Virtual Team Rowing Challenge – January 2006

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » January 2nd, 2006, 4:55 am

Although the challenge has already started I’m hoping to be able to join up with Fowl Play. I didn’t finish the holiday challenge, but have been doing well with rowing regularly between xmas & new years.

[old] Rhody

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Rhody » January 2nd, 2006, 10:38 am

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Jan 1 2006, 08:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Jan 1 2006, 08:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->QUACK!<br /><br />I just checked the JVTC board, and Capt. Emilia has over 44k posted!  What a start, girl! <br /><br />Go Emilia!<br />GO FOWL PLAY!  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How do you get to the JVTC board? I can't seem to find it.<br />Martha

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 2nd, 2006, 12:07 pm

Log into your Personal Log Book, as if to post your meters for the day, then:<br /><br />1. Click the Orange and Blue link in the top-right corner called TEAMS. <br /><br />2. When the next page pops up, it will show that you are a member of FOWL PLAY, and you can click the TEAM STANDINGS list.<br /><br />A list of all the progress recorded by different teams' members is shown in order of Meters rowed, by default.<br /><br />IF you don't see that you are a member of FOWL PLAY, contact the Captain, something must've slipped through the cracks (HOPEFULLY she's recovered from yesterday's row by now).<br /><br />It's amazing how may meters have already been logged by all teams in this race! Rubber Ducky<br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 2nd, 2006, 1:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LandLocked+Jan 2 2006, 04:55 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LandLocked @ Jan 2 2006, 04:55 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Although the challenge has already started I’m hoping to be able to join up with Fowl Play. I didn’t finish the holiday challenge, but have been doing well with rowing regularly between xmas & new years. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Landlocked!<br /><br />We'd love to have you on Fowl Play! The start to this has been kind of exciting! <br /><br />If you can, try to find a post by Emilia Gan, our team captain. Her handle is "efg." Once you find one of her posts, you can send her a Private Message by clicking on the "PM" in the bottom left corner of the box that contains her post. If you can't connect with her, let me know by replying to this post and I'll forward your request to her. <br /><br />Another option would be to go to main forum page and look for "First Virtual Team Challenge" topic under the "Training, Indoor Rowing" heading. She has a post there with instructions on how to join, and that would also give you one of her posts to PM your request to her. <br /><br />Again, just give a holler here if you can't get her, and I'll sure be happy to have her get a hold of ya!<br /><br />Rowrowrow!<br />--Jen in WI

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » January 2nd, 2006, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the replies & PM’s. I’m getting it sorted out w/ efg now It doesn’t help that I used different email addys there & there. My plan is to follow the weight loss plan on the uk site:<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/booklet.php' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/booklet.php</a><br /><br />I printed it out a while ago and now I’m on week 3. My work schedule changed and I am no longer sleep deprived on a regular basis, my workouts are going much better these days. I’m not promising lots-o-meters, but I’m aiming for regular additions of meters. Also my goal isn’t really weight loss but regular exercise. I figure weight loss will follow of it’s own accord. <br />

[old] writingfool

Women's Forum

Post by [old] writingfool » January 2nd, 2006, 7:02 pm

I hate to ruffle feathers (sorry, but any duck puns I can think of have been used up), but I'm leaving town until Friday and I doubt my hotel will have an erg. I'm definitely inspired by some of the numbers I'm seeing, and will try to do my part when I get back. Happy new year, all.<br /><br />Wendy

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 2nd, 2006, 7:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-writingfool+Jan 2 2006, 07:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(writingfool @ Jan 2 2006, 07:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I hate to ruffle feathers (sorry, but any duck puns I can think of have been used up), but I'm leaving town until Friday and I doubt my hotel will have an erg. I'm definitely inspired by some of the numbers I'm seeing, and will try to do my part when I get back. Happy new year, all.<br /><br />Wendy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />No prob, have a good, safe trip, Wendy! Sometimes taking a good break will give you some extra energy to get a good row later. Any meters that any of us can row is a positive thing, hey? I'm going to stick to my goal of 50k/wk and try to do 200k for the whole thing. I'm hoping I'll get a good second wind of sorts for that last week though...we'll see how things shape up!<br /><br />Happy New Year back atchya! <br />--Jen in WI

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 2nd, 2006, 7:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-LandLocked+Jan 2 2006, 04:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LandLocked @ Jan 2 2006, 04:16 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thanks for the replies & PM’s. I’m getting it sorted out w/ efg now It doesn’t help that I used different email addys there & there. My plan is to follow the weight loss plan on the uk site:<br /><a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/booklet.php' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/weightloss/booklet.php</a><br /><br />I printed it out a while ago and now I’m on week 3. My work schedule changed and I am no longer sleep deprived on a regular basis, my workouts are going much better these days. I’m not promising lots-o-meters, but I’m aiming for regular additions of meters. Also my goal isn’t really weight loss but regular exercise. I figure weight loss will follow of it’s own accord. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br />That C2 UK site has a lot of good info on it. I did most of my weight loss via the exercise route, since I know I'm no good at turning down food. I think the big benefit of this JVTC (as a followup to the Holiday Challenge) is that it will get a lot of us rowing regularly. Two months of regular rowing might help to make this more of a habit for some. And any ol' meters add up to more meters, just like pennies add up to dollars. They'll count no matter what! <br /><br />Happy rowing!<br />--Jen

[old] anneoaks

Women's Forum

Post by [old] anneoaks » January 2nd, 2006, 10:35 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />How do you other duckies do it on these really long hauls? AND.. more importantly... WHAT MUSIC do you listen to for inspiration???<br /><br />Rubber Ducky. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've done a few long hauls and each time it is different....in the last year I have sorted out a number of issues on the erg (just kind of got into a zone and did some thinking) and other times I set the meter and worked on something (intervals, different paces, etc). Most of the people at my gym think I'd be bored to death on the erg since it is far from the tv screens and other pieces of equipment allow the person to read. But, I have grown to consider the time my own "recess" from the rest of life...who says middle age ladies can't enjoy recess as much as we did in elementary school??? <br /><br />As for music, I have several rowing playlists on my ipod and then I use my daughter's ipod some days for variety. Nothing like Britney to get my stroke rate way up and I use her music for 2Ks. I am always searching for good music and trying to get it to match the mood of the workout. <br /><br />Oh, there are days when I am eager to quit...but it feels SO GOOD afterwards.....hang in there and you may be smart to do it in shorter segments when you start. If I had an erg at home, I would probably do that. <br />Welcome!!

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 2nd, 2006, 10:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-anneoaks+Jan 2 2006, 10:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Jan 2 2006, 10:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />How do you other duckies do it on these really long hauls? AND.. more importantly... WHAT MUSIC do you listen to for inspiration???<br /><br />Rubber Ducky. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've done a few long hauls and each time it is different....in the last year I have sorted out a number of issues on the erg (just kind of got into a zone and did some thinking) and other times I set the meter and worked on something (intervals, different paces, etc). Most of the people at my gym think I'd be bored to death on the erg since it is far from the tv screens and other pieces of equipment allow the person to read. But, I have grown to consider the time my own "recess" from the rest of life...who says middle age ladies can't enjoy recess as much as we did in elementary school??? <br /><br />As for music, I have several rowing playlists on my ipod and then I use my daughter's ipod some days for variety. Nothing like Britney to get my stroke rate way up and I use her music for 2Ks. I am always searching for good music and trying to get it to match the mood of the workout. <br /><br />Oh, there are days when I am eager to quit...but it feels SO GOOD afterwards.....hang in there and you may be smart to do it in shorter segments when you start. If I had an erg at home, I would probably do that. <br />Welcome!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » January 2nd, 2006, 10:50 pm

I haven't been rowing seriously for long. I have slowly been lengthening the time I row. Every once in a while I choose to row quite a bit farther than normal (about once every two weeks.) It is really tough for me and I work at saying encouraging things to myself. I always set it up to count down AND I make myself stick to it. Sometimes I have to get up and take a break. Other times, my daughter needs me to get up and help her with something. Fortunately if I use rowpro the PM3 does not time out. (Although it does keep the time counting up.)<br /><br />I also put my times on the Nonathalon site (www.nonathalon.com). That motivates me to row different distances.<br /><br />I listen to books on CD or on my ipod. (www.audible.com) has lots of unabridged and abridged books. I finally figured out what to do with my ipod while rowing yesterday! I put it into one of those passport holders that goes around your neck and under your clothes for travel. It works GREAT!<br /><br />I don't have time to sit and read anymore so I really look forward to what will happen next in my thriller or mystery.<br /><br />Susan aka Wood Duck<br /><br />PS: If anyone is interested in joining audible.com and are interested in listing me as the person who refered you, let me know. You can sign up for different book clubs 1 book a month ($?) or 2 books a month ($22.00). Or just download a book every once in a while with no long term committment.

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » January 2nd, 2006, 10:50 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 2 2006, 10:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 2 2006, 10:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-anneoaks+Jan 2 2006, 10:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Jan 2 2006, 10:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-rhorva@hotmail.com+Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rhorva@hotmail.com @ Jan 1 2006, 03:21 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />How do you other duckies do it on these really long hauls? AND.. more importantly... WHAT MUSIC do you listen to for inspiration???<br /><br />Rubber Ducky. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I've done a few long hauls and each time it is different....in the last year I have sorted out a number of issues on the erg (just kind of got into a zone and did some thinking) and other times I set the meter and worked on something (intervals, different paces, etc). Most of the people at my gym think I'd be bored to death on the erg since it is far from the tv screens and other pieces of equipment allow the person to read. But, I have grown to consider the time my own "recess" from the rest of life...who says middle age ladies can't enjoy recess as much as we did in elementary school??? <br /><br />As for music, I have several rowing playlists on my ipod and then I use my daughter's ipod some days for variety. Nothing like Britney to get my stroke rate way up and I use her music for 2Ks. I am always searching for good music and trying to get it to match the mood of the workout. <br /><br />Oh, there are days when I am eager to quit...but it feels SO GOOD afterwards.....hang in there and you may be smart to do it in shorter segments when you start. If I had an erg at home, I would probably do that. <br />Welcome!! <br /> </td></tr></table> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry, I still don't have the hang of this REPLY to the REPLY thing, it doesn't seem to make sense to me... but maybe its just my DuckBrain at work here.<br /><br />Thanks for your encouragement! I like your metaphor of a "recess from life," that's kind of how I feel about it too. But years ago I was an Aerobic Dance instructor (for Richard Simmons), and got really into that dance-style music. Later on, I was a serious amateur ice skater and more of the same music-wise. <br /><br />My rowing style is starting to cross over into the "silence," and someone suggested a few posts back of "rowing a river." I am thinking about that.. trying to find a map of the Hudson River marked off in Meters. Then, I would do the research on the first 5,000 meters of it and what was there the night before, and "contemplate" the scenery I was virtually passing while I row.<br /><br />There's lots of interesting mental stuff to do while rowing, but I can see how to outsiders it looks boring.. hey, keeps them off the Erg so we can use it!!<br /><br />Happy rowing! Rubber Ducky

[old] tjod

Women's Forum

Post by [old] tjod » January 2nd, 2006, 11:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> "rowing a river." I am thinking about that.. trying to find a map of the Hudson River marked off in Meters. Then, I would do the research on the first 5,000 meters of it and what was there the night before, and "contemplate" the scenery I was virtually passing while I row. </td></tr></table><br /><br />Best bet for that might be Google Maps ( <a href='http://maps.google.com' target='_blank'>http://maps.google.com</a> ) or Google Earth ( <a href='http://earth.google.com/' target='_blank'>http://earth.google.com/</a> ) Google Earth in particular is a fascinating way to spend a rainy day - at least the part not spent rowing....

[old] ljford44

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ljford44 » January 2nd, 2006, 11:36 pm

Hi! I've been rowing for several years - not sure how fast or whatever I am but wuld like to join the team for this challenge. My e-mail address is ljford44@gte.net<br /><br />Lynnie Ford<br /> <br /> Thank you. Please let me know if this works. (Haven't rowed yet this year as just got back from being gone - but I'll be out there tomorrow am)<br /><br /><br />Hello Everyone,<br /><br />Technical Difficulties have been all sorted out, and our team is growing. So far we have 7 people signed up. If you want to join, I will need:<br /><br />Your email address<br />Your first and last names, EXACTLY as they are entered in your online profile.<br /><br />This will let me add you to our team roster in a way that will add your meters rowed AUTOMATICALLY to our team total (once you enter them into your personal logs).<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Emilia<br />Captain of FOWL PLAY <br />[/quote]<br />

[old] MomofJBN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] MomofJBN » January 3rd, 2006, 12:30 am

Hi, I'm Schenley. I posted my intro on the intro thread. Just wanted to say that I've joined Fowl Play. (Thanks, Emilia, for taking care of that so fast.)<br /><br />I'm hoping my contributions will be modest but consistent - in the 15 - 20K/wk range. Since I'm just getting back into this, I hope the challenge will help me get a routine established.<br /><br />I saw that another newbie had joined, so thanks Lauri for giving me the courage to hop in here.<br /><br />Schenley