Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ranger
Marathon Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by ranger » July 15th, 2011, 8:40 am

Back in 2003, rowing poorly at max drag, I used to pull 1:54 @ 24 spm (9.5 SPI).

That's why, back then, I pulled a FM @ 1:54.

Rowing well at low drag, at these moderate rates (24 spm, etc.), I am now eight seconds per 500m better.

Nice!

Much more effective.

Much more efficient.

65 watts

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » July 15th, 2011, 9:05 am

ranger wrote:
PaulH wrote:
ranger wrote: For people of this sort, like me, preparing to race OTErg is a no-brainer.
And yet after sharpening for 7 weeks (when you say only 6 is necessary) you couldn't get it done. What do you think it says about your coach that you're not even able to complete "no-brainers"?
No, as I have said, since 2003, I haven't completed even one 2K predictor.
Correct - you tried and failed to sharpen, something which is a "no-brainer" to do.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » July 15th, 2011, 9:14 am

Given my short little lightweight legs, at 12 SPI and 24 spm, I am in _at least_ a 4-to-1 ratio.

My drive time is not much more than .5 seconds.

No one needs to row in a ratio that is bigger than 4-to-1--for _any_ purpose.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » July 15th, 2011, 9:17 am

PaulH wrote:Correct - you tried and failed to sharpen, something which is a "no-brainer" to do.
I was still working on technique, and anyway, had not done distance trials, which should precede faster pre-race sharpening.

Things are coming along fine now, though.

I have been doing distance rowing for quite a while.

And I am now ready for distance trials.

I am no longer working on technique.

My work on technique is complete.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » July 15th, 2011, 9:18 am

I don't have any interest in sharpening at 10 SPI, the sort of thing that Roy is going to do.

Why row badly?

ranger

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » July 15th, 2011, 9:20 am

ranger wrote:
PaulH wrote:Correct - you tried and failed to sharpen, something which is a "no-brainer" to do.
I was still working on technique, and anyway, had not done distance trials, which should precede faster pre-race sharpening.
I checked with you over and over at the time, as did others, and you were absolutely clear that you were actually, properly sharpening, without condition or qualification. And, it turns out, you failed in that, something that is a "no-brainer".

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 15th, 2011, 9:36 am

ranger wrote:I suspect that this FM rowing I am doing, 1:46 @ 24 spm (12 SPI), is just Level 3 rowing in the Wolverine Plan.

ranger
I suspect you're lying again.

You aren't able to row 5K @ 1:46 @ 24spm, what makes you suspect you could continue that for nearly eight and a half times that distance?

Also why mention the Wolverine plan, your unstructured random (ten minutes at most, between forum posts) rowing doesn't run to any plan? I suspect you've never read the Wolverine Plan, let alone understood the rationale behind it.

Flipper21
500m Poster

Post by Flipper21 » July 15th, 2011, 9:38 am

Truly is an episode of 'Kentucky Fried Movie'

KevJGK
2k Poster

Post by KevJGK » July 15th, 2011, 9:40 am

ranger wrote:Date?

I haven't picked any date.
What a friggin surprise!
Kevin
500m 01:33.5 Jun 2010 - 2K 06:59.5 Nov 2009 - 5K 19:08.4 Jan 2011

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 15th, 2011, 10:00 am

ranger wrote:I am no longer working on technique.

My work on technique is complete.
Post a video.

I'd like to be amazed at your current technique. Have you fixed all the faults? Have you stopped appearing like a praying mantis? Have you stopped hauling anchor?

We need today's video - we need to see this "complete technique".

A bit of video of you futzing about in your boat on the lake would do, if you don't want to post video of your erging.

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » July 15th, 2011, 10:09 am

PaulH wrote:
ranger wrote:
I checked with you over and over at the time, as did others, and you were absolutely clear that you were actually, properly sharpening, without condition or qualification. And, it turns out, you failed in that, something that is a "no-brainer".
Remember last September Fucko? You were going to be sharpening for SIX months. Everthing was "fixed" blah,blah,blah. I bet Roy stating his intent has made your alleged hours on your erg that little bit more uncomfortable. How will Von ManBatt react? Im going for a general bellitling of Roy's achievements followed by a grand crescendo of about half a dozen bitchy ,drunken posts in a row in early January saying he isnt going to Boston because he has already won (remember that one kids?) and to actually compete would be pointless. Ah Ranger? He is the soap opera that keeps on giving. Day after day. Year after year.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » July 15th, 2011, 10:17 am

ranger wrote: My FM trials will set my targets (for 2k)
This contention is perhaps the most egregious examples of ranger-training stupidity.

Take note:
The "FM",
42,195 meter rowing, has next to nothing to do with 2000 meter rowing.
The FM (without beaks) is overkill. Any 2k rower would get a better training effect out of 4 x 20' /2'r....

What gives me the right to say this? I have the hour record for 55-59 year-old lwts.... done w/o a FM row. I do not have any 2k records.... We might conclude that I need to work on speed rather than over-distance...

As it stands:
ranger loves hiding behind obscure over-distance mark and abstruse random theories about training. I love it! It's so weirdly entertaining.
A little ranger-factor added to each day's boredom is truly called for :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the whacko-world of TSO and his clownish troll-banter! Sit back and enjoy...
No training necessary; void where prohibited.....

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » July 15th, 2011, 10:50 am

Rocket Roy wrote:
For God's sake stop spouting nonsense and get real man!!

So for how many years have people been saying this? I am sure you are saying this in jest and never expect it to really happen. If it did we would not have the constant reminder of what mental illness is really all about
JD

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » July 15th, 2011, 11:03 am

jliddil wrote:
Rocket Roy wrote:
ranger wrote:
For God's sake stop spouting nonsense and get real man!!
So for how many years have people been saying this? I am sure you are saying this in jest and never expect it to really happen. If it did we would not have the constant reminder of what mental illness is really all about
Check your quotes with the preview button before you post the message. That way you can avoid messing it up like you did that one.

Bob S.

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » July 15th, 2011, 11:09 am

Good point Bob - keeping things fair, if you do that again jliddil you'll get a ban, just like others on this thread would.