Ranger's training thread

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Ranger's training thread

Post by Citroen » November 22nd, 2010, 1:04 pm

jliddil wrote: Can you explain polls? I thought the x-axis was seconds? Or is this ~450 data points taken over the total 2000 meters/race time
The laptop running the venue race software has to collect the stroke/pace data from 40 (red) or 40 (yellow) or 20 (green) ergos that are wired in a RS485 serial network. It does that by sending a CSAFE instruction to send data and collect the next stroke to each ergo in turn. The venue racing software then mangles and merges those data from each ergo to produce the pretty pictures and the data files (stroke,split and results). With any polling system there's always going to be some missed data (the signal to the PC comes down a USB connection to the first machine in the RS485 network).

There's everything you need to know to set-up and run a race at http://www.concept2.com/us/support/manu ... eGuide.pdf

And a few other bits and bobs at http://www.concept2.com/us/service/soft ... upport.asp

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » November 22nd, 2010, 1:18 pm

TomR wrote: blah blah blah

Your science is unequal to the task at hand. The guy is a certified fruit loop. Conjecture, hypothesis, data are as useful as a premature ejaculation in a whorehouse.

He cannot do what he has alleged he can do, and he won't do what he could in the best of circumstances because he's too addled to proceed rationally.

Michael Palin: Still not sign of land. How long is it?

What continues to astonish me is how many people, even when they have slagged him in a post, go on to wish him 'good luck' or 'I hope that you win' or 'I hope that you achieve your goals.' While it isn't necessary to wish the person ill will, it likewise isn't necessary to imply that others who generally show better sportsmanship aren't worthy of winning races or holding records that TSO seeks.
55-59: 1:33.5 3:19.2 6:55.7 18:22.0 2:47:26.5
60-64: 1:35.9 3:23.8 7:06.7 18:40.8 2:48:53.6
65-69: 1:38.6 3:31.9 7:19.2 19:26.6 3:02:06.0
70-74: 1:40.2 3:33.4 7:32.6 19:50.5 3:06:36.8
75-76: 1:43.9 3:47.7 7:50.2 20:51.3 3:13:55.7

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » November 22nd, 2010, 1:29 pm

TomR wrote: Your science is unequal to the task at hand. The guy is a certified fruit loop. Conjecture, hypothesis, data are as useful as a premature ejaculation in a whorehouse.

He cannot do what he has alleged he can do, and he won't do what he could in the best of circumstances because he's too addled to proceed rationally.
I do not think that it is any different calling someone who possibly has mental health issues "a fruit loop" than using the N-word. He may or may not have a mental illness and if he does it would be prudent for him to seek treatment. I'll leave that to professionals. I do have my own opinion based on my own experiences with those with diagnosed mental illness. That is why I think it is really not a good idea for C2 to continue to give this person a venue as he seems to demonstrate behaviors that might suggest mental health or substance abuse issues. It allows us to use discriminatory terms which may be offensive to others and further stigmatizes those who have mental illness and are in treatment or have undergone treatment.
JD

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » November 22nd, 2010, 1:32 pm

Yankeerunner wrote:
TomR wrote: blah blah blah

Your science is unequal to the task at hand. The guy is a certified fruit loop. Conjecture, hypothesis, data are as useful as a premature ejaculation in a whorehouse.

Michael Palin: Still not sign of land. How long is it?

What continues to astonish me is how many people, even when they have slagged him in a post, go on to wish him 'good luck' or 'I hope that you win' or 'I hope that you achieve your goals.' While it isn't necessary to wish the person ill will, it likewise isn't necessary to imply that others who generally show better sportsmanship aren't worthy of winning races or holding records that TSO seeks.
I hope you don't get the impression I am implying others don't deserve to win/place. My thoughts are only based on the data at hand without getting into the continued name calling etc.

That's a rather personal question isn't it? :D
JD

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » November 22nd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Citroen wrote:
jliddil wrote:(but based on eye-balling the graphs as I don't have raw data)
Raw data is here:
should have looked here:
http://concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21637
JD

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » November 22nd, 2010, 1:43 pm

jliddil wrote:should have looked here:
http://concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21637
The data on that thread aren't from Ranger. The data I posted on here comes from Ranger's up and down graph.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » November 22nd, 2010, 1:43 pm

There was one comment on the UK forum to the effect that he barely made weight and had done a lot of sweating to get there. Obviously poor strategy, but it seems to be his routine approach.

Bob S.

bellboy
2k Poster

Post by bellboy » November 22nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

jliddil wrote:
TomR wrote: Your science is unequal to the task at hand. The guy is a certified fruit loop. Conjecture, hypothesis, data are as useful as a premature ejaculation in a whorehouse.

I do not think that it is any different calling someone who possibly has mental health issues "a fruit loop" than using the N-word. He may or may not have a mental illness and if he does it would be prudent for him to seek treatment. I'll leave that to professionals. I do have my own opinion based on my own experiences with those with diagnosed mental illness. That is why I think it is really not a good idea for C2 to continue to give this person a venue as he seems to demonstrate behaviors that might suggest mental health or substance abuse issues. It allows us to use discriminatory terms which may be offensive to others and further stigmatizes those who have mental illness and are in treatment or have undergone treatment.
I don't think he is mentally ill at all. He is the ultimate preening narcisist. He is incapable of functioning without the feedback we (his enablers) give him. My post op recovery has been enhanced immeasurably by his "perfomance" yesterday. My mate sent me text messages to the hospital as the race went on. To see his strategy go tits up so spectaculally was wonderful to behold. When i found out he was taking breaks it became clear that "working" with 1.37 at 25spm was for about two strokes max. Seriously how can you spend 7 years learning to row with "the best coach in the sport" and balls it up so badly? I have had a truly awful year but after BIRC i am a man reborn. Thank you Rich.

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » November 22nd, 2010, 1:51 pm

jliddil wrote:
Yankeerunner wrote:
Michael Palin: Still no sign of land. How long is it?

"I meant how long have we been in the lifeboat, you stupid Git!" :lol:
55-59: 1:33.5 3:19.2 6:55.7 18:22.0 2:47:26.5
60-64: 1:35.9 3:23.8 7:06.7 18:40.8 2:48:53.6
65-69: 1:38.6 3:31.9 7:19.2 19:26.6 3:02:06.0
70-74: 1:40.2 3:33.4 7:32.6 19:50.5 3:06:36.8
75-76: 1:43.9 3:47.7 7:50.2 20:51.3 3:13:55.7

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » November 22nd, 2010, 1:57 pm

Yankeerunner wrote:
jliddil wrote:
Yankeerunner wrote:

Oh god ... don't ask NAV that! With his new bling (well earned I might add) I'm sure he will say he has grown ...

JimR

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » November 22nd, 2010, 1:58 pm

Yankeerunner wrote:
jliddil wrote:
Yankeerunner wrote:

33 days, sir
JD

DUThomas
2k Poster

Post by DUThomas » November 22nd, 2010, 1:58 pm

Citroen wrote: Raw data is here:

Code: Select all

[353,155],[354,155],[355,154],[356,154];
Am I the only one disgusted with the brazen fabrication of data? Ranger never ever mentioned working with 2:34-2:35, so those data can't possibly be right.
David -- 45, 195, 6'1"

[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1264886662.png[/img]

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Post by mikvan52 » November 22nd, 2010, 1:59 pm

Yankeerunner wrote:
jliddil wrote:
Yankeerunner wrote:

This long? 7:02.x ?? .......... :wink:
http://concept2.co.uk/birc/result_analy ... c_id=37858

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » November 22nd, 2010, 2:34 pm

TomR wrote:
jliddil wrote:To play devil's advocate here. We do not "know" a priori what his plan or race "strategy" was since it appears what he writes here may or may not reflect what he is really doing or plans to do. Thus as an outside observer only looking at data I draw the conclusion that this was what he planned to do. We do not know for a fact that this was his reaction to the erg. . . .
blah blah blah

Your science is unequal to the task at hand.....
agreed.
jliddil, you are using the frequentist approach to priors. The Bayesian approach is applicable here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_inference
His problems are clearly in his head. He is very poor at the mental aspects of racing. He has trouble making weight and is a very poor judge of his own ability--usually having no idea of what he is actually capable of doing at any given event. It takes him many many races each season to get it right. His raw physical talent is very impressive. (Compare Ranger's WR in the first few years to the 15 years it took Mike Caviston. MC needed an extraordinarily amount of research and very careful experimentation to get a world record. MC got the WR because he is extraordinarily smart, dedicated and incredibly mentally tough. Which is why he was faster at 40 then at 25.)

I really think all the boosting Ranger does and the arguments he engages in on this forum are really destructive for him. There is a real possibility that he has some serous mental problems. I stopped engaging him on this forum because I started to find it very distasteful--kind of like harassing a mentally ill person or drunk on the street (OK not quite as bad but similar in kind if not degree). Frankly I wish everyone would just ignore him and congratulate him when he does well. Everyone would be better off. I know it won't happen but if no one engages him, it he will go away.
Last edited by Nosmo on November 22nd, 2010, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » November 22nd, 2010, 2:35 pm

Speaking of the UK forum, his last blog post there:
I am looking forward to BIRC 2010!!

See ya all there.
Well, he did show up and race, have to give him that.
If I do this sprinting at 36 spm, on a daily basis, to the limits of my endurance and energy, for the next three weeks, the 2K I pull at BIRC 2010 will feel like I am walking.
Looked like walking pace :lol:

WIPE OUT!
A fair characterization!