January Weight Loss Challenge To All Ducks

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 4th, 2006, 6:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 3 2006, 11:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 3 2006, 11:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey Rubber Duckie<br /><br />I have the same aversion to the lap band procedure.  Surely I can make this (WW)work.  But I'll be honest - one of my Dr.s does want me to have it done as they think that is my only hope.  I've been on Prednisone for 7 years so I have problems that they don't think I'll be able to beat but I think differently.  I also pray a lot.    I am trying to wean my steroids one fourth of a milligram every 3 weeks and so far so good.  I've been at it for about 8 months. <br />As far as getting sore after a row, it sounds crazy to me but my KNEES are the sorest part on me (well, my rear-end is running a close second).  Maybe some of the veteran rowers can shed some light on that one.  <br />I'm getting very close to a half a million meters (lifetime) and that sounded great until I started looking at just seasonal meters for a lot of the rowers - Incredible!!<br />I must not be doing something right     <br />Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hi Mimi: Well, I can tell you FER SURE that if you stick to the plan, WW will work for you. But everybody's metabolism is DIFFERENT, and sometimes it takes several weeks for the first drop in poundage... think that's where ROWING comes in.<br /><br />Can't advise you on your knees... somebody here who is a more experienced rower than I am can help with that perhaps... but the only advice I CAN give you about your knees is NOT TO HYPEREXTEND THEM, meaniing "pop" them out totally straight. You want straight legs but not so straight you strain your knees.<br /><br />As to the Lap Band thing... my sister had one put in and has lost nearly 75 pounds in a year.. BUT her nutrition is abysmal, she is constipated all the time because you can't get that much fiber with the band in... but it does work.<br /><br />Just not for me! I'm sticking to the Erg.<br /><br />Hang in there! Rubber Ducky

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 4th, 2006, 11:37 pm

I just finished rowing my meters - rowed a little over 7600 - pretty good for me. I checked my knees and I'm not pushing too hard but I caught myself hyperextending them a LOT. So I'll work on that. Also, I tried to schedule a water break and I couldn't get it to work and my manual is gone. I have a P2(?). I know how to schedule meters or time but could not get it to recognize a rest and then pick up again. I'm assuming that is what it is supposed to do. Had a fun time rowing while watching the Rose Bowl Mimi

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 4th, 2006, 11:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 4 2006, 03:36 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 4 2006, 03:36 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Can't advise you on your knees... somebody here who is a more experienced rower than I am can help with that perhaps... but the only advice I CAN give you about your knees is NOT TO HYPEREXTEND THEM, meaniing "pop" them out totally straight. You want straight legs but not so straight you strain your knees.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm not an expert either, but I would watch out for the other extreme, too. Don't bend your knees too much - keep your shins vertical.<br /><br />I was focusing on this myself today, and I do think my knees were less annoyed than after previous work-outs. I also added a little more forward lean at the hips (at the catch), and my back got very tired.<br /><br />Schenley<br />

[old] jannabanana

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jannabanana » January 4th, 2006, 11:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Leena+Jan 4 2006, 01:24 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leena @ Jan 4 2006, 01:24 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey everyone. I've decided to go back on WW to get myself into better shape for when I go back on the water. I'm sick of my tummy getting in the way of the oar I've lost two pounds so far! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Congrats on the two pound loss, Leena! Keep it up!<br />yours truly,<br />slightly jealous janna <br /><br />ps I was really doing good today... good on calories consumed, and rowed 5k after work...until I accidentally ate three cookies. dang it! <br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 5th, 2006, 12:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 4 2006, 11:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 4 2006, 11:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just finished rowing my meters - rowed a little over 7600 - pretty good for me.  I checked my knees and I'm not pushing too hard but I caught myself hyperextending them a LOT.  So I'll work on that.  Also, I tried to schedule a water break and I couldn't get it to work and my manual is gone.  I have a P2(?).  I know how to schedule meters or time but could not get it to recognize a rest and then pick up again.  I'm assuming that is what it is supposed to do.  Had a fun time rowing while watching the Rose Bowl     Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Check out the C2 website, Mimi--I think they have most all of their manuals online that you can either print out or save as a file. Nice job on the meters! And doing it while watching TV helps, hey? <br /><br />--Jen

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » January 5th, 2006, 2:29 am

Surely I can make this (WW)work.<br /><br />Let me be a WW saleswoman. Mimi, I really believe WW works. I lost 55 lbs. on it a couple of years ago & quit to invest my weekly fee into a gym membership. Half of the pounds came back before I started back to the meetings. I've lost 18 pounds this time so far. It is a sensible lifestyle - not just a diet. (A diet seems like a short term thing you do when you want to drop a few pounds after the holidays or something.) If you're like me - starting out 100 pounds over an ideal weight - it has to be something deeper if I expect the pounds to stay gone. Actually, I would not mind getting to the point where all I'd have to do is go on a diet for a month every year to get back to my goal weight! <br /><br />Of course, the rowing is an important part of the program for me. Check me out on the C2 Web Site: <a href='http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/rowerslikeu.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/05/rower/rowerslikeu.asp</a><br /><br />Good luck & keep it up!<br />Robin

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 5th, 2006, 6:21 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 4 2006, 11:37 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 4 2006, 11:37 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just finished rowing my meters - rowed a little over 7600 - pretty good for me.  I checked my knees and I'm not pushing too hard but I caught myself hyperextending them a LOT.  So I'll work on that.  Also, I tried to schedule a water break and I couldn't get it to work and my manual is gone.  I have a P2(?).  I know how to schedule meters or time but could not get it to recognize a rest and then pick up again.  I'm assuming that is what it is supposed to do.  Had a fun time rowing while watching the Rose Bowl     Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />WOW, MIMI!! Way to go!!! You are doing great... that's a lot of meters! Those pounds should start rolling off. Keep up the good work.

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 5th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Schenley, Can't bend MY knees too much because of this appendage protruding from my midsection - I'll get it off!<br />Jen, I went to search and typed in PM2 and the top site was the perfect one. It took me step by step and I learned that my little PM2 does a whole lot more than just record time and meters Thanks for the prod in the right direction.<br />Robin, I think you are totally cool. Liked your picture on the C2 website <br />And you're right - it is a lifestyle, not a diet. I did not have a weight problem until I started dieting in my early 20's (because I could not wear a size 10). I was lose in a 12. Dieting is crazy. <br />Rubber Ducky, Thanks for the encouragement - I was going to skip tonight because I just ate Mexican but I think I'll row. Mimi<br /><br /><br />

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 5th, 2006, 10:07 pm

LOL, Mimi - you can do it! I think you also just started. I started rowing on 12/27/05, and I'm already impatiently looking for results. I'm trying to plan my workouts a few days in advance and then stick to it. Today was a non-erg work-out (Curves); tomorrow will be a cleaning and cooking day because we are having a dinner guest. Sat & Sun will be erg days. At least, that's the plan. I'm so glad I've found this forum to keep me motivated.<br /><br />Schenley

[old] Mimi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mimi » January 5th, 2006, 11:53 pm

O.K. - I just finished my meters (5616 this time) and I'm pooped. The Mexican is still sitting a little heavy Thanks again, Rubber Ducky<br />Schenley, A friend of mine goes to Curves pretty regular and loves it. She's been a regular for over a year so it must be a really good program. She had Gastric ByPass and after she was able, she joined Curves. It's making a difference, combined with the eating program her Dr.s put her on. She said the surgery helps a lot but her head is still fat. She still fights it. I'm with you - this forum is great!! <br /><br />Mimi<br />

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 6th, 2006, 12:44 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 5 2006, 08:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 5 2006, 08:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> The Mexican is still sitting a little heavy   </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mexican will do that. Good for you for working through it. I hate working out after dinner.<br /><br />I've almost reached my 1 yr anniv. at Curves. I joined just after MLK day last yr. I think the Curves work-out and rowing will complement each other really well.<br /><br />Schenley

[old] newmoon-rising

Women's Forum

Post by [old] newmoon-rising » January 6th, 2006, 1:47 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jannabanana+Dec 31 2005, 07:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jannabanana @ Dec 31 2005, 07:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All!<br />I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and I'm interested in joining the January Challenge as well.  I'm 48 and menopause is kicking my butt - lack of energy, hot flashes, weight gain, depression, no joy.  But I really do feel better if I stay active.  I have to keep telling myself that, and fight the urge to collapse on the couch!  <br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Janna,<br />Hang in there! I've been going through the meno thing for 10 years and I understand what you're feeling. It does get better! Honest! You're doing the best thing by staying active and trying to keep yourself going. It does help a lot.<br /><br />Beth

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » January 6th, 2006, 2:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Mimi+Jan 5 2006, 05:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Mimi @ Jan 5 2006, 05:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I did not have a weight problem until I started dieting in my early 20's (because I could not wear a size 10).  I was lose in a 12.  Dieting is crazy.  <br />Rubber Ducky, Thanks for the encouragement - I was going to skip tonight because I just ate Mexican but I think I'll row.  Mimi <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />So I'm not the only one! Tried my first diet at age 17--didn't need it then, but everyone else was doing it--and never did get a good balance on things long term. Most diets set me up for cravings, so the last several years I'm finally taking stock for myself for what works and what doesn't, for me. So I'm learning to take it easier on myself but not give up either.<br /><br />Anyway, I've been traveling for a few days, forgot my pencil and was too busy (read:at the mercy of someone else's schedule) to replace it so lost almost two days of calorie tracking, but I did manage to get in long brisk walks 2 out of 4 days, and make better menu selections at restaurants (seafood--yum!), only all the chocolate I got for Christmas was tempting but I've gotten much better at sharing.<br /><br />I'm really looking forward to rowing again tomorrow. I have been eager to get this weight loss challenge underway and enjoyed catching up on everyone's progress now that I'm back home.<br /><br />Margaret

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 6th, 2006, 9:36 am

<!--QuoteBegin-newmoon-rising+Jan 6 2006, 01:47 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(newmoon-rising @ Jan 6 2006, 01:47 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jannabanana+Dec 31 2005, 07:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jannabanana @ Dec 31 2005, 07:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hello All!<br />I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and I'm interested in joining the January Challenge as well.  I'm 48 and menopause is kicking my butt - lack of energy, hot flashes, weight gain, depression, no joy.  But I really do feel better if I stay active.  I have to keep telling myself that, and fight the urge to collapse on the couch!  <br /><br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Janna,<br />Hang in there! I've been going through the meno thing for 10 years and I understand what you're feeling. It does get better! Honest! You're doing the best thing by staying active and trying to keep yourself going. It does help a lot.<br /><br />Beth <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Oh, yea, I remember menopause! You spring chickens are just in for the beginning of the fun ride.. actually, the symptoms do alleivate but your metabolism does forever slow down. <br /><br />That's where the ROWING comes in, Duckies! I think the "amount of calories burned" that the Concept2 shows after rowing is a conservative number, based on someone who weighs less than I do... but it STILL adds up. <br /><br />Mim and Jana and Everyone is doing GREAT!

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 6th, 2006, 9:43 am

NEWSFLASH: Rubber Ducky lost 1.5 pounds this week!<br /><br />Our WW leader used to say: "If you don't think losing ONE POUND is much, go into a supermarket, walk over to the Meat section, and pick up a pound of hamburger. Hold it in your hands. .that's how much fat you lost."<br /><br />GO DUCKS!!