Virtual Team Rowing Challenge – January 2006

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 16th, 2005, 3:41 pm

Here we go, Ducks! <br /><br />This might be one of the things that will keep us from falling off on our rowing after the HC! It will also help motivate those of us who want to keep working on the weight loss thing. <br /><br />To do it, I'll take a bit of a break between this wkd when I plan to finish up the HC. I want to work with some other equipment for awhile. I know I won't be able to stay away from this rower for too long, though!<br /><br />Ordinarily, I'm not all that competitive with others, but this could be fun...and helpful. <br /><br />It's difficult to even think about this right now, with with the HC and the holidays and all, but whatchya's all think? What would be a good individual goal for someone doing this?<br /><br />Buffles, you might just have to sit and pull on the handle, girl! <br /><br />--Jen, going out for Round 2 of shoveling snow today.

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 16th, 2005, 3:49 pm

What is this challenge? I'm new to the whole team thing, and I didn't find anything listed in the Challenges section of the website. What would we need to do?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Emilia

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 16th, 2005, 4:41 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-efg+Dec 16 2005, 03:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(efg @ Dec 16 2005, 03:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What is this challenge?  I'm new to the whole team thing, and I didn't find anything listed in the Challenges section of the website.  What would we need to do?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Emilia <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Emilia!<br /><br />I got a bulk email today from Concept2, and here's the link they gave me: www.concept2.com/virtual<br /><br />And I just read it all now. If someone wants to be a team captain, it would have to be someone more computer literate than me! <br /><br />--jen

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 16th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Woolsy - I think that's a great idea!<br /> What? You think I would just sit there and pull on the handle??<br />Really, I will have to sit this one out, but I think the Ducks should go for it. I posted a question to Bill over on the other thread. I think we have to notify Dena if we are going to join in.<br /><br />Let us know what you think, Ducks! Maybe I could join in late in the game!! <br /><br />Later,<br />Ye Olde Buffle

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 16th, 2005, 5:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Dec 16 2005, 04:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Dec 16 2005, 04:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Woolsy - I think that's a great idea!<br /> What?  You think I would just sit there and pull on the handle??<br />Really, I will have to sit this one out, but I think the Ducks should go for it.  I posted a question to Bill over on the other thread. I think we have to notify Dena if we are going to join in.<br /><br />Let us know what you think, Ducks!  Maybe I could join in late in the game!! <br /><br />Later,<br />Ye Olde Buffle <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey, that's right, you'll still have one good leg to work with! So you're on, right? With two wings and one leg, you'll only be down 25%. <br /><br />We can still rig up that skate board to attach to the foot on that bum leg--it'll fix ya so you can still go back and forth, and it'll let ya keep rowing! <br /><br />Naw, seriously, do the right things to get ya back up and running.<br /><br />--Woolsy

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 16th, 2005, 5:40 pm

I shoulda known you'd have the answer, Woolsy!<br />I came up with a great idea! My C2 is on carpet, so I'm gonna put my foot down on one of those furniture scootin' things and slide on that! <br />I can just see all the static electricity now! My hair will be standing on end! <br /><br />Hmmmmm - fried duck!<br /><br />Buffle - a la orange'

[old] billandmargaret

Women's Forum

Post by [old] billandmargaret » December 16th, 2005, 7:37 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-woolsmith+Dec 16 2005, 11:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(woolsmith @ Dec 16 2005, 11:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here we go, Ducks! <br /><br />This might be one of the things that will keep us from falling off on our rowing after the  HC!  It will also help motivate those of us who want to keep working on the weight loss thing.  <br /><br />--Jen, going out for Round 2 of shoveling snow today. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sure, let's try. Why not? We have lots of members, so we'll have an easier time then some other teams racking up the meters.<br /><br />Margaret

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 16th, 2005, 11:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Dec 16 2005, 05:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Dec 16 2005, 05:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I shoulda known you'd have the answer, Woolsy!<br />I came up with a great idea!  My C2 is on carpet, so I'm gonna put my foot down on one of those furniture scootin' things and slide on that! <br />I can just see all the static electricity now!  My hair will be standing on end! <br /><br />Hmmmmm - fried duck!<br /><br />Buffle - a la orange' <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hmmm...white wine with that?? Up here in WI, they'd definitely go the beer route--probably Point Beer, made in Stevens Point, WI. Leinenkugel's is pretty good, too--lotsa varieties. Listen to me talk about beer--one beer and it's lights out for me.<br /><br />I want to see that picture of you with your hair standing up on end! <br /><br />And Margaret--This Virtual Challenge would go well with the January weight loss plan in your other post, hey? <br /><br />Duck Power!

[old] edollar

Women's Forum

Post by [old] edollar » December 17th, 2005, 11:41 am

Woolly and Buffle....count me in on the virtual January challenge. Whoever decides to be a captain can give me directions and I will follow.<br /><br />Ellen<br />DIAR

[old] loonylady

Women's Forum

Post by [old] loonylady » December 17th, 2005, 12:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-edollar+Dec 17 2005, 11:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(edollar @ Dec 17 2005, 11:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Woolly and Buffle....count me in on the virtual January challenge. Whoever decides to be a captain can give me directions and I will follow.<br /><br />Ellen<br />DIAR <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />I'd be interested in the challenge as well although I have to tell you I don't rack up as many meters as most of these other women. I do about 5-6K 5 or 6 days a week. I just completed the 100K HC. That was my goal so I'm happy with it. Next year I'll go for the 200. I have to give credit to all those, including my husband, who have already completed the 200. That is a lot of rowing!!<br /><br />Carol aka loonylady

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 17th, 2005, 1:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-loonylady+Dec 17 2005, 12:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(loonylady @ Dec 17 2005, 12:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-edollar+Dec 17 2005, 11:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(edollar @ Dec 17 2005, 11:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Woolly and Buffle....count me in on the virtual January challenge. Whoever decides to be a captain can give me directions and I will follow.<br /><br />Ellen<br />DIAR <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />I'd be interested in the challenge as well although I have to tell you I don't rack up as many meters as most of these other women. I do about 5-6K 5 or 6 days a week. I just completed the 100K HC. That was my goal so I'm happy with it. Next year I'll go for the 200. I have to give credit to all those, including my husband, who have already completed the 200. That is a lot of rowing!!<br /><br />Carol aka loonylady <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey LoonyLady!<br /><br />That's the beauty of this--doesn't matter what you row. Even small amounts add up, AND it keeps you wanting to row. The part about keeping me rowing is the important part because the way I see it, if I keep rowing, regardless of how many meters I'm getting I'm still winning. <br /><br />And I'll probably be doing about the same amount you're rowing per week--it'll all add up in the end! If we each do 25-30k/week, that'll add up to 100-120k each in that month. Tain't too shabby. <br /><br />--jen <br /><br />P.S. I'm going to have to make a duck out of some of my wool that I have around here that I use for spinning. If I get one done, I'll post the pic. How's that, no feathers for a woolly duck? Does that mean I go "quaaa-aaa-aaa-K?

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 17th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Let's Do it!<br /><br />I went to www.concept2.com/virtual<br /><br />Here's my understanding.<br /><br />1) We need a team captain.<br />2) The captain builds a "virtual" team. <br />3) People join the team. This is different from the Club/University standings.<br />From my understanding chosing to row on the virtual team for the January challenge does not mean you have to stop being a DIAR.<br />4) not everybody who is a duck is automatically part of the team.<br /><br />If you want to row in the virtual challenge, you have to be added to the January team manually by the team captain. <br /><br />It is easier for the team captain if everyone enters their own meters in their own logbook.<br /><br />I will double check statement #3 about the virtual January team vs. Club University standings.<br /><br />Does this agree with what others have read?<br /><br />Susan AKA Wood Duck

[old] efg

Women's Forum

Post by [old] efg » December 17th, 2005, 2:35 pm

I think we should do it! Would we use the Ducks In a Row name, or should we come up with a different duck-related name for this event? Any ideas anyone? If all the team captain has to do is enter team members into a file, I'll volunteer. I don't know any other rowers in my area, so I wouldn't be recruiting anyone, but I could enter meters if anyone else has friends who row but who do not have online logs of their own. Though they should - that's half the fun!<br /><br />Emilia

[old] Shari

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Shari » December 17th, 2005, 8:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-efg+Dec 17 2005, 01:35 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(efg @ Dec 17 2005, 01:35 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think we should do it!  Would we use the Ducks In a Row name, or should we come up with a different duck-related name for this event?  Any ideas anyone?  If all the team captain has to do is enter team members into a file, I'll volunteer.  I don't know any other rowers in my area, so I wouldn't be recruiting anyone, but I could enter meters if anyone else has friends who row but who do not have online logs of their own.  Though they should - that's half the fun!<br /><br />Emilia <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I will be in and out of town but I would like to join the team. It sounds like just the motivation we need to stay on track.<br /><br />Shari

[old] mischa

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mischa » December 17th, 2005, 9:13 pm

I'll be in and out of town too but I think it would be great to participate in this.