Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by mikvan52 » August 3rd, 2011, 11:59 am

ranger wrote:
mikvan52 wrote: Maybe when organizers heard that ranger was expecting a rowing well / spi / special medal they trashed his entry :P :?:
Not sure about what you are implying here.

All single scullers work endlessly on how to do a lot of work on each stroke--easily.

Distance per stroke, SPI, whatever.

That's the essence of the sport.
So: Find me one other sculler who works on SPI... or even knows what it is... :lol: :lol: :lol:

YOU DIDN'T ANSWER: Which head races will you definitely be racing this fall?
& (!)
Are you going to ever go to Masters Nationals (1K)?

let the muppet show continue... B)

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » August 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm

ranger wrote:After this fall, I won't have any work conflicts in the fall, so it will be much easier for me, in practical terms, to follow a circuit of head racing each fall, including the Head of the Charles.
Byron, the translation from Rangerspeak is "And he saith unto the referees, follow me down thy courses and I will make thee fishers of men."
67 MH 6' 6"

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 3rd, 2011, 12:02 pm

Rocket Roy wrote:
ranger wrote:

Sure, a 6:40 is a nice 2K for a 60s lwt, but no big deal, really, given that the 50s lwt WR is 6:25.

ranger
Don't denigrate the 60's lwt WR, until you can beat it. NOT in your head but actually, and that will be never.

You had 5 years to beat my "SOFT" WR of 6.38.1 but never even got close.''

Wise up and sell your erg and boat and get into a rest home for the mentally confused!
Could the rest home be "mommie's house" up in Door County?
Watching the sunrise and dreaming of past glory surrounded by a porch-load of empties...

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » August 3rd, 2011, 12:17 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:
ranger wrote:After this fall, I won't have any work conflicts in the fall, so it will be much easier for me, in practical terms, to follow a circuit of head racing each fall, including the Head of the Charles.
Byron, the translation from Rangerspeak is "And he saith unto the referees, follow me down thy courses and I will make thee fishers of men."
Nav, you should have warned me: Put down your coffee and swallow before reading this. I just sprayed my laptop while laughing.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 3rd, 2011, 12:34 pm

Byron Drachman wrote: Nav, you should have warned me: Put down your coffee and swallow before reading this. I just sprayed my laptop while laughing.
Ah, Bryon. You disappoint me. I would never have dreamed that you were one of those who have to have their coffee (or any other fluid or even food for that matter) while using a keyboard. I have always regarded that as a recipe for disaster.

Bob S.

snowleopard
6k Poster

Post by snowleopard » August 3rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

ranger wrote:I don't think anyone would doubt that I can pull 6:40, fully prepared, rowing well at low drag.
You're wrong. I strongly doubt it.

But that's not the point at all. You claim to be capable of a 6:16. Your fitness is maximal your technique is perfect you are rowing well.

That means you should be able to row a 6:28 right now, pre-sharpening. But of course you can't.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 3rd, 2011, 1:27 pm

NavigationHazard wrote:Muppet. You've been told a hundred times that there is no "normal" age-related decline in 2k times of a second a year "after [the age of] 20." The absolute WR was and is Rob Waddell's 6:36.6. It was set in 2008, when he was 32. Thirty Two. THIRTY FREAKIN' TWO.
Sure.

But it's a good rule of thumb, very close to accurate.

For instance, the lwt WRs are:

5:58 20s
6:06 30s
6:17 40s
6:25 50s
6:42 60s

Lordy.

You can't get much more regular than that.

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

Rocket Roy
2k Poster

Post by Rocket Roy » August 3rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

ranger wrote:Roy--

I don't think anyone would doubt that I can pull 6:40, fully prepared, rowing well at low drag.

For that bit of nay-saying, there are no stakes at all.

ranger
Everyone doubts that mate.

Everyone even doubts you can row 1.40 pace for 1k!! Let alone 2. :roll: :roll:
Lwt 55+ World Record Holder 6.38.1 (2006-2018)
World champion 2007, 2009, 2014.
2k pb...6.34.7
cycling
25 miles...55;24
10 miles...21.03
Golf best gross 78, 8 over par.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » August 3rd, 2011, 1:34 pm

Bob S. wrote:
Byron Drachman wrote: Nav, you should have warned me: Put down your coffee and swallow before reading this. I just sprayed my laptop while laughing.
Ah, Bryon. You disappoint me. I would never have dreamed that you were one of those who have to have their coffee (or any other fluid or even food for that matter) while using a keyboard. I have always regarded that as a recipe for disaster.

Bob S.
Good point, Bob. This thread requires one's full attention. Otherwise one of our hero's valuable training tips might slip by unnoticed. Noshing could be a distraction from the required concentration and as you wisely say, spillage near a computer is to be avoided.

Here is my concession to computer safety: You know how they make spill-proof cups for babies and toddlers? Well, I use a Thermos that is fairly spill proof. You have to push a lever in order to drink from the container. Like our hero's famous stroke, you need to use separated levers. First you squeeze the handle, then you drink. In 2003 I used to make a mess of it, but I now drink well.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 3rd, 2011, 1:36 pm

snowleopard wrote:
ranger wrote:I don't think anyone would doubt that I can pull 6:40, fully prepared, rowing well at low drag.
You're wrong. I strongly doubt it.

But that's not the point at all. You claim to be capable of a 6:16. Your fitness is maximal your technique is perfect you are rowing well.

That means you should be able to row a 6:28 right now, pre-sharpening. But of course you can't.
No reason to speculate at this late date.

I'll be doing a FM trial pretty soon.

If I do 1:48 (or better), the case is closed and speculation ended.

If I do a FM @ 1:48 (or better), I will have a _very_ good chance of pulling a lwt 6:16 at 60.

A FM @ 1:48 would be six seconds 500m better than my FM pb from back in 2003, when I pulled a lwt 6:28.

It would be better than my FM pb by an entire training band.

In 2003, I did 60min at 1:48.

60min is done at top-end UT1.

A FM is done at just above UT2.

It will be especially impressive, of course, if I do the 1:48 (or better) at 22 spm, or whatever, approaching 13 SPI, as I think I will.

The two things that older ergers have lacked in order to row as well as those much younger is (1) a big stroke, that is, advanced skills and high skeletal-motor capacity and (2) high physiological capacity.

Most of the best veteran ergers in the history of the sport have not even been rowers: Tore Foss, Paul Siebach, Roy Brook, Dennis Hastings, Paul Hendershott, Andy Ripley, Graham Watt, myself, etc.

They have been bikers, runners, triathletes, weight lifters, canoeists, kayakers, gym rats, etc.

Dick Cashin is the glaring exception so far, but it looks to me as though Cashin will have a hard time besting Hendershott"s 6:24 when he is 60.

It will be a close call, given Cashin's 6:18 at 55 and a normal decline with age of a second a year over 2K.

Cashin will really have to pony up to beat Paul's standard.

ranger
Last edited by ranger on August 3rd, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » August 3rd, 2011, 1:44 pm

Rocket Roy wrote:
ranger wrote:Roy--

I don't think anyone would doubt that I can pull 6:40, fully prepared, rowing well at low drag.

For that bit of nay-saying, there are no stakes at all.

ranger
Everyone doubts that mate.

Everyone even doubts you can row 1.40 pace for 1k!! Let alone 2. :roll: :roll:
Doubt? I am sure he can't. Remember the bet I made and won a few years back, that was about breaking that 6.40, he tried tried and tried that season, but failed.

And for those who wonder, did he pay that lost debt?, no he did not :roll: upstanding as he is.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » August 3rd, 2011, 2:04 pm

hjs wrote:Remember the bet I made and won a few years back
You were betting on nothin', Henry.

I was working on technique and not even preparing to race.

My work on technique is now done and I am preparing to race.

I now row well (13 SPI) at low drag (120 df.).

Everyone gets about a dozen seconds over 2K from a couple of months of race preparation.

I am not sure what rowing well at low drag is worth over 2K, but I would guess something similar.

So the difference, if you add race preparation and advances in technique, is six seconds per 500m, 24 seconds over 2K.

6:41 becomes 6:17.

BTW, the lwt 6:41s I pulled in 2009 and 2010, when I was 58 and 59, without even preparing for them, still working on technique, were faster than anyone my age and weight had ever done.

You bet that, without preparing for it, I would row 6:40, and I pulled 6:41.

Good goin', dude.

ranger

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

The bet--some history

Post by Byron Drachman » August 3rd, 2011, 2:41 pm

Ranger wrote:Thu Apr 02, 2009
Byron Drachman wrote:Then you will have no problem sending Henry a check for $1000 unless you verify your weight as a lightweight in a manner suitable to Henry and post a sub 6:40 2K with verification code before the end of this month.
Indeed I will.
Just as he will have no problem sending me $3000 when I win both the bets.
We are upstanding folks.
We pay our bets, if we lose.

April 30, 2009:
Yea, time has run out.
Oh well.
Don't much feel like doing a 2K, given that I still haven't sharpened for one.
2Ks hurt pretty badly if you aren't ready for them.
Hey, hjs, any possibility of modifying our $1000 bet along the lines of our $3000 bet?
A time extension would be _greatly_ appreciated.
That might be a squarer deal, given my situation (unprepared!).
I need to get sharpened up if I want to be doing 2Ks without a lot of grief.
Training is coming along great--but slowly.
Too slowly, it appears.
One last cry for mercy!

April 30, 2009: hjs is an ogre
no sympathy
no heart

May 5, 2009: I am doing trials at the other distances this spring and summer.
If I can't reach my goals in those trials, then I'll pay up for the bet I lost.
My attempt to get better has involved improving my technique.
That work is done.
I now row well (13 SPI).
If I can't reach my goals over the next couple of months, when I will use this improved technique in sprint and distance trials, I can't reach my goals later on.

Feb 17, 2010: Hey, Henry. I will send you the $1000 I owe you from the prize money I will win from the Chicago organizers when I break the 55s lwt WR this weekend in Cleveland.
hjs wrote: Feb 17, 2010:
ranger wrote: Hey, Henry.
I will send you the $1000 I owe you from the prize money I will win from the Chicago organizers when I break the 55s lwt WR this weekend in Cleveland.
I won't receive the money until March, though.
Of course, given that I am sending you the $1000 for the part of the bet that I lost last year, if I reach one of my targets this year, you will owe me a full $3000 in return.
As it looks now, I think I will reach _all_ of my targets, not just one, or a few.
Wish me luck!
ranger
The bet was clear Rich.

Last was year was about that 1000$, if you rowed any of your stated goals, I would have lost and you had won the double amount, If you broke a lightweight 6.40 but stayed above your own 2k goal it was a breakeven.
That was the 6.16/6.40 zone
The result was close but also clear 6.41, so I won, you owe me that 1000 $, Chicago has nothing to do with it.............
See: http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9742&start=0
The other bet was not a bet, but more a promise from my side and it was not about this year, but I gave you the change to row any of your stated goals in your profile, at any point in your life, the ones pointing to a 6.16 2k.
No time restictions.
clear proof of your weight status.
and clear proof of the row.
So the situation is clear, you owe me that 1000 dollar, but after you have settled that bet, you can win that back 3 fold.
Good luck with your row, the WR is possible for you, but it is also still far from your goals. Those are without a doubt unreachable. And not only for you but for every man your size and age.
So if you choose to pay your debt PM me.
Ranger wrote: Feb 17, 2010: Yes, exactly.
I just prefer to pay you the bet I lost last year with my rowing winnings from this year, so that my wife doesn't kill me.
Marriages are cooperative ventures, you know.
Given that I have been married for 35 years, I would hate to end a good thing on a rowing bet.
Males.
What good are they?
It is amazing that good women put up with us.

April 26, 2010: Sure, I'll owe the $1K bet if I fail to hit my targets when I am fully trained. But not until then. That won't be long now.

Nov 17, 2010: I'll pay the bet when I lose it. I haven't lost the bet.
I am sure that Henry will pay up the $2000 he will owe me when I win. He is a stand-up guy. The bet should certainly be resolved this winter, when I will reach all of my goals.

Feb 14, 2011: Just in the natural course of this training, I should hit all of my distance targets and therefore collect my $2000 from Henry this spring.

August 3, 2011:
hjs wrote: Remember the bet I made and won a few years back
You were betting on nothin', Henry. I was working on technique and not even preparing to race.
--snip--You bet that, without preparing for it, I would row 6:40, and I pulled 6:41. Good goin', dude.
Notice Ranger's rewriting of history here. Ranger now has Henry losing the bet. According to Ranger, Henry bet that Ranger would row 6:40 and since Ranger rowed 6:41 Henry lost the bet.

dennish
500m Poster

Post by dennish » August 3rd, 2011, 3:48 pm

Ah crap! I was alerted by a friend that The pathological one was lying about me again. I will return all the medals I have won rowing on the water immediately (masters natioals included) since I apparently have never rowed on the water. Who knew? Sure felt like I was rowing on the water but then the LIAR knows everything. dennis

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » August 3rd, 2011, 3:51 pm

ranger wrote:
No reason to speculate at this late date.

I'll be doing a FM trial pretty soon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very definitive here ... pretty soon ... :?:

Boy, will you set us straight.... pretty soon... Just like '06-'10 :lol:

Syntax suggests mind-altering subject... The sauce comes earlier and earlier, doesn't it, Juice Lady?