Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ranger
Marathon Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by ranger » August 15th, 2011, 4:05 am

Roy--

Rowing is a technical challenge.

To be a great lightweight, you need to have a natural, sustainable stroke that pulls an easy 13 SPI.

Can you figure it out?

Leadville says that it's quick and easy to figure out, if you have the right coach.

Do you have the right coach?

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » August 15th, 2011, 4:45 am

Why are you obsessed with the FM?

Why not make it 100k, sounds more impressive no?
Lwt 55+ World Record Holder 6.38.1 (2006-2018)
World champion 2007, 2009, 2014.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03
Golf best gross 78, 8 over par.

snowleopard
6k Poster

Post by snowleopard » August 15th, 2011, 4:55 am

ranger wrote:Rowing is a technical challenge.

To be a great lightweight, you need to have a natural, sustainable stroke that pulls an easy 13 SPI.
Are you talking about rowing or erging? You don't know much about the requirements of racing when it comes to rowing. How many OTW events have you completed?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » August 15th, 2011, 5:59 am

snowleopard wrote:
ranger wrote:
snowleopard wrote:Roy Brook's scores for a recent 5 x 1K @ 24
So, at that HR and rest period, Roy will want to bring that 5 x 1K @ 1:47 down to 1:40 over the next six months in order to be ready for a 6:40 2K.
Sure, free rate. Can't see that being a problem.
I do, just like the nutty pro, roy is a few years older, so 6.40 will be out of his reach, 6.50 would be great at his age.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 15th, 2011, 7:26 am

Henry, Roy, Snow', Byron, Paul, et al....

Isn't it time to merely congratulate the old scrawny man on his "rowing well" and acknowledge the impasse with his ever bothering to complete anything truly outstanding anymore? Wouldn't that be appropriate attention? He has no taste for achievement or competition. All he wants is to post,post,post: dreams of what he'll never do. We see this quite frequently in old guys who drink too much...
If we just say "great work" and "atta boy" and stuff in that vein, he'll know we appreciate him for what he really is...
an attention hog.

It would be a nice change to resist engaging in overly repetitious jabs at a fake.
Sure he rows all his strokes at 13 spi!
Sure a FM at 1:45 pace is just around the corner!
In cyberspace anything is possible.
None of us really expect to see him row in the flesh nor will we ever get the chance.

Let's support the fantasy as it's the only thing he has left to hold on to.... :arrow: :idea:

Hail ranger, GTSSB !

*greatest thing since sliced bread

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 15th, 2011, 7:46 am

Rocket Roy wrote:Why are you obsessed with the FM?
The distance enforces the HR limitation.

You can't do a FM at much over 75% HRR, which is pretty near UT2.

No need to race a FM, really.

You can also just test your UT2 pace for 90min.

But that's quite a bit more complicated and questionable, given the HR data needed--maxHR, restingHR, %HRR, etc.

No HR monitoring and calculations are needed to get a good 2K prediction from a FM trial.

It's a race.

Just row 42K as fast as you can.

See what you get.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 15th, 2011, 7:51 am

leadville wrote:Sculling is Not so complicated that it takes seven plus years to get it right.
What do you do for 5K OTW?

How many times have you won the Head of the Charles?

If you haven't won, what has been your highest finish?

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 15th, 2011, 7:59 am

mikvan52 wrote:Isn't it time to merely congratulate the old scrawny man on his "rowing well" and acknowledge the impasse with his ever bothering to complete anything truly outstanding anymore? Wouldn't that be appropriate attention? He has no taste for achievement or competition.
I have three WR rows OTErg. But none of them were done "rowing well."

They were done at max drag, rowing _very_ badly--short sliding, diving at the catch, hauling anchor with my upper body, dragging my legs behind, both catching and finishing with my back.

I didn't know how to row.

Achievement?

I don't consider something an achievement if I have already done it--repeatedly.

So, I don't have any interest in piling up another list of WR 2Ks, rowing badly at max drag.

My interest in doing a 2K, rowing well (13 SPI) at low drag (120 df.), fully prepared, is exactly an interest in achievement, doing something that is _better_ than what I have done before.

For me personally, I think that rowing well (13 SPI) at low drag (120 df.), vis-a-vis rowing badly (10 SPI) at max drag (200+ df.), will be worth seven seconds per 500m in a 2K OTErg.

Relative to what I could do OTErg ten years ago as a total novice not knowing how to row, over 2K, this seven seconds per 500m will give me three seconds per 500m in pace above and beyond the standard decline with age among veterans of four seconds per 500m a decade.

6:28 ten years ago will now be 6:16.

In terms of wattage, three seconds per 500m in a 2K is the equivalent of six seconds per 500m in a FM.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 15th, 2011, 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

KevJGK
2k Poster

Post by KevJGK » August 15th, 2011, 8:05 am

ranger wrote: I have three WR rows OTErg. But none of them were done "rowing well."

They were done at max drag, rowing _very_ badly--short sliding, diving at the catch, hauling anchor with my upper body, dragging my legs behind, both catching and finishing with my back.
That's a fantastic achievement.

Well done.
Kevin
500m 01:33.5 Jun 2010 - 2K 06:59.5 Nov 2009 - 5K 19:08.4 Jan 2011

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 15th, 2011, 8:13 am

KevJGK wrote:
ranger wrote: I have three WR rows OTErg. But none of them were done "rowing well."

Well done.
Sure.

But once it is done, it can no longer be an achievement to do it again.

The achievement was a matter of race preparation and fitness.

It had nothing to do with rowing well (technique).

Pace in rowing is always a _combined_ product of (1) the quality of your fitness and (2) the quality of your technique.

So, in spite of the achievement with fitness, since 2002, I have still had quite a bit of potential still to tap, if I could improve my technique.

I have now done that.

In my estimation, fitness and technique are about equally responsible for 2K scores.

Compared to a rower who is unfit and unable, at the same rate, a rower who is fit and able goes along at a pace that is about 20 seconds per 500m faster.

Half of that margin is due to fitness.

And half is due to technique.

ranger

mrfit
2k Poster

Post by mrfit » August 15th, 2011, 8:32 am

ranger wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:Why are you obsessed with the FM?
The distance enforces the HR limitation.

You can't do a FM at much over 75% HRR, which is pretty near UT2.

ranger

Tell these guys then

Eddie Fletcher recorded these HR's during these Marathon rows

Anna Bailey (50-59 hwt) 2:53 86% HRR (WR)
Anne Yates (50-59 lwt) 3:10 84% HRR (WR)
Alex Brown (50-59 hwt) 2:41 85% HRR (British Record)
Mark Whyman (40-49 hwt) 2:37 84% HRR (PB)
Last edited by mrfit on August 15th, 2011, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrfit
2k Poster

Post by mrfit » August 15th, 2011, 8:35 am

ranger wrote:
In my estimation, fitness and technique are about equally responsible for 2K scores.

ranger
Why do novices do so well on the erg? Super fitness? Why do more experienced rowers lose this super fitness?

nharrigan
500m Poster

Post by nharrigan » August 15th, 2011, 9:32 am

Ranger- When do you sleep? Posts at 1:30am until 4:45am? Then more starting at 7am. I assume you were doing your 20k on the erg between 5 and 7am. B)
1968 78kg 186cm

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 15th, 2011, 9:35 am

ranger wrote:
KevJGK wrote:

Well done.
Sure.

But once it is done, it can no longer be an achievement to do it again.

The achievement was a matter of race preparation and fitness.

It had nothing to do with rowing well (technique).

Pace in rowing is always a _combined_ product of (1) the quality of your fitness and (2) the quality of your technique.

So, in spite of the achievement with fitness, since 2002, I have still had quite a bit of potential still to tap, if I could improve my technique.

I have now done that.

Compared to a rower who is unfit and unable, at the same rate, a rower who is fit and able goes along at a pace that is about 20 seconds per 500m faster.

Half of that margin is due to fitness.

And half is due to technique.

ranger
Brilliant assessment, Rich.
Glad you shared this.
Can it ever be overemphasized that pace is due to fitness & technique?
Leave it to you to keep our eyes on the prize!
Last edited by mikvan52 on August 15th, 2011, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » August 15th, 2011, 10:10 am

nharrigan wrote:Ranger- When do you sleep? Posts at 1:30am until 4:45am? Then more starting at 7am. I assume you were doing your 20k on the erg between 5 and 7am. B)
Remember, he only takes good strokes, all at 13 SPI, and examines his technique as he goes along. This makes for plenty of stopping and starting, so why not get in a post or two, or edit an existing one? Helps enforce the HR limitation, you know :lol:

it also allows us to receive his pearls of wisdom as soon as possible, which I'm sure you will agree is something very valuable to all of us. Thrilling to get the dispatches from the front lines describing his advances into unexplored territory, rowing better than any old man his age and weight has ever done on a piece of gym equipment! His mommy and daddy must be just bursting with pride!