Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by Citroen » February 11th, 2011, 9:16 am

redzone wrote:Any chance we can get this thread moved to the general section? Ranger isn't interested in any meaningful discussion of training, only feeding his damaged ego. New visitors to the site who are looking for actual help with their training run the risk of being sucked into this vortex of lies, deceit and ill will.
Nice idea, but it won't work.

We can move this to General, we can drop it in the trash but all that will happen is that our favourite troll (carrying with him his band of troll feeding naysayers) will start a brand new thread and on it will go (ad nauseum, ad infinitum).

Having this thread does tend to keep his noise away from the other more useful threads on here. Without him either a) dying, b) giving up erging as a bad job or c) being banned from here then this crap will continue and will have the same cyclic pattern of; if, when, while, should I, could I, failed, I'm better than Mike (VB or C), failed (DNS, DNF, frozen feet, travelling, wrong type of snow, fallen forest), I have 3 WRs, failed, SPI, failed, RWB, failed again, ... if, when, ... (and so on).

It was quiet for a while when some of the naysayers swore off it and left him to post fifteen and more posts/day (starting at 3:30am every morning until 11:00pm each night) to a silent audience.

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 9:55 am

redzone wrote:Ranger isn't interested in any meaningful discussion of training
You don't think that a training regimen that succeeds in advancing a lightweight's UT1 rowing at the same HR (160 bpm) from 1:52 @ 25 spm (10 SPI) to 1:43 @ 25 spm (13 SPI), an improvement of 70 watts and 9 seconds per 500m, is meaningful?

And in this case, despite ten years of aging, from 50 years old to 60 years old, and without any increase in fitness?

Go figure.

A top-end UT1 pace of 1:43 predicts a 6:12 2K.

The 60s lwt 2K WR is 6:42.

No 60s lwt has ever pulled better than 1:52 for 60min.

60min is a good top-end UT1 row.

Who knows what a middlin' UT1 pace of 1:43 predicts.

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 10:11 am

mikvan52 wrote:How is rowing 20 k 9 days before a max 2k effort going to help you get your best time.
Here we go again.

I am not training for any particular regatta.

I am training to be the best that I can be.

I am just doing regattas in the flow of my training, as they come along.

ranger

ginster
Paddler

Post by ginster » February 11th, 2011, 10:32 am

ranger wrote:
mikvan52 wrote:How is rowing 20 k 9 days before a max 2k effort going to help you get your best time.
Here we go again.

ranger
OK - so heres a question for you - you are training to get this massive increase in pace from " a more efficient stroke". it follows that this is a one time gain... ie. once you have a more efficient stroke, then your times will tail off with age, at a similar rate to everyone else, because your fitness will decline....

now... given that when you started this, you thought that the limit of your potential was 6.16.... does this ultimate pace not drop the longer you take to hit "fully trained"?

so, given that you have no real target regattas - has it not occurrred to you, that the longer you take to reach your fully trained goal, the harder it is going to be to hit it? so if you are not training for any particular regatta, then surely as each year that goes by, the likelihood of you hitting your goals reduces... so wouldn't it be in your interests to actually train for a specific regatta? and one that appears sooner rather than later?

ccwenk
Paddler

Post by ccwenk » February 11th, 2011, 10:57 am

ranger wrote: Well, the 1:43 @ 25 spm I am doing in my "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" sessions is as fast as you can row for 2K.

Today, I put in 20K.
ranger
Are you saying that you did 20k, pulling 1:43 @ 25spm the whole time? Congratulations on setting the age group WR 10k on your way to 20k.

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » February 11th, 2011, 11:39 am

ccwenk wrote:
ranger wrote: Well, the 1:43 @ 25 spm I am doing in my "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" sessions is as fast as you can row for 2K.

Today, I put in 20K.
ranger
Are you saying that you did 20k, pulling 1:43 @ 25spm the whole time? Congratulations on setting the age group WR 10k on your way to 20k.
I don't think he does anything of the sort — he rows for the duration it would take to row the claimed distance, and takes plenty of breaks (about every 3-500 meters, judging from his race performances). Result: he goes sort of fast, for nowhere near the claimed distance, and can't post a screenshot because it would reveal yet another lie.

atklein90
2k Poster

Post by atklein90 » February 11th, 2011, 11:41 am

ranger wrote:
Here we go again.

ranger
You're an idiot. Do you think people actually believe that you haven't been training for specific regattas every year for the past 8 years? Regardless of your claims, every year you have been sharpening, preparing to race, trying to set world records. Then, when you completely fail, you simply make the claim that you're not prepared, not sharpened, blah, blah, blah.

For once in your life, why don't you fricking stand up, be a man, and actually tell everyone what the hell you're doing.

Stating that you're doing 20K per day is useless dribble. You're not. You're not maintaining you're heart rate at 160bpm, your max heart rate IS NOT over 185. You're heart would EXPLODE if you were even able to push it over 170. Any old man's heart would. I don't care how conditioned you claim to be. It ain't happening. If it is, prove me wrong old man.

Reality is, you're a just a simple 'has been'. You had a few decent rows back in 2003. Other than that, you haven't been able to do anything. At all.

And you're claims that you've spent the last 7 years 'learning to row well' are absolutely ridiculous. It's not that complicated. In fact, I pulled a 6:21 2K 4 months after sitting on an erg for the first time. Again, it's not that difficult or complicated. A chimpanzee could do it quicker than 7 years. Reality is, you're just a bitter old man with no friends so you choose to make baseless claims on the internet all day long.

Pathetic.
35y, 6'4", 215 lbs, 2k(6:19.5), 5k(16:45.5), 6k(20:15.5), 10k(34:41.3), HM(1:17:44.0)

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 11th, 2011, 11:44 am

atklein90 wrote:
ranger wrote:
Here we go again.

ranger
You're an idiot. Do you think people actually believe that you haven't been training for specific regattas every year for the past 8 years? Regardless of your claims, every year you have been sharpening, preparing to race, trying to set world records. Then, when you completely fail, you simply make the claim that you're not prepared, not sharpened, blah, blah, blah.

For once in your life, why don't you fricking stand up, be a man, and actually tell everyone what the hell you're doing.

Stating that you're doing 20K per day is useless dribble. You're not. You're not maintaining you're heart rate at 160bpm, your max heart rate IS NOT over 185. You're heart would EXPLODE if you were even able to push it over 170. Any old man's heart would. I don't care how conditioned you claim to be. It ain't happening. If it is, prove me wrong old man.

Reality is, you're a just a simple 'has been'. You had a few decent rows back in 2003. Other than that, you haven't been able to do anything. At all.

And you're claims that you've spent the last 7 years 'learning to row well' are absolutely ridiculous. It's not that complicated. In fact, I pulled a 6:21 2K 4 months after sitting on an erg for the first time. Again, it's not that difficult or complicated. A chimpanzee could do it quicker than 7 years. Reality is, you're just a bitter old man with no friends so you choose to make baseless claims on the internet all day long.

Pathetic.

Why are you holding back? :lol: :lol: :lol:

atklein90
2k Poster

Post by atklein90 » February 11th, 2011, 11:52 am

hjs wrote:

Couldn't help myself. :twisted:
35y, 6'4", 215 lbs, 2k(6:19.5), 5k(16:45.5), 6k(20:15.5), 10k(34:41.3), HM(1:17:44.0)

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 12:06 pm

ginster wrote:
OK - so heres a question for you - you are training to get this massive increase in pace from " a more efficient stroke". it follows that this is a one time gain... ie. once you have a more efficient stroke, then your times will tail off with age, at a similar rate to everyone else, because your fitness will decline....

now... given that when you started this, you thought that the limit of your potential was 6.16.... does this ultimate pace not drop the longer you take to hit "fully trained"?

so, given that you have no real target regattas - has it not occurrred to you, that the longer you take to reach your fully trained goal, the harder it is going to be to hit it? so if you are not training for any particular regatta, then surely as each year that goes by, the likelihood of you hitting your goals reduces... so wouldn't it be in your interests to actually train for a specific regatta? and one that appears sooner rather than later?
Sure, my improvement in technique, once I am fully prepared to race, will be a one-time gain.

Then, sure, my times will decline.

I am not delaying my training, but I am also not slighting it.

Good training is top down, from the FM to the sprints, and then putting them together, to the 2K.

You don't do your best over 2K by slighting your UT and AT training.

ranger

MRapp
500m Poster

Post by MRapp » February 11th, 2011, 12:08 pm

atklein90 wrote:
hjs wrote:

Couldn't help myself. :twisted:
That sums it up pretty well. Don't worry, he'll be completely trained when he's 85 and we'll see something unprecedented! A real man would respond to your post with proof of his ability and shut you up. A cowardly weasel named ranger will continue to talk about riding a cowboy.

I'm looking forward to the DNS/DNF/Blow up handle down 5 times experiment tomorrow. Anybody know what time he races...rather, what time he needs to have snuck out of the building by?

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 12:10 pm

atklein90 wrote:Do you think people actually believe that you haven't been training for specific regattas every year for the past 8 years?
I don't care what "people" believe if it's not true.

"People" can believe all sorts of strange stuff.

That's up to them.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 12:13 pm

MRapp wrote:A real man would respond to your post with proof of his ability
I have nothing to prove about my ability.

I have three WR rows.

I have had the best 2K time in my age and weight division for the last two years, even though I was in the last two years in the division, and even though I pulled those 2Ks unprepared, at max drag, still struggling with technique.

Last year, no one my age or older came within 20 seconds of my 2K.

This year, I think that gap might grow to 40 seconds.

At Chicago and/or Detroit, the two weeks after WIRC 2011, I think I will have a good chance of breaking the 60s lwt WR by 10-20 seconds.

That will be plenty good enough for now, don't you think?

That would also put the 60s lwt WR ten seconds or so under the 55s lwt WR.

Given my stroking power now, to pull sub-6:30, all I have to do is rate 30 spm and pull a 2K right through.

I now pull 30 spm in a 3-to-1 ratio.

119 df., 13 SPI

I suspect that at WIRC 2011, no 60s lwt will pull sub-7.

So, at WIRC 2011, I am going to race as a heavyweight.

If I am at weight, I'll get a lightweight stamp, as I did at WIRC 2006, when I raced as a heavyweight.

Then, my heavyweight row will still count as an attempt at the 60s lwt WR.

ranger

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 11th, 2011, 12:28 pm

atklein90 wrote:You're not maintaining you're heart rate at 160bpm
Yes, I am.

But that won't be the end of it.

My anaerobic threshold is 172 bpm, not 160 bpm.

I can row for an hour with my HR right at my anaerobic threshold.

BTW, my heart rate hit 180 bpm OTBike a few days ago, just riding along, cross-training.

I guess I got too hot.

:D :D

ranger

atklein90
2k Poster

Post by atklein90 » February 11th, 2011, 12:45 pm

ranger wrote:
atklein90 wrote:You're not maintaining you're heart rate at 160bpm
Yes, I am.

But that won't be the end of it.

My anaerobic threshold is 172 bpm, not 160 bpm.

I can row for an hour with my HR right at my anaerobic threshold.

BTW, my heart rate hit 180 bpm OTBike a few days ago, just riding along, cross-training.

I guess I got too hot.

:D :D

ranger
No, you're anaerobic threshold is not 172.

No, you're HR did not hit 180 on the bike. If it did, you're extremely out of shape.

The best athletes in the world (which, you are definitely not one of them), don't hit 180 in their daily 'riding along'. Not to mention the fact, that you haven't seen 180 in probably 25 years. Stop lying.