Marathon Challenge -- Any Takers?

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] runningun

e-row

Post by [old] runningun » July 15th, 2005, 9:23 pm

We now have a full marathon (eight lanes) scheduled for August 26th on RowPro. <br /><br />I am hereby issuing a "challenge" to any other marathon race scheduled within two weeks (earlier or later): our eight, lowest cumulative time, against any other six or more, lowest cumulative time. (If there are less than 8, we will multiply by 7/8 or 6/8 to equate the scores.)<br /><br />Prize to include bragging rights...worldwide... not sure what else!! <br /><br />Any takers?<br /><br />(Note: we have at least one first timer, one or two second timers, but we'll take on any other race of six or more rowers.)<br /><br />Bert

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » July 16th, 2005, 8:25 am

<!--QuoteBegin-runningun+Jul 15 2005, 09:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(runningun @ Jul 15 2005, 09:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->We now have a full marathon (eight lanes) scheduled for August 26th on RowPro.  <br /><br />(Note:  we have at least one first timer, one or two second timers, but we'll take on any other race of six or more rowers.)<br /><br />Bert <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think we have at least two first timers. This will be my first marathon as well....<br /><br />Jeff

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » July 16th, 2005, 12:26 pm

I have never rowed a FM before, but <b>MAY</b> attempt one during the date on/or between Wednesday 31st & Friday September 3rd 2005.<br /><br />Any time between 09.00 GMT, and no later than 16:00 GMT would suit me, if anyone sets up one on-line.<br /><br />Sir P <br />

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » July 17th, 2005, 5:25 pm

Ok I register one race for Sep3 at 13:00 gmt. I think the competition is quite strong (no wonder they send a challenge) but I am looking foward to kick some XXX.

[old] runningun

e-row

Post by [old] runningun » July 17th, 2005, 9:21 pm

Now I am a little worried. I know Alain is a very tough lightweight.... The question is, can he find another four or more to go the distance with him???

[old] Leif

e-row

Post by [old] Leif » July 18th, 2005, 7:04 am

<!--QuoteBegin-runningun+Jul 18 2005, 03:21 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(runningun @ Jul 18 2005, 03:21 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Now I am a little worried.  I know Alain is a very tough lightweight....  The question is, can he find another four or more to go the distance with him??? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Due to the fact, that there only are heavy-weights in the first race, I should take the chance to switch to the other race with Alain. <br /><br />Happy erging<br /><br />Leif

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » July 18th, 2005, 10:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Leif+Jul 18 2005, 07:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leif @ Jul 18 2005, 07:04 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Due to the fact, that there only are heavy-weights in the first race, I should take the chance to switch to the other race with Alain. <br /><br />Happy erging<br /><br />Leif <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What about me??? <br /><br />I'm not worried about rowing against heavy weights. I'm just going to see how fast I can go and if I can hang on for the distance. This will be my first marathon, and most likely will be hot.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] Leif

e-row

Post by [old] Leif » July 18th, 2005, 12:05 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jfisher+Jul 18 2005, 04:29 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jfisher @ Jul 18 2005, 04:29 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Leif+Jul 18 2005, 07:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Leif @ Jul 18 2005, 07:04 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Due to the fact, that there only are heavy-weights in the first race, I should take the chance to switch to the other race with Alain. <br /><br />Happy erging<br /><br />Leif <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What about me??? <br /><br />I'm not worried about rowing against heavy weights. I'm just going to see how fast I can go and if I can hang on for the distance. This will be my first marathon, and most likely will be hot.<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br /> <br /> <br /><br />My 1st FM too. The race at 13h GMT fits me much better. Lets have a look hao many will sign in for the 2nd one.<br /><br />Happy erging,<br />Leif

[old] John Rupp

e-row

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 18th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Great idea but -- just curious -- why in the summer?<br /><br />Isn't it hot where you guys are?

[old] captain

e-row

Post by [old] captain » August 21st, 2005, 12:56 pm

What happen to all those interested rowers into the "marathon challenge". <br />A few weeks ago everything look good and seem we where going to get a good challenging marathon race, and now those "ergy" rowers most of them withdraw, and kind of let me alone with those big heavyweight.<br /><br />"Please Help"

[old] jfisher

e-row

Post by [old] jfisher » August 21st, 2005, 4:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-captain+Aug 21 2005, 12:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(captain @ Aug 21 2005, 12:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What happen to all those interested rowers into the  "marathon challenge". <br />A few weeks ago everything look good and seem we where going to get a good challenging marathon race, and now those "ergy" rowers most of them withdraw, and kind of let me alone with those big heavyweight.<br /><br />"Please Help"      <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm testing for my 1st degree black belt in December and am now training on Sundays with my Sensei and some others. That's why I've pulled out. I'm still hoping to get a marathon in sometime in September though.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] FrankJ

e-row

Post by [old] FrankJ » August 21st, 2005, 6:13 pm

Captain,<br /><br />I've just pulled out because I rowed a harder half marathon today and lost 4 lbs. doing it while drinking every 3K . I figure a full marathon would be close to 8 lbs and that is too much for me. I plan on waiting until the end of September or October before giving it a shot. I really need the temperature down around 60 degrees or less for a serious marathon.<br /><br />Frank

[old] Canoeist

e-row

Post by [old] Canoeist » August 21st, 2005, 7:59 pm

I was really hurting during my half marathon today too. I could only manage a 1:53 pace and my HR was up to 186 bpm at the end. This is bad when compared to my marathons in cool weather when I row at a 1:50 pace and my HR is around 155 bpm at the half way point.<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] eparizeau

e-row

Post by [old] eparizeau » August 22nd, 2005, 7:41 am

Captain -<br /><br />My apologies. Wish I had a good reason. I just have been too lazy! Need to get more distance training in before I put myself through this brain damage. <br /><br />...Would keep typing but I need to go lie on the beach and think about this dilemma. <br /><br />Best, Ernie

[old] Sir Pirate

e-row

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » August 22nd, 2005, 9:03 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Sir Pirate+Jul 16 2005, 04:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Sir Pirate @ Jul 16 2005, 04:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have never rowed a FM before, but <b>MAY</b> attempt one during the date on/or between Wednesday 31st & Friday September 3rd 2005.<br /><br />Any time between 09.00 GMT, and no later than 16:00 GMT would suit me, if anyone sets up one on-line.<br /><br />Sir P <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Like I said, I can make it during these dates/times. Can not to the Saturday though.<br /><br />Sir Pirate