Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
JimR
5k Poster

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by JimR » February 9th, 2011, 10:56 am

ranger wrote:On a Tree Fallen Across the Road

(To hear us talk)

The tree the tempest with a crash of wood
Throws down in front of us is not to bar
Our passage to our journey's end for good,
But just to ask us who we think we are

Insisting always on our own way so.
She likes to halt us in our runner tracks,
And make us get down in a foot of snow
Debating what to do without an ax.

And yet she knows obstruction is in vain:
We wlll not be put off the final goal
We have it hidden in us to attain,
Not though we have to seize earth by the pole

And, tired of aimless circling in one place,
Steer straight off after something into space.

--Robert Frost
Is this a new training band? What SPI/SPM does it reinforce? Who read it on your mp3? We need details!

JimR

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 9th, 2011, 11:20 am

mikvan52 wrote:The "Erging is an art" thing is so tedious Rich.
Sure, if you don't take it to heart.

Rowing well on the erg for a lightweight is 13 SPI.

Why do you pull 9.5 SPI when you race?

It is not good to overlook/ignore your weaknesses.

If you do, you can never train productively.

You can only prepare to race.

Training is an opportunity to get better by overcoming your weaknesses.

When you race, you hide your weaknesses (as much as possible!) and parade your strengths.

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » February 9th, 2011, 11:30 am

ranger wrote:
mikvan52 wrote:The "Erging is an art" thing is so tedious Rich.
Sure, if you don't take it to heart.

Rowing well on the erg for a lightweight is 13 SPI.

Why do you pull 9.5 SPI when you race?

It is not good to overlook/ignore your weaknesses.

If you do, you can never train productively.

You can only prepare to race.

Training is an opportunity to get better by overcoming your weaknesses.

When you race, you hide your weaknesses (as much as possible!) and parade your strengths.

ranger
Maybe he has issues with his ability to rythmically gesture? Perhaps you could give him some training exercises to improve this ... and maybe in 7-10 years he will be able to gesture rythmically at WIRC ... unless the weather is bad, or his feet get cold in the snow, or a tree falls on him, or he doesn't feel like it, or his muscles aren't greased, or he is stale, or or or ...

JimR

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 9th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Dougie (or is it H.....) :wink:

You have my full support, keep saying everything you do :D

Gus
1k Poster

Post by Gus » February 9th, 2011, 12:33 pm

hjs wrote:Dougie (or is it H.....) :wink:

Full support? Yet you don't pay attention to what he says. You're still "feeding the troll"? Why is that? :wink:

I'd bet you still read the comments on the thread even when you aren't posting comments.

Gus
1k Poster

Post by Gus » February 9th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Careful. Moderator running amuck!

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » February 9th, 2011, 1:11 pm

JimR wrote:
ranger wrote:On a Tree Fallen Across the Road

(To hear us talk)

The tree the tempest with a crash of wood
Throws down in front of us is not to bar
Our passage to our journey's end for good,
But just to ask us who we think we are

Insisting always on our own way so.
She likes to halt us in our runner tracks,
And make us get down in a foot of snow
Debating what to do without an ax.

And yet she knows obstruction is in vain:
We wlll not be put off the final goal
We have it hidden in us to attain,
Not though we have to seize earth by the pole

And, tired of aimless circling in one place,
Steer straight off after something into space.

--Robert Frost
Is this a new training band? What SPI/SPM does it reinforce? Who read it on your mp3? We need details!

JimR
No, it is an apt description of this thread.

Byron Drachman
10k Poster

Post by Byron Drachman » February 9th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Mike wrote:RIch: Please add another item to this list:
The art of running into others boats on the water (being unable to steer)
Hi Mike,

I was pretty sure before the regatta that our intrepid hero would have trouble exactly at the place he did, and before the regatta I wanted to give him a few notes including some steering tips with a particular suggestion of how to negotiate that bend, but instead of wanting to hear advice from a local who knows the river, he responded with a rude rejection of my offer.

You might enjoy this: Further down the river there is a tight turn, and one of more our experienced rowers forgot to steer carefully and ran into a stump. I was nearby and watched his boat slowly sink after he opened a huge hole in the hull. His friends, including me, won't let him hear the end of it. We attached a sign to the stump reminding everybody who goes past the stump about the collision, and at the end of the year we gave him an Edward J. Smith (captain of the Titanic) award. Of course we would not make fun of a beginner.
Captain Ed's Stump.jpg
Captain Ed's Stump.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
The question for the day: will our intrepid hero drive to the Cincy regatta and then DNS or will he stay home to execute his DNS?

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » February 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Gus wrote:
hjs wrote:Dougie (or is it H.....) :wink:

Full support? Yet you don't pay attention to what he says. You're still "feeding the troll"? Why is that? :wink:

I'd bet you still read the comments on the thread even when you aren't posting comments.
yes, I browse true them, I must admit that his failing makes me gniffel. But the real fun is over, up untill a few years back the nutty pro really tried, but nowedays he doesn't anymore, it very well may be that he does not break 7.00 this year. Not that this will stop him posting though.

But indeed Dougie H has my 100% support, the world would be a better place without mister R. :roll:

ranger
Marathon Poster

Post by ranger » February 9th, 2011, 2:51 pm

JImR wrote:Maybe he has issues with his ability to rythmically gesture? Perhaps you could give him some training exercises to improve this ... and maybe in 7-10 years he will be able to gesture rythmically at WIRC ...
Sure.

The rhythm of the rowing stroke, I think, is the essence of the matter.

So, I now row right on the beat.

12/8 meter

LATS/arms-back-HEELS-heels-heels-TOES-toes-toes/QUADS-hams-abs-

I'm a steamroller, baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N91EOUunpTA

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/sc ... =SC0024767

ranger
Rich Cureton M 72 5'11" 165 lbs. 2K pbs: 6:27.5 (hwt), 6:28 (lwt)

JohnBove
1k Poster

Post by JohnBove » February 9th, 2011, 4:58 pm

ranger wrote:The work that I have done on the erg between 2003 and the present has been exclusively on technique.

So any 2K time that I now achieve, this year or in any subsequent year, that is significantly better than the heavyweight qualification time for WIRC 2011 of 6:44 can be attributed solely to the improvements I have made in my technique.

I am happy with this as a test of our disagreement, and I am sure that you are, too.

So!

If I now pull 6:35 for 2K, you should probably reconsider.

If I now pull 6:30 for 2K, your claim is wrong.

If I now pull 6:25 for 2K, your claim is silly.

If I now pull 6:20 for 2K, your claim is ridiculous.

And if I now pull 6:15 for 2K, you have your head up your ass so far you couldn't see the light of day with 3-D glasses.
No, this will be not be a test of our disagreement, and I didn't make any claim. You'll do none of these things because you can't and so your conjectures about my "claim" are moot. And, even if you were able, it would say nothing about going back and forth on a piece of gym equipment being an art, which it most certainly is not. Nor is "improving technique."

You have, however, come close to making being repulsive an art.

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » February 9th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Byron Drachman wrote:
Mike wrote:RIch: Please add another item to this list:
The art of running into others boats on the water (being unable to steer)
Hi Mike,

I was pretty sure before the regatta that our intrepid hero would have trouble exactly at the place he did, and before the regatta I wanted to give him a few notes including some steering tips with a particular suggestion of how to negotiate that bend, but instead of wanting to hear advice from a local who knows the river, he responded with a rude rejection of my offer.

You might enjoy this: Further down the river there is a tight turn, and one of more our experienced rowers forgot to steer carefully and ran into a stump. I was nearby and watched his boat slowly sink after he opened a huge hole in the hull. His friends, including me, won't let him hear the end of it. We attached a sign to the stump reminding everybody who goes past the stump about the collision, and at the end of the year we gave him an Edward J. Smith (captain of the Titanic) award. Of course we would not make fun of a beginner.
Captain Ed's Stump.jpg
The question for the day: will our intrepid hero drive to the Cincy regatta and then DNS or will he stay home to execute his DNS?
It may be dependant on the weather. Is Cincy snow bound? Im leaning towards a lack of muscle grease or the injury he sustained when the saintly Mrs Ranger found out he drove 600 miles to step on a pair of scales and then drove home.

lancs
2k Poster

Post by lancs » February 9th, 2011, 5:04 pm

ranger wrote:If technique makes no difference OTErg, then I find it hard to explain why, even though I am almost a decade older, in my everyday training, rowing well at low drag (119 df.), I now go along 1:44 @ 26 spm (12 SPI) with a middlin' UT1 HR (e.g., 160 bpm) while back in 2002-2003, in my everyday training, rowing poorly at max drag (200+ df.), I used to go along 1:54 @ 26 spm (9 SPI) with the same HR.
I find it very easy to explain:

YOUR UT1 PACE IS NOT 1:44

Never has been, never will be. You cannot row 5k at this pace and therefore it is entirely reasonable to say this is not your UT1 pace. I know you're likely to reply with a statement such as '1:39 is my 5k target', but even a total fuckwit like you must realise that if you can't pull 1:44 for 5k, then 1:39 is somewhat unlikely.

Given your long history of telling lies, this will remain until you produce any evidence to the contrary. Any evidence. So far, you have produced none. None whatsoever...

Perhaps that clarifies it for you?

Why do you lie so much?

PaulH
6k Poster

Post by PaulH » February 9th, 2011, 5:06 pm

ranger wrote: I am happy with this as a test of our disagreement, and I am sure that you are, too.
Of course you're happy with it as a test, it fits your overall pattern of not being held to account. Pick a test that has a deadline and I'm sure you'll create some interest.

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » February 9th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Personally i think Dougie deserves a medal because he has been filtering Von ManBatts musings for years. The repetitive nature of his postulating wank must drive him insane. If i had any spare dosh id send you to the Caribbean for a holiday mate. Just think,no internet," no in the fall, no not fully trained, no erging is an art, no my 3 WR without being prepared rowing like shit at max drag". Just a dusky Barbadian bit of totty feeding you cold beers!