Yet Another Drag Factor Question

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
myboypat
Paddler

Yet Another Drag Factor Question

Post by myboypat » August 5th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Yes.. I did try to find my answer in the forum archives.. no luck.

OK, so I've had my Model D for about a month and a half, and use it regularly. I've seen some posts regarding how to check drag factor, what the "normal" drag factor range is, etc. I went to check mine with the damper set at 4, and it's 108. Now, does this mean that I should stick with 108 forever??? The rowing itself feels good to me, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. My assumption is that if it feels right, keep with it. So, do I check the drag factor at regular intervals, and adjust the damper so that it stays at 108, or am I going down the wrong road?

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Re: Yet Another Drag Factor Question

Post by Bob S. » August 5th, 2010, 1:42 pm

myboypat wrote:Yes.. I did try to find my answer in the forum archives.. no luck.

OK, so I've had my Model D for about a month and a half, and use it regularly. I've seen some posts regarding how to check drag factor, what the "normal" drag factor range is, etc. I went to check mine with the damper set at 4, and it's 108. Now, does this mean that I should stick with 108 forever??? The rowing itself feels good to me, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. My assumption is that if it feels right, keep with it. So, do I check the drag factor at regular intervals, and adjust the damper so that it stays at 108, or am I going down the wrong road?
I would go along with your feelings, but it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit to see how it feels at other settings.

A DF of 108 at a damper setting of 4 seems a bit low. Since it is a new machine, it seems unlikely that it would be due to dirt. Are you at a relatively high altitude? Those figures are close to what I would get on my own machine, but I am at 4,000ft of elevation.

Bob S.

myboypat
Paddler

Post by myboypat » August 5th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I'm at 155 ft, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'll try it again when I get home.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 5th, 2010, 3:05 pm

myboypat wrote:I'm at 155 ft, so that wouldn't be an issue. I'll try it again when I get home.
Check the monitor is configured for the right machine.

Main menu --> More options --> Utilities --> LCD contrast

once on that LCD contrast menu press [CHANGE UNITS] three times, then press [CHANGE DISPLAY] three times to reveal the hidden menu. Check it matches the machine it's mounted on; MODEL D/E or MODEL B/C.

myboypat
Paddler

Post by myboypat » August 5th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Wow. Hopefully I won't open a portal to another dimension :D . I'll give that a try tonight.

myboypat
Paddler

Post by myboypat » August 5th, 2010, 6:40 pm

OK, the PM3 is set up correctly. I checked the drag factor again, and at a damper of 4 it was 104-105, and at 5 it was 120-121. I'm hoping that everything is OK with the software and rower. I'm actually going to try the 120 range for my next couple of workouts, and see if I like it any better.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 5th, 2010, 7:16 pm

myboypat wrote:OK, the PM3 is set up correctly. I checked the drag factor again, and at a damper of 4 it was 104-105, and at 5 it was 120-121. I'm hoping that everything is OK with the software and rower. I'm actually going to try the 120 range for my next couple of workouts, and see if I like it any better.
I am still wondering about low DF. Dust and altitude have been ruled out. That leaves the space available around the machine. Is there anything near the wheel that might block the flow of air? Is it too close to a wall? Is the wheel clear of any impediments?

It doesn't really matter to much, since you have the most useful DF range available to you. I have heard of some dirty club machines that can't get a DF higher than 100 or so even with the damper on 10. As I said earlier, the altitude here puts the DF of my machine in the same range as yours.

However, it is a matter of curiosity. There has to be some reasonable explanation for your somewhat reduced DF.

Bob S.

myboypat
Paddler

Post by myboypat » August 6th, 2010, 7:36 am

It is in a long, narrow part of my house. I have a little less than 2' on either side of the rower. It's not the best spot for it, but it keeps me from waking up the family during my morning workouts.
I appreciate all of the input. Have a great weekend!
- Brian

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 6th, 2010, 9:10 am

Your going to have to get the rower very close to a wall to affect the drag. Mine has the flywheel stuck as close to a wall as you can get and still have the room you need to row. The ceiling also comes down at an angle to the flywheel end so it's stuck in an alcove and it has no effect. The intake area on the Erg is quite small and the only time I noticed the drag suddenly change is when my cat got sucked in and the shit hit the fan. :lol:
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log