Overcoming Disabilties Team Room

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
brotherjim
10k Poster

Re: Overcoming Disabilties Team Room

Post by brotherjim » February 11th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Welcome back to the team Michelle, Christa, Rivka, and Sarah. We are glad you have rejoined us.

Stats--

Rosita-------------------------7050
Zander------------------------3000
Anita--------------------------10500
Ronnie-------------------------16000
Michelle-----------------------18050
Christa------------------------11000
Rivka--------------------------14000
Sarah--------------------------14000
Benny--------------------------3300
Jim-----------------------------13940

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » February 11th, 2011, 5:22 pm

brotherjim wrote:Welcome back to the team Michelle, Christa, Rivka, and Sarah. We are glad you have rejoined us.
I think it's great, too. You are a very strong group of people. You support each other well, and that's what the teaming is all about anyway. Have fun !

K2

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 12th, 2011, 9:45 pm

Posted from Native Americans website

THE LONGEST WALK 3 (Reversing Diabetes) Feb 14 - July 8, 2011

This is a 5,000+ mile Walk Across America to bring awareness of the devastating effects of diabetes and how it can be reversed by changing our entire diet and lifestyle! This disease is at epidemic levels across America, and throughout Indian Country.

We will hold community talks along the way about reversing diabetes, and heart disease. We will be advocating for major changes in our eating habits, while promoting beneficial exercise programs. Our goal will be to REVERSE DIABETES AND RAISE THE CONSCIOUS OF AMERICA THAT WE MUST HALT THE WORST DIET IN THE WORLD! Along both routes we will be launching a CLEAN UP MOTHER EARTH campaign, picking up trash along both routes!!

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 13th, 2011, 10:15 am

Just a word of congratulations to the team. We are in 2nd place overall in the 6-20 member teams, behind a juggernaut of a team, Timbuktu. That is very awesome and you should be very happy with your rowing. We are also in 2nd place , same cat., meters /person, behind another awesome team, Island Rowing club. Great job team O.D.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 13th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Here are our 2 day stats. Way to row Ronnie!!!!!!

Benny----------------6800
Andy-----------------7460
Zander--------------17300
Jim------------------20755
Christa--------------21250
Anita----------------22050
Rivka----------------28000
Sarah----------------28000
Rosita---------------28000
Michelle------------29000
Ronnie--------------58000

Everyone has met the Valentine's Challenge!
jim

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 14th, 2011, 3:28 pm

I am sorry to see Rivka and Sarah leave us. I don't know if they left for a new team . We will miss you.
Happy Valentine's Day to you all.

Stats

Jim-----------------4000
Zander-------------7000
Ronnie-------------7000
Benny--------------8500
Rosita--------------8500
Andy---------------9960
Michelle-----------12500
Anita---------------19000
Christa-------------19000

Great rowing team!!!! Have a nice day.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 15th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Here are the stats for the day, been having some computer problems.

Jim-----------2650
Benny--------5600
Zander-------7200
Ronnie-------8020
Rosita--------8505
Anita---------11500
Christa-------12500
Michelle------20000

Doing fantastic!

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 15th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Amputee April Holmes, Paralympian, Helps Others with Disabilities

by Cherl Petso, Disaboom

Waiting for the 200 meter dash to begin, she jostles her body, shaking it awake and aware for the task at hand, her black and brown ponytail mimicking the movements of her dancing body. She crouches down, her hands walking her legs back until her feet are nestled against the blocks. A shot is fired and she explodes off the block. Coming around the curve after 100 meters, it’s obvious that this is her race.

The world record for the 200 meter dash is 27.51 seconds. Until now. She crosses the finish line at 27.06, a new world record. She knows she’s done it; her fist reaches up and a tired, happy grin marks her face. She runs her victory lap, an American flag draped across her shoulders, waving to the crowd.

Waking Up an Amputee
When Paralympian April Holmes woke up in the hospital after a train accident to discover that her left leg was amputated at the knee, she was, in her own words, grateful. Her resilient faith in God made her never question the loss of her leg. Rather, she relished in the fact that she was alive and still had three other fully functioning limbs.

Nevertheless, when the doctor who amputated her leg introduced her to idea of competitive running in the Paralympics, she thought he was crazy. “Dude,” she told him, “I just lost my leg, and you’re telling me I should run?! I need two legs, not one.” But after further thought, she realized that this was the way she would regain her life.

Paralympics: Watch Out
A runner since age 5, April always had a passion for basketball, but a natural ability for track. She knew that track would be her way to college. She never imagined that she would make a career out of running. But then came the accident, and her doctor’s challenge. Breaking three world records for April was something she knew she could do, and it didn’t take long. It only took a few months after beginning her Paralympics career for her to break the first record. In fact, she has gone back to beat her own world records. She currently holds the world records for the 100, 200, and 400 meter dash.

April trains at the Olympic training center and is given a stipend from the Paralympics to continue running and training. She is the first female athlete, as well as the first track and field athlete to receive a sneaker sponsorship from Jordan shoes. She recently returned from Taiwan for the World Championships. Before that she was in Brazil; before that, Canada; before that, Germany, and so on.

Disability Perception
During her travels, she’s been encouraged by the fact that cultures across the world don’t treat her much differently due to her disability. In fact, in the U.S., she’s found that people will over-compensate in terms of courtesy. Generally speaking, “I’ve found that if you’re just nice and treat people with respect, you’ll get the same in return.”

April loves running because it allows her to “showcase the talents that God gave me.” She has found that through competing she has had the ability to encourage “a whole lot of people that can’t do a lot of things that I can do.” She speaks about a support group that she joined. Every time she goes, they always ask for an “April update.” At first, she wished that they would talk about something else, but then she realized that the people in the support group live through her in some regards. Now she visits as often as she can and emails updates to this “pretty cool group of people.”

Helping Others with Disabilities
In fact, April finds the most satisfaction in helping and inspiring others. Out of this passion for helping others, she created the April Holmes Foundation, which is dedicated to helping people “build their dreams.” The foundation helps those with physical and mental disabilities by assisting with funds, materials, or networking. She says if the Foundation can’t help someone, they will connect the person in need with someone who can. The Foundation often seeks out candidates, rather than vice versa.

When asked about her identity as an athlete, April talked about a recent conversation she had had with a fellow athlete. He said, ‘I’m tired of people writing feel-good stories about us. At some point in time, we should be able to make it to ESPN or the sports section, as opposed to the lifestyle section as a feel-good story.’ I said to him, ‘any kind of exposure you get in terms of someone reading your story and moving someone, then that should bring you joy.’ You shouldn’t be specific about where you need to be seen. The rest of the world doesn’t see you as athletes, they see you more as a feel good kind of story, it’s tough, but it’s not going to stop me from doing what I’m doing. At the end of the day, you have to be happy with yourself and look at yourself in the mirror, and I sure hope you don’t depend on what people call you to tell you who you are.”

April is currently enjoying some much-needed rest back at home. She was recently inducted into the National Black Hall of Fame and is trying her hand at the bittersweet game of golf to keep her active in the off-season.

Her advice to others just beginning the recovery from a disabling accident? “I ask them, ‘what did you love to do before your accident?’ And I tell them to keep doing what they loved to do. It might take some modifying, but you never know what you can do until you try.”

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 16th, 2011, 3:33 am

Sheryl Young and Lauren Potter.
.Doing Nothing Is Not an Option

Admit it! You've used the "r" word once in your lifetime; it's become a part of our everyday dialogue. Fortunately, organizations like Special Olympics and Best Buddies have begun to "Spread the Word to End the Word!" But using the word is not the only thing that needs to end; brutal beatings and forceful manipulation of kids with disabilities must also stop. Research shows that students with disabilities are more likely to be bullied than students without. Some reports estimate that nearly 85% of children and youth with disabilities experience bullying. Yet, this population is absent from legislation and most anti-bullying programs.

Walk a Mile in Their Shoes, a report authored by AbilityPath.org, is aimed at bringing facts and real stories of youth with disabilities and their families to the forefront of national discussions. Bullying has gone on long enough and has reached dangerous and deadly levels. Violence against anyone is not okay and we must take action to 'Disable Bullying'.

Too many students with disabilities are being bullied. In the last 5 months alone, cases of children with disabilities being force fed dog food while other children laughed; watching a boy with autism have an outburst as he ate a cookie with filling made of soap and knocking a young child off of her crutches in the hallway of a school have quietly been making headlines. This is criminal, cruel and cowardly but unfortunately occurs every day. We shake our heads in disbelief and are confident kids we know wouldn't do something like this and they probably aren't but what are they doing? Sitting around watching or not reporting it is just as bad. What is being done to instill compassion and caring into the future generations?

Teaching tolerance of differences, especially for those whose differences limits their ability to respond, needs to take center stage in homes, schools and even places of worship. Misconceptions exist but will only be put to rest when more of us provide youth with disabilities opportunities to continue to take big bold steps forward.

It's moments when the winning shots to a high school title basketball game are taken by a student with autism or a college baseball pitcher with cerebral palsy proves everyone wrong and with strike outs and curve balls or when a young man shows bravery by sharing with everyone his powerful voice as well as his disabilities on American Idol that remind us of the potential that lies within everyone. While we celebrate these accomplishments, we must also applaud those coaches, fans and producers who see beyond the label and treat each of these young people as people first.

We have seen the power behind what happens when individuals, schools and communities ban together. It's time to take back our neighborhoods and put bullies on alert that all eyes are on them and any act of violence or manipulation will result in severe consequences. This may seem strong but we cannot stand around waiting for the next student to be hospitalized or worse, die.

Walk a Mile in Their Shoes is the spark to start conversation and action. Continuing to raise the level of awareness for children and youth with disabilities is up to all of us. Will we change our behaviors or language and lead by example? No act is too small, too simple or can happen too soon. The power of one must not be denied but the power of many can be even greater!

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 16th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Email from SOSA:

Charlene Wittstock handed over a cheque to SOSA valued at €60,000 and also held a benefit breakfast in Pietermaritzburg with proceeds for SOSA.

This was the first time that Charlene had competed in the Midmar Mile (the biggest timed open water swimming event in the world) and so she decided that rather than swimming it competitively that she would swim alongside SOSA athletes. Joining Charlene was Olympic Gold medallist Roland Schoeman, Olympic silver medallist Terence Parkin and ‘the human polar bear’, Lewis Pugh. Individuals of all disabilities, those competing in the iron man and the biathlon events competed in the first race of the day at 8h30 for a straight 1 mile swim in the Midmar Dam, Pietermaritzburg, SA.

First out of the water was Special Olympics South Africa athlete leader Craig Groenewald and he was closely followed by athletes without disabilities. Charlene Wittstock presented the awards for the ‘Disability category’ with SOSA athletes taking gold, silver and bronze for both males and females in the ‘Intellectually Impaired’ category. Craig Groenewald’s winning time was 21:06 whilst the ladies winner and SOSA representative to the 2011 SOWSG open water swim event, Cornelia Fowler completed the event in 27:49.

Charlene is looking forward to making this an annual event on her calendar whilst SOSA in turn plans to grow the field of 43 athletes that completed this year’s event.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 17th, 2011, 9:44 am

Congratulations Rosita for a 2 million meter season!!!!!!!!

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 17th, 2011, 9:51 am

Pushing the Limits
Jackie Wittenburg participates in swimming and bocce, in addition to track and field. She practices twice a week – and has done so well she's been tapped as an alternate to the 2011 World Summer Games in Athens.
Before Jackie Wittenburg joined Special Olympics, her mom, Kathy, worried. She wondered how a new group of people would react to her daughter. Jackie has Apert Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that can lead to cognitive, speech and hearing deficits, along with malformations of the head, face and limbs.

Kathy was also worried that Jackie's physical limitations would get in the way of athletic pursuits. Yet it was exactly those limitations that brought the Wittenburg family to Special Olympics in the first place. "We were concerned that it would be easy for her to become sedentary, and that would not be a healthy choice," says Kathy. Jackie had undergone leg surgery and needed to get, literally, back on her feet. "We thought if we could start her off young then this just would become just a part of her life...and since there is no age limit in Special Olympics, it was a good fit."

At 12 years old, Jackie was a little nervous about meeting new people. Even at church, when she was promoted to a new youth group, she wore gloves and a hat the first day. But her first day at Special Olympics turned out to be an encouraging experience. Mom Kathy says the athletes, coaches and volunteers are "a very supportive, encouraging group and she fit in right away." Once Jackie figured out how the competitions work, that's when she really started having fun.

Almost immediately, Jackie wanted to push her limits – not an easy task since her feet are fused together and are missing a big toe. But to everyone's surprise, track turned out to be Jackie's favorite event. Her mother says, "I am shocked she can perform as well as she does! We NEVER tell her she can't do anything. As far as I'm concerned, she's exceeded the goals we've set so far."

Kathy now knows she shouldn't have worried about her daughter's self-esteem in the face of sports competition. After winning her first medal, Jackie was just beaming. "For the first time in her life, my daughter told me she was proud of herself."

Now 15 years old, Jackie participates in swimming and bocce, in addition to track and field. She practices twice a week – and has done so well she's been tapped as an alternate to the 2011 World Summer Games in Athens – quite an honor for an athlete her age. To qualify, she had to place well enough in each event, participate in regional and state meets and display good sportsmanship at all times.

Jackie is already looking ahead to her next competition – and perhaps even the 2013 World Winter Games – as well as improving in her newest sport: equestrian. Her mom says Jackie's found a real home at Special Olympics. With the help of her coaches, she works hard to reach her goals in sports and beyond.

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 17th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Welcome back Gene! We missed you.
If I have missed some major accomplishments, I am very sorry. Not on my A game at the moment. But "Way to row"

Stats for the past 2 days

Andy----------------4935
Gene----------------6000
Jim------------------8575
Benny---------------11000
Zander--------------13700
Ronnie---------------25020
Michelle-------------26700
Anita-----------------27290
Christa---------------28050
Rosita----------------36500

I noticed a pattern here. The ladies are rowing mega meters! Awesome! Must be the Valentine's Day chocolates :lol:

ronnie1
500m Poster

Post by ronnie1 » February 17th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Jim, don't worry about keeping up with meter milestones. We aren't rowing for that, we are all rowing for health, fitness, and fun.
Ronnie

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » February 17th, 2011, 8:46 pm

ronnie1 wrote:Jim, don't worry about keeping up with meter milestones. We aren't rowing for that, we are all rowing for health, fitness, and fun.
Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie :)
I also wanted to wish Dagwood and Blondie a Happy 78th Anniversary. They must have a very happy marriage, sure has kept them looking young.
1933: "Blondie Boopadoop," the title role and flapper in the comic strip "Blondie," married "Dagwood Bumstead." The marriage took place three years after the popular comic strip debuted in the nation's newspapers