Codependence In The Making!

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Specialt

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Specialt » February 24th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Hi there, Everyone! Just thought I would stop in and introduce myself. I am just purchasing a Model D and I am looking for a fellow beginnerto share this journey with. That sounds so Hokey! I am hoping that this won't be so difficult if I can share the experience. <br /><br />I can see that most of you are seasoned veterans to this rowing world. Can you give a strugling fledgling some advice for sticking this out (if, in the end, I have to go alone)? <br /><br />I have had a chance to work on a Model C at my local YMCA but I am just now getting around to buying one of my own. Does anyone have an helpful hints as to what it takes to make this a lasting routine instead of a potential addition to the collection of gyme equipment in my basement. <br />

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 24th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Specialt - You found your way to the crowd that can help. There will be welcome and advice galore, right here. There are more newbies posting (and probably lurking too!) than you know. Just ask your questions, post your successes (and "learning moments") and try to think of rowing as akin to brushing your teeth. Would you think about going a whole day without brushing your teeth? What about if time was tight? What about if the family was screaming for their breakfast and their soccer cleats? You'd find a way to brush your teeth anyway. Right? Well, you got it then! - L.

[old] LaurenS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LaurenS » February 24th, 2005, 3:50 pm

Hey, I'm fairly new myself. I've been rowing on and off (mostly off) for over a year, but just got serious in mid-January. For me, the "Stick with it" challenege the Concept2 UK site offers has really helped (here's the link: <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/docs/stick_with_it.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/docs/stick_with_it.pdf</a>). For some reason the idea of looking at a pyramid with a lot of "rest day" stickers seems unbearable to me (c:

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 24th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Well, although I did row years ago on the water (college) I'm pretty much a newbie again. Got my rower a few weeks ago. I think that posting on the forum has helped a lot. Joining a team (wanna be on Ducks in a row?) has helped tremendously. It may seem odd, but there are a few days when I really didn't want to workout, but felt as if I'd be letting the gals down. Also it helps to see my meters add up on the team roster and compare myself to the others. We have a whole range to compare to as well. <br /><br />As was posted earlier, make it a habit. If you don't feel like it get dressed anyway, and think about it. I find if i get into my workout clothes then I can usually talk myself into "a few meters". After that I usually get into the rhythm and go a few more. <br /><br />Make a point of joining the discussions on the board, ask any questions you have, and welcome!

[old] Guest_Specialt_*

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Guest_Specialt_* » February 24th, 2005, 6:44 pm

I am really suprised at how quickly everyone has been able to reply! Thank you so much! This is getting more and more exciting by the minute. like I mentioned before I have had a little bit of experience with the Model C but I was put off from a good routine simply because it was at the YMCA. I promised myself that when I could I would get one of my own. I am just afraid of it falling by the wayside like so many other machines. <br /><br />Your advice to make it somewhat of a grooming ritual is a really neat concept. Just like brushing your teeth, you wouldn't leave home without doing it. I regularly get up each morning at around 5 am (I am just really strange like that ) and I suppose I could fit this in between my cereal and a my shower. Ha ha I think that would work wonderfully! <br /><br />I want to start out slow but eventually work up to 30-60 min sessions but I am used to working out in the evening and crashing as soon as I get home from the gym. For you all that do morning workouts, do you find it very draining to start the day off with such a demanding exercise or do you find it gives you more energy throughout the day? <br /><br />This is really great! Just splendid, I tell you!<br />

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 24th, 2005, 6:47 pm

I'm not a morning person at all, so most of my workouts are in the evening...which is actually not good for me, tends to get me overheated a bit and i don't sleep well. On the few times i've gotten myself out of bed early enough to workout I found that I had a lot more energy through out the day. My goal next month is to transition so that most of my workouts are in the morning.

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 24th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Hi Specialt!<br />To steal a phrase - Codependent No More! See, we're all about encouragement around here. Nothing wrong with a cheering section if you ask me! I have been using the C2 for about a year now, but every now and then it helps to read these posts when I don't want to drag my rear end in there and get on with it. Like snappy was saying, the team concept has helped me a lot too. I wouldn't want to let the Ducks down - oh ha ha - get it? Duck down! There I go quacking myself up again! Okay, so I'm a little nuts! <br />Anyway, my workouts are all over the place as to time. For instance, last week I did a long row while watching The Green Mile late one night. In the middle of the week, I managed to get up and start rowing at 0445. I prefer later in the day, but I sure was full of energy the day I rowed early. So - you just have to test the waters and see what works for you. The key is making it fun. The online rankings are what got me hooked into keeping at this. You will surprise yourself at what you can accomplish if you just start slow and steady. <br />Don't forget to brush your teeth!!<br />Sue aka Bufflehead

[old] sivkoburko

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sivkoburko » February 25th, 2005, 11:10 am

Hi Specialt and everyone else,<br /><br />I'm one of those newbies who's been lurking for a while, so thought I'd take the plunge and post.<br /><br />I am definitely not a morning person, but I've found that the mornings are great for getting in longer steady rows when you just find a reasonable place and can then just enjoy a gentle mental start to the day and provided I have a decent breakfast, no problems feeling tired through the day - if anything, I'm better for it. Having said that, the evenings are when I'd choose to do anything more intensive (pyramids, sets of shorter distances and the like) as I've got more time and energy (seems to peak at around 8pm), can get the weights done and then go home, eat and crash. <br /><br />The forums - this one and the UK one - are great for advice and motivation. Even so, I'm with Bufflehead on finding the online rankings a very good motivator, both for moving up the rankings and just seeing the metres add up.<br /><br />Getting a tad jealous of so many people buying a C2 - disadvantage of studenthood I guess, though I have to say the uni gym is pretty good<br /> <br /><br />Happy rowing, Claire

[old] Specialt

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Specialt » February 25th, 2005, 11:52 am

that is a really good point. I suppose it make sense to vary your workout from morning to evening. I could do a short row in the morning and leave the intensity for the evening when I am ready to get rid of the frustrations of the day. <br /><br />By the way, don't be so hard on studenthood. I had used that YMCA Model C for several months and every time I had to row with so many other people in the room I felt really uncomfortable. Not Phobic, but I just craved some privacy and personal space. That drove me to put aside a little bit each pay check and get one of my own. I should admit that it took me two years to get to this point... I hope that helps <br /><br /> <br /><br />

[old] Avid Napper

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Avid Napper » February 25th, 2005, 4:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+Feb 25 2005, 10:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ Feb 25 2005, 10:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->that is a really good point.  I suppose it make sense to vary your workout from morning to evening.  I could do a short row in the morning and leave the intensity for the evening when I am ready to get rid of the frustrations of the day.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm a gal who needs lists, so I make sure that rowing is on my "list of things to do" for the day. I tend to erg in the late afternoon (should get going any minute now ), because I take the dogs for a long walk in the a.m. (and need to earn a living, too). I also bought one of those rowing board games that requires one to row 5,000K to advance just one space--that makes sure each workout adds up to something (and that each workout counts, too).<br /><br />Lastly, I have a TV set up in front of my erg, and try to row when a favorite show is on (at 4:00, I catch "Oprah"; at 5:00, "Ellen"). Consider my chance to "catch up" with some of my favorite people.<br /><br />Yes, I have an active fantasy life....doesn't hurt!<br /><br />Best o' luck with it all, regardless, <br />Avid Napper<br />Ducks In A Row

[old] sivkoburko

Women's Forum

Post by [old] sivkoburko » February 25th, 2005, 7:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+Feb 25 2005, 10:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ Feb 25 2005, 10:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />By the way, don't be so hard on studenthood.  I had used that YMCA Model C for several months and every time I had to row with so many other people in the room I felt really uncomfortable.  Not Phobic, but I just craved some privacy and personal space.  That drove me to put aside a little bit each pay check and get one of my own. <br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />To be honest, I love studenthood - a fully funded Ph.D in the UK is a dream come true <br /><br />The issue is more moving house pretty frequently (and going abroad) and shared houses rarely have room for an erg <br /><br />Once the fieldwork's done, maybe. <br /><br />On the other hand, I love the uni gym as it is wonderfully low-key and non-precious, and it means I get my weights done as well, which I've found central to improving my fitness and losing weight. So I'd still have to go to the gym anyway - and one C2 is just under a thousand pounds (USD 1900) here, while the gym is only a hundred pounds per year. As you say, 'you do the math' Could I really justify an erg with such inexpensive fees and only living 20 mins walk away?!<br /><br />On another note, tried rowing strapless tonight - more out of curiousity than anything, having read a fair amount about it on the forums. Good result - worked a lot harder, but no instability or flying off and splits only 2 secs slower over 3k (2:06). Definitely going to include more strapless rowing in the future - feels gooood. <br /><br />Claire

[old] LandLocked

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LandLocked » February 26th, 2005, 6:39 am

I just got my C2 model D on Monday, previously I’d tried a model C at a gym a couple of times, decided it didn’t inflame my shin splints and took the plunge. Now that I’ve got the PM3 in English rather than German I’m all set. If you are like me and manage to get your display monitor in a foreign language you can’t read during assembly, take the batteries out for 10 min, that will re-set it.

[old] Specialt

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Specialt » March 31st, 2005, 10:43 am

Quick question!<br /><br /> What exactly are "Ducks in a Row ?" Is this a rowing club or am I more lost that I had earlier thought. <br />

[old] KathiS

Women's Forum

Post by [old] KathiS » March 31st, 2005, 11:00 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Specialt+Mar 31 2005, 08:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Specialt @ Mar 31 2005, 08:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Quick question!<br /><br />    What exactly are "Ducks in a Row ?"  Is this a rowing club or am I more lost that I had earlier thought. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Specialt,<br /><br />Ducks in a Row is an online indoor rowing club for women. <br /><br />Click here:<br /><b><span style='color:purple'><span style='color:blue'><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1408' target='_blank'>Ducks in a Row</a> </span> </span> </b>for more information.<br /><br />We'd love to have you on our team!

[old] Dawnald_duck

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Dawnald_duck » April 1st, 2005, 8:47 am

Hello, Specialt! I am also a relative newbie, just starting to do this erging thing regularly in December '04. Once I figured out how to do it without hurting myself, it became a lot easier to enjoy the progress! <br /><br />I am recently divorced with no kids, so I am lucky to have a lot of newfound free time to work on what I hope will be a lifetime habit. I am also pretty shy when it comes to exercising in front of people, plus I am very easily distracted by them, so I think buying my own C2-D to use in my quiet basement was a brilliant idea.<br /><br />The main things that keep me motivated:<br />1) My drill sergeant of a dog. When I get home from work, it's WALK time! Put on those walkin' shoes, momma, and let's GO! While I'm at it, I change into something I can row in, and plop down on the erg when we get back from our quick jaunt. I don't give myself a chance to think about whether I really want to do it or not.<br /><br />2) Tracking my progress. I am definitely an instant gratification girl. If I don't get pretty good at something quickly, I tend to lose patience with it/ myself. Compared to 99.9% of the folks ranking themselves and in the rowing world, I wouldn't say I am very "good" at this. <br />I found another way to look at it, though, since I actually still enjoy it (and $850 was quite an investment for me!) : I keep getting better, in a very measurable way. I know this because I have been logging every workout since I started, long and short. I am amazed at how I keep exceeding my own assumptions about what I can do.<br />(And the Million Meter Club - I've never wanted a T-Shirt so much in my life!)<br /><br />3) Knowing that there are very kind, supportive folks out there simply interested in everyone enjoying this activity & getting the most of it. You found 'em! I am not very competitive at all and am most uncomfortable in team sports, but I think I have finally found my niche (basement rowing!). It's these personalities that you see posting on this forum that keep me excited about what I'm doing.<br /><br />Sorry for rambling. My point is: I hope you enjoy your new Model D. <br /><br />Dawn