January Weight Loss Challenge To All Ducks

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » December 30th, 2005, 3:49 am

I am very interested in joining this challenge. I have already joined the Fowl Play virtual team for January. <br /><br />I am in Weight Watchers and have recently changed from the Flex Plan (point counting) to the Core Plan (focuses on eating a “core” list of foods, eating only when hungry and only until satisfied). Since changing to the Core Plan and participating in the Holiday Challenge I lost five pounds in December. However, I have decided that I need to kick it up another notch because I expect January will be a special challenge for me. <br /><br />I have been in WW since August 2004 and have still not lost my 10%. The first WW goal is to lose 10% of your starting weight. At the recommended 1-2 pound loss per week, I should have hit that goal by at least January 2005. I was going slowly when I started using the C2 in October and had my best weight loss. But then my mother was diagnosed with cancer and died in mid-January. Then I started planning her memorial service, etc. The short version of the story is that every time I get close to my 10%, I sabotage my efforts somehow. I am now 3 ½ pounds away from my 10% goal (again). I am on the right track (again). But, given my history, if I can lose 5 pounds in January, you guys will be due many thanks!<br /><br />What I will do is continue on the Core Plan and row an average of 5000 meters a day in January. I will do my best to make Fowl Play the winning team!!<br /><br />Thank you for the added motivation and accountability. If this doesn’t work, nothing will!<br /><br />Hopefully,<br />Robin<br />

[old] tigger2esq

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tigger2esq » December 30th, 2005, 12:31 pm

I have a goal to get below 150. (I am 5'7") well my "real" goal is not actually weight related--more size... I have this awesome pair of pants that I want to fit back into. they are a small 10--so I am shooting for that 8/10 range. (I am currently 10/12) . I tend to avoid weighing myself. <br /><br />before I got pregnant I was a fit 145 (although I would have like to have gone to 140, I was working out regluarly with a trainer and had some serious muscle) and could fit into size 8's. I am now back to baggy 10s and 12s. ugh. I put on 38 pounds with baby. <br /><br />Post baby I got as low as 151-152 but always seem to slingshot back for one reason or another (stress, unhealthy eating, lack of exercise etc.) I find if I dont have a goal I am working towards (like my high school reunion LAST thanksgiving) I slip back into my old habits pretty quickly. <br /><br />my dd is ow 2.5 so I dont have her as an excuse any more!<br /><br />last month I weighed in at the doctors at 162 and almost cried. after the holiday challenge I discovered I am closer to 155 so I dont have that far to go--I just need focus and motivation. this challenge should really help!!!<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 30th, 2005, 12:54 pm

Hey Renee!<br /><br />Nice jump on the weight loss plan! It probably felt pretty good to show that drop in numbers, especially with all the holiday feasting. The C2 Holiday Challenge is a blessing in that regard. And seven pounds is a good number--most folks can't lose more than 2 pounds per week without losing some muscle mass, and the goal is to drop the fat, not the lean, right? Are some clothing things fitting better?<br /><br />Hopefully that January Virtual Team Challenge will keep ya going! <br /><br />And Robin!<br /><br />Glad to hear from your other post that you're feeling better, even though you may not be fully up to snuff yet.<br /><br />We'll do our best to get you to that 10% goal, girl! I'll keep nipping at you with my beak if I have to, quack! quack! Like you said, putting this all in writing and making the public committment helps. <br /><br />I'm still stuck at my 37-40 pounds, and I wanna bust out of that plateau. At least I'm lucky that I didn't gain anything, considering all the holiday garbage I ate this last month. So Jan 1st, first thing in the morning, I'll weigh myself for the baseline, and we'll be off! We'll hafta row our little ol' tailfeathers off for both the weight challenge AND the JVTC, hey?<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » December 30th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Count me in!! <br /><br />Since I began rowing 4K daily before Thanksgiving, I notice my pants are REALLY REALLY loose and my husband says my face looks thinner.<br /><br />BUT I am AFRAID to weigh myself... I've built a lot of muscle.. doesn't muscle weigh more than fat:<br /><br />At any rate, I resolve to:<br /><br />1. Row to the January's Duck challenge with dedication<br /><br />2. Write down what I eat, and eat MINDFULLY<br /><br />3. Follow the MOSTLY FRESH FRUITS AND VEGES and some PROTIEN rule, shunning ALL fast food, junk food, and fried food<br /><br />4. TRY to keep my chocoloate intake under control.<br /><br />See you on the thin side, Ducks and Duckettes! Rubber Ducky.<br />

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » December 30th, 2005, 5:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 16 2005, 10:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 16 2005, 10:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Okay, Margaret, I'll go for it!<br /><br />I'll probably try to do what I mentioned in some of my other posts and what you touched on in your post:  <br /><br />Starting January 1st, I'll decrease calories and/or row (or some other exercise) to equal a loss of 500 calories per day, which over 7 days will equal 3500 calories or enough to lose one pound.  <br /><br />If DIAR does the January Virtual Team Challenge, I pledge to the best of my ability to row at least 5 days per week (I'm currently doing 5 or 6 days/wk) for that, except in cases of illness.  I also want to keep doing my yoga DVD at least 3 times/week.<br /><br />I'll limit myself to one    can of soda pop per day, which will help my goal stated in the above paragraph.  Instead of pop, I'll drink LaCroix, hot or iced tea, coffee, milk and more water.  I've done this before, so I know I can do it--it's a matter of habit.<br /><br />And some other things--I'll not eat any food in front of the computer or when I'm reading.  I'll focus on the food to more thoroughly *experience* the food.  I'll eat veggies 3 times per day and fruit 2 times per day (my serving sizes, forget the pyramid  )  <br /><br />Good idea about the better quality fats, too, Margaret.  I'll read more labels again.  I use olive oil and peanut oil, but I splurge with real butter on my homemade bread.  Fortunately, I don't use very much, because homemade bread is usually good enough on its own.  I usually use at least half whole grains in my bread, sometimes more.  I usually make my own homemade yogurt too, and in the last year, I've used it in almost all of my recipes to substitute for sour cream.  I've found I even like it better on baked potatoes than s.c.  <br /><br />Small changes--if I get overwhelmed, I'll be less likely to make these changes a habit, so we'll start here.  I really think the soda pop will make the biggest impact for me.  <br /><br />Anyway, these things should be good enough for at least one pound per week.<br /><br />Ok, I've publically committed to it now!    <br /><br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » December 30th, 2005, 5:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 16 2005, 10:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 16 2005, 10:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Okay, Margaret, I'll go for it!<br /><br />I'll probably try to do what I mentioned in some of my other posts and what you touched on in your post:  <br /><br />Starting January 1st, I'll decrease calories and/or row (or some other exercise) to equal a loss of 500 calories per day, which over 7 days will equal 3500 calories or enough to lose one pound.  <br /><br />If DIAR does the January Virtual Team Challenge, I pledge to the best of my ability to row at least 5 days per week (I'm currently doing 5 or 6 days/wk) for that, except in cases of illness.  I also want to keep doing my yoga DVD at least 3 times/week.<br /><br />I'll limit myself to one    can of soda pop per day, which will help my goal stated in the above paragraph.  Instead of pop, I'll drink LaCroix, hot or iced tea, coffee, milk and more water.  I've done this before, so I know I can do it--it's a matter of habit.<br /><br />And some other things--I'll not eat any food in front of the computer or when I'm reading.  I'll focus on the food to more thoroughly *experience* the food.  I'll eat veggies 3 times per day and fruit 2 times per day (my serving sizes, forget the pyramid  )  <br /><br />Good idea about the better quality fats, too, Margaret.  I'll read more labels again.  I use olive oil and peanut oil, but I splurge with real butter on my homemade bread.  Fortunately, I don't use very much, because homemade bread is usually good enough on its own.  I usually use at least half whole grains in my bread, sometimes more.  I usually make my own homemade yogurt too, and in the last year, I've used it in almost all of my recipes to substitute for sour cream.  I've found I even like it better on baked potatoes than s.c.  <br /><br />Small changes--if I get overwhelmed, I'll be less likely to make these changes a habit, so we'll start here.  I really think the soda pop will make the biggest impact for me.  <br /><br />Anyway, these things should be good enough for at least one pound per week.<br /><br />Ok, I've publically committed to it now!    <br /><br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Jen: GO GIRL GO!! I have recently learned that the Aspartamine in diet soda may be what keeps us from losing weight. It blocks metabolic resopnse; I DROPPED IT LIKE A BAD HABIT, and substituted either organic, no additive colas (expensive but good) from the Health Food store, or seltzer water. Also, Aspartamine is said to cauase headaches...and maybe brain tumors! That should motivate you. Here are some links to read more about it, <a href='http://www.rense.com/general3/asper.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.rense.com/general3/asper.htm</a> <a href='http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html' target='_blank'>http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-si ... tml</a><br /><a href='http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/symptoms.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartam ... oms.htm</a> SURE the big box companies say NO WAY, THIS IS AN URBAN MYTH, but if that's true... why are we all so addicted to soda??? Good luck in the challenges! Rubber Ducky.<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 30th, 2005, 11:15 pm

Jen: GO GIRL GO!! I have recently learned that the Aspartamine in diet soda may be what keeps us from losing weight. It blocks metabolic resopnse; I DROPPED IT LIKE A BAD HABIT, and substituted either organic, no additive colas (expensive but good) from the Health Food store, or seltzer water. Also, Aspartamine is said to cauase headaches...and maybe brain tumors! That should motivate you. Here are some links to read more about it, <a href='http://www.rense.com/general3/asper.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.rense.com/general3/asper.htm</a> <a href='http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html' target='_blank'>http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-si ... tml</a><br /><a href='http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/symptoms.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartam ... oms.htm</a> SURE the big box companies say NO WAY, THIS IS AN URBAN MYTH, but if that's true... why are we all so addicted to soda??? Good luck in the challenges! Rubber Ducky. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey Rubber Ducky!<br /><br />Thanks for the info on the Nutrasweet stuff (I can't pronounce the other name for it! ). That certainly explains why I'd get a headache if I drank more than half a can of the soda with that stuff in it. And I fer shure don't need any brain tumors--I'm wacky enough without them. I'll check out those links.<br /><br />Do you remember reading anyting about fructose (a common sweetener in drinks and foods) contributing to weight gain?? Something about the way it's metabolized in the system...Susan, aka Wood Duck, might know.....<br /><br />--Jen<br /><br />

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » December 31st, 2005, 2:35 am

I agree aspartame/nutrasweet is not a good option. A friend's doctor told her she was better off drinking soda with the sugar because of health concerns with what the body converts aspartame into. I switched to coffee & tea because they are still more satisfying than water. Even sweetened they have far fewer calories than soda, a teaspoon of sugar is after all only 15 calories compared to 140-160 in a can of soda. Plus, the soda was beginning to make my teeth feel like they were eroding away.<br /><br />Fructose is the kind of sugar found in fruit. To my knowledge it is more easily digestible than sucrose, but otherwise not that different. Perhaps it tastes sweeter per calorie.<br /><br />Another option for sweetening tea is an herbal extract called Stevia. I first tried baking with it but hated the results. Lately, I tried it with lemon tea to soothe a sore throat and that tasted fine. It has no calories. I found it in a health food store but you might be able to find it in a grocery store in the "natural foods" section.<br /><br />OK, I'm mentally psyching up. I've barely exercised since the 24th between keeping my kids occupied and wet weather, but I won't let those excuses slide into the new year. Our rower is under a carport, and the wet is encroaching, so it may feel like I'm actually on (or rather in) the water, but that beats sitting inside all day.<br /><br />Let's row!<br /><br />Margaret

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 31st, 2005, 11:21 am

Yuppers! Time to get psyched for the start of the weight loss challenge and the JVTC! <br /><br />Here are some suggestions I have (feel free to add anything, anybody!):<br /><br />Weigh yourself first thing January 1st. Don't weigh more often than once a week if you can stand it. Remember that the dang ol' scale can only tell you so much. Might be even better if you got a tape measure and measured chest, waist, hips, thighs, upper arms. Maybe even take a "before" picture?? A picture might not help much with only a 4-8# weight loss, but you could always use it for later. Remember Krysta's (Swamp Hen) "before and after" post!<br /><br />Print out your action plan (what you posted to this thread as the steps you want to take to help you lose the 4-8# this month) and place it somewhere so you can review it daily. DAILY. At least.<br /><br />Review what the other folks have posted to get some ideas to use for yourself. We have lots of great brains here, so let's use them all! As a group, we'll be that much better because of it.<br /><br />Remember to not beat yourself up if you mess up on one day...just "get back to the plan as soon as ya can."<br /><br />Check in and participate on this board regularly for questions, feedback, encouragement, kicks in the tailfeathers , whatever you need to keep you on track. I firmly believe that what goes around, comes around--if we can keep each other lifted up, we can keep ourselves lifted up as well! <br /><br />WE CAN DO THIS! <br />GO DUCKS AND ADOPTED DUCKS!!<br /><br />And Happy New Year to All

[old] jannabanana

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jannabanana » December 31st, 2005, 11:41 am

Hello All!<br />I've enjoyed reading all your posts, and I'm interested in joining the January Challenge as well. I'm 48 and menopause is kicking my butt - lack of energy, hot flashes, weight gain, depression, no joy. But I really do feel better if I stay active. I have to keep telling myself that, and fight the urge to collapse on the couch! <br /><br />I completed the Holiday Challenge, and the January Virtual Weight Loss Challenge sounds like a great way to stay motivated. I've gained about 15 pounds over the last year, and I'm determined to turn that trend around in 2006 and lose at least 10 pounds. <br /><br />Thinking about joining weight watchers as well, although I hate to spend the $$ for it, because I know what it takes to lose the weight, if I can just stay with the program. I know smaller portions, no desserts, no alcohol (okay, a glass of wine occassionally) and avoiding those comfort foods that I love so much - cheesey mexican food, french fries, and cookies- will make it happen. More fruits and veggies and regular exercise. I don't have a soda habit, just a coffee habit that I can't even think about giving up! However, I've been using Nutrasweet in my coffee instead of sugar, may switch back to sugar after reading the posts below.<br /><br />Thanks for the motivation from the group. Looking forward to the challenge - and to a new year! Happy New Year and keep rowing! <br />j

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » December 31st, 2005, 1:08 pm

I’m joining the January challenge. I’ve been eating right for a year or two, then last summer I lost 15 pounds. I haven’t lost anything since September, so it’s about time I did. I’ve also gone down 3 clothes sizes, I think that’s due to the rowing. <br /><br />This is what I do/don’t do (in fairly random order)<br /><br />DO exercise 6 days out of 7, drink once cup of coffee a day, one cup of peppermint tea a day, lots of reverse osmosis water all day long, no other drinks, eat salads and meat mainly<br /><br />DON’T eat pork, crab, shellfish, prawns etc, microwave cook, eat wheat products, eat soy, artificial sweeteners<br /><br />LIMIT dairy products, sugar products<br /><br />Generally I follow Dr Mercola, with a few exceptions. His plan can be found here <a href='http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index2.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index2.htm</a> I think Mercola is better than Weight Watchers because he is concerned with total health and not just losing weight. <br /><br /><br />Tina

[old] rspenger

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rspenger » December 31st, 2005, 1:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-billandmargaret+Dec 30 2005, 11:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(billandmargaret @ Dec 30 2005, 11:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fructose is the kind of sugar found in fruit.  To my knowledge it is more easily digestible than sucrose, but otherwise not that different.  Perhaps it tastes  sweeter per calorie.<br />Margaret <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Fructose is a simple sugar (a monosaccharide) like glucose. Sucrose is double sugar (disaccharide), as is lactose, and it is broken down (with the addition of one unit of water - hydrolysis) to glucose and fructose. Fructose is definitely observed to be sweeter per calorie than either glucose or sucrose, but it is still in the same ballpark. Invert sugar, found in honey, is a mixture of fructose and glucose from the breakdown of sucrose and this combination is observed to be sweeter than the original sucrose - thus the supposed advantage of honey (which may or may not be enhanced by traces of possibly beneficial impurities). When glucose is metabolized, it is converted (phosporylated) to an alternate form and that alternate form of glucose is rearranged (isomerised) to a similar alternate form of fructose before it goes on through the metabolic process, eventually yielding energy. I don't know how the body handles fructose when it is ingested directly.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Bob S.<br />

[old] kit44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kit44 » December 31st, 2005, 3:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rspenger+Dec 31 2005, 12:18 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rspenger @ Dec 31 2005, 12:18 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-billandmargaret+Dec 30 2005, 11:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(billandmargaret @ Dec 30 2005, 11:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Fructose is the kind of sugar found in fruit.  To my knowledge it is more easily digestible than sucrose, but otherwise not that different.  Perhaps it tastes  sweeter per calorie.<br />Margaret <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Fructose is a simple sugar (a monosaccharide) like glucose. Sucrose is double sugar (disaccharide), as is lactose, and it is broken down (with the addition of one unit of water - hydrolysis) to glucose and fructose. Fructose is definitely observed to be sweeter per calorie than either glucose or sucrose, but it is still in the same ballpark. Invert sugar, found in honey, is a mixture of fructose and glucose from the breakdown of sucrose and this combination is observed to be sweeter than the original sucrose - thus the supposed advantage of honey (which may or may not be enhanced by traces of possibly beneficial impurities). When glucose is metabolized, it is converted (phosporylated) to an alternate form and that alternate form of glucose is rearranged (isomerised) to a similar alternate form of fructose before it goes on through the metabolic process, eventually yielding energy. I don't know how the body handles fructose when it is ingested directly.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Bob S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Here's an article on fructose if you're interested. <a href='http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/5/fructose.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/5/fructose.htm</a><br /><br />I'd heard also that food manufacturers were switching to fructose as a sweetener, and that while it sounded good on paper, all sorts of nasty things seem to have arisen from it. I happen to be fructose intolerant, so I am very aware of the increased sweetness in most manufactured food. <br />Sadly, the best course to take is to somehow wean yourself off the need for sugar - but the big sugar companies have spent years increasing the sweetness (if not necessarily the sugar) in processed foods - making me and those like me the lucky ones, I guess, (though it sucks that I can no longer eat store-bought bread, boxed cereal other than Shredded Wheat and oatmeal, or most brands of crackers - though 30 years ago, I could!) and leaving the other 99% of the population hopelessly addicted. <br /><br />Kit<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 31st, 2005, 3:44 pm

Thanks Kit and BobS!<br /><br />I did a little research myself on some of the medical sites and found 2 things about fructose: <br /><br />One is that fructose seems to make symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) worse for many people. The other thing is that it seems to be metabolized in such a way as to favor fat deposition in mice (and therefore, possibly humans as well). <br /><br />A study in a 2005 issue of <i>Obesity Research</i> indicated that the study mice who drank water sweetened with fructose (compared to ones who drank diet pop and non-fructose sweetened pop) gained about 8 grams each (the others gained less than 5 grams). They all started out at about 39 grams. Fructose mice gained about 11% body fat (and this was even though the mousies decreased the amount of their regular food!), sucrose gained 7-8%, plain water gained 5%. What's that saying about water??<br /><br />Anyway, here's the reference: Jurgens, H. <i>Obesity Research</i>, July 2005; vol 13: 1146-1156.<br /><br />And I read the article on Medscape.com, and another article about how fructose can create a hormonal response that favors weight gain was on WebMD as well: <a href='http://www.webmd.com/content/article/88/99937.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.webmd.com/content/article/88 ... htm</a><br /><br />Fructose can also be found in some corn syrups, too. It's in a LOT of stuff now, so poor Kit, if you have an intolerance to it, you have to really check those labels, hey?<br /><br />So BobS or Susan H., what's your theory on this??<br /><br />--Jen

[old] rspenger

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rspenger » December 31st, 2005, 4:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 31 2005, 12:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 31 2005, 12:44 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks Kit and BobS!<br />So BobS or Susan H., what's your theory on this??<br />--Jen <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />As I mentioned in my message, I didn't know how fructose is metabolized. I just did a quick Barney on "fructose" and "metabolism" and came up with the following as the first hit:<br /><br /><a href='http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/no ... olism.html' target='_blank'>http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/no ... tml</a><br /><br />It is pretty heavy on the chemistry side, but it does refer to fructose intolerance as being a very serious inherited disorder. It does explain how fructose gets started on its own metabolic pathway, but it is compicated by the fact that there is more than one route. My own background is in organic chemistry and I learned a smattering of biochemistry in order to be better informed about the chemistry of carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids. But I know almost nothing beyond general public knowledge about the actions of various compounds (nutrients, pharmaceuticals, supplements, allergens, etc.) in the body. The web is a marvelous source of information about these items, but it takes a lot of care to steer clear of the websites that are just trying to sell you something.<br /><br />regards,<br /><br />Bob S.