Handle Bio-mechanics

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Slidewinder
2k Poster

Re: Handle Bio-mechanics

Post by Slidewinder » June 3rd, 2010, 9:32 am

Citroen:
In past posts you have expressed difficulty in understanding what is being accomplished with the Slidewinder handle. A few days ago I uploaded a short video to YouTube, "Slidewinder on the Water", which I expect will help you with that understanding.
Robert

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » June 3rd, 2010, 9:41 am

Bloomp:
In past posts you have criticised the position of my hands at the completion of the stroke, suggesting that my bad form is being caused by the Slidewinder handle. A few days ago I uploaded a brief video to YouTube ("Don't blame Slidewinder"), which shows that the fault is with me and not the handle.
Robert

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » June 3rd, 2010, 9:47 am

To the technically minded:
You might be interested in this short video, recently uploaded to YouTube: "Slidewinder goes to school".
In it, I demonstrate and explain the purpose of the two small knobs I'm seen adjusting in the first video, when exercising using the hand over hand action.
Robert

bloomp
10k Poster

Post by bloomp » June 3rd, 2010, 11:00 pm

Look, if you refuse to realize that the new handle DOESN'T change the muscles used, please answer this.

What is the max wattage your handle has encountered? I bet at 400+ watts you would have some issues with it's durability... What about the scullers that don't go hand over hand?

You have to realize that it is unrealistic for C2 to ship a handle like this. It is much too fine-tuned for use by the masses and adds a lot of complex moving components that would be difficult to maintain or fix when broken. If it's so amazing, why don't you market it and put YOUR money on the line trying to get everyone to use this new product.
24, 166lbs, 5'9

Slidewinder
2k Poster

Post by Slidewinder » June 4th, 2010, 9:03 am

Bloomp:
You ask, "What about scullers who don't go hand over hand?"
Very simple: Then don't use the hand over hand action. It's an option. It's just one of several stroke geometries enabled by the Slidewinder handle. (Please watch my brief video "Slidewinder shows the way")

Durability of the Slidewinder handle? This is a non-issue. The handle's physical elements have four points of rotation. How many points of rotation are in an average automobile engine, and how many times does a piston go up and down during the life of that engine? The Slidewinder handle is strong and durable. One of the most powerful rowers on the Trent University Rowing Club went all out with the handle. Nothing happened to it. The 5/16" pins holding the handgrip brackets to the handle arms have a tensile strength far exceeding the strength of the C2 chain. The chain would break before the handle.

Too fine tuned and complex for the user? How difficult is it to adjust two knobs to your preference before exercising using the hand over hand action? It's no more difficult than adjusting the damper setting on the flywheel.

Thankyou for your comments and questions.

Chappers
Paddler

Post by Chappers » March 10th, 2013, 9:15 am

Newbie here so I fear I'm in the wrong thread, room and myriad other things but here goes. Just purchased an Oartec slider and wondering if anyone as any experience of swapping out the handle for a rowperfect spring loaded type affair. Heads up. I am an absolute Luddite with any build projects soft as to be baboon proof.

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » March 11th, 2013, 10:36 pm

I have a Rowperfect erg with the spring loaded handle that you described. I don't see any reason why you can't fit this handle to any other erg as long as both ergs use the same size/width chain. It's just a matter then of using a chain breaker tool to separate and connect the unique link(make sure that this part comes with your handle when you order it) from the Rowperfect handle onto the Oartec Slider chain. Although the timber Rowperfect handle is heavier than others I prefer its shape and weight to other erg handles. You will definetly notice the spring action in the handle which does a good job of giving the sensation of an oar bending in the water during the stroke. I would imagine that someone who has never rowed on the water would also enjoy this sensation of this unique erg feature.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.