LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

DUCKMARX
1k Poster

if you add about 5 more minutes to your daily rowing session

Post by DUCKMARX » June 19th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Jan, I'll add "5 more minutes" to my daily rowing session if a draft can help you get to "Lucky 7!" ( . . . by the end of the month!) AJ :D

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Re: Congrats!

Post by Toothdoc » June 19th, 2010, 12:33 pm

DuluthMoose wrote:Congratulations Will S on being the first Loonie to row one million meters this young season. May you row many more!
Ditto! See ya in Aug. Maybe you can teach me how to go long.

danno

Kristine Strasburger
10k Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Kristine Strasburger » June 20th, 2010, 1:24 am

Wooohooo! New teammate David Mukai is a great friend of ours from the days we lived in Laramie, WY. He found a C2 rower at the local gym where he's living in New Zeland now, and sent me a facebook message about it because of my C2 logbook app on my facebook page, and now he's on the team...I love it! David cooks an amazing BBQ, and plays a mean Ukelele. I don't know if he has checked out the Team Room here yet or not, but hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.
☆~Kristine~☆

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » June 20th, 2010, 2:27 am

Kristine Strasburger wrote:Wooohooo! New teammate David Mukai is a great friend of ours from the days we lived in Laramie, WY. He found a C2 rower at the local gym where he's living in New Zeland now, and sent me a facebook message about it because of my C2 logbook app on my facebook page, and now he's on the team...I love it! David cooks an amazing BBQ, and plays a mean Ukelele. I don't know if he has checked out the Team Room here yet or not, but hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.
welcome david....

Toothdoc
10k Poster

Post by Toothdoc » June 20th, 2010, 9:19 am

Welcome David

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Re: if you add about 5 more minutes to your daily rowing ses

Post by Kona2 » June 20th, 2010, 10:28 am

DUCKMARX wrote:Jan, I'll add "5 more minutes" to my daily rowing session if a draft can help you get to "Lucky 7!" ( . . . by the end of the month!) AJ :D
Ah, the drafting or slipstreaming effect! While I've been known to use the analogy of the slipstream in describing the opportunities that exist between operations departments at points of handoff, I hadn't thought of drafting in terms of rowing! For those who may be shaking their heads at this point, bear with me for a moment or two! In cycling, there are "packs" of cyclists who are literally on each others wheels as they zip along - speeding past like a train. This is all well and good until someone's wheel touches another wheel and then you have a horrific crash. Slipstream describes the low pressure air zone that follows the lead rider's wheel. The rider directly behind the wheel benefits from this low pressure zone by not having to exert as much energy as s/he would if they were riding independently - the following cyclist is literally pulled along...like drafting behind a big truck (not recommended). Equally, the rider in front is "pushed" along by the effect as well so that there are benefits for both parties. But I digress.

Thus I appreciate the offer to allow me to draft off your rowing efforts, AJ , in order to reach lifetime 7 million meters by end of month. My dilemma is getting enough hours of bike time prior to some of the cycling events that I have signed up to complete - one of which is the MS150 - and it is next weekend. Some of my training rides are in the 30 to 50 mile categories, and I find that I just don't have enough time or umphf left to do rowing, too!

Here are a couple of photos from yesterday's ride:

Image Wild kingdom! Hahaha - there are a couple of places in and around Denver area where developers and parks have placed large cutouts of buffalo....creating mini-herds...and, if I hadn't stopped here out of humor, I wouldn't have known that a new regional park was being created as it is not visible from the highway...
Image...

And, finally, I like to collect photos of different kinds of mailboxes during my bike journeys....this one reminded me of the movie Wallye (however it might be spelled):

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.19.10

Post by Kona2 » June 20th, 2010, 10:43 am

ImageImageImage

Woohoo! CONGRATULATIONS, Team LunaTic, on achieving a NINE million meter season!!Image

Season meters as of 50/365 = 9,044,220 m

Total meters on the day = 115,662 m

Oars in space (participation) = 19 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

Image Will S earns a half moon for a 30,000 m posting!
Image Minnie with another half marathon!

And thanks to all today's crew for every single meter! Marvelous, simply, marvelous!

Peter G 5,000 m
Jim 5,002 m
Gina 6,650 m
Steven L 10,000 m
Rodrigo 11,069 m
Dan 12,423 m
Darryl 14,421 m
Chris 21,097 m
Will 30,000 m

It's Father's Day here in the US - so Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there! Wishing you blue skies and good rowing whenever and wherever you row!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » June 20th, 2010, 12:04 pm

wooo hooo on nine million and happy father's day to all the dads out there...

kiwi cowboy
Paddler

Post by kiwi cowboy » June 21st, 2010, 4:54 am

Kristine Strasburger wrote:Wooohooo! New teammate David Mukai is a great friend of ours from the days we lived in Laramie, WY. He found a C2 rower at the local gym where he's living in New Zeland now, and sent me a facebook message about it because of my C2 logbook app on my facebook page, and now he's on the team...I love it! David cooks an amazing BBQ, and plays a mean Ukelele. I don't know if he has checked out the Team Room here yet or not, but hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.
Thanks for the warm welcome Kristine! I was able to do the 21k solstice challenge (in two legs, 12k and 9.5k). Being in the first country across the dateline, I was the second person to post to the challenge and the first LUNA-TIC!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » June 21st, 2010, 8:51 am

Howdy fellow lunatics....I've been off the ERG the last few days due to some inflamation in my shoulder from weight training.....

Not sure whether I'll get another row before we head off on our 4 week 'outback trip' this weekend. Off to the Gulf Savannah Country.

I'll pop in when I can, and take you'all..

Cheers BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: ONE Million Meters for Will S

Post by BAZzy » June 21st, 2010, 8:52 am

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImage

Woohoo and hooyah! Congratulations, Will S, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!
Great work Will......Cheers BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 6.20.10

Post by Kona2 » June 21st, 2010, 9:12 am

ImageImage

Hooyah...and the Kiwi Cowboy lassos the first LunaTic Solstice Row! In fact, he rows enough meters to earn a half moon (half moon = greater than or equal to 21,097 m and less than 42,195 m). Well done, David M!

Season meters as of 51/365 = 9,166,856 m

Total meters on the day = 122,636 m

Oars in space (participation) = 21 percent

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

Image Dan posts 32,289 m for a half moon and top of the leaderboard
ImageImage David M posts 21,500 m for a half moon and a Solstice Row
ImageChris, aka Image posts a half marathon...#31...

And thanks to all today's crew for rowing all these meters:

Peter G 5,000 m
Jim 5,000 m
Noelle 5,013 m
Rich 5,016 m
AJ 5,215 m
Steven L 10,000 m
Greg H 12,506 m
Chris 21,097 m
David M 21,500 m
Dan 32,289 m

Word is that these guys can be seen in a recently released movie....

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by bg » June 21st, 2010, 11:50 am

BAZzy wrote:Howdy fellow lunatics....I've been off the ERG the last few days due to some inflamation in my shoulder from weight training.....

Not sure whether I'll get another row before we head off on our 4 week 'outback trip' this weekend. Off to the Gulf Savannah Country.

I'll pop in when I can, and take you'all..

Cheers BBB
ouch...sorry to hear about your shoulder...enjoy your trip....

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » June 21st, 2010, 12:15 pm

BAZzy - Have a great month long outback trip. Looking forward to hearing about that adventure. And take care of that shoulder.

David M - I'm impressed with your introductory row! Welcome aboard the ship!

brotherjim
10k Poster

Post by brotherjim » June 22nd, 2010, 6:35 am

Congratulations to each of you Looneys who completed the Summer Solstice row. :D Way to row. Not easy on a Monday. Keep having a great season.
jim