Ducks In A Row-beginning Ducks?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Dinaflo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dinaflo » June 22nd, 2005, 12:17 pm

Is there something like baby ducks for beginners? 58 year old "babies" to be exact.' <br />Need the inspiration to be consistent as I begin rowing to lose weight and increase metabolism, but I'm not sure I'm able to add much to the ducks in a row group yet<br />Thanks!

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » June 22nd, 2005, 1:35 pm

Hi Dinaflo and welcome to the pond!!<br /><br />I think we don´t have any "baby ducks for beginners"... <br /><br />Usually, every duck in the pond adds what they can do! As the time goes by, and you are felling much better in the erg or water, you will impruve your meters. So, don´t make such a big deal of it!, everything you can do is good to the team!. <br /><br />I hope you fell as good as I do in this team, the girls are really great and it´s very motivating. <br /><br />Cheers! <br />Keep erging!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » June 22nd, 2005, 1:52 pm

Dinaflo - La Flaca speaks for all of us. We're delighted to welcome you. No pressure here - just friendly encouragement, a place to celebrate your triumphs, and complain about your problems. Tell us something more about yourself. How did you find the Concept2 Indoor Rower? Where do you row? What are doing as far as dietary/nutritional changes to help you lose unwanted pounds?<br /><br />-Linda/Harly<br /><br />

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » June 22nd, 2005, 4:23 pm

Hi, Dinaflo!<br /><br />I am pretty new in the pond too and at first I wondered, "Am I going to drag DIAR down?" But I realized it doesn't work that way at all. It's not competition, just inspiration. And every meter you add is another meter for the team. You can't log negative meters! As for age, well the Ducks range widely in age, all the way from 9 years old on up. Soo.. Welcome to The Pond!<br /><br />- Krysta<br />(Swamp Hen)

[old] Dinaflo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dinaflo » June 22nd, 2005, 4:25 pm

Thanks - to the ducks who responded! Husband and I bought a Concept II several years ago but have not been consistent in using it. We both used Nautilus machines for awhile during the time we lived in New Hampshire - that's where we discovered the Concept II rowing machine. <br /> I also like to walk but the problem has been to be consistent. What I would really like is to change my habits! Have also been trying some yoga poses to help with flexibility . I'm only 5 feet tall and uncomfortable with the weight I've gained, about 20 lbs over my desired weight.<br />We put our rower in the living room a few weeks ago, beside the treadmill. Then I hurt my elbow and rowing hurt. It seems to be ok now.<br />I homeschool and during the summer I'm hoping to get on a schedule and establish some new and permanent habits. Husband will continue to use Nautilus. We are both trying to eat healthier foods.<br />I have enjoyed reading about others who are using the rowing machines and UI'm determined to give it a try. Stories in the ConceptII Update magazine have also been an encouragement to me. I'm also trying to learn how to post correctly, hope I'm going to get the hang of it soon.<br /><br />

[old] Canada Goose

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Canada Goose » June 22nd, 2005, 9:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Dinaflo+Jun 22 2005, 01:25 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Dinaflo @ Jun 22 2005, 01:25 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I homeschool and during the summer I'm hoping to get on a schedule and establish some new and permanent habits.  Husband will continue to use Nautilus.  We are both trying to eat healthier foods.<br />I have enjoyed reading about others who are using the rowing machines and UI'm determined to give it a try.  Stories in the ConceptII Update magazine have also been an encouragement to me.  I'm also trying to learn how to post correctly, hope I'm going to get the hang of it soon. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Dinaflo,<br /><br />We homeschool too. My kids are 9 and 13 and know that they are free to do what they want for a while first thing in the morning while I do my row. This has worked well for us. I find that if I don't do the row first thing before I start getting involved with my kids' activities and projects, I never get around to doing it. Plus my nine year old is even a member of Ducks in a Row, too! <br /><br />Shannon

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » June 23rd, 2005, 11:33 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Jun 22 2005, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Jun 22 2005, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Dinaflo - La Flaca speaks for all of us.  We're delighted to welcome you.  No pressure here - just friendly encouragement, a place to celebrate your triumphs, and complain about your problems.  Tell us something more about yourself.  How did you find the Concept2 Indoor Rower?  Where do you row?  What are doing as far as dietary/nutritional changes to help you lose unwanted pounds?<br /><br />-Linda/Harly <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Harly you just said better words than mine!! That´s a little bit of what I was trying to say... unfortunally, I´m losing my english, so every time I try to post is a little hard to express my toughts! sorry! <br /><br />Keep erging!

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » June 23rd, 2005, 12:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-la_flaca+Jun 23 2005, 10:33 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(la_flaca @ Jun 23 2005, 10:33 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-LindaM+Jun 22 2005, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LindaM @ Jun 22 2005, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Dinaflo - La Flaca speaks for all of us.  We're delighted to welcome you.  No pressure here - just friendly encouragement, a place to celebrate your triumphs, and complain about your problems.  Tell us something more about yourself.  How did you find the Concept2 Indoor Rower?  Where do you row?  What are doing as far as dietary/nutritional changes to help you lose unwanted pounds?<br /><br />-Linda/Harly <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Harly you just said better words than mine!! That´s a little bit of what I was trying to say... unfortunally, I´m losing my english, so every time I try to post is a little hard to express my toughts! sorry! <br /><br />Keep erging! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />La Flaca - I guarantee your English is better than my Spanish! And besides, you add so much (not just meters, but those too!) to the Ducks. We would be a lot smaller (in lots of ways) and much less fun without you. -Harly<br />

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » June 24th, 2005, 4:56 am

I’m a struggling duck. This week has been better than most and I’m hoping to keep rowing on a regular basis. I did have to stop reading the forum for a bit, got a complex reading everyone’s fabulous workouts. I gave myself permission to do mediocre workouts and now I’ve told myself to do a mediocre workout every day. It seems to be working so far.<br /><br />My goal is to be able to do the blue moon row on Aug 19. I haven’t rowed 5000 meters in one sitting yet, much less 2 x day. <br /><br />So join the ducks, join me towards the bottom of the list, but don’t worry about slowing up the ducks rowing fast. We’re all rowing at our own paces.

[old] Dinaflo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dinaflo » June 24th, 2005, 8:11 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LandLocked+Jun 24 2005, 03:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LandLocked @ Jun 24 2005, 03:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I’m a struggling duck. This week has been better than most and I’m hoping to keep rowing on a regular basis. I did have to stop reading the forum for a bit, got a complex reading everyone’s fabulous workouts. I gave myself permission to do mediocre workouts and now I’ve told myself to do a mediocre workout every day. It seems to be working so far.<br /><br />My goal is to be able to do the blue moon row on Aug 19. I haven’t rowed 5000 meters in one sitting yet, much less 2 x day. <br /><br />So join the ducks, join me towards the bottom of the list, but don’t worry about slowing up the ducks rowing fast. We’re all rowing at our own paces. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Dinaflo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dinaflo » June 24th, 2005, 8:24 am

<!--QuoteBegin-LandLocked+Jun 24 2005, 03:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(LandLocked @ Jun 24 2005, 03:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I’m a struggling duck. This week has been better than most and I’m hoping to keep rowing on a regular basis. I did have to stop reading the forum for a bit, got a complex reading everyone’s fabulous workouts. I gave myself permission to do mediocre workouts and now I’ve told myself to do a mediocre workout every day. It seems to be working so far.<br /><br />My goal is to be able to do the blue moon row on Aug 19. I haven’t rowed 5000 meters in one sitting yet, much less 2 x day. <br /><br />So join the ducks, join me towards the bottom of the list, but don’t worry about slowing up the ducks rowing fast. We’re all rowing at our own paces. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Landlocked, I'm trying to start rowing on a regular basis too, and decided to just start rowing daily and not worry about anything except making daily rowing a habit. So far I've rowed two days and I hope by August to be able to do the blue moon row too! <br /> I have an older treadmill which works great but is noisy and yesterday it sounded like it was saying "don't give up, don't give up". - Along with that,<br />this forum is just what I needed. Diane

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » July 30th, 2005, 3:43 pm

Hey Dinaflo, how’s the rowing going? <br /><br />I didn’t succeed at rowing daily back then, I did “real” workout and then lay down for a week. I’m trying to create a daily habit again. Today I managed to row 5000 meters. I figure there’s still about 3 weeks to get into the habit & more in shape so I can finish the blue moon row. I also need to eat better. I’ve gotten into a bad pattern of not eating and then eating a bunch of junk cause I’m starving.

[old] Merganser

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Merganser » July 30th, 2005, 4:16 pm

Hi Dinaflo,<br /><br />One of the nice things about rowing is that it isn't only for the younger people. I, too, am 58 and started rowing in earnest only this past April. Believe me, I'm not a morning person, but I forced myself to get up a half hour earlier (5:45 am) so I can row for 20-30 minutes before work. If I left it for the evening, more often than not, I didn't get to it. The first few days were brutal but now it is routine. If, for some reason, I can't do rowing one morning, I'm all but in withdrawal. Liekwise, the way I make sure I go to the gym is to go straight from work - no excuses - Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday. Make yourself an appointment to row. It is as important as other appointments!<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />gr