Is It Just Me?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] seagulldc

Women's Forum

Post by [old] seagulldc » August 19th, 2005, 2:42 pm

OK. so, schedule-wise, rowing in the AM does seem to make sense. it opens up the rest of the day and makes it so I don't feel like I get up, go to work, come home, row, eat go to bed, and repeat...<br />However, I feel terrible rowing in the AM. I mean really bad. Seems that after I row in the morning (I mean right after I get out of bed), I always end up feeling sick. Nauseous kind of sick. You get the point. No need to be graphic. <br />Am I the only one? Is this a common phenomenon? Anyone have any suggestions?

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » August 19th, 2005, 7:49 pm

I don't have the same problem as you, but I do have a problem with a stiff back when I row in the morning sometimes. This morning I had to row shortly after getting up because I wanted to complete the Blue Moon Row today. My back was so stiff, I could hardly row for the first 3-4 minutes. After that, once I was limbered up, all was well.<br /><br />As for your nausea, perhaps you need to have a small snack and something to drink first?<br /><br />Shannon

[old] John Hendrie

Women's Forum

Post by [old] John Hendrie » August 19th, 2005, 8:29 pm

Hope it's OK for a guy to post in this women's forum.<br /><br />I found (more than 10 years ago) that if I don't do my workouts right after rising something always comes up which makes it difficult or impossible to row. Over the years I have developed a routine which consists of emptying the dish washer, feeding the dog, and reviewing e mail, internet headlines, and the C2 forum, this done while I Consume one large cup of coffee. If there is an early conflict I set my alarm early (as early as 4:30) because getting in my meters has become an obsession. Fortunately I have no problems with nausea.<br /><br />I suppose my performance would be better if I rowed after waking, eating, etc but I know from experience there are too many conflicts later in the day. At my house the early morning hours belong to me<br /><br />Best of luck working out your scheduling<br /><br />john

[old] sirrobin

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sirrobin » August 20th, 2005, 12:54 pm

I get up early and row first thing in the morning, too. It's too hot later in the day for me (among other reasons). I used to just go do it and afterwards I'd feel jittery - shakey. So now I usually eat something a little yogurt or at least drink some "fitness water" before I row. The yogurt is good for protien which your muscles need when exercising. But you might also to just "break" your "fast" before you row because you your body needs the sugar, protien, or other fuel. You might ask your doctor if this could be a symptom of hypoglycemia or even diabetes.<br />Robin

[old] Bill

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bill » August 20th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Hello,<br /><br />For me - its a question of getting enought rest<br /><br />When I row in the morning I get up at 5:00- 5:30ish <br /><br />For me this means going to bed 9-9:30ish which seemed absurdly early at first.<br /><br />I have to be really disciplined about going to bed early.<br /><br />Gets worse after a few days of burning the candle at both ends.<br /><br />So I sometimes have a rest and lie down after work.<br /><br /><br />Bill

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » August 22nd, 2005, 7:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-seagulldc+Aug 19 2005, 01:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(seagulldc @ Aug 19 2005, 01:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->OK. so, schedule-wise, rowing in the AM does seem to make sense.  it opens up the rest of the day and makes it so I don't feel like I get up, go to work, come home, row, eat go to bed, and repeat...<br />However, I feel terrible rowing in the AM.  I mean really bad.  Seems that after I row in the morning (I mean right after I get out of bed), I always end up feeling sick.  Nauseous kind of sick.  You get the point.  No need to be graphic.  <br />Am I the only one?  Is this a common phenomenon?  Anyone have any suggestions? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />HI!, look, I feel better rowing in the morning, I face in a different way my days and it feels great, besides, I finishe my day earlyer.<br /><br />About your problem, it happens to me when I didn´t breakfast or I breakfast too quick. Usually, I have breakfast 40-60min before my workout, and i just eat what is necessary for me (a cup of cereals and milk and a fruit, mostly bananas).<br />And after my workout, I eat a fruit or a cereal bar... sometimes I don´t fell good because the workout has been too hard, and some sugar "lif me up" <br /><br />I hope you can solve your problem!, keep ergig!,<br />Go Ducks!<br /><br />Gaby

[old] RowedandRode

Women's Forum

Post by [old] RowedandRode » August 26th, 2005, 11:23 am

I love this subject - should you work out in the morning or the evening?<br />It will depend on the individual's physical preferences and schedule, but my personal favourite is a morning workout. I get up at ~ 4.30 to run, cycle, row or lift weights. I work full-time during the day and I ride my horse and run errands in the evening, so there is no choice - if I want to train, I have to get up before the sun does.<br /><br />That being said, sometimes it takes some considerable resolve to crawl out of bed...and sometimes I feel a bit dopey and out-of-sorts until I get going. But once I'm up and at it, I forget about sleeping and end up thrilled with myself that I went out and ran track intervals, or did an hour's rowing, or cycled 35 km while the sun came up.<br /><br />If you are feeling nauseous, and it happens often, think about this:<br /><br /><b>When do you eat your last evening meal? </b>When you get up, has it been > 10 hours since you last ate? If so, eating an easy-to-digest carb snack (like 1/2 c. unsweetened apple sauce, or a few raisins) before rowing might help. This is of particular importance if you're embarking on a long row.<br /><b>Are you drinking enough water during and after your workout? </b>If you are rowing for a long period, you should take 2-3 large sips of water every 10 minutes or so to stay hydrated. This is really important when it's hot.<br /><b>Are you getting to bed early enough?</b> Someone mentioned "burning the candle at both ends". I'm guilty of this too. I find I can function well on 6 hours of sleep per night (it took practice to find the lower limit!), but if you are feeling crummy in the morning, try going to bed an hour earlier and see if it helps.<br /><b>Are you overtraining? </b>Check your heart rate as soon as you wake up in the morning - before you even sit up - and make sure that it isn't elevated. You should have a fairly good idea of your resting heart rate - get in the habit of checking it often throughout the day. If it is higher than normal when you wake up, it's a sign that you need rest.<br /><b>Examine what you ate and drank the night before. </b>If you had a big, heavy meal the previous evening, it can make you a bit sluggish the next morning (particularly if you ate quite late). And as for alcohol, even drinking one beer or one glass of wine can disrupt my morning workout! Some foods are going to get in the way of your fitness, and if that's the case, you have to decide whether it's worth it to consume them.<br /><br />Can anyone think of any other things for Seagull to consider??<br /><br />

[old] RUKIDN

Women's Forum

Post by [old] RUKIDN » October 7th, 2005, 10:14 am

My husband and I are exact opposites in our preferrence of exercise. He is a big believer in AM workouts and I prefer the after work pre-dinner work out. I like making a little ritual out of changing from business attire to work out attire and getting a little stress relieve me time in before sitting down for a nice dinner. Therefore, I personally don't have the same problem. However, I do know that my husband MUST get a little snack in before exercise in the AM. He usually eats half of a Power Bar or other protein bar. That is just enough to take away the nausea but not to much that he can't work out. I know he said that after he started doing this he felt much better and doesn't get any muscle fatigue at the end of his work out. Hope that helps.

[old] Nayla

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Nayla » November 1st, 2005, 3:18 pm

I have the same problem if I row first thing in the morning. I do much much better if I eat a good breakfast at the normal time then row about 1-1/2 hours later. My back is also stiffer right out of bed in the morning so moving around a couple hours before rowing helps loosen it up.<br />Schedule conflicts can be tough to work around. How loose is your schedule? you could also try eating breakfast at 7 or so, then having a snack at 9:30 and rowing at 11 right before lunchtime. When I do this, I find that my lunchtime almost always moves to later inthe afternoon because the rowing has put a little damper on my appetite.<br />

[old] ljwagner

Women's Forum

Post by [old] ljwagner » November 20th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Big glass of cool water, 40 degrees or so. Take 10 minutes or so to drink it. Read something. Exercise Physiologists have actually measured water absorbtion rates, and cold water (not ice water), for most people, is more quickly absorbed.<br /><br /> Everyone is a bit dehydrated in the morning. You may be more sensitive. Then gradual 10 minutes warm-up on the erg, and you should be ready for a nice workout.

[old] janet

Women's Forum

Post by [old] janet » November 21st, 2005, 7:10 pm

hi<br />New to this forum...<br />I have to train at night, usually after 9pm or as late as 11.30pm!! I get into a routine with it and it becomes okay. I have to wait so late as my disabled son will always interrupt my training if i start before he goes to bed! usually right in the middle of a test piece or important workout! Early morning exercise is just unthinkable to me. however this was a problem for the recent BIRC where my race was on at 8.30am! I got up really early to try and be awake for my race and loosened up but was foiled by a pesky cold that decided to attack me on the race morning! nightmare! I underperformed but at least I finished and I came a respectable 8th in my age group. It is also difficult to balance the training with my on water rowing training. We are in the long distance race season now but i am wanting to race indoors for 2k. looking to balance the two without it having any detrimental effect on either. My water rowing is very important to me and I have been using the ergo as a training tool only. however I entered at bIRC, my first race and am now hooked!<br />well, off to take some cold remedy now so i can get some decent sleep beofre work tomorrow! bah! <br /><br />