the rest of it B)
16, male, 143 lbs. 5 foot 7

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » September 25th, 2011, 8:52 pm

tewbz wrote:first regatta of the season yesterday!
1st place in the 2nd heavy weight varstiy 8 with a time of 18:03 (i think)
and then 5th in the lightweight varsity 8 with a time of 17:23.
wasnt to happy with the lightweight 8 but i guess we will just have to improve over the next few weeks to come back and win that. my boat has made huge progress from the begining of the season, and i hope to keep making progress like this for the rest of it B)
Nice double!
What will be your major head race this season?
3 Crash-B hammers
American 60's Lwt. 2k record (6:49) •• set WRs for 60' & FM •• ~ now surpassed
repeat combined Masters Lwt & Hwt 1x National Champion E & F class
62 yrs, 160 lbs, 6' ...

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » September 25th, 2011, 9:08 pm

gregsmith01748 wrote: Edit: I almost forgot. One question. To benchmark my performance, what kind of pace difference should I expect to see between the erg and rowing a single. Today is looked like I was about 25 to 30 seconds slower per 500. I think I've seen numbers closer to 15 seconds as being "good". I am thinking that this means that I have a lot to learn about OTW rowing. Any guidance you guys could give me would be immensely welcome.
I'm an older over-the-hill type of guy with mostly slow twitch fibers.

Recently I've done 1:48 pace for 5k on the erg
and 2:05 pace for 5k on the water in the 1x... I doubt I could get under 2:03 OTW (that would be the 15 sec margin)
... I'll try to close in on 2:03 in the next month of sharpening before I scull in the HOCR... so: 15 sec seems to be fair...

guidance:
work on a big aerobic base first... IOW periodize your yearly training.
Scull at low rates more than you think is necessary.
Avoid the erg when the water is available to you.
Get good coaching.
Work on flexibility.
Set realizable intermediate goals on a strict schedule.
Don't compromise much but be smart about resting extra time when needed.
Do not increase total training volume by more than 10% per year.
Plan the race and race the plan.
Put good food in your body.... and nothing else.
Row with others and learn from them.... what to do and what not to do.
(Sorry about being simplistic... :oops: )

All the best with your sculling!
3 Crash-B hammers
American 60's Lwt. 2k record (6:49) •• set WRs for 60' & FM •• ~ now surpassed
repeat combined Masters Lwt & Hwt 1x National Champion E & F class
62 yrs, 160 lbs, 6' ...

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » September 25th, 2011, 10:42 pm

Saturday was hot and humid in the lower Merrimack Valley and my UK IP called for 48 mins of UT2 pace OTE. Or I could go out on the river in my Echo Islander Ocean scull. Guess who won? I rowed though a low hanging mist for about 80 mins from Rocks Village up to Groveland and back with no one else on the river. The hardest part was getting my 63 lb shell up the banks of the river and back on to the roof of my car. I'm finally to where I have enough technique to give myself a good aerobic workout. It's gratifying to see that someone as talented as Rocket also has trouble getting his heart rate up to get a good workout, although he is apparently working up to AT rates.

I'm looking forward to the East Coast Open Water Rowing Championships in Plymouth, Mass, USA on Oct 9 where I will be competing against other people who have barges like me.