C2 Usage Stats at Gyms

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
jliddil
6k Poster

C2 Usage Stats at Gyms

Post by jliddil » September 15th, 2010, 6:28 am

Vacationing in Thailand and found the resort I am at has a C2 Model D (date 2005) with all of 800.000 meters. When I e-mailed them they said they did not such a machine but all kinds of lifefitness stuff. Having looked at the memory all I see is a bunch of 2-4 minute rows. Made me wonder how many people sit down to the C2 in gyms wondering what it is and then "row" and walk away. And since it is not listed in "Find an Erg" The place is the JW Marriott Phuket.
JD

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: C2 Usage Stats at Gyms

Post by Citroen » September 15th, 2010, 8:34 am

I'm firmly of the opinion that the C2 "Find an Erg" system isn't working in it's current form. Folks frequently report that the erg they've found is missing or unusable and we get the occasional report that "Find an Erg" didn't tell me there's an ergo here.

I think it would be a ideal application for some user feedback, perhaps wiki, online form or somesuch. So that when I discover that long lost C2 ergo in a Wadi near Timbuktu or somewhere near the Great Grey Greasy Limpopo River I can stoke up my web browser and report it's existence for the next explorer of Darkest Africa to find it.

Likewise when I find that the C2 ergo at the Chesford Grange Hotel Kenilworth (near Warwick, UK) still hasn't been cleaned and still has a drag of 95 on damper 10 I can report that - you'll know to take a can of chain oil, a screwdriver and a 9/16" spanner so you can give it a quick periodic maintenance service it before you start.

It could work a bit like TripAdvisor with a rating and comments system so you'd find a model D erg Thailand and report it as available, in 5 star status, and clean - with drag 220 on damper ten. When I go to the same place six months later I can add my comments and so on and so forth.

I believe this process is known as "crowd sourcing".

jliddil
6k Poster

Post by jliddil » September 15th, 2010, 9:14 am

I agree, C2 you listening. BTW the erg here does need chain oil and the fan cleaned since at 10 it has a DF of 130. Hard to explain to the Thai gym staff that the fan needs cleaning. Seara (http://www.searasports.com/) is who sold it to the resort maybe I'll contact them since they are an authorized dealer.
JD

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 15th, 2010, 9:50 am

jliddil wrote:I agree, C2 you listening. BTW the erg here does need chain oil and the fan cleaned since at 10 it has a DF of 130. Hard to explain to the Thai gym staff that the fan needs cleaning. Seara (http://www.searasports.com/) is who sold it to the resort maybe I'll contact them since they are an authorized dealer.
Take a screwdriver, do it yourself or show the gym how to do it, it's probably easier.

Loosen (don't remove) the four screws that hold the fan cage together, loosen (don't remove) the screw that holds the two ends of the mesh screen together until it pops out from one of the blue clips. Gently remove the mesh screen to expose the flywheel. Clean the dust out. Reverse the process to reassemble it.

I did that for the first time last Saturday, it was remarkably easy. My son's judo teacher had been given a low mileage model D w/PM3 for free. It had next to no dust and after a good dose of chain oil and a new pair of D-cells it rowed beautifully. I left it for him to remove the dust on the outside (it had been in a building that was being stripped to the brickwork and replastered - they didn't take the rower out before they started work on the old plaster).

Atorrante
1k Poster

Post by Atorrante » September 24th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Only for the records, there was a pair of models C at the Cruise Ship Carnival C gym departing from SJ, Puerto Rico by the year 2005. Don't know if they are there now, or if they have received the proper maintenance.
54 years young, 5'7"
2K pb 7:05

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » September 25th, 2010, 5:24 am

Atorrante wrote:Only for the records, there was a pair of models C at the Cruise Ship Carnival C gym departing from SJ, Puerto Rico by the year 2005. Don't know if they are there now, or if they have received the proper maintenance.
I'm going in a Alaskan criuse next summer. I'm going to tuck a 9/16" spanner and a cross-head screwdriver in the bottom of my suitcase. I may carry less than 100ml of 3-in-1 oil in hand luggage. If the rowing machines are full of dust when I embark, they won't be full of dust when I disembark.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 25th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Citroen wrote:
Atorrante wrote:Only for the records, there was a pair of models C at the Cruise Ship Carnival C gym departing from SJ, Puerto Rico by the year 2005. Don't know if they are there now, or if they have received the proper maintenance.
I'm going in a Alaskan criuse next summer. I'm going to tuck a 9/16" spanner and a cross-head screwdriver in the bottom of my suitcase. I may carry less than 100ml of 3-in-1 oil in hand luggage. If the rowing machines are full of dust when I embark, they won't be full of dust when I disembark.
Don't forget to pack a paint brush and better still ask someone onboard for a vacuume cleaner to go with it !
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

jbhoren
Paddler

Post by jbhoren » October 4th, 2010, 2:06 am

Citroen wrote: I'm going in a Alaskan criuse next summer. I'm going to tuck a 9/16" spanner and a cross-head screwdriver in the bottom of my suitcase. I may carry less than 100ml of 3-in-1 oil in hand luggage. If the rowing machines are full of dust when I embark, they won't be full of dust when I disembark.
If you make it to Fairbanks, they've got several C2s in the Patty Center gym, and mine own, here at the manor. :D