fast track programme ? from uk site

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
biglou13
Paddler

fast track programme ? from uk site

Post by biglou13 » April 25th, 2010, 8:59 pm

assigned 180 bursts

im in group 2

Aim: Speed work using the Creatine phosphate energy system. 10 strokes bursts flat out.
Level 1 & 2 performed in groups of 60 (6x10). i.e. 300 strokes are 5(6x10).
Level 3 & 4 groups of 80 (8x10).
Level 5 in groups of 100 (10x10).
Rest between bursts is when heart rate returns to rest x 2.

? for bursts is it 10 strokes flat out rest until resting hr

? after 6 bursts take longer rest? see groups of 60 (6x10) x3

?what does UT stand for?

?also what is work to rest days its a 4 day cylcle is it 4 on 1 off or??

? does ' (single quotation) mean minutes and " ( double quotation) mean seconds

? (PYR) 15-30-15 is it 15 on 15 light 30 on 30 light 15on 15light?

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: fast track programme ? from uk site

Post by jamesg » May 3rd, 2010, 12:57 am

Most of your conclusions look correct; Terry wants hard reading as well as hard training.

Bursts are 10 strokes, then rest long enough to do the next one just as fast.
After "sets" or "groups" of bursts there is a 4 minute rest, which I for one would be very glad of.

UT means Utilization; there are three levels, unsurprisingly called 1, 2 and 3; descriptions in the "definitions" section.
The program was for oarsmen who could row Sat and Sun plus two other days; so presumably Sat-Sun-Tue-Thu.

' and " are standard notation for minutes and seconds, of both time and angles.

Pyr, as you say.

The main problem to me is the pace or Wattage to use in the bursts. I think I'd start by pulling strokes at full length and force, but limiting the rating to just over race-cruise level. In other words, no shortening just to increase the rating. Then adjust rating according to survival time.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

biglou13
Paddler

Post by biglou13 » May 3rd, 2010, 9:42 am

thanks!!! for the info

"The main problem to me is the pace or Wattage to use in the bursts. I think I'd start by pulling strokes at full length and force, but limiting the rating to just over race-cruise level. In other words, no shortening just to increase the rating. Then adjust rating according to survival time."

i may have some insight here
a burst is basically an interval should be at a level or above race level. (GOOGLE tabata protocol or tabata interval)

another concept primarily in near max intervals is the point of decreasing returns eg. watts drop speed , output drops etc your getting minimal training effect from interval= longer rest break or your finished with intervals

when you say shortening im assuming you mean length of stroke and rating stokes per minute?

your referring to multiple domains all which should be trained. and or understood as different yet synergistic entities.
rate = speed watts = power

im some what new to rowing but in other sport/fitness respect and training is given to mutiple modalities

in this case attention must be paid separately to power/watts speed/stroke rate

i think i agree with you in that it is important to train a appropriate stroke vs a short one, and at other sessions train for speed/rate (perhaps at lower damper setting), i also assume a burst is max effort which in my thought is max output which to me means max distance for 10 strokes

NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Post by NavigationHazard » May 3rd, 2010, 10:10 am

If it's coming from Terry O'Neill, a "burst" almost certainly is intended to be a flat-out spurt. See another version of the same training idea at

http://www.oarsport.co.uk/training#training6
67 MH 6' 6"