No Delicate Way To Put This, But....

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] EireNW

Women's Forum

Post by [old] EireNW » August 24th, 2005, 10:19 am

...anyone have tips for how to avoid Ye Olde Butt Chafing? After awhile on the erg, sometimes there's...um...er...a chapping effect. No fun. Perhaps this is only a problem for those of us with formidable butts? Alas, any advice appreciated...Thanks!

[old] Bayko

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bayko » August 24th, 2005, 10:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-EireNW+Aug 24 2005, 02:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(EireNW @ Aug 24 2005, 02:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...anyone have tips for how to avoid Ye Olde Butt Chafing?  After awhile on the erg, sometimes there's...um...er...a chapping effect. No fun.  Perhaps this is only a problem for those of us with formidable butts?  Alas, any advice appreciated...Thanks! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Errr, um, while I'm not a woman, I've recently encountered the same problem. For me it seems to be a heat & humidity thing that has happened on my last two long workouts. I'm not sure about prevention, but I think that I've found a cure.<br /><br />I tried a couple of salves from first aid kits with limited success. Usually some temporary relief but not much else. Then last Sunday I visited the grandchildren after re-chafing the butt, and found that I'd forgotten to bring anything for the pain.<br /><br />After asking my daughter if she had any creams for chafing (no) or even vaseline (no) I explained the problem. "Oh! Your butt? I've got some stuff for the babies diaper rash!" So I tried it and voila(!) it worked great. Cleared it up much faster than anything I've tried in the past.<br /><br />The product is called Bottom Butter. More importantly, if you can't find the exact item, the active ingredients are petrolatum (30%) and dimethicone (1%). It literally saved my butt.<br /><br />Rick

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » August 24th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Well, I used to have that terrible problem on longer rows, but Seat5 gave me some great advice which I'll pass along. First, I must mention that I always wear compression shorts for rowing. She said to forget the underwear. Gasp! <br /><br />Believe me, I know just how painful that can be. It's no fun. However, after following her advice I rowed a marathon (minus undies ) with no chaffing whatsoever. I don't resort to that solution unless I'm doing anything over 10K. I don't seem to have the problem with the shorter rows.<br /><br />Good Luck!<br />The Buffle

[old] Amy

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Amy » September 18th, 2005, 8:06 am

A friend of mine (an avid athlete and dirt biker) developed a product that has found phenomenal success in stopping chaffing. (It's being used by the US Cycling Team.) It's called Anti Monkey Butt Powder. You can buy it online at <a href='http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/</a><br /><br />I know this sounds like a friend's endorsement...lol, I guess it is, but it really works.<br /><br />Amy

[old] jimjayhawk

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 18th, 2005, 3:01 pm

A layer or two of bubblewrap went a long way in providing relief for me<br /><br />Jim

[old] Yeischkob

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Yeischkob » September 18th, 2005, 3:23 pm

As a runner, I discovered that a product called BodyGlide is a necessity for longer runs. It works even in very humid/sweaty conditions. It's in the form of a deoderant stick and is clear and dry. Try any running store or I suppose online.<br /><br />An ounce of prevention is worth . . . well, you know.<br /><br />Good luck!

[old] Ducatista

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Ducatista » September 19th, 2005, 2:37 pm

I've never gotten asschap on the erg, but I've experienced it plenty on 400+ mile motorcycle rides in full leathers in 90° heat. Gold Bond Powder helps a lot, as do moisture-wicking (CoolMax or the like) undies and shorts or pants.