Ducks In A Row - Introductions

read only section for reference and search purposes.
LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » March 11th, 2005, 3:28 pm

KathiS - Great photo! Great story! Thanks for sharing it with us. How big a part was the erg of your weight loss? Did you row as part of your weight loss regime, or did you find the erg later on? <br /><br />

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » March 11th, 2005, 3:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Mar 11 2005, 01:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Mar 11 2005, 01:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->KathiS - Great photo!  Great story!  Thanks for sharing it with us.  How big a part was the erg of your weight loss?  Did you row as part of your weight loss regime, or did you find the erg later on? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Linda!<br /><br />The erg was not part of my weight loss regime (when I first started exercising I couldn't walk 10 minutes, the erg would have killed me)! <br /><br />I discovered the erg in our local gym in December. The gym as a 30 minute limitation on all aerobic equipment, so I didn't get much time on it. I liked it so much, we decided to buy one for our home. It arrived on February 4, and I've been rowing my little heart out ever since!

[old] KRed

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KRed » March 12th, 2005, 12:51 am

Wow Kathi, you motivate me! I still have to lose my 100 pounds, and erging is really helping a lot! I've been trying to change my eating habits (I still slip up now and then!). When my pants get that big on me I'll post the picture! <br /><br />95 pounds to go!

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » March 12th, 2005, 1:54 am

Thanks KRed! Getting started is the hardest part, and it sounds like you are already passed that, so I expect you will start dropping a lot more weight very soon. I can't even imaging trying to row when I first started out, and I am very impressed that you are! It took my husband months to get me to try the erg at our gym. I am really looking forward to seeing that picture!!<br /><br />I am very glad to hear that my story has helped to motivate you. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have my husband as a constant source of inspiration, and like to tell my story in hopes of helping someone else. <br /><br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » March 12th, 2005, 9:41 am

This is what it's all about - helping each other! <br />I haven't had as much time as I'd like to respond to all of your posts, but be assured that I am reading everything. This is what keeps me going when I start to feel overwhelmed by everything else that's going on. You know - life in general! <br />Keep up the great work Ducks!<br />The Buffle

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » March 12th, 2005, 1:02 pm

KathiS, thank you for the amazing pictures and story. Definitely a good motivation tool! My total goal was to get from 163 to 135. I'm now 151, and was getting a little frustrated by the slowness, but you've given me a lift! Most of mine happened when I ran over the summer, but i've been dropping about a pound a week since rowing, I guess i just have to go slow and easy on the weight loss! <br /><br />Glad to know you're around Buffle! Take care of yourself, and I hope that things are calming down a bit for you!<br /><br />

[old] KRed

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KRed » March 12th, 2005, 1:41 pm

Now running... That's something I can't do yet. I'm hoping to be able too sometime though...<br /><br />I'm doing good with rowing, but anything over 30 minutes (at about a 2:45 pace) wears me out fast. I'll have to try and slow down to get to maybe 40 minutes and then keep adding time. As my weight goes down, I'm sure my stamina will increase as well.

[old] mallard

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mallard » March 17th, 2005, 10:04 am

Hi - I'm Jenny aka Mallard. I'm 38 and live in Somerset with my husband, children, dogs and cats.<br /><br />I was born in Oxford, England and rowed on the water from the age of 15-18 on the Thames, then for another 3 years at college.<br /><br />Then came work (accountant) and children (2 boys aged 2 and 4). <br /><br />I have had a C2 for about 6 years, and have tried to get into the routine of using it to help get back into shape. Each time I have lacked motivation.<br /><br />Now I have discovered DIAR I know that all that will change. I have started my quest this week with a 20 minute row at a pretty low intensity plus 8 minutes warm up at either end - total distance 4,700m. Looking forward to raising my level and starting to pile on the miles and get the excess weight shifted.<br /><br />Do any of you guys do any e-rowing? Are there any women only races at all?<br /><br />Look forward to hearing from you all soon. <br /><br /><br />

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » March 17th, 2005, 10:58 am

Welcome to the pond, Mallard!! <br />I hope you find the women's forum as helpful and encouraging as I have! It sure has helped me keep on track. Not only that, it's great to make friends from all over the world!<br /><br />Bufflehead

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » March 17th, 2005, 11:21 am

Welcome to the group! Mallard! Great to have you. Not on erow yet, maybe at a later date. My comp crashed a few months ago and i'm on an old loaner for a while. I definitely find our team motivating, and hope that you'll join in on all of our boards and liven things up a bit!

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » March 17th, 2005, 2:03 pm

Hi Mallord!<br /><br />Its wonderful to see another ducky in the pond! From what I understand E-Row doesn't work with the PM3, but I have been considering RowPro. Don't know if any of the other women here use either but would be interested to find out!<br />

[old] arowma

Women's Forum

Post by [old] arowma » March 20th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Welcome Mallard!

[old] sailorgirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sailorgirl » March 22nd, 2005, 2:05 am

Hi, my name is Leslie and I have just joined your team on 3/21. Do my past logs count toward the team total since I updated my profile? I am 37 with two kiddos ages 3 and 5. I used to bike race, run races, and sailboat race (for over 11 years) on small boats and larger 40 + footers as well. Having kids slowed me down and has made it unrealistic to train for any long distance events that places me geographically far away from getting home quickly in case of an emergency with my son and daughter. Some of the regattas were 8 hrs +! I started working out at a local gym with my husband and got addicted to the Concept 2. The motion/effort is a lot like racing on dingys when you have to hike out and get back in quickly with a sheet in your hand. I would consider myself a long distance erger = I'm not fast (it still takes me just barely under an hour to row 10,000 meters), but rowing for over an hour doesn't phase me. I hope my overall meters help the team, rather than my actual times (they are nothing to brag about). I sure miss being part of a team and feeling that old competitive streak as a team...so.....Ducks in a Row seems like a great way to keep motivated and to quench my competitive tendencies.<br />Thanks for letting me join!

[old] sailorgirl

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sailorgirl » March 22nd, 2005, 2:06 am

Hi, my name is Leslie and I have just joined your team on 3/21. Do my past logs count toward the team total since I updated my profile? I am 37 with two kiddos ages 3 and 5. I used to bike race, run races, and sailboat race (for over 11 years) on small boats and larger 40 + footers as well. Having kids slowed me down and has made it unrealistic to train for any long distance events that places me geographically far away from getting home quickly in case of an emergency with my son and daughter. Some of the regattas were 8 hrs +! I started working out at a local gym with my husband and got addicted to the Concept 2. The motion/effort is a lot like racing on dingys when you have to hike out and get back in quickly with a sheet in your hand. I would consider myself a long distance erger = I'm not fast (it still takes me just barely under an hour to row 10,000 meters), but rowing for over an hour doesn't phase me. I hope my overall meters help the team, rather than my actual times (they are nothing to brag about). I sure miss being part of a team and feeling that old competitive streak as a team...so.....Ducks in a Row seems like a great way to keep motivated and to quench my competitive tendencies.<br />Thanks for letting me join!<br />Oops - sorry for the double post!

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » March 22nd, 2005, 2:12 am

Hi Sailorgirl, welcome to the pond!<br /><br />Any meters you have logged in your personal logbook for this season will count towards the team. It looks like you have about 60K, does that sound right? <br /><br />Great to have you on the team!