Virtual Women's Team???

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 10th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Looks like we've gained again! We're up to place number 69! Welcome to the latest members! Well, I did another workout last night. Wasn't motivated at all, but thought of our team, as well as my desire to do the V Day challenge and thought I'd better get to it. Am not sure I'll finish the Vday challenge, will be out of town all weekend, and since I'm just starting I haven' worked up to many meters per row yet. Have a bit of a niggle to my shoulder right now, but if I can work it out I'll see what I can log tonight. May have to do a big push Monday night after I'm back in town to finish up the 14000! <br /><br />Will have to go figure out how I can break up the meters over the next weekend to finish up. Anyway, thanks to you gals for the inspiration and encouragement!

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 10th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Almost forgot, I've logged 4,625 meters towards the VDay challenge now. Will start working on that plan of attack to see that I finish it!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 10th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Way to go snappy!<br />Just be sure to take it easy at first. We don't want anyone to get overwhelmed! If you can't get all those meters in for this challenge, don't worry. Another one will turn up before you know it! That would have been too much for me a year ago. Persistance is the key. Now - don't get me wrong! I'm no expert. I can only speak from experience. Slow and steady is my motto!<br /><br />Keep up the good work!<br />Bufflehead

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 10th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I've calculated that it would be 2 4700 meter workouts to finish. Won't push it, but I think it may be possible. We'll see! <br /><br />Ok, think I'm going to google ducks and see if I can figure out what kind of duck I want to be!

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 10th, 2005, 6:02 pm

Looks like we've gained another rower, and pulled up to 68th place now! Welcome to our newest Duck!

[old] arowma

Women's Forum

Post by [old] arowma » February 10th, 2005, 8:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-pgpoon+Feb 9 2005, 10:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pgpoon @ Feb 9 2005, 10:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />I have only been erging for two months, try to fit in dowhhill skiiing when we have snow, run/jog sometimes but haven't ever participated in any organized sports.<br /><br />I checked my birdbook and liked the Pintail.<br /><br />Keep it up.<br /><br />Pintail <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Way to go Ducks. You can do it Pintail. Just go long and easy. It's no race. <br />To make my first 10,000 more interesting I rowed the first 500 at a higher stroke rate, the second 500 at a lower stroke rate, and so on, alternating; and powered the last 100 or so of each 500; but made sure I had lots left for the last few 100. I had done a 45min piece last week, so the 10k wasn't a huge stretch beyond. <br />Did a quick row this morning before work to finish off theValentine's challenge, (but sorry ducks, I have yet to enter my metres). Am loving how I have more energy in my work day *if* I can manage to row before. Not a morning person!<br />Oh, for now I'll just be a puddle duck - not a species, but a generic term for most dabbling ducks. Still dabbling in this sport, but hoping I really do keep at it. And isn't "puddle" a term for what the oar blades leave behind???<br />GO Ducks.<br />Marisa, the puddle duck.

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » February 10th, 2005, 9:22 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Feb 9 2005, 12:52 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Feb 9 2005, 12:52 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Argentina!!!<br />We'd love to have your meters! If you are already logging your meters online, just go to your profile and edit it.  Scroll down to the University/Club affiliation and type in Ducks in a Row.  You will be added to our team!  Thanks for joining us!<br /><br />I was once fortunate enough to spend a week at the Iguazu Falls.  What a beautiful place!  I was so busy looking at the Toucans that I didn't see what kind of ducks were around. <br /><br />Sue <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Sue!! I´ll log in! <br />

[old] la_flaca

Women's Forum

Post by [old] la_flaca » February 10th, 2005, 9:33 pm

It´s done!! I´m oficially a Ducks in a Row member!! <br /><br />I hope I can add more kms to the team!. <br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Gaby.

[old] jpwebbdc

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jpwebbdc » February 10th, 2005, 9:43 pm

Hi all,<br /><br />I just started rowing at the end of January and I'm really enjoying it. I'm coming back from a low back injury and am happy to say that rowing has really helped me to feel better. My pain has decreased and my flexibility has increased, this sport is awesome. I'm looking forward to actually being able to get out on the water as this is something that I've wanted to do for years. I signed up for the DIAR and will add whatever I can. Looking forward to participating with a team.<br /><br />Jen

[old] pgpoon

Women's Forum

Post by [old] pgpoon » February 10th, 2005, 10:49 pm

Hi DIAR: thanks so much for the support and encouragement. Quick question: how high should I set the drag (is that what it's called)? I have been at 4.5 since the start, lowered it to 3.0 today and feel better after today's 5,000 m than I have in the past. The book said anywhere between 3 and 5 is fine but I hate to be a wuss.<br /><br />Pintail

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » February 11th, 2005, 9:21 am

<!--QuoteBegin-pgpoon+Feb 10 2005, 09:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(pgpoon @ Feb 10 2005, 09:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Quick question: how high should I set the drag (is that what it's called)?  I have been at 4.5 since the start, lowered it to 3.0 today and feel better after today's 5,000 m than I have in the past.  The book said anywhere between 3 and 5 is fine but I hate to be a wuss.<br /><br />Pintail <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />pgpoon - The lever with numbers 1 - 10 on the side of the flywheel is called the damper and it does control drag on the erg. But every machine's drag relates to the damper setting a little differently. <br /><br />There is nothing wuss-like in using a lower damper and drag setting. The biggest baddest Olympic athletes, men and women, use damper settings from about 3 - 6, depending on their preference for more or less intertia on the flywheel. <br /><br />There is a wealth of information about drag on this forum and on the C2 website. Use the search function and check FAQ to read as much as you can stand!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 11th, 2005, 11:14 am

Welcome to our newest Ducks! I see we've moved up to #66!!<br /><br />I'm going to try to start two new topics for us. One will be for introductions - a place where you can tell a little about yourself. It will be a place where we can get to know each other - sort of like a who's who on the Duck team.<br />The other topic will be for weekly workouts. See you over there!<br />Sue

[old] snappyrower

Women's Forum

Post by [old] snappyrower » February 11th, 2005, 12:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Bufflehead+Feb 11 2005, 10:14 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Feb 11 2005, 10:14 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Welcome to our newest Ducks!   I see we've moved up to #66!!<br /><br />I'm going to try to start two new topics for us.  One will be for introductions - a place where you can tell a little about yourself.  It will be a place where we can get to know each other - sort of like a who's who on the Duck team.<br />The other topic will be for weekly workouts.  See you over there!<br />Sue <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Great idea Bufflehead! I'll waddle on over to those threads in a minute!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 12th, 2005, 10:58 am

Go Ducks!! <br />I just read the little bios from the ducks. Aren't we a diverse little group? That's what makes this so much fun. Thank you all for participating! This keeps me inspired.<br />Marisa - I love your new duck picture. It really quacked me up when I first saw it! Let's see - we have a Pintail, a puddle duck, and a Harlequin so far. Am I missing anyone?<br />Uh oh - the time is getting away from me. I need to go get that 25K done this morning! I'll let you know how it went on the workout thread.<br />Have a great weekend fellow Ducks!

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » February 14th, 2005, 10:35 am

Happy Monday Ducks!<br />If my memory serves me correctly, we are now 15 ducks in a row! Welcome to the newest ducks! If you haven't checked out the intro and workout topics, waddle on over there when you get a chance. <br /><br />The intros are great! I have enjoyed getting to know you all. I see we even have some comics out there! Keep up the good work!<br /><br />Later!<br />Bufflehead