Marathon Challenge -- Any Takers?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Canoeist

e-row

Post by [old] Canoeist » August 22nd, 2005, 7:05 pm

Andreas and Michael have been training hard just in case you decide to show your sorry, out of shape self at the start line. Sorry that I can't help in the thrashing. <br /><br />Seriously, watching the two titans battle it out for 2:34 should be quite entertaining. If my camping trip is rained out, I will be there just to watch the show.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » August 23rd, 2005, 1:40 pm

I read somewhere that Michael was also going to pull out. That will be another disapointment.At a certain point I thougth there wasnt going to be enough space for everyboby that want to row, but now it looks like there isnt enough people to fill one race.<br />You guys must 'nt worry so much about the heat.Here where I stay its already 28 deg C during daytime(and this is still winter)<br />Come on guys lets get the numbers up!!!<br /><br />Paul, I hope it rains next weekend

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » August 23rd, 2005, 3:10 pm

I agree with Andreas this is a marathon and I don't think you should be to worry about how fast you will be rowing but be more worry about terminate a full marathon. I will row this marathon in 3 hrs+ and still looking fwd to it.<br /><br />But it is unfortunate for the others who will row for 2 1/2 hrs they will have time to shower and eat before I even finish do I worry ( ), NO <br /><br />Hopefully I will have someone in the 3+ to push me a bit

[old] hennmart

e-row

Post by [old] hennmart » August 24th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Sunday 28th of august marathon 8 lanes were occupied with rowers for a long time. I Checked today and there was nobody left; what is happened? <br /><br />Hennie

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » August 24th, 2005, 4:34 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-hennmart+Aug 24 2005, 02:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(hennmart @ Aug 24 2005, 02:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sunday 28th of august marathon 8 lanes were occupied with rowers for a long time. I Checked today and there was nobody left; what is happened?  <br /><br />Hennie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think it was just a lot of different things. Bert hurt his back, Paul went to the other marathon then decided to go camping, I can't row any Sunday mornings until sometime in December, Frank figured it was going to be too hot, and have know idea about Ernie.... It's a bummer. <br /><br />Jeff

[old] H_2O

e-row

Post by [old] H_2O » August 29th, 2005, 11:14 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Andreas+Aug 23 2005, 12:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Andreas @ Aug 23 2005, 12:40 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I read somewhere that Michael was also going to pull out. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I am planning to take part even though it is very inconvenient<br />(I have to move the rower to Vienna where I have the internet connection).<br />I am not in the best of shape despite lots of rowing.<br />I had to do about 2000 miles of driving and strenuous sightseeing in the last three weeks and am pretty exhausted.<br /><br />I hope I can recover to some degree but there is no possibility that I will be close to 2:35. Just the same I am looking forward to the race.<br /><br />

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » August 31st, 2005, 3:19 pm

<br /> Michael,I'm glad to see that you are still in for the FM.<br />I' m also not in the shape I hoped for (have a lot of work stress lately and training wasnt the best)<br /><br />I'm going to start with 1:50 splits and see how long I can last.<br /><br />Still hoping that more guys/girsl will join in the "fun" <br />

[old] H_2O

e-row

Post by [old] H_2O » September 2nd, 2005, 4:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Andreas+Aug 31 2005, 02:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Andreas @ Aug 31 2005, 02:19 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Michael,I'm glad to see that you are still in for the FM. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I just arrived in Vienna after a 250 mile drive with the erg in the trunk of the car<br />only to find out that I did not bring the cable that connects the monitor to the computer. So I can't take part in the race. I also saw that there are only two participants signed up as yet.<br /><br />I'll row a marathon at the fitness center (where it's cooler) but am still interested in a race at some point in the future. Maybe we can schedule one when the weather is bad in South Africa.

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » September 3rd, 2005, 5:54 pm

The marathon is over with 3 participant only (almost 16 were regiter 2 months ago). Andreas with a whopping time of 2:35 hrs and Holm with 3:00 hrs and me the turtle with a final time of 3:09 hrs. <br /><br />It was a very difficult marathon for me I did not have the usual drive. After the first half I was falling apart legs cramp swetting (temps was 33c) feel very unconfortable, but now this is done. I am very happy, I did it. Holm suffer for the first 10K but he went on the cruise control for the rest of the 32K. Andreas well not much to said "Wow" and he pretend he was out of shape (do I wish do be out of shape like this) pacing a marathon at 1:50 very well done.<br /><br />Hope to see more participant next time, Happy erging and see you soon.

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » September 3rd, 2005, 5:58 pm

Andreas sandbagging again?!<br /><br />Great row by all of you, a Marathon is a hard thing to do, that is way I have yet to try one.<br /><br />Respect to all 3 of you <br /><br />Sir P

[old] eparizeau

e-row

Post by [old] eparizeau » September 3rd, 2005, 8:32 pm

Well done you guys....I wish I was in your level of fitness. I'm inspired to push harder so I can join in the next one. Ernie

[old] holm188

e-row

Post by [old] holm188 » September 4th, 2005, 4:14 am

this was my first marathon. Started with stomach cramps, then had to play witht the aircon (I did not want to do it outside as my usual rows), then started the DVD around 2 hours to go. This is where I think I have room to improve towards the 3 hour limit. Also some more marathon experience. I look forward to the next one.....but not before 2 months at least!!!<br /><br />Sir P I think the hardest moment of the marathon for you is to get to the start, for the first you will never be ready enough, so do it when you are not ready then you have room for improvement!!! That's why I did it this time, I was expecting a time about 10 min slower, so I'm in pain now but happy!! and I got 100 bonus in the Nonathlon!!!

[old] holm188

e-row

Post by [old] holm188 » September 4th, 2005, 4:26 am

Andreas and Captain, great to row the marathon with you. <br />Andreas: was that your fastest? I looked in the ranking and you seem faster than last year?<br />Captain: I hope we can race again especially when the weather is a little cooler for you !!!

[old] Andreas

e-row

Post by [old] Andreas » September 4th, 2005, 9:31 am

Well done Alain and Holm.I have great respect for you guys that manage to stay on the machine for more than 3 hours.Holm you right, you must do a firts one to be able to do beter the next time.(Pirate I hope you read this)<br /><br />When I dicided to do this FM( about 2 Mouths ago), I was hoping to be fit enough to beter Paul's 2:34.09.My training went well till about 2 week ago.I'm still under huge work presure and I almost pulled out, but I thought what the h***... let me try.<br />If I blew....well, then I blew!!!!<br /><br />I started of at 1:48.5 pace, trying to build up a bid of resurve for the end.I was able to keep it there till halfway(went through 21k in sub 1:17), but I realized at this point that it was going to be tough to keep it up.<br /><br />I faded to target pace(1:49.5) with 12k to go, then I could't keep it there anymore.<br />I lost 1min39 sec in the last 12k.Disipointed in that, but if I take everything in account(not well prepared,1000m above sea level,lots of stress lately and nobody to chase or to try and stay ahead of)...not to bad<br /><br />It is a PB for me(2:35:39.3/pace:1:50.7).The thing about a FM is, that it takes a lot out of you(me anyway),<br />so I don't know when I will have another attempt at that 2:34.<br /><br />Next one I surely want to do it at sea level.<br /><br />I will concentrate on my preparation for BIRC now(getting into more speedwork)<br /><br /> <br /><br />

[old] holm188

e-row

Post by [old] holm188 » September 4th, 2005, 10:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Andreas+Sep 4 2005, 08:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Andreas @ Sep 4 2005, 08:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well done Alain and Holm.I have great respect for you guys that manage to stay on the machine for more than 3 hours. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, you can always go for a 50k to get the feeling... <br /><br />Congratulation for your PB!<br />