C2 Erg Prototype

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: C2 Erg Prototype

Post by Bob S. » September 2nd, 2010, 11:38 am

Carl Watts wrote:The Rowperfect however is the right approach, get the flywheel to move as this is lighter than moving your bodyweight. In theory the new concept 2 is better still as there is no mass of even the flywheel to move.
Although the flywheel is fixed. There is mass added to the stretcher to give it more inertia. This would more closely simulate the inertia of a boat. That would be some arbitrary figure, like the total weight of a 1x, 1/2 the weight of a 2x or a 2-, 1/2 the weight of a 2+ and cox, 1/4 of the weight of a 4x and so on. I am not sure if this was C2s goal, but I once heard a figure quoted for the mass of the moving part. I don't remember what it was, but it was in the ball park of the possibilities I mention above. That was for the second version of the new model which was on display in Boston last season. Since that was still in development stage, the current test version by be different. In regard to C2s goal, I believe that they are relying of feedback from users to determine the optimum mass for the average user.

It just occurred to me: since there is such a wide variety, not only in boat weights/rowers, but also in the weights of the rowers themselves. Since a shell designed for lwtW is much lighter than one designed for hwtM, perhaps the new erg could have a way of varying the mass of the moving part to match the preference of each user.

Bob S.

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » September 2nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

The foot stretcher assembly on the latest version weighs about 9 pounds. We decided the extra mass to bring it up to the approximate weight of a shell was not necessary because of some other changes we made to the drive and recovery systems. C2JonW
72 year old grandpa living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee 1980-2018! and what a long, strange trip it's been......

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » September 2nd, 2010, 2:54 pm

c2jonw wrote:The foot stretcher assembly on the latest version weighs about 9 pounds. We decided the extra mass to bring it up to the approximate weight of a shell was not necessary because of some other changes we made to the drive and recovery systems. C2JonW
Thanks for the update, Jon. I have been curious about that ever since I tried it out at Boston.

Bob S.

luis_pedro_sato
Paddler

Post by luis_pedro_sato » September 21st, 2010, 10:03 am

I tried it out in the European Championship in Montemor o velho, Portugal.

It was great.

ThatMoos3Guy
2k Poster

Post by ThatMoos3Guy » October 25th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Tried the new C2 out over the weekend at the Charles. It was pretty cool, definitely a step in the right direction! Took a couple strokes to get into it, and jeans/sweater might not have been the most athletic choice, but it felt pretty fluid.

However, it still didn't feel quite like rowing, pushing the foot stretchers away just feels a little different than pushing away a hull. I did also try the oartec slider and it seemed to do a better job of capturing the feel of the boat.