Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
bellboy
2k Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by bellboy » August 9th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Mike Caviston wrote:
ranger wrote:I don't race on a team.
I am not a member of a club.
I am not rowing for a school or country.
I don't have a coach, other than myself.
I am not racing in a big boat with others.
When and where I race is entirely up to me.
And of course, “I lack any trace of sportsmanship or basic human decency and am not fit to associate with others.”

A few years ago when I was still at UMich, I went to the indoor race at Elkhart, IN. Cureton shows up at the gymnasium, checks in with the race officials, is weighed in, spends some time chatting with some of the other people in attendance, then proceeds to one of the warm-up ergs, presumably to get ready for his race. A few other heats are run, and an announcement is made for the competitors in the veterans event to report to their race ergs. Time for the race to start, seven ergs are occupied, one erg is empty. An announcement is made for Richard Cureton to report to his erg, the race is about to start. No Cureton. Race volunteers go off to check the locker room, the hallway, the parking lot. No Cureton. Seven racers wait patiently to give every opportunity to someone who had clearly shown up with the intention of racing. More requests for Cureton over the PA. Finally, after several minutes delay, the race starts with one erg empty. Cureton has another city to add to the Never-Ending DNS Tour (Birmingham, Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Toronto), having slunk out without a word or a nod to anyone and no thought or care as to who might be inconvenienced.

Also as a consequence, the ninth veteran entered, Paul Randall, was left alone in a heat of one. However, that did have a feel-good result as seven volunteers (including Paul’s grandson and great grandson) were recruited to row through with him during his time trial, and Paul was accompanied by as much cheering as for any of the high school or college races.

What would possess him to do this? I played in dozens of matches over the years when i wasn't feeling my best but you just suck it up and get on with it. It is clear that after his initial success he is now petrified of losing in a public arena. BIRC confirmed this.All the internet bravado counts for nothing when you are yellow

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » August 9th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Citroen wrote:
Flipper21 wrote:Ranger a.k.a. Walter Mitty,

will race again when there are none but him in his age group.
Some of us are hoping he'll drop dead before that happens.
I second that
JD

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 11th, 2011, 9:11 am

bellboy wrote:I played in dozens of matches over the years when i wasn't feeling my best but you just suck it up and get on with it.
"Matches"?

What kind of "matches"?

Tiddledywinks?

Have you tried WR-level 2Ks OTErg without preparing for them?

That is, with no anaerobic training, and no distance rowing or distance trials, just on the basis of low rate training, working on technique?

Give that a go and see what you think.

That's what I have been doing for the last eight years, as I have learned to row well.

In 2009 and 2010, at 58 and 59 years old, I pulled a lwt 6:41 for 2K, without even preparing for it.

In 2006, when I was 55, I pulled 6:29.7 as a _very_ light heavyweight (170 lbs.), without even preparing for it.

No one my age and weight had ever rowed that fast.

My work on technique is now done.

I now row well (13 SPI) at low drag (120 df.).

And I am now preparing to race.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 11th, 2011, 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 11th, 2011, 9:18 am

I'm just hanging out here in Minneapolis, MN, settling my daughter into a new apartment, as she prepares for graduate school in public health, and visiting my second son, who is starting a Ph.D. program in public policy in the fall (he just completed a masters degree in public policy).

No rowing here for me; I left the erg at home.

But the Ramada Plaza I am staying at has a nice fitness room and pool which I have been using for two hours each morning, to keep my fitness up.

An hour on the treadmill and then an hour in the pool yesterday.

An hour on the elliptical and then an your in the pool today.

I am keeping my normal schedule, starting my workouts about 4 a.m. and working until about 6 a.m.

Back to Door County, WI, tomorrow.

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

aharmer
6k Poster

Post by aharmer » August 11th, 2011, 10:02 am

So the 100 or so times the last 8 years that you claimed to be preparing and sharpening were all lies, or are you lying about never sharpening or preparing the last 8 years? It has to be one of the two, either way you're nothing more than a lying old troll.

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » August 11th, 2011, 10:14 am

You have to understand the Rangerspeak. "Racing without having prepared for it" depends on the definition of "preparing." HDPE von Manbatt defines "preparing" as "doing the entire cockamamie range of timed trials he fantasizes to be 2k predictors, starting with a world-record FM and working down to a WR 500m." Despite announcements ad nauseum to the contrary he didn't actually do any of those (for the simple reason that he couldn't). If you accept the premise it follows that he's never actually "prepared" for a 2k erg race.

And if you accept the premise, I have some default swaps on Italian sovereign debt I'd like to package for you....
67 MH 6' 6"

ben990
1k Poster

Post by ben990 » August 11th, 2011, 10:54 am

Hooray, ranger is back!

Rich Cureton M 60 hwt 5'11" 180 lbs. 7:02.3 (lwt) 2K

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » August 11th, 2011, 11:26 am

ranger wrote:
bellboy wrote:I played in dozens of matches over the years when i wasn't feeling my best but you just suck it up and get on with it.
"Matches"?

What kind of "matches"?

Tiddledywinks?

Have you tried WR-level 2Ks OTErg without preparing for them?

That is, with no anaerobic training, and no distance rowing or distance trials, just on the basis of low rate training, working on technique?

Give that a go and see what you think.

That's what I have been doing for the last eight years, as I have learned to row well.

In 2009 and 2010, at 58 and 59 years old, I pulled a lwt 6:41 for 2K, without even preparing for it.

In 2006, when I was 55, I pulled 6:29.7 as a _very_ light heavyweight (170 lbs.), without even preparing for it.

No one my age and weight had ever rowed that fast.

My work on technique is now done.

I now row well (13 SPI) at low drag (120 df.).

And I am now preparing to race.

ranger
Rugby matches. Over 200 as it goes. Balls out,backs to the wall rugby matches where you find out whether you have the heart for a battle or not.

snowleopard
6k Poster

Post by snowleopard » August 11th, 2011, 11:49 am

ranger wrote:Have you tried WR-level 2Ks OTErg without preparing for them?
Sheeesh. Such a princess. You haven't raced at "WR-level" in donkeys years else you would have a WR. Geddit?

And you only race once in a blue moon. And prepared or not, you have DNFd/DNSd more times than you've raced

And didn't you "paddle the last one in"? How hard can it be :roll:

redzone
500m Poster

Post by redzone » August 11th, 2011, 12:05 pm

ranger wrote: But the Ramada Plaza I am staying at has a nice fitness room and pool which I have been using for two hours each morning, to keep my fitness up.

I am keeping my normal schedule, starting my workouts about 4 a.m. and working until about 6 a.m.
Having mixed travelling and training for triathlons before, I'd be very surprised if they'd have the pool open at that time in the morning. Oh wait, they don't.

From: Ramada Plaza Minneapolis [mailto:info@ramadaplazampls.com]

Thanks for the question!

Our pool and work out facilities are open from 6am-11pm daily.

Let us know if there are any other questions we can help answer,
Margaret Mattison

:D

aharmer
6k Poster

Post by aharmer » August 11th, 2011, 12:22 pm

It's fun when he gets caught in an outright lie. Expect a barrage of posts to bury this information:) Ranger, you must feel at least a little embarrassed to have called rugby matches tiddlywinks. Rugby is played by men of men. Lying about erg scores? Well, not quite as impressive.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » August 11th, 2011, 12:25 pm

snowleopard wrote:
ranger wrote:Have you tried WR-level 2Ks OTErg without preparing for them?
Sheeesh. Such a princess. You haven't raced at "WR-level" in donkeys years else you would have a WR. Geddit?

And you only race once in a blue moon. And prepared or not, you have DNFd/DNSd more times than you've raced

And didn't you "paddle the last one in"? How hard can it be :roll:
Lot's of people can race at WR, blowing for 500 meter and from there limping home :P

But most people want the best result they have in them an a given day, so common sense prevents them blowing away like the nutty pro.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 11th, 2011, 12:30 pm

redzone wrote:
ranger wrote: But the Ramada Plaza I am staying at has a nice fitness room and pool which I have been using for two hours each morning, to keep my fitness up.

Having mixed travelling and training for triathlons before, I'd be very surprised if they'd have the pool open at that time in the morning. Oh wait, they don't.

Thanks for the question!

Margaret Mattison

There are ways for ranger to get what he wants...
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/t/t ... -10805.jpg

he's back! OMG!

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » August 11th, 2011, 12:52 pm

redzone wrote:Having mixed travelling and training for triathlons before, I'd be very surprised if they'd have the pool open at that time in the morning. Oh wait, they don't.

Thanks for the question!

Margaret Mattison

Priceless. :lol:
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 12th, 2011, 6:28 am

hjs wrote:
Lot's of people can (go out at WR pace) for 500 meter and from there limping home :P
Henry:
What more would we expect to hear from ranger, right here in his Limp Richard's Almanac ?