Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by NavigationHazard » August 5th, 2011, 12:11 pm

If all you're doing is comparing day-to-day results from the same unit on the same boat, the calibration factor on a speed coach doesn't matter. You'll still see relative changes in boat speed. If you want to compare your results to absolute standards, N/K will tell you you should calibrate the speedcoach by rowing some measured distance and comparing the results.

See http://www.nkhome.com/support/instructi ... coach.html
also
https://www.nk.com.au/cms.cfm?Section=AboutCalibration

Which is to say RTFM. Citroen will know what that means....
67 MH 6' 6"

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » August 5th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Today Ranger wrote: I am rowing 25K a day. I want to stretch that to 40K over the next month or so.
More than a year ago (April 11th, 20100}
Ranger wrote: --snip--Right now, I am doing about 20K a day of it. It is now time to up that to 40K.
aharmer wrote: I wondered the same about his investments. Unfortunately we won't hear a word about it until everything shakes out, then he'll tell us he did whatever the best case scenario turns out to be.
Our hero would have you believe that he has control over his retirement fund and can easily move funds around. TIAA has many funds you can invest in but the two main funds are TIAA traditional (low risk, at least up to now) and CREF, which follows the stock market. If you want to take money out of the TIAA traditional, unless you want to get one of their life-time annuities (don't get me started ranting against those), you are only allowed to take ten approximately equal payments equally spaced over ten years, so there is not much flexibility there. They guarantee a certain yield each year, and at the end of the year the board decides what the guarantee will be for the next year. Their contract is vaguely worded about what fees they can charge and fees can change any time, which leaves them an escape if the guaranteed yield does not work out. I can't say this for certain, but I believe up to now they have not used increased fees as a way around the guaranteed yield.

Also, unlike some other retirement funds, TIAA traditional funds are guaranteed only by TIAA so their guarantee means they will pay you if they say they are able to. And of course the CREF money is subject to the whims of the stock market.

What is remarkable about the retirement system for university faculty and certain other employees in Michigan is that the employee puts in 5 percent and the university puts in 10 percent of the salary each year.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 5th, 2011, 12:54 pm

ranger wrote:
Tinpusher wrote:
ranger wrote:I continue to do a solid 8 SPI OTW.
Even though SPI means nothing in a boat, how do you know that what it is since your SpeedCoach isn't calibrated?

It probably reads at least 5% fast like they all do in singles. Try a calibration factor of 0.940 to get a more realistic idea of your pace. Better still calibrate it against a GPS since you're on still water. :idea:
John Pauls, who works for Fluidesign and is better OTW than Mike VB, uses a simple 1.000 calibration factor for his Fluid.

I row the same boat.

ranger
John Pauls and I are friends so he won't mind my saying this:
I kicked his ass at Nationals last year and beat him in all Head RACES OTHER than the HOCR...

He and I joined forces and won the lwt E 2x at Camden 2010...

I don't think either of us would characterize the other as being better or worse.

As for the calibration... JFDI it's not hard. ... and 1.000 is not "simple"... it's random and should not be trusted for any hull automatically.
I have calibrated my boat (also a Fluid similar to yours) and it is not 1.000.
NK will tell you to calibrate each and every boat.. They know... you don't or do not care...
Anything that plays into a "fake" is good for you... just like the 165 lb thing.
So: in conclusion we see...
You remain, simply, a mere DICK w/o results OTW.

When are you planning to complete a 1k or 5k OTW and reporting a time?... (Never!)
you remain forever: ALL BLOW AND NO GO.

Posting intentional lies and gross misrepresentations is your only forte.

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » August 5th, 2011, 1:03 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:If all you're doing is comparing day-to-day results from the same unit on the same boat, the calibration factor on a speed coach doesn't matter. You'll still see relative changes in boat speed.
I have little doubt that this is all JP cares about. However, even this approach is somewhat fraught with opportunity for error in ranger's case, as it assumes the hull drag is invariant over time, and we all know that ranger is prone to collisions with other watercraft and rows poorly enough that barnacle growth is a factor :lol:

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 1:59 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:If all you're doing is comparing day-to-day results from the same unit on the same boat, the calibration factor on a speed coach doesn't matter. You'll still see relative changes in boat speed. If you want to compare your results to absolute standards, N/K will tell you you should calibrate the speedcoach by rowing some measured distance and comparing the results.

See http://www.nkhome.com/support/instructi ... coach.html
also
https://www.nk.com.au/cms.cfm?Section=AboutCalibration

Which is to say RTFM. Citroen will know what that means....
Sure.

I can calibrate it.

I have a GPS, too.

Unfortuanately, calbrating your speed coach doesn't improve your OTW rowing.

Just as doing races, time over distance rowed, doesn't improve your erging.

To get better at rowing, OTW or OTerg, you have to improve your technique.

One of the most fantastic omissions imaginable is this:

All of the major training plans for rowing have nothing to say about how to improve your technique.

:o :shock:

Therefore, they have nothing to say about how to get better at rowing, either OTerg or OTW.

When you have prepared to race even once, all of the training plans for rowing are forever after irrelevant.

They have no further bearing on whether you get better and better, or, as in most cases, just worse and worse.

In his middle 20s, Pete Marston, guru of the "Pete Plan," as a total novice, not even knowing how to row, pulled 6:11 for 2K.

Now, in his early 30s, he pulls 6:22.

Nice training plan.

_GREAT_ results.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 5th, 2011, 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » August 5th, 2011, 2:08 pm

ranger wrote:John Pauls, who works for Fluidesign and is better OTW than Mike VB, uses a simple 1.000 calibration factor for his Fluid.

I row the same boat.

ranger
So? I would be very surprised if the calibration on a Fluid is 1.000. Maybe he's just happy to leave it there and not spout off pointless unverifiable numbers on an internet forum. :idea: Calibrate it or stop claiming figures that have little relevance and even less accuracy.

The XL is such a useful piece of kit and can produce wonderful meaningful data with just a few clicks of the mouse. In about the same time as it takes to post a sunrise pic. :roll:
I wasn't "working with" or "doing some" I did this as the first half of my session this morning....
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:17 pm

tinpusher wrote: I would be very surprised if the calibration on a Fluid is 1.000.
It doesn't really matter at your level of expertise--and mine.

Your speed coach is not going to make you a better OTW rower.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 5th, 2011, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » August 5th, 2011, 2:20 pm

ranger wrote:I can calibrate it.

I have a GPS, too.

No it won't improve your rowing but it will lend credibility to your reporting, something that is sorely missing from here.
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:22 pm

mikvan52 wrote:I kicked his ass at Nationals
And he kicked your ass at the Head of the Charles.

I suspect that if you had to race 2K for sprints he would kick your ass there, too.

Why?

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 5th, 2011, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Tinpusher wrote:
ranger wrote:I can calibrate it.

I have a GPS, too.

No it won't improve your rowing but it will lend credibility to your reporting, something that is sorely missing from here.
Writing on the internet won't improve your rowing, either.

ranger

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » August 5th, 2011, 2:28 pm

ranger wrote:Writing on the internet won't improve your rowing, either.

ranger
So says Mr 11175 posts. :lol:
David Chmilowskyj
Team Oarsome

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Tinpusher--

With the same calibration on my speed coach, this year OTW, I am about eight seconds per 500m better at the same rate.

That's an improvement in my rowing.

Doesn't have anything to do with the speed coach or the reporting.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Tinpusher wrote:
ranger wrote:Writing on the internet won't improve your rowing, either.

ranger
So says Mr 11175 posts. :lol:
Sure.

I like to write, too.

I am an English professor.

Then again...

I am also the best male erger for my age and weight--by far.

Are you?

At the moment, you miss it by about 30 seconds over 2K.

Perhaps it's time to pony up and stop worrying about those who are _waaaaay_ better than you.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 5th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 5th, 2011, 2:43 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:If all you're doing is comparing day-to-day results from the same unit on the same boat, the calibration factor on a speed coach doesn't matter. You'll still see relative changes in boat speed.
Exactly.

ranger

snowleopard
6k Poster

Post by snowleopard » August 5th, 2011, 3:06 pm

ranger wrote:I am also the best male erger for my age and weight--by far.

Are you?
Dufus, unless one has a twin _everyone_ is the best male/female erger for their age and weight, i.e., in a category of one.

Do you hold any age group world records? No, didn't think so.

BTW, still looking for a copy of that email you received concerning your unsuccessful HotC ballot entry.