Challenge?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Iliana

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Iliana » December 11th, 2005, 10:31 am

It's encouraging seeing all these positive posts!<br /><br />I'm behind on my goal of the 200k, but I'm still plugging away. Some days are harder than others; today was a bear! But on the positive side, hey, I'm still rowing :-) Plus, one of the pieces I've been doing is a 7500m steady row, and while my first few were around 50 minutes, today it only took 47 minutes --slow for the racers, but GREAT for me :-)<br /><br />I'm still hoping for the 200k, but I never lose sight of the fact that the challenge is here to inspire me to row & get skinnier & healthier, and it sure is working! Well, I'm convinced I'm getting healthier anyhow.. my bG numbers are slowly going down, day by day, and that is FABU.<br /><br />Okay, off to shower and then out to play in the snow. Woo!<br /><br />Keep up the great work, O Mighty Fowl :-)<br /><br />../Iliana<br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 11th, 2005, 11:19 am

Great report, Iliana!<br /><br />Once you start seeing (and feeling!) those solid results, you really start getting hooked into the exercise thing. I believe if folks could just make it through that first month, they'll have it.<br /><br />I still have good weeks and bad weeks. This last week was more of a bad week--I worked a lot of extra days, missed out on a lot of sleep, and I just didn't feel like I had any "oomph" when I sat down on the rower. Go figure? The first 15 minutes on the rower were a drag, and it was a real effort on my part to just keep going. I seem to get a second wind after about 20 minutes or so, however, so I know if I can just hang in there....<br /><br />And even if you don't make the 200k goal, at least you're making great progress--and that's the more important goal, hey?<br /><br />Keep those ducky feet going!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 11th, 2005, 1:06 pm

Ker-splop! The Buffle has landed! <br />Dropping in the pond for a brief chat.<br />Seems like everyone is making great progress! Way to go!!<br />I had to waddle over for myself to see the team standings. Yeah!! We'll take it, even if it is short-lived. I'm sure those Taffers won't stand for looking at our tailfeathers for long! Ah, well - all in good fun, right?<br /><br />As for me, I did a 20K on Friday and another 20K last night. Speaking of tailfeathers! Ouch! I only have another 55K to go, so I should be O.K.<br /><br />I know what you mean Woolsy - sometimes it's hard to stick with it. I never thought I would get to the end of the 20K last night. Whew! Today I will rest.<br /><br />Well, gotta take off again. Lots to do. Only T minus 8 days until the chopping block! <br /><br />Later,<br />Buffles

[old] adkmurray

Women's Forum

Post by [old] adkmurray » December 11th, 2005, 6:51 pm

[quote=woolsmith,Dec 10 2005, 10:51 PM]<br />Congratulations, Ducks! You're quite a flock!<br /><br />Now, if you can get your average meters per member up about 500K more, you'll really beat us Taffs. <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hey there, Carla!<br /><br />I checked out Taff Attack's team page, and you folks have some seeeeerious rowers in there! The leader on your board has over 9 million meters, and that's quite an accomplishment! And judging from some of the pictures, some members are quite the characters. Lotsa fun folks there. <br /><br />And if the Ducks can't keep 6th place, we'll at least have fun keepin' the heat on y'all, hee!hee! Good fun, and it makes me want to keep rowing and piling up those meters on days when I'd rather be a couch tater. So I've gotta thank Taffs for that! <br /><br />How are you doing with your HC? I think I have about 60k left to go for the 200k challenge. I fell behind this week--too much stuff going on. <br /><br />--Jen <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Wow, 9 million meters to date? If my calculations are right that's over 42K per day - with no days off!!!

[old] hoosier duck

Women's Forum

Post by [old] hoosier duck » December 11th, 2005, 8:55 pm

Just made my first million meters as a DUCK. Only 24,706 left on the 200,000 challenge. Hoosier Duck. Proud member of DIAR.

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 11th, 2005, 9:15 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hoosier duck+Dec 11 2005, 08:55 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hoosier duck @ Dec 11 2005, 08:55 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just made my first million meters as a DUCK.  Only 24,706 left on the 200,000 challenge.  Hoosier Duck.  Proud member of DIAR. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Yaaaay, Hoosier Duck! </span><br /><br />Purple's my favorite color. <br /><br />Feels good to get that total up on the boards, hey? Great job! <br /><br />Don't forget to click on that link on the "challenges" so you get your t-shirt and certificate. You have to have your t-shirt size listed on your profile so they know what to send you.<br /><br />And you about got that HC whipped too, you go, girl! I think I've got 51k left to go after today.<br /><br />Congrats, and keep it up! Are you doing anything special to celebrate?<br /><br />--Jen in WI. Not too far away from Hoosierland, hey?

[old] seat5

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seat5 » December 11th, 2005, 9:28 pm

What's this about T-8 days? Doesn't the challenge end the 24th? That's 13 days when I count on my fingers!<br /><br />I am not rowing today--had a little fall on some ice in a parking lot and crunked one of my hips sort of out of joint. I think I'll be fine tomorrow though. I'm only at 80somethingK so I sure hope so!<br /><br />You guys are doing great. Illiana I'm so glad you are back! good job everyone!

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » December 11th, 2005, 9:39 pm

I rowed 10,000 today. It's only the second time I've done that much. I did it in 53 minutes. I took the children to see the Narnia movie, rushed home, rowed while watching my own movie then went back and collected them. I find it's easier to row while watching a musical than a documentary. Does anyone have any suggestions for good movies to watch while rowing?<br /><br />My latest problem is that I catch my knees with my thumb nails - OUCH! I've only just started doing it, but I can't work out what I'm doing differently.<br /><br />70,000 left for challenge<br /><br />Tina

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 11th, 2005, 9:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-seat5+Dec 11 2005, 09:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(seat5 @ Dec 11 2005, 09:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What's this about T-8 days? Doesn't the challenge end the 24th?  That's 13 days when I count on my fingers!<br /><br />I am not rowing today--had a little fall on some ice in a parking lot and crunked one of my hips sort of out of joint.  I think I'll be fine tomorrow though.  I'm only at 80somethingK so I sure hope so!<br /><br />You guys are doing great.  Illiana I'm so glad you are back!  good job everyone! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Hey Carla!<br /><br />Buffle and I are trying to be done by 12/18--that's the day she has to go for her knee surgery. I'm being her "pace duck," but I hope I'm not slowing her down! Plus she's got to see the vampires (lab techs) to bank a couple of units of her own blood, "just in case," so she's also dealing with that factor in her HC quest.<br /><br />Bummer about the crash and burn on the ice! If you had as much padding as I do, you wouldn't have felt a thing! I hope you're back to full form soon. <br /><br />I've got 48k left after today's row.<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 11th, 2005, 9:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-adkmurray+Dec 11 2005, 06:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(adkmurray @ Dec 11 2005, 06:51 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Wow, 9 million meters to date?  If my calculations are right that's over 42K per day - with no days off!!! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Geez-looweeze, that is a lot! And that's what it says on the avg. daily meters board that he's on, too. And there are actually more folks in that range as well. Makes me drop all kinds of feathers just thinking about rowing that much.

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 11th, 2005, 10:09 pm

CONGRATULATIONS HOOSIER DUCK!!! <br /><br />That's really exciting - <br /><br />BTW - I'm an IU grad too - I appreciated the IU update on the your profile the other day - thanks! GO IU!! <br /><br />I had to study alot this weekend, so I didn't get to row as much as I'd have liked - but did sneak 10k in on Friday and 13k today, so am up to 130k for the challenge. But I'm still on pace - no traveling for me this year. I can't imagine trying to get it all in early. Whew! <br /><br />Michelle

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 11th, 2005, 10:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jemima+Dec 11 2005, 09:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jemima @ Dec 11 2005, 09:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I rowed 10,000 today. It's only the second time I've done that much. I did it in 53 minutes. I took the children to see the Narnia movie, rushed home, rowed while watching my own movie then went back and collected them. I find it's easier to row while watching a musical than a documentary. Does anyone have any suggestions for good movies to watch while rowing?<br /><br />My latest problem is that I catch my knees with my thumb nails - OUCH! I've only just started doing it, but I can't work out what I'm doing differently.<br /><br />70,000 left for challenge<br /><br />Tina <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Nice job, Tina, and a good time, too! You're doing better than me time-wise. <br /><br />Musicals would have good rhythms to row to. I watch DVDs of a TV action series--when there's some heavy action, I row faster because of the adrenaline rush, but sometimes I slow down or stop during intense, emotional scenes. I guess it makes me do an interval training program of sorts that way, hey? I have a satellite radio, so sometimes I'll listen to FoxNews or CNN.<br /><br />Hmmm, can you try holding the bar so that your thumbs are either parallel with the bar or resting on top of the bar? I have to go check and see how *I* hold the thing now. Have you worn sweatpants before instead of shorts? Do you hold the bar differently when you're tired or getting towards the end of your session?<br /><br />I just checked--my thumbs are kinda/sorta on top of the bar when I row. Also, your hands should be past your knees toward the front of the rower before your knees come up. If your knees are already up and getting scratched by your thumbnail, then your form/technique is probably off a tad. <br /><br />Let's see if I can get this straight myself: from the finish and into the recovery, your hands and the bar come forward, then your back slightly, then you bend your knees and continue forward to the catch. And I read somewhere on these boards that it helps to return your handle as quickly as you pull the handle toward you at the finish.<br /><br />I know I have to consciously keep checking in on my form. Watchin a movie while I'm rowing, I get off track and fall into some bad habits because I'm distracted. But I keep watching movies when I row anyway. Also, when I'm getting fatigued towards the end of a long rowing session, my technique starts to get a tad sloppy.<br /><br />hopethishelps!<br />--Jen

[old] edollar

Women's Forum

Post by [old] edollar » December 12th, 2005, 10:51 am

I finished the 200k Holiday Challenge yesterday (Dec 11). I had been doing about 11k per day and decided Saturday morning if I did 18k that day and 16k on Sunday I would be DONE. Rather foolishly I also did a pretty heavy leg workout on the leg machines at the gym on Saturday.<br /><br /> Sunday I kept changing my mind. The devil was whispering in my ear saying I could finish on Monday but I finally decided, after doing a 4k at the gym and having 12k left to do, to row a 60 minute row for a new pb (Couldn't stand doing the 12k for just meters) and see if I could hit the 12k in 60 minutes that had eluded me the first time I rowed it getting only 11,906. I rowed it with my mouth dry, sweat running in my eyes, and my nose dripping and blisters hurting. I don't normally do long rows...and this is the longest one I've ever done but I got 12236 and I got a new one place higher ranking on my age group and 25 more nonathlon points, finished the Holiday Challenge and lost a pound this morning. It actually is my highest nonathlon score which is weird since it is the second 60 minute row I've ever done and have only done one 10k row. All in all it was a good day.<br /><br />Now I am going to work in some longer rows so I can get a half marathon done. I know I have more long work to do before I attempt it. I also want over 300k for the month of December. <br /><br />Go Ducks!!!<br /><br />Ellen

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 12th, 2005, 11:16 am

Wow, Ellen! <br /><br />You are cranking out the meters, good for you! Feels good to hit those goals and to hit a few PBs as well, yes? And you've already got the HC done, yay! <br /><br />I've got 48k left to go for the HC, and I want to finish with Buffle by the 18th. I want to do at least 12k today, because I know I won't get much rowing done on either Tuesday or Thursday, my long (Loooonnnngggg) clinic days. Like you, I'm figuring four 12's should do it...but if I can squeak in some extra meters.... Sooo close.<br /><br />Nice job! Lots of Ducks are getting into this HC and doing a great job, hey? <br /><br />Go Ducks!<br /><br />--Jen

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » December 12th, 2005, 12:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-edollar+Dec 12 2005, 08:51 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(edollar @ Dec 12 2005, 08:51 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't normally do long rows...and this is the longest one I've ever done but I got 12236 and I got a new one place higher ranking on my age group and 25 more nonathlon points, finished the Holiday Challenge and lost a pound this morning. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Now that sounds like a great day! Great work, Ellen!