Fall Series Sandbaggers Heats

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » November 14th, 2005, 1:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Krysta Coleman+Nov 14 2005, 04:05 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Krysta Coleman @ Nov 14 2005, 04:05 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Count me in, Bill.  My PB is 43:55, but that should be a very soft target...  I am tempted to knock at least a minute off that for my start time, but that kind of blew up in my face last time when I got overly optimistic and didn't make my "charitable" target for the 1k Handicap.  <br /><br />Give me a day to think about it and I'll give you a more reasonable and fair start time.  Thanks,<br /><br />- Krysta <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Krysta,<br /><br />If you feel that your 10K PB is soft and want to come up with a new target the prescribed way is to use the Nonathlon to predict the new time. For example your 5K is a 919 and your 6K is a 930 if we average them we get 925 as your 10K target. A 42:40 10K time would give you that 925. <br /><br />It is your decision. Remember that my intent was to make it easier for the new rowers to break their PBs to get the bonus points to level the field with the more experienced racers.<br /><br />Frank

[old] Krysta Coleman

e-row

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » November 14th, 2005, 5:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Nov 14 2005, 11:09 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Nov 14 2005, 11:09 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />If you feel that your 10K PB is soft and want to come up with a new target the prescribed way is to use the Nonathlon to predict the new time. For example your 5K is a 919 and your 6K is a 930 if we average them we get 925 as your 10K target. A 42:40 10K time would give you that 925. <br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That sounds fair. I like to be in the ballpark for these HC ones - it makes me go faster too, if the finish is close. So Bill, I will use 42:40 for my starting time, if that's alright.<br /><br />Mark, I was curious what your plan of attack is for this one? Although you are getting a lot faster than me, I think we're still pretty close with our middle-distance times. I plan to go out of the start gate at 2:07 for the first 5k, then see how strong I feel and probably pick up the pace in increments for the last half. My actual goal is going to be 42:10. How about you?

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 15th, 2005, 9:24 am

Hey guys, check out the new baby announcement and pictures under General Discussion.<br /><br />I'll still be racing on Saturday, but my training for the next few days will be crap...

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 15th, 2005, 11:30 am

<!--QuoteBegin-FrankJ+Nov 14 2005, 01:09 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(FrankJ @ Nov 14 2005, 01:09 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Krysta Coleman+Nov 14 2005, 04:05 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Krysta Coleman @ Nov 14 2005, 04:05 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Count me in, Bill.  My PB is 43:55, but that should be a very soft target...  I am tempted to knock at least a minute off that for my start time, but that kind of blew up in my face last time when I got overly optimistic and didn't make my "charitable" target for the 1k Handicap.  <br /><br />Give me a day to think about it and I'll give you a more reasonable and fair start time.  Thanks,<br /><br />- Krysta <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Krysta,<br /><br />If you feel that your 10K PB is soft and want to come up with a new target the prescribed way is to use the Nonathlon to predict the new time. For example your 5K is a 919 and your 6K is a 930 if we average them we get 925 as your 10K target. A 42:40 10K time would give you that 925. <br /><br />It is your decision. Remember that my intent was to make it easier for the new rowers to break their PBs to get the bonus points to level the field with the more experienced racers.<br /><br />Frank <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Krysta:<br /><br />Good question ... haven't thought about it yet, as I've been focused on getting into the groove with the Wolverine Plan and spending more time than I should working out times and plans for L4 and L3 workouts (the L3s being the hardest for me).<br /><br />I'll probably shoot for a 2:04 or 2:05 average pace, but not sure how I'll split this up. 2:07.8 pace was my PB pace. After reading Mike's WP commentary on how to break down pieces for mental effectiveness -- training and racing -- I want to give this some thought. I'll post whatever plan I come up with later this week so you can take a look and see if we can help each other. You're right, I'm getting faster at the shorter distances, but haven't really pushed (raced) anything longer than 2K for some time -- since the last racing series during the summer. Maybe I should try to go faster?<br /><br />In any event, this will be interesting.<br /><br />Regards -- Mark

[old] Krysta Coleman

e-row

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » November 15th, 2005, 1:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 15 2005, 09:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 15 2005, 09:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Krysta:<br /><br />Good question ... haven't thought about it yet, as I've been focused on getting into the groove with the Wolverine Plan and spending more time than I should working out times and plans for L4 and L3 workouts (the L3s being the hardest for me).<br /><br />I'll probably shoot for a 2:04 or 2:05 average pace, but not sure how I'll split this up.  2:07.8 pace was my PB pace.  After reading Mike's WP commentary on how to break down pieces for mental effectiveness -- training and racing -- I want to give this some thought.  I'll post whatever plan I come up with later this week so you can take a look and see if we can help each other.  You're right, I'm getting faster at the shorter distances, but haven't really pushed (raced) anything longer than 2K for some time -- since the last racing series during the summer.  Maybe I should try to go faster?<br /><br />In any event, this will be interesting.<br /><br />Regards -- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I keep hearing a lot about the Wolverine Plan and Pete Plan, etc, but don't know anything about them. My sister has been loosely doing some Pete Plan, I think. I should read up on those threads, I guess. Let me know how the WP goes for you. You did a 6k at 2:03.6 pace in early November, right? Did you feel like you could have gone faster? Or was that when you were still sick? I think maybe I am just disproportionately weak in my shorter distances.. if my Nonathalon scores are any indication, anyway. <br /><br />I guess I would be doing the "PaulS Plan". All my training rows are S10PS, except some of the short hard intervals. Right now, I am doing about 8k a day ending with a HR in 80-90% of max range. I am doing some 300m x 2min rest hard intervals twice a week too. Then, on Fridays I have an easier 8k, Saturday I race, Sunday I rest and start all over again on Monday. I think it is working well for me so far. Paul is very helpful and I really like having someone else tell me exactly what to do. Mostly, I need to feel <i>accountable</i> for my workouts or I would skip a lot of them, quit half-way through, or miss my target pace. When I have to report my results to someone daily, I am <b>a lot</b> more likely to give it my 100%.<br /><br />- Krysta

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 15th, 2005, 2:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Krysta Coleman+Nov 15 2005, 01:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Krysta Coleman @ Nov 15 2005, 01:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 15 2005, 09:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 15 2005, 09:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Krysta:<br /><br />Good question ... haven't thought about it yet, as I've been focused on getting into the groove with the Wolverine Plan and spending more time than I should working out times and plans for L4 and L3 workouts (the L3s being the hardest for me).<br /><br />I'll probably shoot for a 2:04 or 2:05 average pace, but not sure how I'll split this up.  2:07.8 pace was my PB pace.  After reading Mike's WP commentary on how to break down pieces for mental effectiveness -- training and racing -- I want to give this some thought.  I'll post whatever plan I come up with later this week so you can take a look and see if we can help each other.  You're right, I'm getting faster at the shorter distances, but haven't really pushed (raced) anything longer than 2K for some time -- since the last racing series during the summer.  Maybe I should try to go faster?<br /><br />In any event, this will be interesting.<br /><br />Regards -- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I keep hearing a lot about the Wolverine Plan and Pete Plan, etc, but don't know anything about them. My sister has been loosely doing some Pete Plan, I think. I should read up on those threads, I guess. Let me know how the WP goes for you. You did a 6k at 2:03.6 pace in early November, right? Did you feel like you could have gone faster? Or was that when you were still sick? I think maybe I am just disproportionately weak in my shorter distances.. if my Nonathalon scores are any indication, anyway. <br /><br />I guess I would be doing the "PaulS Plan". All my training rows are S10PS, except some of the short hard intervals. Right now, I am doing about 8k a day ending with a HR in 80-90% of max range. I am doing some 300m x 2min rest hard intervals twice a week too. Then, on Fridays I have an easier 8k, Saturday I race, Sunday I rest and start all over again on Monday. I think it is working well for me so far. Paul is very helpful and I really like having someone else tell me exactly what to do. Mostly, I need to feel <i>accountable</i> for my workouts or I would skip a lot of them, quit half-way through, or miss my target pace. When I have to report my results to someone daily, I am <b>a lot</b> more likely to give it my 100%.<br /><br />- Krysta <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Krysta:<br /><br />OK, take a deep breath, and count to ten before going here:<br /><br /><a href='http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverin ... htm</a><br /><br />Just kidding. <br /><br />It's a somewhat complex plan that maps out a very scientific approach to training. You have to read it several times to even get the first inklings of how it all ties together. As an engineer by degree, this kind of approach is right up my alley.<br /><br />There's a long thread of posts here at:<br /><br /><a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... st&p=34272' target='_blank'>http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... 272</a><br /><br />Where Mike Caviston (the "inventor") adds a whole lot of detail, context, and additional information. Plus, others who use it, or have used it, also chime in.<br /><br />I like it because it has variety, structure, and a slowly progressive approach. Plus, there is no guesswork.<br /><br />I just started a few weeks ago, so I'm just getting into the groove. I report my progress on the thread shown above, not to show off (certainly not with my speed!), but to stay honest and get motivation from others about staying on course.<br /><br />Bill Moore is using the plan, and he's a few months ahead of me in terms of its use. He's well ahead of me in terms of speed! He might have some good feedback as well.<br /><br />I did the 6K PB before I started the WP. I expect I could have gone faster then, and am pretty sure that now I can, because I'm doing much more distance now, and, honestly, I feel I've never done an all-out race/time at any distance over 2K. My sense is that I'm still trying to get to my current "best" and that I target (probably subconsciously) paces that are slower than my maximum potential. Slowly but surely I'll drive these down, and figure out what my true breaking point is. My times over all the distances seem to be severely out of whack at any distance over 2K compared to others of my size, weight, and age, so I hope this is the case.<br /><br />I think I'm going to target the 10K on Saturday at a 2:04 pace, broken down in 2Ks by:<br /><br />2:06<br />2:05<br />2:04<br />2:03<br />2:02<br /><br />AVG: 2:04 / TIME: 41:20 / IMPROVE: 1:15.7<br /><br />I still want to figure out target rates for these paces, which I have not done yet.<br /><br />Can I do it? Who knows? I think I'm going to give it a shot and if I die in the end, I die in the end. I've certainly had worse things happen! No way I'll hurt as bad as the folks at the BIRC!<br /><br /> <br /><br />Hope some of this helps.<br /><br />-- Mark

[old] hennmart

e-row

Post by [old] hennmart » November 15th, 2005, 2:57 pm

Hi Mark,<br /><br />Look like a good plan to improve that much for the 10k. I wish you all the best for the race on Saturday <br /><br />Hennie

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 15th, 2005, 3:02 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Nov 15 2005, 02:57 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Nov 15 2005, 02:57 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Mark,<br /><br />Look like a good plan to improve that much for the 10k. I wish you all the best for the race on Saturday  <br /><br />Hennie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Thanks Hennie. Good luck to you at BIRC!

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 16th, 2005, 1:17 am

It seems we have a fast shark joining us. Lovely.<br /><br />Here's the delays I have so far:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1-->Name     PB/SB   Delay<br />Krysta  42:40.0  0:00<br />Mark    42:35.7  0:04<br />Stuart  39:16.7  3:23<br />Bill    38:14.0  4:26<br />Paul    35:23.4  7:17 (Or just start on Sunday!)<!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />If anyone else joins, please let me know your PB/SB to use for this race.

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 16th, 2005, 9:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Nov 16 2005, 01:17 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Nov 16 2005, 01:17 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It seems we have a fast shark joining us.  Lovely.<br /><br />Here's the delays I have so far:<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1-->Name     PB/SB   Delay<br />Krysta  42:40.0  0:00<br />Mark    42:35.7  0:04<br />Stuart  39:16.7  3:23<br />Bill    38:14.0  4:26<br />Paul    35:23.4  7:17 (Or just start on Sunday!)<!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />If anyone else joins, please let me know your PB/SB to use for this race. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Stuart, Bill & Paul:<br /><br />Take care not to fall asleep as you wait for Krysta and I to get on with it! <br /><br /> <br /><br />Cheers -- Mark

[old] Welshy

e-row

Post by [old] Welshy » November 16th, 2005, 3:37 pm

Stuart, Bill & Paul:<br /><br />Take care not to fall asleep as you wait for Krysta and I to get on with it! <br /><br /> <br /><br />Cheers -- Mark <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />If you knock 1 minute plus off your pb then you certainly won't see me coming past you at any time in the race. Good luck anyway.<br /><br />Stuart

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 16th, 2005, 4:42 pm

[quote=Welshy,Nov 16 2005, 03:37 PM]<br />Stuart, Bill & Paul:<br /><br />Take care not to fall asleep as you wait for Krysta and I to get on with it! <br /><br /> <br /><br />Cheers -- Mark <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />If you knock 1 minute plus off your pb then you certainly won't see me coming past you at any time in the race. Good luck anyway.<br /><br />Stuart <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Stuart:<br /><br />Yes, but that's only the PLAN.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Actual? That could be another story!<br /><br />-- Mark

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 16th, 2005, 5:45 pm

I need someone to take over Saturday's race. We shipped our 3 kids off to New York when we had to go to the hospital for the new baby, and we want to get down there as soon as possible, so we're going Friday night instead of Saturday after the race. (It's better to have them wake up with us there instead of getting there after lunch. Also, the traffic should be better).<br /><br />I'll be back Sunday afternoon. I just put up a race for 8PM EST. (It's 0100GMT on Monday on the DR site).

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 16th, 2005, 10:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Nov 16 2005, 05:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Nov 16 2005, 05:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I need someone to take over Saturday's race.  We shipped our 3 kids off to New York when we had to go to the hospital for the new baby, and we want to get down there as soon as possible, so we're going Friday night instead of Saturday after the race.  (It's better to have them wake up with us there instead of getting there after lunch.  Also, the traffic should be better).<br /><br />I'll be back Sunday afternoon.  I just put up a race for 8PM EST.  (It's 0100GMT on Monday on the DR site). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Bill:<br /><br />I can run the race, but how do we "swap" race masters? Do I have to put up a new race, or is there a way to "swap" without doing so?<br /><br />Thanks -- Mark

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 16th, 2005, 10:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 16 2005, 10:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 16 2005, 10:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Nov 16 2005, 05:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Nov 16 2005, 05:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I need someone to take over Saturday's race.  We shipped our 3 kids off to New York when we had to go to the hospital for the new baby, and we want to get down there as soon as possible, so we're going Friday night instead of Saturday after the race.  (It's better to have them wake up with us there instead of getting there after lunch.  Also, the traffic should be better).<br /><br />I'll be back Sunday afternoon.  I just put up a race for 8PM EST.  (It's 0100GMT on Monday on the DR site). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Bill:<br /><br />I can run the race, but how do we "swap" race masters? Do I have to put up a new race, or is there a way to "swap" without doing so?<br /><br />Thanks -- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I have no idea on this. I pulled out of the race, so perhaps the first person to sign in will be the race master. Maybe Frank will have experience with this.<br /><br />Or you create a QR that morning.