LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

just27
10k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by just27 » November 10th, 2010, 4:28 pm

BAZzy wrote:Hey that vapour (missile) trail over California wasn't a Luna-tic with after-burners on heading to the moon was it???

Yes, but I called him in for dinner.

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » November 11th, 2010, 12:42 am

Fellow luna-tics

First, sorry for my absence, I'm slowly getting back to erging, the last injury has been tough to recover from, but that's not why I'm here today. I'm so very sorry to be the one to post this news, but I felt it must be shared.

I logged onto my FaceBook page tonite and saw some photo's labeled "remembering Darryl Bathel" ... I thought "WHAT?" so I found the 'wall' of the person who posted the photos and found the following:

"I'm sure you remember Darryl and Ginny Bathel from Duluth, MN. Darryl died while canoeing near home. I don't know what happened but it is just not fair especially for Ginny. They had just retired and had all kinds of fun plans on the horizon. Please let any of the West Fl paddling community who would have known him know. I just can not bring myself to believe it, he will be missed beyond comprehension."

This was posted at 5pm yesterday - I just scanned Kona's stats and noticed the last day Darryl rowed was 11/3.

Although I never got to meet him in person, it was so much fun getting to know him here. We shared a lot of good natured ribbing about which direction to face while on the water (rowers face the stern, canoe-ers face the bow). He was so talented both as a photographer and as a paddle maker. I can't believe he's gone.

I'm going back to Facebook to post a condolence message on his page,

Gina

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » November 11th, 2010, 12:54 am

I also saw this on FB and had no idea that we had lost this most valued friend and amazing person.I am so saddened to read this and send my sympathies to his family and to all of you..

Pat
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » November 11th, 2010, 2:03 am

acrewer wrote:Fellow luna-tics

First, sorry for my absence, I'm slowly getting back to erging, the last injury has been tough to recover from, but that's not why I'm here today. I'm so very sorry to be the one to post this news, but I felt it must be shared.

I logged onto my FaceBook page tonite and saw some photo's labeled "remembering Darryl Bathel" ... I thought "WHAT?" so I found the 'wall' of the person who posted the photos and found the following:

"I'm sure you remember Darryl and Ginny Bathel from Duluth, MN. Darryl died while canoeing near home. I don't know what happened but it is just not fair especially for Ginny. They had just retired and had all kinds of fun plans on the horizon. Please let any of the West Fl paddling community who would have known him know. I just can not bring myself to believe it, he will be missed beyond comprehension."

This was posted at 5pm yesterday - I just scanned Kona's stats and noticed the last day Darryl rowed was 11/3.
Although I never got to meet him in person, it was so much fun getting to know him here. We shared a lot of good natured ribbing about which direction to face while on the water (rowers face the stern, canoe-ers face the bow). He was so talented both as a photographer and as a paddle maker. I can't believe he's gone.

I'm going back to Facebook to post a condolence message on his page,

Gina
This is very sad news, he'll be missed greatly.......BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Post by Kristine Strasburger » November 11th, 2010, 2:14 am

Gina, Thank you so much for posting this terrible news. I am waiting for a reply from the person who posted those pictures, just to make sure we have correctly understood. It seems too awful to believe. I am hoping the person just wasn't thinking when they titled their album, and our Duluth Moose is safe and sound. Will let you all know as soon as I can get some confirmation on it.
☆~Kristine~☆

acrewer
2k Poster

Post by acrewer » November 11th, 2010, 2:29 am

Kristine Strasburger wrote:Gina, Thank you so much for posting this terrible news. I am waiting for a reply from the person who posted those pictures, just to make sure we have correctly understood. It seems too awful to believe. I am hoping the person just wasn't thinking when they titled their album, and our Duluth Moose is safe and sound. Will let you all know as soon as I can get some confirmation on it.
If you read Miriam's wall (she posted the picutures), it's pretty clear that he suffered a terrible accident sometime in the past few days. No details other than a canoeing accident.
GIna

Kona2
Marathon Poster

A memorial row: an hour for Moose

Post by Kona2 » November 11th, 2010, 2:38 am

I received an email from Ginny, Mrs. Moose, tonight. You know we could all count on Darryl's disciplined approach to rowing - that one hour row was in there like clockwork. After a few days of no postings, and no message saying he was out adventuring, I sent him an email to see if all was well in Moose World.

Darryl went out for a short canoe outing on Nov 2nd by himself - and something went terribly wrong. When Darryl did not return later in the day, his wife drove to the lake and found his car. She called search and rescue. Darryl's body was found the next day, an apparent drowning. While no one except Darryl knows what happened, the conjecture is that he put the canoe in the water and maybe was going to go back to his car and get his paddle and PFD, when perhaps the canoe drifted or he stepped off a ledge.

Ginny has lost her best friend and bestest paddling partner. She says that she is working on remembering all the good times paddling, loving and living with him for over 32 years. I know our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her, and to his family. We have lost a virtual teammate - and there's nothing virtual about loss. It hurts.

I propose that we do a memorial row for Moose - his usual rowing session was 60 minutes (5 to 15 extra if we were in a challenge). Row what you can, when you can - and remember the Moose-isms. Somewhere in the heavens, he is talking canoe....and dang - who knew he'd be the first Luna-Tic on the moon (someone has to set up base camp, and we know of no one better!).

just27
10k Poster

Re: A memorial row: an hour for Moose

Post by just27 » November 11th, 2010, 3:39 am

May you rest easy Moose, with fair winds, and calm waters.

Memorial row: I'll try to remember where I stashed that CD he burned of a river paddling trip, a year or two ago. That was about an hour long.

DUCKMARX
1k Poster

Post by DUCKMARX » November 11th, 2010, 4:00 am

Kona2 wrote:Darryl went out for a short canoe outing on Nov 2nd by himself - and something went terribly wrong . . .

Ginny has lost her best friend and bestest paddling partner. She says that she is working on remembering all the good times paddling, loving and living with him for over 32 years. I know our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her, and to his family.
Godspeed Moose, you will be missed.

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » November 11th, 2010, 5:23 am

Kona2 wrote:I received an email from Ginny, Mrs. Moose, tonight. You know we could all count on Darryl's disciplined approach to rowing - that one hour row was in there like clockwork. After a few days of no postings, and no message saying he was out adventuring, I sent him an email to see if all was well in Moose World.

Darryl went out for a short canoe outing on Nov 2nd by himself - and something went terribly wrong. When Darryl did not return later in the day, his wife drove to the lake and found his car. She called search and rescue. Darryl's body was found the next day, an apparent drowning. While no one except Darryl knows what happened, the conjecture is that he put the canoe in the water and maybe was going to go back to his car and get his paddle and PFD, when perhaps the canoe drifted or he stepped off a ledge.

Ginny has lost her best friend and bestest paddling partner. She says that she is working on remembering all the good times paddling, loving and living with him for over 32 years. I know our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her, and to his family. We have lost a virtual teammate - and there's nothing virtual about loss. It hurts.

I propose that we do a memorial row for Moose - his usual rowing session was 60 minutes (5 to 15 extra if we were in a challenge). Row what you can, when you can - and remember the Moose-isms. Somewhere in the heavens, he is talking canoe....and dang - who knew he'd be the first Luna-Tic on the moon (someone has to set up base camp, and we know of no one better!).
omg....how horrible.....i will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers....

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » November 11th, 2010, 6:16 am

So very sorry for your loss and Darryl's family's loss. My sympathy goes out to all of you. I loved following the "Duluth Moose's" adventures.
jim

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » November 11th, 2010, 6:27 am

To Ginny,
I am so sorry for your loss. Moose was a great guy, a true Luna-Tic and will be missed terribly by all.

toothdoc

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Meter Millionaire!

Post by Kona2 » November 11th, 2010, 10:55 am

ImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Peter G, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!
Last edited by Kona2 on November 11th, 2010, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Meter Millionairess!

Post by Kona2 » November 11th, 2010, 10:56 am

ImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Katerina, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 11.10.10

Post by Kona2 » November 11th, 2010, 12:12 pm

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf, Lord of the Rings

Our team pages are filled with celebrations of one kind or another. Congratulations, David T, on achieving some great health outcomes through rowing - and thank you for sharing your story!

You never know who else might benefit from the stories we share here - you can just count on it happening. For all those hooyah moments of becoming a meter millionaire, shedding some extra pounds, lowering blood pressure, winning competitions, and doing some things that you never ever imagined you might do - it's here in the team forum pages that those moments are shared and appreciated by your teammates - and they often know just what it took for you to get those achievements. We respect the work you do to make it all happen! And if all the great rowing exercise you're getting leads to enjoying more adventures and better quality of life - wowzer, mates, that's what it's all about!

Season meters as of 193/365 = 44,399,421 m

Total meters on the day = 189,097 m

Oars in space (participation) = 20 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

1.1 MM Robyn
1.0 MM Peter G
1.0 MM Katerina
800 K Ross

20 Million Meter Lifetime Watch:

Danno with (50,000 m) to go!

FOUR Million Meter Watch:

Will S with (199,512 m) to go! He's probably wrapped this up by now...

TWO Million Meter Watch:

Baz with (147,195 m) to go!

ONE Million Meter Watch:

Ted with (27,000 m) to go!

Image Half moon for Jerry with a posting of 22,000 m!
Image Minnie the Mooner...moons again

Thanks to all our virtual teammates for all the kinds of meters - and for the virtual friendships - it's all good:

Ross 4,540 m
Chip 5,000 m
Dave H (AUS) 5,000 m
Kelly 5,087 m
K2 5,555 m ImageImageImageImage High 5s to the team!
Peter G 6,000 m
Rick 6,484 m
Tom M 7,370 m
Teresa 8,517 m...look at you go, girl!
Tim P 10,000 m...got snow?!
Baz 10,000 m
Harold J and Moggy 12,052 m
Robyn 12,500 m who notes that "since joining the Luna-Tics, her baseball team has become WS champs." Our collective powers have yet to be fully understood.... :D
Katerina 12,895 m
Kenneth G 15,000 m
Danno 20,000 m
Minnie 21,097 m
Jerry 22,000 m

It's Veteran's Day here in the US - a special thanks to all who have served. Godson AF Capt Richard W (Dick W on our team) just arrived in South Korea for his new assignment. He's hoping to find a rower that he can use over there. Not sure where Will S is posted these days - perhaps Danno knows?

To the moon, mates, to the moon! We have a mere 51 Million Team Meters to go!

And for you numbers geeks (who, moi?), we will hit a grand total 333,333,333 team meters with the addition of 172,020 m today....watch for 44,571,441 m....