Fall Series 6k S1

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 1st, 2005, 4:56 pm

Is it the 2D view in RowPro that allows one to see everyone in the race, no matter how far apart everyone is?

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » November 1st, 2005, 5:07 pm

I have never actually used the 2d view in an online race, or used erow. Someone else who has can correct me. But my understanding is that in erow the view scaled so that all boats were on screen. I remember one of the complaints about rowpro was that it kept the fastest boats on screen, so at some point you can actually get dropped off the back. I don't remember how large a view the 2d is on rowpro. I think the Aerial view is 150m (70m front and back of you). The 2d view lists people's names, which I wish the other views offered too, since I always forget to notice who is in what lane and so don't know who is who.<br /><br />But maybe this is habit, but I love the thrill of the full 3d view. I like passing people in 3d: you get to run them down and blow by them. I also usually say "hello" to the boats blowing by me too, and don't mind that either. It is sort of like being visited by someone much faster during your race. I recognize many of the online regulars by how their boat and person look too, which is a fun addition. A finish down to the wire in 3d is a huge rush. Rowing in the swim lane 2d view seems so impersonal and static to me.

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » November 1st, 2005, 6:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 1 2005, 04:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 1 2005, 04:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is it the 2D view in RowPro that allows one to see everyone in the race, no matter how far apart everyone is? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />2D allows you to see everyone no matter the distance. I tried it once in the summer series and hated it.<br /><br />Arial view, especially for 1K, would probably be what you want. I used that once in the summer series and it worked pretty well. The only problem was the one time I used it I was sprinting with someone at the end, maybe you, and I got beat by something like .2 seconds. I couldn't tell from the arial view if I was ahead or behind when it was that close.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » November 1st, 2005, 6:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Nov 1 2005, 04:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Nov 1 2005, 04:54 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just an idea. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I like the idea. Especially since I suck at these lower distances. <br /><br />Jeff

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » November 1st, 2005, 9:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-michaelb+Nov 1 2005, 12:15 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(michaelb @ Nov 1 2005, 12:15 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was thinking of doing 4x1000m for the first time ever tonight (or tomorrow, depending) and so according to the rules one of those would actually be my SB 1k for the year.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You inspired me to do a 4x1K session tonight for the first time. It may be my last.... <br /><br />That was really a painful workout. I thought I was going to hurl a couple of times. I'm so not ready for Saturday. <br /><br />On the first one I was right on PB pace and had a nuclear meltdown with 150 meters to go. I never recoverd it seemed, so the rest suffered.<br /><br />Anyway this what I did<br /><br />3:23.7<br />3:25.1<br />3:30.6<br />3:27.6<br /><br />So even if you go off at 3:20, I'm not sure I can catch you. <br /><br />Good luck on your 4x1K.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » November 1st, 2005, 11:33 pm

Jeff, I feel your pain. <br /><br />I did the 1st 1k at 3:29.6, so technically that is my sb 1k this year. Somewhere on like page 8 of the wolverine plan discussion, I thought Mike C said to pace these at around 2k pace +1 or +2, so although my current 2k pace is 1:48, my goal is 1:45, so I set out to do these around 1:47, and so my pace on the other 3 was right around there. There was period in the beginning of each that my stroke just felt great, smooth, strong, consistent, but I wasn't able to hold that through the whole 1k.<br /><br />I also wonder how in the world I am going to hold 1:40 pace when I was struggling to hold 1:46's, but I think that is just self doubt 4 days before the race.

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » November 2nd, 2005, 8:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jfisher+Nov 1 2005, 10:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jfisher @ Nov 1 2005, 10:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 1 2005, 04:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 1 2005, 04:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is it the 2D view in RowPro that allows one to see everyone in the race, no matter how far apart everyone is? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />2D allows you to see everyone no matter the distance. I tried it once in the summer series and hated it.<br /><br />Arial view, especially for 1K, would probably be what you want. I used that once in the summer series and it worked pretty well. The only problem was the one time I used it I was sprinting with someone at the end, maybe you, and I got beat by something like .2 seconds. I couldn't tell from the arial view if I was ahead or behind when it was that close.<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The 2D view is dynamic. It starts at 100 meters and will dynamically stretch to 1000 meters. It stops expanding at 1000 meters and the slowest boats drop off the back. At the end of the race they again appear when they are about 1000 meters from the end. I use this when I'm race master in handicap races in attempt to keep track of everyone. I believe there is a request in for RP V2 to leave the racers boat on the screen and let the faster/slower boats drop off the front or the back as is currently done in 3D mode.<br /><br />The aerial view shows 70 meters of the course with your boat centered on the screen. Faster and slower boats with disappear off the front or back as appropriate.<br /><br />There is also an overall design limitation with the e-row protocol. You cannot count on the way the boat appears on the screen in a very close race. The e-row protocol does not try to synchronize the start. With Internet delays this means that the individual racers can be about to about a second apart. We are all being timed individually by our PM2/3 and that is the final answer on time. I think that is why at times in the results a slower time is listed as finishing before a faster time when they are within a few tenths. <br /><br />To put it another way if you are running RP in 3D mode and you finish a race with what appears to be a 2 meters lead on your opponent you may be surprised to find that you actually lost when the times appear. In testing we found that most of the time we were as close visually as we were in actual time but there was an occasional difference and no way to tell until the results appear. This is one reason I would like to see RP V2. It will be the first chance to have a new protocol that is not tied to the e-row basic design. <br /><br />Frank

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 2nd, 2005, 9:32 am

Friends:<br /><br />I don't know what it was about the discussion of the 4 x 1,000 workout, which I have never done before, but it got me juiced and I tried one at *about* my 7:38 PB 2K pace, or 3:48 this morning:<br /><br />03:47.9<br />03:47.9<br />03:47.5<br />03:47.5<br /><br />AVG: 03:47.7<br /><br />I did these with 1K recovery at about 2:30 pace (about 5 minutes). Is this recovery OK? Too long? Too short?<br /><br />I know this is slow by most of your standards, but was a challenge for me, although I feel it could have been done a bit faster. HR hit 166 on the last piece, and my max (at 46) is 174 from calculation.<br /><br />Gives me hope that improving on the 7:38 should not be *that* difficult. <br /><br /> <br /><br />Thanks for the motivation to pop this one off this morning. I never would have attempted it without the discussion and analysis here on the forum.<br /><br />Now, to work on driving down the average to 3:45, :44, :43, :42, :41, :40 ...<br /><br /> <br /><br />Regards -- Mark

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 2nd, 2005, 7:01 pm

And, finally hit my 1st Million Meters this afternoon with a leisurely 4,881 meters to hit exactly 1M for the year, and lifetime. Thanks for all the support, coaching, and competition. On to the 2nd Million! This is a great sport!<br /><br />

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » November 2nd, 2005, 7:22 pm

That is great Mark. 1 million is a big achievement. My tshirt is wearing out, and if I could buy a replacement, I would.

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 4th, 2005, 12:43 am

Proposed Delayed Starts for Saturday based on all of the chatter...<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1-->Name      SB    Delay<br />Krysta  3:48.0  0:00.0<br />Mark    3:30.0  0:18.0<br />Michael 3:20.0  0:28.0<br />Bill    3:20.0  0:28.0<br />Pedro   3:19.1  0:29.0<br />Holm    3:18.1  0:30.0<br />Jeff    3:17.8  0:30.0<br />Phil    3:08.0  0:40.0<!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />Adjusted for the charitable times Mark and Michael volunteered.<br /><br />My money is on Krysta, follwed by Pedro with at least 6 PBs. I'll try to hold off the rest. Holm and I were .6 apart on the 6k two weeks ago, but I never saw it due to our start time difference. I'm hoping Jeff has been doing too much bag and technique work lately for his testing, and can't hit his PB. And then there's the Pirate...I just hope his PM doesn't show 200m like the problem a few weeks ago.<br /><br />Gotta go get some rest. Big race tomorrow...<br />

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » November 4th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Since it was my challenge to you to start at 3:20, I can't back down now. So I will go off at 3:20 too (28 sec delay). Even if I can't stay with you, that means I will have Pedro, Holm, and Jeff on screen in 3d trying to run me down.<br /><br />At 167 today, the only thing that could "mess" me up is if I wake up tomorrow at 166, and then am tempted to row for an hour to drop the pound and row as a lightweight. I should make it by next week's race either way.

[old] mpukita

e-row

Post by [old] mpukita » November 4th, 2005, 6:49 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Nov 4 2005, 12:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Nov 4 2005, 12:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Proposed Delayed Starts for Saturday based on all of the chatter...<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1-->Name      SB    Delay<br />Krysta  3:48.0  0:00.0<br />Mark    3:42.2  0:06.0<br />Michael 3:23.9  0:24.0<br />Bill    3:20.0  0:28.0<br />Pedro   3:19.1  0:29.0<br />Holm    3:18.1  0:30.0<br />Jeff    3:17.8  0:30.0<br />Phil    3:08.0  0:40.0<!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />Anyone else want to volunteer a few seconds?  Michael, you've posted so many times, I'm not sure what you want to do (other than start in front of me!!!).<br /><br />A nonathlon equivalent to my 500m PB tonight would put me at 3:22.5, but I like your 3:20 suggestion... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Bill:<br /><br />Sorry, but Michael made a great point. If I'm serious about a 3:30 pace (I am), I should probably go out with a 3:30 base for handicap. If it's too late to redo the chart, no problem ... I'll probably be watching the PM3 more than RowPro, just due to the short race distance.<br /><br />Thanks -- Mark

[old] bmoore

e-row

Post by [old] bmoore » November 4th, 2005, 9:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Nov 4 2005, 12:43 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Nov 4 2005, 12:43 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Proposed Delayed Starts for Saturday based on all of the chatter...<br /><br /><!--c1--><table width='95%' cellspacing='1' cellpadding='3' border='0' align='center'><tr><td><b><div class='genmed'>CODE</div></b></td></tr><tr><td class='code'><div><!--ec1-->Name      SB    Delay<br />Krysta  3:48.0  0:00.0<br />Mark    3:30.0  0:18.0<br />Michael 3:20.0  0:28.0<br />Bill    3:20.0  0:28.0<br />Pedro   3:19.1  0:29.0<br />Holm    3:18.1  0:30.0<br />Jeff    3:17.8  0:30.0<br />Phil    3:08.0  0:40.0<!--c2--></div></td></tr></table><br /><br />Adjusted for the charitable times Mark and Michael volunteered.<br /><br />My money is on Krysta, follwed by Pedro with at least 6 PBs.  I'll try to hold off the rest.  Holm and I were .6 apart on the 6k two weeks ago, but I never saw it due to our start time difference.  I'm hoping Jeff has been doing too much bag and technique work lately for his testing, and can't hit his PB.  And then there's the Pirate...I just hope his PM doesn't show 200m like the problem a few weeks ago.<br /><br />Gotta go get some rest.  Big race tomorrow... <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />bump to the end...

[old] michaelb

e-row

Post by [old] michaelb » November 4th, 2005, 9:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 4 2005, 05:49 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 4 2005, 05:49 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'll probably be watching the PM3 more than RowPro, just due to the short race distance. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />This is shaping up to be the most fun online race I have been scheduled for, in over a year in trying to get online races really up and running. To me, when racing online it is important not to get sucked out of the gate too fast at the start with all the excitement, and I usually get so focused on holding my pace that it also hard to concentrate on the other boats right at the end. Where doing this online is so great is during the middle of the race, in this case 700m-300m. That is when I (and probably others) can struggle to hold the target pace, but having other boats right there in the mix can get you through that hopefully. With the race so short, and most of us so bunched up, at 300m or so to go, we should all still be right there.<br /><br />See you all in the morning.<br />