LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Leaky Tiki
Paddler

Re: Rich is a meter millionaire!

Post by Leaky Tiki » January 29th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Kona2 wrote:ImageImageImage

Woohoo! Another meter millionaire! Congratulations, Rich, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!
Fantastic job, Rich! You've come on like gangbusters to nail that first million.

Mike M.

Gyrodon
Paddler

Post by Gyrodon » January 29th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the congratulatory messages. I had to do something to celebrate my one year anniversary of my emergency bypass surgery. G -l-o- r-i-a (Gloria) did not want me to do a full marathon (she is a very smart lady) so I worked hard to get my first million today. As far as I am concerned I am now done with my "rehabilitation" and it is time to just get on with living.

Rich

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 1.28.10

Post by bg » January 29th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Leaky Tiki wrote:
Kona2 wrote:Mike M with (56,245 m) to go! Looking for that lost shaker of salt...Tiki Man is absent...
Very absent.....I tried to resume my less than stellar racquetball career with my teen age son Tuesday, and the back wrenching it produced cost me three days off. A man's got to know his limitations.

-Mike M.
ouch...sending healing thoughts your way...

Calamity
1k Poster

pirite alert

Post by Calamity » January 29th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Pirate alert! Pirate alert!

Community rowing has passed us in the JVC by about 200.000!

Two more days to row row row

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » January 29th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Leaky Tiki wrote: Very absent.....I tried to resume my less than stellar racquetball career with my teen age son Tuesday, and the back wrenching it produced cost me three days off. A man's got to know his limitations.

-Mike M.
One thing that you didn't get from the racquetball experience was a popped Achilles tendon....I'm betting that aside from a few on the team (Moose comes to mind) that not many do stretches before rowing. My thought is that rowing puts a gentle enough stretch on the Achilles to keep us all from "blowing" it when we decide to participate in some of these stop and go sports. Anyone else think that?

Hope the back is better soon!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Pirate Alert!

Post by Kona2 » January 29th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Jane's right - we've been passed....by about 780K at this moment...this is SO par for the course. Makes everyone play a bit differently....including us.

4 RowPro Online Virtual Club 15,246,199
5 Community Rowing, Inc Rowing Club 14,165,699
6 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 13,384,388
7 HAVK Mladost Rowing Club 12,980,399
8 Team Canada Virtual Club 12,019,948

Aaaarg! Never say die! Never give in!

Where's our secret weapon kept these days anyway?

BAZzy
6k Poster

Re: Rich is a meter millionaire!

Post by BAZzy » January 30th, 2010, 4:26 am

bg wrote:

Woohoo! Another meter millionaire! Congratulations, Rich, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!
wooo hoooo rich...
Good work Rich...BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

DuluthMoose
5k Poster

Post by DuluthMoose » January 30th, 2010, 8:56 am

Kona2 wrote:
Leaky Tiki wrote: Very absent.....I tried to resume my less than stellar racquetball career with my teen age son Tuesday, and the back wrenching it produced cost me three days off. A man's got to know his limitations.

-Mike M.
One thing that you didn't get from the racquetball experience was a popped Achilles tendon....I'm betting that aside from a few on the team (Moose comes to mind) that not many do stretches before rowing. My thought is that rowing puts a gentle enough stretch on the Achilles to keep us all from "blowing" it when we decide to participate in some of these stop and go sports. Anyone else think that?

Hope the back is better soon!
Mike - Take care of that back.

Kona2 - I think you are correct on that. No doubt in my mind that rowing does good things with gentle streches on your joints and torso and keeps you more limber. But I'm also a believer that the older you get, the more you are pushing your luck doing stop and go sports especially when exerting in off balance situations. As far as stretching....I usually row pretty early in the moring and therefore I do have to go through a stretching routine before I start rowing and a warmup before I go for any intense rowing, like going after a pb. But those who row later in the day have already walked, climbed stairs, etc and are probably in a better "good to go" state.

Rich - Congratulatins on Achieving One Million Meters for this Season!

Well team, my 31 consecutive days of rowing this month may be in jeopardy today. At 8AM I have a commitment for hours and hours of kp, peeling boxes and boxes of rutabagas in preparation for our church dinner tomorrow. We will see how many show up and how long it takes....

Dave_H
2k Poster

Re: Pirate Alert!

Post by Dave_H » January 30th, 2010, 9:20 am

Kona2 wrote:Jane's right - we've been passed....by about 780K at this moment...this is SO par for the course. Makes everyone play a bit differently....including us.

4 RowPro Online Virtual Club 15,246,199
5 Community Rowing, Inc Rowing Club 14,165,699
6 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 13,384,388
7 HAVK Mladost Rowing Club 12,980,399
8 Team Canada Virtual Club 12,019,948

Aaaarg! Never say die! Never give in!

Where's our secret weapon kept these days anyway?
Hmmm, Wild Bill is awfully quiet... and then there is the cyber-restricted Kiba... and maybe Tom P or even Aussie Angelo might pop up with a few bonus meters...
Last day for OZ... wish I could have done more :(

Doctor Dan... glad the idea had some merit! Sounds like we need to patent the idea and market it back to C2! :wink: :lol:

Happy erging all!
Dave

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 1.29.10

Post by Kona2 » January 30th, 2010, 11:15 am

Image Behold the rutabaga!

While reading Darryl's post about KP duties this morning, I realized that I didn't have a clue about what a rutabaga looked like (would I even recognize it at the grocers?! Was this a veggie for penance or celebration!?!), so I went to one of my favorite "research" spots aka Wiki. In recent years, as I've perused different recipes - many brought up on this team's forum - I've realized that I grew up ignoring a whole series of bins at the market. Now I'm a little worried about this interest I suddenly have in rutabagas because the last time I had a new veggie interest, it was beets....and brought about because our own foodie Minnie described a beet and jicama salad. I like both those ingredients and thought it would be fun to make - didn't have the faintest idea how to cook a beet. Minnie helpfully provided directions and insight into beet cooking, peeling and didn't laugh at my lack of knowledge. Well, I found beets at the grocers - big beets, little beets - all kinds of beets. By the time I finished cooking them, my *** DELETE - SPAM *** looked like a crime scene...beet parts and beet juice everywhere. Of course, it didn't help that the next time I had the courage to look at that part of the veggie bins, I noted that there was a package of fresh, ready to eat prepared beets....I would have missed the fun. So you can see why I am wary. But I digress from 'baga-ness.

From eHow:
"The rutabaga gets its name from the Swedish words for "thick root" and is a popular vegetable throughout both Scandinavia and the northern areas of the United States. It is believed to be a cross between the cabbage and turnip. Rutabagas are a bit sweeter than turnips and have a high nutritional value. The root is eaten either cooked or raw, and the leaves are tasty when served in a salad."

Good luck with your KP duties, Moose and thanks for sending me down one of the bunny trails of the mind.Image

Woohoo! ImageImage Eighty-eight million meters! What a team!

Season meters as of 274/365 = 88,204,219 m

Total meters on the day = 229,079 m

Oars in space (participation) = 17 percent

MILESTONES....Bragging Rights....Celebrations:

2.4 MM Dave
2.1 MM Jim
1.0 MM Rich ....our 25th meter millionaire! Congratulations on a year of recovery...and finding the moonlit path of rowing!
100K ImageG-l-o-r-i-aImage Whoa..two biggie milestones in one household!

Image Woohoo! Top of the leader board AND your first million meter season...darn good day! Rich with 29,823 m and a half moon! See notes on full marathons before you go there...
Image Dan M with a half moon and 21,144 m....might be a half marathon...you've been working up to the right distances...let me know....
Image Dave with half marathon # 67 ( I think)
Image Mike M Image With half marathon # 5 (although I lost count for a few days so could be more)

And congratulations to all today's rowing Luna-Tics for moving us closer to the moon!

Terry B 5,000 m
Debbie V 5,000 m
ImageG-l-o-r-i-aImage 5,158 m
Jane 6,505 m
Tony ImageImageImageImage whoa...thought I was seeing double there for a minute, but Tony says the aliens didn't get him yesterday...double posting of ImageImageImageImage
Steven L 7,210 m
K2 10,943 m
Baz 16,098 m
Darryl 18,082 m
Mike M 21,097 m
Dave 21,097 m
Dan M 21,114 m
Rich 29,823 m

Have a blue sky day wherever you row....and eat your veggies, people!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Luna-Tics January Virtual Team Challenge: Thru Day 29

Post by Kona2 » January 30th, 2010, 11:32 am

Image Image TWO days.....and this Challenge is a wrap.

Never fear....there are more....and if we're not smiling about the team ranking by the finish....well, there is the World Rowing Challenge coming up in April....followed by Marathon Madness. We should fit right in!

Challenge meters thru day 29 = 13,587,287 m

Total meters on the day = 374,756 m

1 Age Without Limits Virtual Club 54,047,034
2 Free Spirits Virtual Club 21,676,676
3 THE ANCIENTS Virtual Club 16,586,337
4 RowPro Online Virtual Club 15,401,036
5 Community Rowing, Inc Rowing Club 14,382,352
6 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 13,587,287
7 HAVK Mladost Rowing Club 12,990,399
8 Team Canada Virtual Club 12,099,292
9 ARIEL TOY Virtual Club 11,388,394
10 Riverside Rowing Club 11,123,113

Give it a go! Row, row, row!

Kona2
Marathon Poster

And the beet goes on....

Post by Kona2 » January 30th, 2010, 2:11 pm

4 RowPro Online Virtual Club 15,496,692
5 Community Rowing, Inc Rowing Club 15,390,675
6 LUNA-TICS Virtual Club 13,924,516

7 HAVK Mladost Rowing Club 12,990,399
8 Team Canada Virtual Club 12,150,078
9 ARIEL TOY Virtual Club 11,416,675

Another million meters (1.1 MM) added by our closest competitors (they are holding meters in reserve, guaranteed) ...RowPro will be their lunch today....I personally am holding on to the belief that we will hit our 14.7 MM goal....it's going to happen!

BAZzy
6k Poster

Post by BAZzy » January 30th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Go team Lun-a-tics!

Humid morning in Sydney...drank a litre of 'Endura' (magnesium drink) after my row and can't tell you how good it was!!

I'm assuming 'beets' are beetroot?? Love them at our place!

Cheers
BBB
"Those who don't think it can be done shouldn't bother the person doing it..."
www.thelandy.com

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Another meter millionaire!

Post by Kona2 » January 30th, 2010, 9:45 pm

ImageImageImage

Woohoo! This is why we row! The thrill of crossing those biggie milestone markers! Congratulations, Tracy, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!

bg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Another meter millionaire!

Post by bg » January 31st, 2010, 12:00 am

Woohoo! This is why we row! The thrill of crossing those biggie milestone markers! Congratulations, Tracy, on achieving a ONE million meter season! We wish you many, many more!
wooo hooooo tracy....