Ducks In A Row - Introductions

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 15th, 2005, 9:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-little weed+Feb 15 2005, 05:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(little weed @ Feb 15 2005, 05:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->kathi, <br />that's a remarkable story.  you sound incredibly happy with your new life. congratulations. i am in awe.<br />jane <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thank you Jane! I guess a healthier life truly does lead to a happier life!

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 15th, 2005, 11:21 pm

That was a great story! Thank you for sharing! <br /><br /><br />Ok, I waited too long to edit my post at the beginning, so here is my slightly less tired intro of myself. <br /><br />My name is Jessica, i'm 27 and i live in the cincinnati area. I'm originally from the south, moved up here 5 years ago as a flight attendant. Couple years later I got laid off, and now I'm selling cars on the internet! (strange career path so far, but interesting at least!). Other than that, I love to read (compulsively!), cross stitch, and watch movies (the netflix subscription is getting a workout while I'm on the rower lately...rowing pretty short pieces, but it helps keep me going!) Rowed in college, and loved it. Would love to get back on the water eventually, but for now I'm loving my new concept 2! <br /><br />In the meantime, I would love to shed at least 20 pounds, get back to a lightweight status, improve my cardio health and get faster! I feel a tad lost on the training aspect, so anyone who wants to make suggestions as the weeks go by, jump in and i'll take them into consideration! (i don't always follow direction well!)

[old] KRed

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KRed » February 19th, 2005, 1:11 pm

Hello Ladies!<br /><br />I'm Kris, and I'm a newbie duck <br /><br />I'm 5'3, 34 years old<br /><br />I'm new to both the erg and the forums. I've rowing off and on for about a month, and am ready to get going on a more steady basis.<br /><br />I'm overweight and out of shape, but I always wanted to join a rowing team. I'm rowing for weight loss and strength, and in training so I can get out on the water sometime in the (hopefully near) future! <br /><br />Been thinking of a duck name for myself, and I've settled on something out of the box.. Dodger. Duck Dudgers has always been my favorite cartoon, so I'll stick with that as long as it doesn't break any team rules or something <br /><br />Look forward to chatting with you all!<br /><br />Dodger.

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 19th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Welcome to the team Dodger! Great name!

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 19th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Welcome to the pond, Dodger!

[old] Avid Napper

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Avid Napper » February 19th, 2005, 6:23 pm

Just joined DIAR for I need all the inspiration I can get! (And my dear, departed mother used to call me "Ducky," so how could I resist?)<br /><br />I'm 45, 5'7" tall, and weigh around 168--though I weighed 176 when I got my erg in late December 2004. The pounds aren't exactly flying off after 256K, but I feel so much more energetic (I may need to change my user name if this keeps up), I don't really care. Live with my partner of 12 years in Western Massachusetts along with our two dogs and two cats. When I'm not earning my keep as an editor, I go to 12-step meetings for my sanity and do standup comedy for fun. <br /><br />Bought my C2 because I desperately need to work out (doctor's orders) but am allergic to the gym--yet remember I always liked the rowing machines. Plus, we bought kayaks this summer, and I enjoy paddling around enormously--and figured the erg would be a good all-around conditioner for this. Needed to get a pad for the seat when I first started (no wonder babies with diaper rash cry so!) and also have to watch my technique (my back gets sore occasionally), but otherwise I love this erging business.<br /><br />Here's to the Ducks!

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 19th, 2005, 7:35 pm

Welcome to the duck pond! I love your name "Avid Napper"! I look forward to getting to know you!

[old] pamcnm

Women's Forum

Post by [old] pamcnm » February 19th, 2005, 8:35 pm

Avid Napper, I love kayaking and originally started working out on the erg to cross train for paddling. Now I have become addicted to the erg in it's own right:)<br /><br />Glad to have you as a duck! I am a 47 year old lightweight rower, and paddle most often in the Monterey Bay (home).<br /><br />I don't have an individual duck name, but both my yaks are named after shorebirds. I paddle an avocet ,and also have on old heritage shearwater. <br /><br />As a midwife, I have to say I like the screen name avid napper!

[old] Avid Napper

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Avid Napper » February 21st, 2005, 1:49 pm

Well, it looks like I better keep "Avid Napper" whether it still fits or not! <br /><br />As for my kayak, it's a recreational model (Perception Sundance), which is really all I need for the wee little manmade lakes we paddle on in the Berkshires.<br /><br />Just about bought the farm in my 20s whitewater rafting (saw my life flash before my eyes--it was not a pretty show, let me tell you), so will not be kayaking on local rivers or the ocean any time soon.<br /><br />Another good reason to enjoy rowing on the erg--very little chance of falling off and ending up under water!<br /><br />Avid Napper<br />Ducks In A Row!

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » February 22nd, 2005, 6:11 am

I’ve been lurking on this forum waiting for my C2 to arrive. It came today and I’ve got it put together and my first light workout done. I’ve joined ya’ll ducks hoping that will keep me motivated to keep rowing. <br /><br />I used to be fairly athletic with hiking and martial arts but chronic shin splints have kept me sidelined for a few years and I’ve gotten pudgy and feel really out of shape now. I’m also working non-traditional hours (swing and overnights) and have a hard time doing things during normal people hours. <br /><br />My basic goals are to feel better, get rid of some low grade chronic health blahness and lose a jeans size. I’m going to start off with 20 minutes of rowing a day when I get up, focusing mostly on form to start with. I’ve hurt myself enough in the past that I’m all about form now that I’m past 35 and 40 is starting to give me a hairy eyeball. <br /><br />I’ve been loving all the different stories on this thread and on the <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1214' target='_blank'>what motivates you to erg</a> thread. <br />

[old] CAROLE MAC

Women's Forum

Post by [old] CAROLE MAC » February 22nd, 2005, 7:48 am

welcome hun and enjoy.....folks on here are great. I also work shifts when I am not lame lol...and work out at 0200hrs sometimes when I am on nights in my break .The gym at work is situated under the cells and I turn the music on really loud...ggggg

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 22nd, 2005, 4:25 pm

Hi LandLocked,<br /><br />Welcome to the pond! It is very good to see a new duck! I am also very new to rowing and have found a lot of information on this site! The people here are just wonderful.

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 22nd, 2005, 4:50 pm

Welcome to the newest Ducks! <br />I thought I should waddle over here to say hello. I was using the virtual team thread to say hello, but I'm not sure if those of you new to the flock saw it. Can you believe we are #50 now? <br /><br />Keep up the good work! There sure are a lot of good stories out there - inspirational, too! This is a great way for all of us to stay motivated. <br /><br />Quack! Quack!<br />The Bufflehead<br />

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » February 26th, 2005, 1:52 am

Ok.. I finally decided to take a duck name, well... sort of.<br /> <br />So, I am reintroducing myself as Ritz Quackoar!<br /><br />I know it is pretty corny, but I guess that makes it all the more me!<br />

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » February 26th, 2005, 6:45 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.<br /><br />And I just want to wave at my neighbor Ritz Quackoar, I’m over in Denver.